Start by marking “Under a False Flag” as Want to Read:
Under a False Flag

Under a False Flag

October, 1972. Will Porter joins the CIA's secret war against Chile's Marxist president, Salvador Allende. Working under cover, Will's job is to manage the dirty money flowing to the opposition. As protests, general strikes and paramilitary terrorism bring Chile to the brink of civil war, Will learns just how far the CIA will go to achieve its objective.

A budding friendsh
Published June 17th 2012 by The Taciturn Press (first published June 4th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Under a False Flag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under a False Flag

Sean Dexter
Jul 25, 2012 Sean Dexter rated it it was amazing
Under a False Flag by Tom Gething is a spy novel, but don't expect James Bond. The protagonist, Will Porter, is a working man's spy. He is a young man enamored with the idea of serving his country by joining the potentially glamorous world of the CIA. But life is not a roller coaster of thrills for the young spy…not until he is caught up in the 1973 U.S. backed overthrow of Chilean president, Salvador Allende. As the historical inevitability unfolds and spirals out of control, Will is torn betwe ...more
Tom
Jun 05, 2012 Tom added it  ·  (Review from the author)
My interest in Chile began in the summer of 1973 when I met a girl from Chillán who was an AFS exchange student. She told me how she arrived in the United States the year before with almost no money: Chile's foreign exchange restrictions prevented a 16-year-old traveling overseas alone to take with her more than $25. Imagine that! Shortly after we met, the Tancazo (the failed putsch of June) took place, and only a few days later she returned home to a country that was about to change forever.

Th
M.L. Rudolph
Jun 08, 2012 M.L. Rudolph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2012. A gripping story of a rookie spy who played the role but never bought in with his soul.

Caught in the turmoil of the 1972 Chilean revolution, young and earnest Will Porter learns his trade by living and working undercover. He inserts himself into the community, makes friends, and even falls for a local girl. But his life is a lie, and to perform to his boss's satisfaction, and to the ever-shifting commands from a Washington DC in Nixonian political turmoil, Will struggles to reconcile the d
Britt Skrabanek
Aug 03, 2014 Britt Skrabanek rated it it was amazing
Wow, how refreshing! Historical fiction done right.

Gething knows how to throw the reader into another time and place like a natural. For those who think historical fiction is a snooze, this is a prime example of creating a piece of work that both pays tribute to an important historical moment and easily entertains the reader from start to finish.

In Under a False Flag, we're thrown back to Chile in 1972.

A rookie CIA agent, Will Porter, is our main character. His romanticism for serving his countr
Uppity Q
Oct 04, 2012 Uppity Q rated it really liked it
First, a disclosure: I know the author, Tom Gething. Now I'm an honorable person (take it from me) so knowing an author wouldn't cause me to lie and say I liked a book that I didn't. However, it would cause me to pick up a book I might not otherwise read. In this case, I'm very glad to know Tom, because, if not for that, I might have missed this little gem altogether. And that would be sad.
I'll skip the plot summary and use the space to explain why I think people should be reading this book. A
Ftumia
Aug 05, 2012 Ftumia rated it it was amazing
Excellent story line; fluid and believable. When will this become a movie? This book is moving around work and getting rave reviews: "couldn't put it down" - "extensive research that allowed the reader to stay enthralled until the end" -" wow,the ending took me by surprise" - "the historical events that took place perfectly blended with the storyline"
Alec
Jul 04, 2012 Alec rated it liked it
I received this book as part of the Goodreads first reads giveaway. I enjoyed this book for it's realism and how it gives a personal insight into the life of a CIA operative during the early 1970's. In the end what I liked about the book overall is the cause and effect that different characters had with each other and also how the actions you take can have unforeseen consequences.
Dorothy Hottensen
Jul 27, 2012 Dorothy Hottensen rated it it was amazing

I loved this book. Tom Gething is a natural storyteller. This period in Chile's history came alive so vividly and I fell in love with the characters who were real. Bravo!
readerswords
Aug 23, 2014 readerswords rated it it was amazing
Under a False Flag is an amazing first novel by Tom Gething, whose wonderful blog posts (at http://tomgething.wordpress.com) led me to this novel. It brilliantly delves into the character of a young CIA operative who is posted in Chile and participates in his own small way to engineer the overthrow of the Allende regime. Tom Gething's writing is as easy to read as it is nuanced.

