Start by marking “The Darling Girls” as Want to Read:
The Darling Girls

The Darling Girls

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Three women in love with the same man meet for the first time at his funeral. Can they separate the truth from the lies – and learn to trust again?

When world famous music conductor Leo Bruck dies suddenly, he leaves behind three grieving women and a mass of unanswered questions.

Did the man who juggled these simultaneous relationships while thrilling audiences around the gl...more
Published February 2014 by Head of Zeus (first published October 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Darling Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Darling Girls

Joanne D'arcy
Victoria is first and foremost a mother to Ralph, a surly teenager in the midst of his A levels and Salome. Eight years old and full of life. Victoria used to be a cellist, it was this that brought her into contact with the father of her children and the man she loves, her husband.

Maddy is the epitome of strong independent single mother. Her daughter Phoebe, has the best of everything that Maddy can provide. No one is going to help her, she is a successful event manager and thinks nothing of buy...more
Lisa
When world famous conductor Leo Bruck dies, he leaves behind three grieving women with a mass of unanswered questions. Victoria, the mother of his two children, sees herself as his rightful widow and is relying on a legacy to keep her children and herself comfortable. But when she begins to uncover some shocking secrets from Leo’s past, she wonders if she ever really knew him at all.
Maddy has been Leo’s mistress for eight years, and they have a daughter together. She seems to be an independent w...more
Gisela
I think it's okay. I didn't get bored but I wasn't too moved by the story.

This is a story of unusual friendship, forged by circumstances after the death of Leo. Leo was the lover of the three main characters of the story. All three believed Leo, until the lies unraveled themselves.

I liked that this has a happy ending and the author was able to tell their stories in a manner that is not confusing.
Jenny at Jennyinneverland
Firstly a quick thank you to Becci at Head of Zeus for sending me a copy of this book to review. The Darling Girls follows the lives of 3 women who become linked because the man they were all in love with dies. Victoria, the mother to Leo’s two children Ralph and Salome and his partner of 20 years sees herself as the rightful owner of his legacy but soon discovers secrets which indicate that Leo wasn’t the man she thought he was. Maddy is the mother of Leo’s other daughter, Phoebe and is the epi...more
K.B. Walker
This was a lovely read, plenty of pace and characters to care about. It was an interesting exploration into infidelity, the motivations and the damage it can cause across an incredibly wide age and socio-economic range. It also showed how kindness and forgiveness can bring good out of a dreadful situation.
ireadnovels.wordpress.com
First of all I love Head of Zenus books. I have read many, recommending all of these that I have read. What Have I done by Amanda Prowse is about a wife Katherine who kills her husband then serves a prison sentence. What Have I done is a deeply emotional story. I have also read Clovers Child about Dot who meets Sol which is set in 1961 when East End girls did not date west Indian boys. This is modern love story. Head of Zenus have a new release The Lie Of You by Jane Lythell which I can promise...more
Aunty Janet
Despite the improbable scenario the story is based on, this story intrigued me and the characters drew me into the story. I enjoyed it!

''Three women in love with the same man meet for the first time at his funeral. Can they separate the truth from the lies and learn to trust - and even love - again?
Did the man who juggled these simultaneous relationships while thril...more
Sara Palacios
The Darling Girls by Emma Burstall begins as Leo, a world famous conductor, dies and his three lovers meet for the first time at his funeral. The three women realize that they have an abdundant amount of unanswered questions and wonder about the man who was capable of juggling his brilliant career and his secrets all at the same time, whilst none of them ever had a clue.

Victoria, his partner of twenty years and mother of two of his children, relishes the fact that she thinks she knew Leo best, b...more
Lisa (Lost in Literature)
* Originally posted on Lost in Literature

Three women that couldn't be more different all had one thing in common: the same lover. The women were each living their own lives, aware their lover had other women, but decided not knowing was better than facing the truth. At his funeral the three women meet... and from there they uncover secrets and lies that will forever change them.

