Start by marking “The Lark Shall Sing (Waynes of Wood Mount, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lark Shall Sing (Waynes of Wood Mount, #1)

The Lark Shall Sing (Waynes of Wood Mount #1)

The six Waynes, with no parents to guide them, are six violent individualists ranging in age from nine to twenty-four. Head of the household is Lucille, red-headed, forceful, determined to make this family a going concern.

As a year’s experiment, Lucille parcels everyone out, while she herself takes a job as companion to an old lady. Eleven-year-old Simon and nine-year-old
Published 1967 by Hodder & Stoughton Ltd (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Lark Shall Sing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lark Shall Sing

Judy Goodnight
Nov 27, 2013 Judy Goodnight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mother introduced me to Elizabeth Cadell when I was first making the switch from children's books to adult books. Lo, these many years later, I still love to read EC's books. These are, in general, gentle romances, some with mysteries, about English gentlemen and gentlewomen.

The Lark Shall Sing is one of my favorites. The Wayne family has always lived at Wood Mount House. After their father's death, oldest daughter Lucille looks after her ineffectual mother and the other children: Nicholas, R
CLM
A great reread! If you can find this at your library, check it out - that might stop some librarian from discarding it - and don't forget to read it. Here is a link to my review:

Peggy
May 13, 2014 Peggy rated it it was amazing
This was my first Elizabeth Cadell, but it won't be my last. I love these old-fashioned British novels, especially when they're about quirky families like this one. It reminded me somewhat of both Margery Sharp and I Capture the Castle (although a bit more twee).
Carolyn
Dec 29, 2007 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite older books to lift my spirits. I reread it at least once a year. It is a delightful story of an orphaned family of six siblings trying to keep together and maintain their plantation style home in England. They band together against the oldest sister to save the day. Humorous.

The sequel is "Six Impossible Things" which I also reread often. You may have to find it at a used bookstore.

Rebekah
Jun 12, 2016 Rebekah rated it really liked it
Charming and humorous story of a 1950's English family in the country trying to stay a family in their beloved home. The oldest sister and head of the family (upon the loss of their parents) almost ruins her life and the lives of her 5 siblings by trying to sell the house and marrying a man totally wrong for her. Luckily, the rest of the family refuses to be bossed and split up. With the help of some "benefactors" along the way, who themselves need a family, everyone finds their hearts desire. E ...more
Susan Raymond
Apr 18, 2016 Susan Raymond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet,humorous, sophisticated

This book tells the story of the Wayne family who live in Greenhurst in the Hampshire country side. Everyone in the large family of siblings dispersed after the death of their mother who left no money to care for the large home. When eldest sister Lucille decides it is time to sell it, everyone converges on the family home and hilarity ensues. Well drawn characters, humor, love, and family ties drive the plot of this well written book. I look forward to the publicati
Mina
Feb 17, 2009 Mina rated it it was amazing
My most favorite nonChristian author.I read her books almost every year...have to put everyone on hold and still haven't found everyone of them. Very simple stories, this one very favorite, family stories, good conflicts, no bad language or inuendos, just simple clean fun to read. 1st in 3 of series.
Miki
Nov 12, 2012 Miki rated it liked it
This book was funny - and the end was really different. Without spoiling anything, I can say the last scene was about - instead of the happy ever after ending for the lovers - the jilted fiance riding off into the sunset. Strange, but interesting.
Benita
Jul 07, 2014 Benita rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elizabeth-cadell
This book was recommended to me by a friend. This is the second book I've read by this author and I loved it as much as I loved the first one. I found myself smiling as I met each character. The book was delightful and I look forward to the sequel.
Katherine
Oct 20, 2015 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
More like 3.5 stars. Some of the humor was a bit flip and the end was oddly abrupt, but other than that this was a delightful and entertaining story with uniquely drawn characters and a lovely setting,
Anne Boesiger
Jun 28, 2016 Anne Boesiger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved

This was an uttering charming book. The plot was gentle and absorbing. The humor was well placed and now I'm ready for book two.
Rachel
Nov 12, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book about family, life, and growing up. My mom read it to us aloud on a car trip when I was young. Plenty of laughs. One of my very favorite books.
Sharon Stine
Jun 06, 2016 Sharon Stine rated it really liked it
Great old fashion Brit family saga. Loved opening chapters perfectly introduced this quirky family with so much humor
Peggy
Oct 31, 2014 Peggy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful, light read. Will read more by this author.
Terry
May 06, 2010 Terry rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite stories!
Mary Jo
Feb 07, 2017 Mary Jo rated it really liked it
Somehow I missed this author when I was growing up. It was a very fun trip back to the books of my early teens. I will have to find ways to read more books in this series.
Anne Libera
Aug 16, 2016 Anne Libera rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-novels
Charming, old fashioned, sweet British romance. Exactly the kind of comfort reading that I loved when I was an early teen. Fun to revisit that feeling.
Jill Lee
Jill Lee rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
M Rainy
M Rainy rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2014
Patricia
Patricia rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2016
Sophia
Sophia rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2012
Bridget
Bridget rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2008
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2011
Norland
Norland rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
Mary Oberg
Mary Oberg rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
C
C rated it it was ok
Aug 14, 2016
Maureen
Maureen rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2016
Nerolee Bunn
Nerolee Bunn rated it it was ok
Sep 13, 2016
anita. hendrix
anita. hendrix rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Marylou
Marylou rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2016
  • The Corner That Held Them
  • Patience
  • Letters from England
  • Christopher and Columbus
Elizabeth Violet Cadell was born in 1903 in Calcutta, India. During the Great War she studied music in London, but refused a musical career and returned to India where she married and had two children. After she was widowed ten years later, she returned to England.

Elizabeth wrote her first book 'My Dear Aunt Flora' during the Second World War in 1946, thereafter producing another 51 light-hearted,
More about Elizabeth Cadell...

Waynes of Wood Mount (3 books)
  • The Blue Sky of Spring (Waynes of Wood Mount, #2)
  • Six Impossible Things (Waynes of Wood Mount, #3)