Start by marking “Two Ravens and One Crow (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4.5)” as Want to Read:
Two Ravens and One Crow (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4.5)

Two Ravens and One Crow (The Iron Druid Chronicles #4.5)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  8,064 ratings  ·  375 reviews
Atticus O’Sullivan is back in an all-new, action-packed, laugh-out-loud novella from the author of The Iron Druid Chronicles. Two-thousand-year-old Atticus may have outwitted and outfought everyone from Odin to Bacchus, but in this eBook original, he’s about to discover what comes around when you go around messing with gods.

Six years into the training of his beautiful appr
Published September 4th 2012 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Two Ravens and One Crow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Ravens and One Crow

Hounded by Kevin HearneStorm Front by Jim ButcherThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussZero Sight by B. Justin ShierZero Sum by B. Justin Shier
Contemporary Fantasy for Guys
73rd out of 445 books — 281 voters
Hounded by Kevin HearneHammered by Kevin HearneHexed by Kevin HearneMoon Called by Patricia BriggsCity of Ghosts by Stacia Kane
Best of Audiobooks: Urban Fantasy
53rd out of 69 books — 43 voters

More lists with this book...

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
A surprisingly fulfilling and action-packed novella.

I may seem a bit harsh saying this, but I find a lot of mid-series novellas to be unworthy of the e-ink they're displayed in. Most of the time, the stories within are so much padding and filler with no progression to the characters or the series as a whole. And I can understand why; you can't really have something major plot-wise happening in a novella that some people see as 'optional' reading. It will be far too confusing come the next book
Mihir

Full review originally at Bastard Books

ANALYSIS: As far as the sub-genre of urban fantasy is concerned, Kevin Hearne is counted as one of its upcoming stars and the Iron Druid Chronicles is named by many to be one of the best series out there currently. With four books released, the story has been progressing at a rapid rate and the world and mythologies introduced have made the read very riveting so far. However with the fourth book TRICKED, the story concluded the first arc of the series and
Cathy
Another terrific tale. Hearne is just a great storyteller, his writing is always perfectly smooth, with a great balance of adventure, humor and intelligence. He never fails to crack me up with the conversations that Atticus has with Oberon, I just love that dog. And the Morrigan is such an interesting character, it was fun to see a bit of a different side to her in this one as well. The story was a nice bridge between Tricked and Trapped, I really enjoyed it.
MLE
A fun, and informative addition to the series. Too often when authors put out short stories with the ongoing series it seems like nothing more than a cheap ploy to milk more profits out of readers. The stories have little substance, and no bearing on the series as a whole. I was pleasantly surprised to find this was not the case with this story. It was nice getting a feeling for Betty's training (nice names Coyote) without having to devote chapters to it. It was also nice to see the tension buil ...more
D.G.
As 12 years pass between the events in Tricked (Bk 4) and Trapped (Bk 5), this novela is set right in the middle timewise and sets the stage for Ragnarök (the showdown between the Norse gods and some really bad people) and some very interesting alliances between Atticus and some gods. We also learn how Atticus and Granuaile are dealing with their 'working' relationship and some very revealing tidbits about Atticus' past.

I wouldn't say the book was boring but it didn't have excitement of previous
Traci (Mad Hatter Reads)
This is a terrific novella and it's only $2.99! Woot! What an excellent addition to the Iron Druid Chronicles. Some of Atticus's decisions from prior books are coming back to haunt him and the decisions he makes in Two Ravens and One Crow will have ramifications in later on.

I missed Oberon, Atticus's meat-lovin' Irish wolfhound!!! Atticus and Oberon's back and forth always has me in stiches and while we get a little bit of that interaction, Atticus has to leave Oberon behind on this trip. Howev
Jim
A good short story that should be read in the series order. A preview of the 5th book "Trapped" is included. Sounds like it will be good. Luke Daniels read this well. Thankfully, Oberon only had a few lines because Daniels' voice for him drives me crazy. It's awful.
Fangs for the Fantasy
Regular readers know that we are huge fans of Kevin Hearne and have a tendency to fanpoodle terribly, but oh my goodness it's Kevin Hearne, how could we not? Because this is a novella, it's going to be difficult to talk about without spoilers, so consider yourself warned.

Atticus still has a few years left in his training of Granuaile and this of course means much sexual tension. He has devised a plan with Oberon to "conceal the tower of his CARNAL DESIRE," by leaving to give his faithful hound
Beth
This was a pleasant surprise. I was just finishing Hunted and feeling a little bereft it was over when I saw Two Ravens and One Crow following. My book dance followed...

photo tumblr_inline_mhpvm36OLn1qz4rgp_zpsb4f1d922.gif

Two Ravens and One Crow takes place early into Granuaile's training. A large crow swoops in transforming into The Morrigan, telling Atticus that he must come with her to fix his healing tattoo.

