Start by marking “Vortex (Return of the Effra, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vortex (Return of the Effra, #1)

Vortex (Return of the Effra #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  57 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Vortex is the first book in the YA, fantasy romance trilogy, Return of The Effra

On a night when prophecies stir, an outraged dragon vents his anger, Damian is ripped from everything he knows and Sam's nightmares become real...

Nineteen year old student Samantha White isn’t enjoying university life, she’s disillusioned with her course and having second thoughts about her fut
Published June 20th 2012 by AFS Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Vortex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vortex

Opal by Jennifer L. ArmentroutAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsStarcrossed by Josephine AngeliniHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Best YA Romance 2
11th out of 74 books — 80 voters
Writing Advice for Teens by Mike KalmbachTapped by Lynne CantwellA Wicked Awakening by Calinda B.Sierra by Taylor DeanThe Fishers of Paradise by Rachael Preston
Orangeberry Big Bang
7th out of 32 books — 114 voters

More lists with this book...

Okay so Vortex caused me quite a few problems...why you ask? because it took over my life! i couldn't stop reading it and when i absolutely had to because you know i had to drive...or shower...or do homework that due the next know the norm anyways SO FREAKING AMAZING I LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!!! loved it. I am going to mention one more time just in case you didn't get it. Read it and love it.

Okay so i should probably tell you why i loved it so much but really you don't need t
Stephanie Moakes
Jul 30, 2012 Stephanie Moakes rated it it was amazing
First of all let me start by saying I love love LOVED this book, seriously it is made of the most awesome sauce in the world. The story is written in such a way that I felt as if I was watching a movie. I could picture every little detail, every facial expression and almost hear every sound. It was fast paced from the beginning and I was immediately thrown into the story, there was never a dull moment. Parson's writing is incredible.

My favourite character? Hands down Damien!! At first I wasn't s
James Peercy
Jun 29, 2012 James Peercy rated it it was amazing
Lindsey Parsons does an excellent job weaving a story that draws you in.

In her book we meet Sam, a college student with a past that shades her future, and Damian, whose very existence is a contradiction to nature. Through a series of unpredicted events, these two collide in an adventure that is not only fun, but creative and logical. Relationships build and are tested. The misconceptions and prejudice of both our world and Damian's are explored. It is within these pages we discover whether true
A little slow to start, but soon picked up pace. Sam White is an ordinary girl at university when she meets Damian, a demon from another world. The first part of the story follows them as they piece together how to return Damian to his world. The story then follows what happens when they travel to his world.

I loved the two main characters. Sam is independent and knows her own mind although she is a bit impulsive. Not that that is a bad thing! Damian is a demon with a conscience and tries to prot
Marwa A.
Jun 14, 2014 Marwa A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy lovers
I really liked this book, It is very good.
The book talks about Sam who is normal college girl and Damian who is a demon from another world.
The first part of the story is about how Damian tries to get back to his world, the story then travels when Damian and Sam travel to the other world.
Damian is my favorite character. I would really love to know more about him and his background.
I also liked Sam, she is a typical teenage girl who is feeling lost after her father's death. But she managed to try
Sophie Tallis
Mar 24, 2013 Sophie Tallis rated it it was amazing
I'm utterly useless at writing book reviews, except to say what I like and what I don't and to recommend a book if it's good. This isn't a good book, it's an utterly BRILLIANT book! A great read, engaging, exciting, original and a real page turner! Lindsey weaves her magic throughout to create a mesmeric story which will keep you utterly captivated and wanting more.

Beg, borrow, buy or steal this book, just READ IT! Highly recommended!!
Jan 15, 2013 Terri rated it it was amazing
I picked this one up free on Amazon and all I can say is WOW. I fell in love with Damian and Sam and can't wait to read the next part of their series in book two! Lindsey J. Parsons builds a fantasy world full of centuars and dragons, unicorns and elves that leave the reader wanting to be able to travel through their own vortex to visit. This was a gem and totally worth the time it took to read!
Jaci Hutchinson
Aug 07, 2012 Jaci Hutchinson rated it it was amazing
Brilliant - I was totally hooked and couldn't put it down. A must read!!
I got this book from the autor, free of cost, in exchange of an honest review from my side.

Firstly I would like to thank Lindsey J. Parsons, author of Vortex for giving me this opportunity of reading and reviewing this book.

I had a great time in reading this awesome book and would like to recommend it to ya all and I'm sure that you guys will love it as much as I did.

I loved the new and totally refreshing plot and story line where we have a hero who is a demon and not a stereotypical vampire or
Tahlia Newland
Nov 28, 2012 Tahlia Newland rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It’s got a lot to recommend it, particularly an unusual story and great characters.

I love stories that cross from our reality to another. It’s a mark of a contemporary fantasy rather than a traditional one and, like this one, such books often include aspects of both urban and traditional fantasy. In our world, science takes the place of magic. In Damian’s world, elves, gnomes and dragons exist. What happens when someone takes guns from our world into a world that kno
Morphys Book Blog
Jun 18, 2013 Morphys Book Blog rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
Vortex is set in two separate worlds; one in modern day England and the other in a magical world filled with mythical beings such as Demons, Magi, Dragons, Goblins, Elves and more...

Samantha White AKA Sam is a ordinary college student who is having nightmares. Of which she finds herself running into the same person on each occasion. When Sam is confronted by Damian in the real world everything changes.

Damian is a man with bat like wings three inch horns and piercing silver eyes *swoons*. When he
Oct 01, 2013 Daniel rated it really liked it
This book surprised me. I try to read outside of my comfort zone, and anything I considered Romance is definitely not my cup of tea. But, the premise seemed promising, so I entered Lindsey Parson's giveaway and won. I'm very glad I did.

