Nine Steps to Sara

Nine Steps to Sara

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  268 ratings  ·  59 reviews
When single mom Sara Darling inherits an estate in the remote English countryside, she jumps at the chance to become Lady of the Manor. With 8 year old son Jack and best friend Joanie in tow, they explore the nearly deserted mansion, isolated from the rest of the world except for the nearby village where everybody seems to know her business. Distracted by the charming chau...more
Published June 27th 2012 by Lisa Olsen

The Doorman by Zack LoveWinter of the World by Ken FollettBring Up the Bodies by Hilary MantelLast to Die by Tess GerritsenThe Twelve by Justin Cronin
New & Upcoming Books
10th out of 68 books — 103 voters
The Bridge To Caracas, by Stephen DouglassShadow Hills by Anastasia HopcusThe Secret Magdalene by Ki LongfellowTHE TAINTED TRUST(2) Volume 2 of The King Trilogy by Stephen DouglassKerri's War(3) Volume 3 of The King Trilogy by Stephen Douglass
Lesser Known Authors
291st out of 3,185 books — 3,985 voters

More lists with this book...

Traci
This book is the one secret dream where the American girl finds out she's really an English noble and goes back to claim her inheritance, which includes a haunted mansion and a hot dude who's scheming. She displays the typical ignorant characteristics where she listens to a bunch of strangers over her friend, cannot see the obvious truth in front of her face and falls for the aforementioned hot dude way too fast with very little reason to. Well, I guess that is understandable; she comes off as r...more
Gwen
Dec 31, 2012 Gwen rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Holds the dubious distinction of being one of the worst books I have ever read! I would have abandoned early on if it had not been "assigned" by one of my book clubs. What a joke that it had sounded somewhat interesting in the review.
This novel was so poorly written and conceived that I was actually laughing while reading the very silly dialogue, filled with cliches. The premise was totally not credible! Cartoon-like story with cardboard characters. Earned one star in my book, then just before t...more
Natalie
I loved the premise of this book but was immediately put off by the lack of character development and choppy/campy/silly dialogue between them (at times it was hard to get past it was so ridiculous!). I was frustrated with Sara's constant acceptance of everything, including Will, whom she just falls for in a matter of days/weeks with no idea who he is...and she never gave it another thought why someone who has suddenly been given the title as Lady of a manor would be "allowed" happily to "date"...more
Christina
Alright. I just finished the book and the only real comment I have is...what is the whole ending, or lack thereof, about? I don't understand the purpose of the Nine, nor do I understand what exactly was going on. No history was offered with respect to the twist.

This book was honestly really about the protagonist and her love interest. Seriously. It was a lot of narrative about the two flirting back and forth and not much else. By the time the story starts unraveling, one starts to feel as if th...more
Michelle
This book had the potential to be really special. There were some plot points and some characters that I found delightful and charming, but in the end it had some major flaws that I just could not get past.

Sara Darling is living the dream when she discovers that she is now heir to the Darling family estate in England. While the estate is in a bit of disrepair, she is excited to fix things up and make a life in the English countryside with her son. Of course, it doesn't hurt when the handsome an...more
Doug Cornelius
I should have lowered my expectations. The description sounded interesting, an eerie ghost tale with a plucky heroine and her precocious son. There is a good book idea in there but it fails to come to fruition. There is a reason it is free on the kindle.

The characters are flat and poorly written. The story is not eerie and only mildly interesting. Most of the book is just the characters talking at each other.
Greenemage
I've been eagerly anticipating this book since the author first announced it and it definitely didn't disappoint... First off, who wouldn't want to be in Sara's shoes and and inherit a freaking mansion! The characters were great, the ghosts creepy, and the setting was perfect. Just when I thought I knew how it was going to end it completely caught me by surprise! Another great story by Lisa Olsen.
Ashley
I don't know how this book got so many 5 star ratings on Amazon. Maybe I am not the target audience for this book...even though mystery and romance are some of my favorite books to read. Oh well. It was just ok for me.
I really enjoyed this book! It was an easy read, it is not a spectacular classic novel but it was good. I needed an easy romance and this book delivered!
Miriam
Oct 04, 2012 Miriam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I was a little disappointed with the ending of this novel. I felt like I never really understood who or what was trying to hurt Jack and why.
Debbie
This was a great book. Lisa Olsen is on my my must read list.
A.B. Shepherd
3 1/2 stars (rounded up to 4)

This is pretty much a modern take on the classic gothic novel. So the premise of the story is that Sara and her eight year old son Jack inherit a huge estate and Royal title from some long lost relative in England. She ups stakes and moves there to collect dragging her BFF Joanie along for the ride.