An extremely moving and emotional story, The Darling Girls takes you on a tour through the lives of these three women,...more
Emily
Cat had only been with Leo for a little over a year, but it was the most passionate relationship she has ever been in. Attending his funeral she has to face the other parts of his life though. Victoria, who Leo had two children with a 17 year old and an 8 year old. Victoria was for all purposes Leo’s wife yet he never would marry her. There is also Maddy, who is also the mother of Leo’s youngest, and also Leo’s mistress. These women all seemed to kind of know about each other, though Cat is news...more
Kathleen
The Darling Girls is the poignant story about three women who are in love with the same man, who meet for the first time at his funeral. From that meeting, the women are left to pick up the pieces of their lives after his death. As they explore the time that they each had shared with him, they discover unanswered questions and secrets about him, only to learn to separate the lies from the truth and face the reality of what their relationships really had been with him, while an unlikely friendshi...more
Lydia Laceby
Rated 2.5 Stars

Originally reviewed at Novel Escapes

The Darling Girls started interestingly enough, but gradually unravelled for me. Three women share only one common element, their lover, Leo and it is only at his funeral that they meet and discover he had affairs with all three of them, living part of the time in one place and part in another and having a third girl on the side. Devastated by both his death, and the revelation that their lives with Leo were far from perfect like they had thoug...more
Jill
Three women meet at the funeral of their lover, the Austrian conductor Leo. Over the next year they form a friendship, supporting each other as they discover that Leo was not all he seemed. Sounds trite but proved to be an entertaining if somewhat predictable read.
Nicola Worth
Thus was a little bit soppy for me, did not really care about any of the girls just thought that the women were spineless and should have know better. They all came across as women who were always in the end if the phone waiting for their man who they all shared. Nope this book not for me
Tracy
I totally agree with most of the other reviews.... This book has a really good plot which slowly drew me in. The Three female characters although all different we're likeable and easy to believe. This was a very easy book to get into but not so easy to put down! Highly recommend!
Vicky Cepel
Predictable if quite engaging story of the three women in the life of a composer who has recently died. The characters lack any real depth and I found myself impatient by the end as the outcome is never really in any doubt.

Having said that it is an easy poolside read.
Helen
I couldn't decide whether to give it a 3 or 4 . It is a good idea for a story and there's we're some lovely aspects but at times it was a little shallow . Worth a read though
Anita
Begins very slow but develops into a lovely story of three women who face tough times emotionally but manage to work it out. Some unexpected twist. Good ending.
Emma
"Sometimes" she says, "it's impossible to be impartial even in my job. Sometimes the case against someone is so damning and clear-cut there's really no argument"
Jayne Burnett

Read previously - predictable but reasonably good read abt 3 women who despite having been unknown rivals in love become friends.
Susan
Absorbing book about family relationships and deceit. If you like Joanna Trollope you will like this.
Rachel Faul
A good summer read, not very taxing and perfect as a holiday read that isn't too demanding.
Cara Shankly
I liked the three main characters but found the storyline weak and unbelievable.
Kelly Greaves
Absolutely loved this book I read it in 2 days couldn't put it down
Kirstie
Formulaic and obvious but I still quite enjoyed it.
Lynne Baker
Easy to read. Enjoyed it. Bit predictable
Kate
Great storyline, couldn't put it down!
Janice
My first kindle book.
Amanda Aylwin
couldn't put it down
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Emma is the author of three novels - Gym and Slimline, Never Close Your Eyes and The Darling Girls, which was in the Kindle and The Bookseller's e-book Top Ten.

She read English at Cambridge University and began her career as a cub reporter on the Western Morning News in Plymouth, later becoming features editor of Woman and Family Circle.

She has also written extensively for national newspapers and...more
More about Emma Burstall...
Gym and Slimline Never Close Your Eyes Do you yoga? The Darling Girls Do you yoga?: Roman (German Edition)