An unexpected, yet weary, friendship is born and we get the inside scoop.

If you are a Iron Druid Chronicle fan, I highly recommend you ch
John
"Can I have just a little peril?"
"No, it's far too perilous!"

**Atticus bantering about his attraction to Granuaile with Oberon**

This novella bridges the gap between the previous adventure "Tricked" and the current one "Trapped". In the midst of training Granuaile, Atticus receives a visit from everyone's favorite goddess Morrigan- who has her own designs on our boy, both personal and professional. Seems there's some fallout from the events in Asgard that needs addressing, and the parties involve
Jessi
Catching up with what Atticus & crew were up to was good especially since the next novel jumps 12 years from the last one. And for a short novella, the story was awesome. I could easily see the author making it longer if they so chose to. The story takes place 6 years after Tricked and we discover that Odin & Frigg know that Atticus faked his death. One would think that they want his head (and they do) but they want him fighting in Ragnarok even more. The Morrigan was in the book as well ...more
Caroline
Decent novella that takes place in between books, and the best part by far was Atticus finally retelling the story of how he learned the recipe for his life-extending tea. This gives a tiny bit of present-day plot, but it's all setup for the future of the series and there really wasn't much of it. Most of this felt like filler content, with Atticus spending an awful lot of time talking about erections (I mean, seriously, after thousands of years he still acts and sounds like a teenage boy in so ...more
Eric
Jan 14, 2013 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone looking to get into the urban fantasy genre
Recommended to Eric by: Nicole Evans
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Sometimes less is more. Such is the case with this novella, which advances Atticus's story more than the previous novel, Tricked, did, while at the same time maintaining the tone of the overarching series, as well as its mythology, excitement and humor. Has me very excited to read the next novel in the series, Trapped.
Richard Guion
This novella takes place after Tricked and it involves the Morrigan and a dinner with some Norse gods, more fallout from the events of Hammered. Essential reading for those invested in Iron Druid series. I almost skipped over to Trapped without reading this first. If you wondered how Atticus and Granuaile were going to maintain a platonic relationship during her 12 year training period, that is addressed here.
Julie
Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

With Tricked already on shelves since April of this year and with Trapped not due to release until the end of November, I was feeling a little Atticus-sick. You know, it’s like home-sick but for a character. Two Ravens and One Crow was the perfect fix for me. A quick story featuring my favorite Iron Druid characters, it hit the spot.

Just a heads up, if you are not up to date with the series, you may be a bit confused (and spoiled) by this review ;)

Two Ra
Manoj
Oct 09, 2012 Manoj added it

Call me old fashioned, but I don't really appreciate the idea of buying an "exciting new novella" and "wonderful addition to the series" that is essentially a prologue to the next book in the series. The best parts of this novella or mini-book or let's-just-sell-a-short-story-bcoz-the-novel-is-not-done-yet-and-our-fans-are-idiots-right or whatever these things are called these days, were the sneak preview of the next book in the series and SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER the part where two goddesses of
Bry
This story takes place between books 4 and 5 of the Iron Druid Series, which is about half way through Granaile's training or about 6 years. She is barely in this story though except to make Atticus a bit uncomfortable from time to time a bit at the beginning and that is it. Poor Oberone too hardly had any face time in this story too, and I missed him and his witty banter.

The story was good as it provided some good information to the series, but I didn't see the need of making it a novella. I f
Migdalia
So, you have this druid who has lived centuries thanks to an herbal concoction he learned how to make from a sorceress, and during his lifetime he's angered quite a few gods, mortals, etc. He tries to lay low in the desert with his trusty dog and a female apprentice who he finds incredibly attractive. He's got no time for that because he owes a favor to the Morrigan who's as scary as she can be beautiful. She convinces said druid to join her at a meeting with Odin and Frigg who would really like ...more
Lynne
Jan 24, 2014 Lynne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the Iron Druid series
In which we find out in more detail how Siodhachan received the secret of all those herbal teas, of greatest interest the Immortali-Tea that keeps the 2,000-year-old Druid looking like a 21-year-old surfer dude, and the Morrigan has a moment of self-awareness and humanity just after using bindings on Siodhachan to get him to have sex with her. But since it's not Morrigan's usual pleasure-through-others'-pain style, which usually ends with Siodachan missing chunks of flesh and having to lie on th ...more
Kat  Hooper
3.5
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature:

You could think of Two Ravens and One Crow as book 4½ in Kevin Hearne’s IRON DRUID CHRONICLES series. It’s a novella that takes place halfway between book 4, Tricked, and book 5, Trapped. I don’t always read these “extra” stories, but I think fans of THE IRON DRUID CHRONICLES will want to read this one because 12 years passes between Tricked and Trapped —Atticus is training Granuaile to be a druid during this time
Mermaidrain
Novellas are sometimes nothing more than marketing ploys to get fans of a series to keep spending money. That being said, I found this novella a stunning surprise. While it's not a necessary read (no one would lose out if they read only the novels in this series), it provides two things that I would argue make it a vital part of the series.