She arrives to find that the estate is quite delapidated, but there is plenty of dough to fix it up and to live high on the hog while doing it. Only proviso is that she h...more
Vicki Scullion
The premise of this book was interesting, but unfortunately, the setting, plot, and character development didn't deliver. Right from the beginning, I found myself unsure of what time period the story was taking place. As an American, I guess I have the preconceived notion that the only English estates that still have a proper housekeeper, gardener, et al, belong to the Queen. Are there still Brits who live like this, insisting on keeping the class distinctions as they are in the Downton Abbey te...more
Matt Schiariti
Sara Darling, divorced, single mother to 8 year old Jack, is about to embark on the journey of a lifetime. She's just inherited a grand mansion in the English countryside, and she's to become the Lady of the Manor. Along with her son and her irreverent best friend, Joanie, they uproot their lives in L.A. and fly straight to England to see just what being royalty is all about. They'll encounter the local village folk who are ecstatic to finally have a proper Darling in the halls of Darling park....more
Stephanie Wideman
I liked this book. It had some problems, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it. Our story is about American Sara Darling, who finds out she's the heiress of a fantastic British fortune. Needing to make a new life for herself and her son, she flies out to see the ancestral home. Along the way, she meets Will (who is handsome and seems to like her), the formidible Mrs Poole (the housekeeper), and the shy maid Katie. Oh, and the ghost of Gemma Darling, her ancestress.

At first, things seem okay t...more
Andrea
This was a really fun read. Was it great work of literature? No, but sometimes you just want a fun little romp and this certainly delivered. With an air of the slightly gothic (i.e lots of atmosphere, little actual horror), this story centers around a newly divorced American whose son has inherited a vast and somewhat creepy estate in England. As he is still a minor, she is now the regent of the estate. Sara can be a bit of a twit (giggling madly about her new gentleman friend), but overall she’...more
American, Sara Darling has just inherited an estate in England and is now a millionaire. To recieve Darling Park she must sign a contract to make it her permanent home with her 8 year old son Jack. Upon arriving, she is ecstatic over the size of the estate, but something this steeped in history is surely haunted right? Correct, Jack is talking to an old lady only he can see, and Sara keeps hearing strange noises in the night. But it seems there is something more sinister at work here than just a...more
Al

Prepare to be whisked away to an England that isn't quite so jolly as Sara's been lead to believe. Newly minted Lady Sara Darling has just gotten the news of a lifetime; she's inherited a lavish country estate in the south of England. It's no surprise when things aren't all as they seem, and soon they've got all the earmarks of a genuine haunted mansion. Instead of heading for the hills, plucky Sara decides to find out more about the ghostly relative who haunts the halls of Darling Park, invisi

Laveda Kasch
Loved this book! It totally had me creeping out in some parts, and falling for a certain someone in other parts. Love how well the storyline was written, I was immediately sucked in from the very first page. Loved the characters, even the ones you love to hate. Loved everything about this book. Well done Lisa Olsen! You're my hero! <3
Dierdra Byrd
This was so frustrating to read! This should be labeled more as a romance, not a ghost story. I did not know it was possible to make a ghost boring, but Olsen managed quite well.
The unintresting and undevloped charcters left me bored and rolling my eyes. Speaking of rolling my eyes, "an eye roll was given" just does not flow well. Have you ever heard of show, not tell. This book never brings you into the story at all.
The dialog was just stupid most of the time, I kept wondering who would ever ta...more
Yuli
Wow! Now I can take a breath of relief. But I am a little sad that the story's over... I loved the ending. And the excitement. The characters too... I just wish I knew how old Will and Sara were. Hmm.
Anyways, this is my first ghost-related book I've read and I've made a good choice with this being my first one. And Lisa Olsen just has a nice writing style you can easily slip into. At first I thought this story would be your typical mansion-haunting-ghost right after Sara inherited it, but there'...more
Sara
This was, overall, a very good book. While some of the supporting characters were a bit annoying, there was a great storyline and just the right amount of creepiness. Although, I'm confused as to how some readers still don't understand what the "Nine" refers to. I thought the writer did a great job of letting you know what they were without having to completely spell it out. And really, it doesn't matter if the Nine aren't all listed by name, the main character didn't actually know everyone in t...more
Megan Perry
I did not expect that. Literally all I thought throughout the whole book.
Paula
It was a fun, quick read. The editing was not so great and seeing as how I don't really pay attention to that stuff, to get my notice and actually distract me means it was pretty bad. There were extra words in some spots, missing words in other places but I'm sure it could have been worse.