Vortex blends fantasy and romance in a very pleasant way. This is definitely NOT Twilight. The characters have depth and are fully realized. No obligatory love triangle haunts the pages. The magic comes off as believable, not the by-the-numbers Dungeons & Drag
Jun 13, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I started off this book looking forward to reading about a man with horns ripped from his world and got so much more.

There are elves, goblins, dwarves, sorcerers, centaurs everything that you need really in a true fantasy book which this really is. To make it even better there is a battle thrown in for good measure and then the wonderful romance between Sam and Damian.

The book starts with Sam having what she believes are nightmares until she meets Damian. She is not sure if he is crazy but strug
** I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review **

Vortex is a modern Sci-Fi Wizard of Oz

When you read Sci-Fi or Fantasy the expectation is to have your mind soar with adventure and new experiences, freeing your imagination to run wild and “Vortex (Return of the Effra)” does just that.

Much like Dorothy who was swept up in a tornado in the “Wizard of Oz” and met the lion, scarecrow and tin man, Sam transports to another world through a vortex. During her journey she is intr
Candy Golden
Sep 19, 2013 Candy Golden rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this to read to review, and I HAVE to say that I totally enjoyed this book! It captured my attention from start to finish!

I so was enamored by Damian and Samantha and all of the key players in this story. I normally don't like books that take me out of my world and into other worlds, but this one totally changed my perspective.

I loved the author's writing style. She didn't treat me the reader, as a dummy where things had to be repeated over and over again. One thing that t
Jessica Bronder
Jun 11, 2015 Jessica Bronder rated it really liked it
Imagine two worlds, one with magic and one without. The one without is our world. Samantha, Sam, is going to college, but she doesn’t really want to be there. It was something that her father and her had planned on but now she wants something else, she just doesn’t know what. At the same time she has been having all kinds of weird nightmares.

Damian is a demon and comes from this other world. He keeps seeing this ghost girl that is really sad but won’t move on. One night he proceeds to save her a
Emily (Heinlen) Davis
Jun 07, 2013 Emily (Heinlen) Davis rated it it was amazing
This book was well-written and had an interesting story. I loved the characterizations. The plot was nicely set-up and the follow through with it was great!
Paula Võ
Sep 10, 2015 Paula Võ rated it really liked it
Romance, some magic love, and a pinch of sadness, it's my kind of book, and it's exactly what I'm looking for. Love the paranormal dangers
Sep 23, 2013 Rorie rated it it was ok
So I've just finished this fantasy read, and while my general impression of it is good, there are some short-comings I found disappointing. Most of that is due to personal preference, so I shall go through the good first.

Vortex follows the adventures of Sam White as she meets with a man from her nightmares, Damian. The premise was interesting and the first half of the story was very engaging with some great action and character driven scenes. The editing could've been a little tighter, particula
InD'tale Magazine
Lindsey Parsons writes a fantasy story that is both riveting and believable.

Read full review in the 2012 September issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Nicole Gates
Nicole Gates marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
Maggie added it
Oct 10, 2016
Rennegade Hunter
Rennegade Hunter marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2016
Katie marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2016
Jennifer HOot
Jennifer HOot marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Barbara marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Amanda Pyers
Amanda Pyers marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
KC marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Paranormal and Ho...: R2R Vortex 11 23 Sep 21, 2013 04:53AM
Book Haven: Vortex Kobo giveaway 3 10 Mar 15, 2013 07:50AM
Advanced Copies f...: Vortex Kobo Giveaway 2 8 Mar 15, 2013 05:36AM
Advanced Copies f...: Free on Kindle 2 13 Dec 22, 2012 04:04AM
The Indie Bookshelf: Free Kindle copies of Vortex on Amazon 7 24 Oct 02, 2012 04:59AM
YA Book Club Not ...: Free Kindle copies of Vortex on Amazon 5 26 Oct 02, 2012 04:59AM
Advanced Copies f...: Free Kindle copies of Vortex on Amazon 5 10 Oct 02, 2012 04:58AM
  • Breaking Angelina (Paranormal Investigations, #2)
  • Resist (The Harvest Saga, #2)
  • To Save The Broken Heart (Dragons, Griffons and Centaurs, Oh My! #2)
  • Baptism of Fire (Draconi Series, #1)
  • Bears In Flight (Supernatural Bounty Hunter, #4)
  • Hyacinth (Svatura, #2)
  • TerrIIItory (Territory, #3)
  • Unless You Can Be a Unicorn (B3, #1)
  • Homecoming (Cloaked Devices #0.5)
  • Silence of the Wolves (Call of the Wilderness #1)
  • Eden-South (Eden, #3)
  • Darkstorm (Heart of a Vampire, #3)
  • Jaguar Sun (Jaguar Sun, #1)
  • Sun Poisoned (Sunshine #2)
  • The Eve Genome
  • Jane Carver of Waar
  • Fall
  • Forever Bound (Bound, #1-4)
"My head has always been crammed full of horses, dragons, magic, and adventure, sword fights, castles, and impossible quests. Stories materialise when I least expect them to and take over my mind, desperate to get out. Finally a few years ago I decided to immortalize them in ink and so I write fantasy, because for me, fantasy is the ultimate escape."
Born in Stratford upon Avon, UK, Lindsey J Parso
More about Lindsey J. Parsons...

Return of the Effra (2 books)
  • Wicked Game (Return of the Effra #2)