Highly recommended for for anyone seeking to read historical fiction, or understand the US foreign policy and the work
Maya EVHS  Gonzalez Paredes
Apr 21, 2015 Maya EVHS Gonzalez Paredes rated it really liked it
It was a compelling novel that showed how the U.S. took part in bringing about the 1973 coup in Chile against their Marxist president Salvador Allende by following the under cover life of a false flag CIA operative.
Diane Martin
Diane Martin rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2014
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2012
Matt Terry
Matt Terry rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2012
Linus
Linus rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2015
ray ruiz
ray ruiz rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2015
Old Salt
Old Salt rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2013
Steven M. Barkan
Steven M. Barkan rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2015
Maureen
Maureen rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2013
Sara Diab
Sara Diab rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2014
Elizabeth Levi
Elizabeth Levi rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2012
Joyce Roderick
Joyce Roderick rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2014
Luis Angulo
Luis Angulo rated it liked it
May 04, 2013
Jake Kislock
Jake Kislock rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2012
Mike Larson
Mike Larson rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2014
Rakhi Dalal
Rakhi Dalal marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2012
Jan
Jan added it
Jul 01, 2012
Johnny
Johnny marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2012
Arbi Rai
Arbi Rai marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2013
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2013
Alice Brandli
Alice Brandli marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2013
Deus Ex Machina
Deus Ex Machina marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2013
Vitor
Vitor marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2013
Leigh Burger
Leigh Burger marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2013
Tiffani Hollis
Tiffani Hollis marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2013
Jorge
Jorge marked it as to-read
May 25, 2013
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
May 29, 2013
Kathryn Player
Kathryn Player marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2013
Marlene
Marlene marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2013
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2013
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2013
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Stephanie Ahlgrain
Stephanie Ahlgrain marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Vera Finkelstein
Vera Finkelstein marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Marjorie
Marjorie marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Foysol Ahmed
Foysol Ahmed marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
David Hopkins
David Hopkins marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Author Interview: Under a False Flag 12 5 Nov 07, 2012 03:25PM
  • El Monstruo: Dread and Redemption in Mexico City
  • The Life and Times of Mexico
  • Redeemers: Ideas and Power in Latin America
  • A Blazing Gilded Age
  • The Whole Story of Climate: What Science Reveals About the Nature of Endless Change
  • Keeping My Hope
  • The Long Road to Antietam: How the Civil War Became a Revolution
  • Confessions Of An Argentine Dirty Warrior: A Firsthand Account Of Atrocity
  • Shaping Kate: Coming of Age in the 1950s
  • When America First Met China: An Exotic History of Tea, Drugs, and Money in the Age of Sail
  • Madwomen: The "Locas mujeres" Poems of Gabriela Mistral, a Bilingual Edition
  • Five Families: Mexican Case Studies in the Culture of Poverty
  • The Tapestry of Spirit
  • The Argentina Reader: History, Culture, Politics
  • Finding My Place: One Girl's Strength at Vicksburg
  • A History of the Cuban Revolution
  • In the Land of God and Man: A Latin Woman's Journey
  • Why Marijuana Should Be Legal
Tom Gething received a B.A. in English literature from the University of Arizona in 1975. He spent a career in international business before pursuing fiction writing in earnest. His stories have appeared in The Soundings Review, The Barcelona Review, and other publications. Under a False Flag is his first novel. Though primarily based on historical research, it builds on his experience living, wor ...more
More about Tom Gething...