I enjoyed the story though for a free Kindle book. I thought the ending could have lasted longer and explained more but most of my questions were answered. Fun book for free.
Apzmarshl
The title was off putting. It nearly had nothing to do with the book.
While it was pegged as a ghost story, it never got too creepy.
The American girl inheriting a massive British fortune didn't go nuts with the money. But it was still fun to consider.
The romance part was clean and sweet.
The best friend was obnoxious.
I'm sounding negative, but I have to say over all it was a fun read that I really enjoyed. No masterful work, but it did the job of entertaining.
Chandler
I'm going with 2.5 stars. The overall premise of this story had great potential, but at the climax of the book, I felt like I was reading/watching Wizards of Waverly Place on the Disney channel. Very childish and silly. I didn't feel like the characters were developed well and there were a lot of ends left loose. I'm glad it was a free ebook, otherwise I would have felt like I wasted my money. I had big hopes but it just didn't measure up.
Hunter Hamilton
I enjoyed this book, which has a great, spooky atmosphere for a mystery (English countryside in a haunted mansion). The plot kept moving at a steady pace, and my attention was held until the end. Though I think the book was a little lacking in adequately explaining the underlying motivations of the "bad guys," I did enjoy it and would recommend to those looking for a light mystery.
ABCme
Yes, there is a ghost in the old mansion, and yes, things have a mind of their own, and ok, it all goes a bit spooky here and there and people get hurt. But better yet, this fast paced contemporary ghost story has an unexpected twist that sends the English countryside reeling and me turning pages. Stunner fiction! Defenitely must read more by this author.
Tim
In general, I liked this novel. It was a good read; the plot kept me interested and engaged. It never go too sappy, and even the romance was important to the plot of the overall novel. The characters were well written and easy to relate to.

I would definitely read more from this author. I would also recommend this book to others.
Karen
It could have been better. With the description of the book, I was expecting something a little more creepy. I wish the author would have put more focus on the story of the 9, instead of the story between Sara and Will and it also felt like the ending was rushed a little too much. Still an entertaining enough read to merit 3 stars.
  • Dark Bayou (Dark Trilogy, #1)
  • Between Seasons
  • Ghosts of Rosewood Asylum
  • Cades Cove: The Curse of Allie Mae (Cades Cove, #1)
  • Graves' End: A Magical Thriller
  • The Real
  • Mind Games:  A Diana Racine Psychic Suspense - Book 1
  • Asylum Lake
  • A Provencal Mystery
  • Hope Road
  • Taking Flight
  • Speed Dating with the Dead
  • A Soul to Steal (The Sanheim Chronicles, #1)
  • Completely Restored
  • Muse
  • Another Man's Treasure
  • Unseen
  • Twisted Vengeance (Twisted Vengeance, #1)
Lisa Olsen is a writer, wife and mother of two, currently living in the Pacific Northwest. A complete TV addict, she also enjoys online RPG's, singing, reading, and cooking.
More about Lisa Olsen...
Pretty Witches All in a Row Wake Me When the Sun Goes Down (Forged Bloodlines #1) Meet Me When the Sun Goes Down (Forged Bloodlines #2) Miss me when the sun goes down (Forged Bloodlines #4) Find Me When The Sun Goes Down (Forged Bloodlines #3)