First, it provides the interesting backstory of how Atticus became immortal in the first place. Yes, this is another clever set up for delivery of backstory.
Ami
Lori McD
3-3.5 stars

Whoa! We suddenly fast-forward 6 years since we last saw Atticus, now Stirling Silver!?! Not a fan of that jump. Seems to me that we could have had at least a couple of shorts in-between before we get here.

The Morrigan is finally going to help Atticus re-do his healing tattoos. She takes him to her "lair", and they have some interesting conversation. Is the Morrigan becoming... softer? *gasp*

And then off to a dinner with some mysterious dinner guests and a likely treaty of some sort.
Amanda
Two Ravens and One Crow is for people who...

...are fans of the Iron Druid Chronicles
...enjoy their Druids
...prefer their enjoyable Druids naked (and horny)
...want to know what happened in the middle of Granuaile's training (since it's referenced in other books)
...need their #NakedDruid fix because what else are we going to read until book 7?
...are curious about the Morrigan (Hunted. Man. That book.)
...finished book 4 recently--props to you for reading in order
...have already finished books 1 thr
Lee
I really enjoyed this short story. Set a fews years after the trip to go Norse God hunting and before Trapped, it tells the family story of Atticus spending some time with Morrigan and some negotiating with gods on the upcoming Ragnorok. I read this after reading Trapped and it filled in some blanks that had arisen due to the number of years in between the last two books.
If you are about to read Trapped or have just read Trapped, this is well worth your while. It has a lot less overdone Dog spe
Jesus
I like the way the author approaches these short stories, they are not paramount to the plot but even if it were he can sum it up in a paragraph in the next book, at least that's how a test of mettle went. We, who reads it, get a little side of action, humor and a little bit of character development but not much of a loss for those who don't feel like reading them. Win/win.

Here, it was nice seeing that side of the Morrigan and knowing how she feels about the fact she's compelled to act threaten
David
This is a short story, that seems to follow the usual Kevin Hearne's strategy of setting a short story between the 'main courses' of his full novels: a taster, if you will, of what those novels are like.

In this particular case, this story is set after the events of Tricked but before (I believe, not having read it yet!) of those from Trapped, and deals some more with the aftermath of Atticus's trip to Valhalla in Hammered.

The Two Ravens of the title refers to Odin's birds Hugin and Munin, while
Laurel
Sep 04, 2012 Laurel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I wonder what it must feel like for an author to see the quality of their writing grow. After all, they're working with the same characters within a world of their creation, but magically, each installment deepens to surpass the one before. A fine read!

Melissa
That was a great short story. A big jump forward in time, but it was also a great fill in on where things stand in the aftermath of the Asgard/Hel debacle and of course a peak at the temptations of druid apprentice training.
Liz
Nice little segue between Tricked and the next book, Trapped. Seems like Atticus is going to finally confront his feelings for Granuaile!
My favorite, though, are his conversations with Morrigan. Hysterical!
Reviews for the L...: Two Ravens and One Crow (Iron Driud Chronicles: 4.5) 6 25 Sep 13, 2012 05:26AM
  • Carniepunk
  • In Sea-Salt Tears (October Daye, #5.1)
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Monster Hunter Legion (MHI, #4)
  • Close to You (Downside Ghosts, #5.5)
  • Devil in the Dollhouse (Sandman Slim, #3.5)
  • Cold Days (The Dresden Files, #14)
  • Unfallen Dead (Connor Grey, #3)
  • Leashing the Tempest (Arcadia Bell, #2.5)
  • Twenty Palaces (Twenty Palaces, #0.5)
Kevin is the author of The Iron Druid Chronicles, an urban fantasy series published by Del Rey Books. The first six books of the series are now out as well as a novella that's book 4.5 and some other short works. The seventh book, SHATTERED, will be released June 17.
More about Kevin Hearne...
Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2) Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3) Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4) Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5)

“Oberon "Holy revelations Druidman! She's on to us!"
Atticus "Gods below, I think you're right! Quick, to the Geekmobile!”
5 likes
“I dislike guilt." the Morrigan said." it is regret and recrimination and despair over that which cannot be changed. It is like eating ashes for breakfast. It is the whip that clerics use on the laity, making the sheep slaves to whatever moral code the shepherds espouse. it is a catalyst for suicide and untold other acts of selfishness and stupidity. I cannot think of a more poisonous emotion!"
...
"Why do you bother to feel it?"
Atticus:
"Because an inability to feel guilt points to sociopathic tendencies.”
4 likes