Chai Tea Sunday

Chai Tea Sunday

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  502 ratings  ·  105 reviews
Explore the true resilience of the heart—and one woman’s determination to find hope in a world fraught with adversity

Thirty something Nicky Fowler has it all—a rewarding career, a loving husband and the perfect home. But when she and her husband suffer a complicated tragedy, the strain of two people dealing with an impossible situation in different ways breaks up their mar...more
Published April 1st 2012 (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Chai Tea Sunday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chai Tea Sunday

Louise
BEST DEBUT NOVEL!!!

Story Description:

ECW Press|April 1, 2012|Trade Paperback|ISBN: 978-1-77041-082-4

Explore the true resilience of the heart – and one woman’s determination to find hope in a world fraught with adversity

Thirty-something Nicky Fowler has it all – a rewarding career, a loving husband and the perfect home. But when she and her husband suffer a complicated tragedy, the strain of two people dealing with an impossible situation in different ways breaks up their marriage.

Emotionally los...more
I would like to thank the author for this book. It is now 2am, so, evidently, I could not put it down, and though this occurs with many novels I read, very few linger within me once I have flipped the final page. This entire story is close to my heart as my biggest passions in life are children and helping those less fortunate, and I am so often mesmerized by the love and hope those with so little have to offer. I've known for a long time that I want to work in places such as Kenya and Ecuador a...more
Joanne Guidoccio
When Heather Clark was pregnant with her second child, she started writing Chai Tea Sunday, a novel inspired by her Cousin Rachel’s teaching experiences in Kenya. Moved by stories of the remarkable orphans who gave so much unconditional love, Clark put pen to paper and crafted this tender and hopeful debut novel that can be easily read in one or two sittings.

Nicky and Eric Fowler appear to have it all. The elementary school teacher and lawyer have rewarding careers and live very comfortably in T...more
Kimberly
Wow - what a story! It was refreshing to read a book that kept me glued to the pages as I haven't found one in a very long time. Nicky became my best friend when I read this book (I literally felt like I knew her) and the author did such a wonderful job conveying the emotion of a really difficult plot. I felt like I was drawn into the book, and living the story alongside the characters. I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a really good read. It is guaranteed not to disappoin...more
Kelly L
This book is by far one of the best books I've read in a long time. It captured my attention at the very beginning and never let me down. I read it every spare moment I had and as great as the ending was, I'm a little sad it had to end. I enjoyed learning about Kenya as well as seeing Nicky and Eric find their way after enduring an incredible loss. Everything about the writing was relateable and I intend to buy copies for my friends.
Karen Glass
A great story with a satisfying ending. I listened on oneclickdigital, the library's audio download and it was well read and a good listen.

Nicky Fowler and he husband suffer the loss of their newborn daughter and grieve that loss differently causing them to separate. Nicky goes to Africa and works in an orphanage. A simple enough "plot", but the story is rich in character and sense of place. I loved it.
Iman
From the very first page, I just could not put it down. It had been a while since I was so excited to finish a book and this one did the job just right. Clarke's first novel is heart wrenching, so moving and for the lack of a better word, amazing. I became so invested in the story and the characters that I cried and laughed with them. It is officially one of my all-time favourites.
TamElaine
Beautiful, inside and out....So hard to believe this is a debut novel. I will certainly be looking for Heather's name penned on any future novels.

I fell in love with the characters, with the journey, with the emotion. I connected deeply to this book...While I've not been through the tragedy or journey specifically in this book, it spoke to me in my own life....

I found myself writing down quotes from the book that really stood out...These two quotes are something I've learned and am grateful to...more
Cher Staite
Diana Brown
I totally recommend this book!!!!!! I loved it, but found myself several times reaching for the kleenex box. When Bev and I first saw this book, we both thought it sounded interesting, and but it for our kobos. I have been hesitating reading it for some time, as I have been disappointed with a several books that were highly recommended. Bev and I decided to read it before Christmas so that we could discuss it during my visit. I read almost half of it while on the bus ride up to North Bay.

I am to...more
Gina
As I started reading this book I could not put it down. I was originally drawn to learning about the relationship of Nicky and her husband, then I was torn as they battled difficulty. As Nicky moved her life accross the country to try to regain a sense of herself I packed my bag to join her.

