Start by marking “ABOVE HIS STATION” as Want to Read:
ABOVE HIS STATION

ABOVE HIS STATION

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  8 reviews
As the new guard at Regal Street Underground station takes his post, he is unaware that something extraordinary has affected the entire population of London. Isolated on the station platform with no other person in sight, the guard is completely cut-off from the world above…until a foul-mouthed talking rat informs him that he is probably better off where he is, as chaos ha ...more
ebook, Kindle
Published June 28th 2012 (first published June 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about ABOVE HIS STATION, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ABOVE HIS STATION

Ian
It’s not often I’ll write a review of a book, but it’s not often I get to read something so very, very different.

This is not a normal book, IT’S GREAT!

Right, that’s got the pull quote out of the way… which should make someone happy.

Now, what to say about the book per se… well… now comes the trickier part, because at least 90% of the joy of reading this is the constantly nagging question in the mind of what the hell is going on here? It’s not often that one can really have the feeling of discover
Mike
I can forgive a lot when a book makes me laugh. Even sending me a postapocalyptic novel to review when my reviewer profile clearly states "no postapocalyptic". It's such a silly apocalypse, though, that Darren Craske gets away with it.

(Especially given the harsh words about lawyers in the book, the lawyers for whoever owns the lyrics to "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" will probably be less forgiving. The author would be well advised to paraphrase instead of quoting.)

It's very British humour. If you do
Rebecca
Jul 22, 2012 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone willing to suspend disbelief for the reward of a good laugh
Shelves: kindle-free
I really enjoyed reading this book. It is well-written and is one of the few books I've read that ACTUALLY made me laugh. Some of the subject matter is serious, but the style and several of the characters make it hilarious. Some of the scenes are absolute works of art. And believable within the context of the story. I hated to put it down when exhaustion kept me from keeping my eyes open and couldn't wait to get back to it. The second time I didn't put it down until I was finished.

There were a f
D.A. Cairns
I began this book with no expectations. The author was unknown to me other than as a tweep. I did not know what the book was about. Sometimes you just get lucky, don't you? Above His Station was terrific. I loved it.

Part mystery, part fantasy, part science fiction and all delivered with a good dose of humour. I actually laughed out loud on occasions which was a bit awkward when it happened it public places. The beginning of the book gives no hint as to what will follow, and while not exactly att
Gabriel M. Clarke
Well now! I ran across "Above His Station" when Scott Pack (@meandmybigmouth) of Firestation Book Swap fame plugged it. Normally I tend to avoid books I don't have to pay for (I have enough unread books on my shelves, physical and virtual, that I've actually paid for, thank you very much) but Scott being a Proper Agent and all, I gave it a shot.

And you know what? It was pretty good. Very good, in fact. If at all possible, DON'T read the blurb. Amble sedately through the first few pages where not
J.S. Colley
I don't know quite how to describe this novel--the main protagonists are an elderly man and a talking rat! Perhaps an "I'll-never-grow-up adult scifi fantasy?" ("Adult" because the talking rat knows some colorful language!)

From the beginning pages, you think you know what's going to happen, but you don't.

It was a fun read and, as a bonus, in the back of the book, you'll find author's notes explaining some references in the novel, and drawings of the different characters.

Definitely not your or
Faye
Really enjoyed this quirky book.... Shades of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, China Mieville's Un Lun Dun stirred up with a healthy dose of Douglas Adams' Hitch Hiker series with a deft touch of some Pratchett tongue in cheek humour. Didn't know where this author was leading me as I delved into it, but after a couple of pages, bam what a rollercoaster of a ride. Few authors surprise me like this, most enjoyable. Can't wait to read book 2, highly recommend this !
Jen
You know when you're reading a book and you're not enjoying it but you're more than halfway through and feel like you have to finish it? That. I wish I didn't suffer from that, as I'd have saved myself some misery by just quitting instead of persevering with it.

I read it to the end. I wish I hadn't.

Maybe it's the genre. I don't usually read this type of book. Pratchett and Gaiman and Adams, they're not my thing at all. If you like their stuff you'd probably like this book. But I don't and I di
N.R. Tomasheski
N.R. Tomasheski marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Bridget Gould
Bridget Gould marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Lesley
Lesley marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Courtney Wendleton
Courtney Wendleton marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Roger Royer
Roger Royer marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Rebecca Timberlake
Rebecca Timberlake marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Twilightwatchers
Twilightwatchers marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Bev
Bev marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Jose Kilbride
Jose Kilbride marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Mokona
Mokona marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Illustrator & Author - THE QUAINT CHRONICLES, THE LANTERN MENACE, ABOVE HIS STATION, LEXI DRAKE, THE ARGONAUT'S ALMANAC and more.

More about Darren Craske...
The Equivoque Principle (Cornelius Quaint Chronicles, #1) The Eleventh Plague (Cornelius Quaint Chronicles, #2) The Quaint Christmas (Cornelius Quaint Chronicles) The Lazarus Curse (Cornelius Quaint Chronicles #3) The Enthusiastic Amateur (Cornelius Quaint Chronicles)