The life lead in Kenya was one I haven't had the opportunity to glimpse into often and I truly enjoyed the Historical aspects, the understanding of life there and the development of some amazing characters....more
Kymberley
Ms Clark's debut novel CHAI TEA SUNDAY is going to well received, on many book club lists and talked about around the water cooler! The story is tender, beautiful, sad, and yet filled with hope!

With no spoilers Nicky and her husband Eric are struggling with fertility issues; a devastating loss sends them both reeling. Eric retreats within himself and Nicky heads to Kenya to teach in an orphanage. It is here that her true journey begins.

Pour a cup of Chai, snuggle in with a blanket and read awa...more
Jenna
Chai Tea Sunday was a fantastic read. Right away I felt connected to the characters and absorbed into their lives. The way the author described Africa made me feel like I could visualize it in real colour and form. I finished this book with a new found understanding and appreciation for a part of the world I really knew quite little about.
Julie Frankel
Loved this book. I picked it up solely based on the name of the book. Chai tea is my favourite. Don't let the easy, sweet sounding title deceive you. This book is meaty with sadness, loss, love and hope. A fantastic debut novel. I can't believe that I hadn't heard of this book before. It deserves more attention than it is getting.
Elizabeth
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway. This novel captured me from the beginning. It's a beautifully told story of how people deal with grief and how it affects them and the people around them. Not only that but it shows how you can grow from it or you can let it consume you and change you for the worst. Deeply moving.
Gemma
I absolutely loved this book and would most definitely reccommend it to everyone! An emotional roller coaster with a delightful ending. I felt so close to the characters and at the same time so thankful for all that I have in my life.
I look forward to another novel by Heather Clark!
Carol Finch
Loved, loved, loved. Anyone looking for a great read that they can't put down should pick up this book. I bawled my eyes out and couldn't stop reading, but there are also some really tender, heartwarming moments as well. And it doesn't end sad - that's all I will say.
Katrina Carter
I finished reading this book last week for my book club and I couldn't put it down...it totally drew me in. In fact, almost a week later, I am still thinking of it. This is a fantastic read that is lined in hope. There aren't enough books out there like it. I loved it!!
Bethany Brewer
LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT!!!! I started and finished this book yesterday - I couldn't put it down. Amazing read that it at the top of my recommendation list!!! I'm a little sleepy today as I was up so late reading it. :)
Lisa
Well, all I can say is the first few chapters I cried. It is a very interesting story when the character goes to Kenya. It was definitely a Chai cup of tea for the soul. It warmed me in many ways!
Patricia
I really enjoyed this book! Heather perfectly describes Kenya... It brought me back to the time I spent there a decade ago.
Rachel Brown
Amazing book! Beautifully written, captivating story. It was hard to put down and well worth staying up too late to read.
Stephanie
I loved this book. It gripped my heart strings and I didn't want to put it down. A definite must read.
Lesley
I had a hard time putting this one down, had me in tears a lot along the way with the sad premise involved.
Jenna
So I wasn't really expecting to like this book as much as I did...I more or less read it because I love Chai tea. It ended up being a great quick read.

What I love most about this particular story, is that it was inspired by Clark's cousin, Rachel, and her experience with teaching in Kenya. It really is a remarkable tale of how orphan children, who have literally nothing end up giving Nicky more than she ever imagined. She finds out during her work at the orphanage that the Orphanage Director is...more
Brenda
Definitely a book you should read. A eye opener for me.
Kelly Schelske
Really enjoyed this book!
Brittany
Great, easy, touching read!
Tonya
All is well that ends well. In this wonderful story we have a young married couple, that can't seem to bring children into this world. However, one day they are successful. A little girl will be joining them soon. They both crave children, as a teacher Nicky loves children with such a passion.

When she has 2 months to go before their little girl will be born, Nicky suddenly goes into labor. But even more devestating is she is born with a rare disease and only lives a handful of hours.

Carrying thi...more
  • Elza's Kitchen: A Novel
  • Magnified World
  • More Than Words Can Say: A Novel
  • Under the Hawthorn Tree
  • Blood in the Water (Gregor Demarkian, #27)
  • Who is the Doctor: The Unofficial Guide to Doctor Who: The New Series