Start by marking “Before Watchmen: Nite Owl #1 (Before Watchmen: Nite Owl, #1)” as Want to Read:
Before Watchmen: Nite Owl #1 (Before Watchmen: Nite Owl, #1)

Before Watchmen: Nite Owl #1 (Before Watchmen: Nite Owl, #1)

When the original Nite Owl Hollis Mason retires, who will answer the call to take his place? Writer J. Michael Straczynski and artists Joe and Andy Kubert team to assemble the tale of tech-wizard Dan Dreiberg--the man who would carry the mantle of one of the world's greatest heroes.

“The hero known to the public only as Nite Owl announced his retirement today.” Plus: Don’t
Published June 27th 2012 by DC Comics (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Before Watchmen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before Watchmen

Abhinav
Jul 04, 2012 Abhinav rated it really liked it
Note: This is a guest review written by me for the Civilian-Reader blog.

My prior experience with Watchmen is limited to the 2009 film adaptation. I remember that it was an extremely weird experience, as I had no prior familiarity with it and I was rather confused for the whole of it. My friends helped fill in a few blanks later during dinner and then that was that. As you can no doubt tell, I was not motivated to go pick up Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons’ graphic novel and read the source material.
João Melo
Aug 07, 2015 João Melo rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Now we have the origin story of the second Nite Owl, Dan Dreiberg, and his partnership with Rorschach (well actually in this timeline according to Rorschach himself he is still just Walter Kovacs pretending to be Rorschach).
Well writen and well paced. We see the motivations and training for taking the Nite Owl name. I really enjoyed reading this, the first of the Before Watchmen series that I think actually made justice to the original characters.
We see Rorschach before he completely turned into
Kevin
Apr 04, 2013 Kevin rated it liked it
Very nice story, with solid connections to the original graphic novel as it answers questions regarding the character's past. Since Nite Owl's origin was only hinted at before this series, I liked how this issue effectively delves into that material. Only drawback is the art, particularly with the colors. While decent, the images just don't compare with the visceral and gritty elements of Dave Gibbons' work in the graphic novel. I like the designs, but I would've preferred a more Jim Lee/Gary ...more
s e n t i m e n t a l i t i e s olittlebear
Meh. Not very interested in this one. And what's with the bit where they pair the heroes? Why were there ones between Dr. Manhattan and Silk Spectre? Is that Dr. Manhattan's doing or alternate realities or what?.. Just the way on the next page Nite Owl even said he was sure they were fated. Yes I've seen the movie, read Watchmen, blahblah so I know the end result, but in this comic as a standalone.. Ideas?
Paul Dinger
Dec 06, 2012 Paul Dinger rated it did not like it
I recommend it for Joe Kubert's final art. It is his art although he is only listed as an inker. However, it is slavish to the Watchmen original and just shows how desperate this whole enterprise really is. Kubert's art makes you wish they got gutsey, they had the right author in J. Michial Straczynski who went balls out on several marvel titles. Say it aint so Joe?
Georgina
Nov 11, 2013 Georgina rated it really liked it
This was a great star to the Nite Owl series. However the only reason it fell short of the full 5 stars is I just don't believe that he would have spoken about the Silk Spectre, and his feelings for her, so openly with Rorschach. Other than that, pretty damn cool...Can't wait to get the next one started!
Christopher
Jan 25, 2013 Christopher rated it liked it
Was skeptical at first, but now am a huge fan of the Before Watchmen series. Just finished the four Nite Owl books and was pleasantly surprised. Great story on its own with nice ties to the original book.
Annette Jordan
Never really a fan of Nite Owl in the original books. at the time thought he was weak and a goody goody but have since realised he was the moral centre and conscience of the Watchmen. Will be interesting to see where this goes story wise
Dani
Though I never liked Nite Owl at all, this issue was completely amazing! And it features Rorschach's first appearence on this series.
Well written and incredibly illustrated. It develops the relationship between both Nite Owls, Hollis and Daniel.
Luiz Fernando
Aug 03, 2013 Luiz Fernando rated it liked it
The Nite owl arch of "Before Watchmen" is a fun read, but not a masterpiece, nor a must-read work.

Although it's not a waste of time, it's nothing near the original Watchmen.
Noel Manhattan
May 24, 2013 Noel Manhattan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No soy muy fan de los Kubert pero su arte en este cómic es impresionante. De todo lo que he leído hasta ahora... El color es el que menos me gusta.
Vinay
Vinay rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Logan Comstock
Logan Comstock rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2014
Ryan Cek
Ryan Cek rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2013
Cecilia Rose
Cecilia Rose rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Guni
Guni rated it it was ok
Mar 12, 2016
Connor Durflinger
Connor Durflinger rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2016
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Nathália
Nathália rated it really liked it
May 04, 2014
Andy Arnott
Andy Arnott rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Patso
Patso rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Udorie Fortune
Udorie Fortune rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Carlos Eguren
Carlos Eguren rated it did not like it
May 18, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2012
Martin Ehrlich
Martin Ehrlich rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2013
Lloyd John
Lloyd John rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2016
Louise
Louise rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Silvana Siguenas
Silvana Siguenas rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2014
E.S.
E.S. rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2012
Targaryen
Targaryen rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Before Watchmen: Ozymandias #1 (Before Watchmen: Ozymandias, #1)
  • Before Watchmen: Silk Spectre #1 (Before Watchmen: Silk Spectre, #1)
  • Before Watchmen: Rorschach #1 (Before Watchmen: Rorschach, #1)
Joseph Michael Straczynski (born July 17, 1954), known professionally as J. Michael Straczynski and informally as Joe Straczynski or JMS, is an American writer and television producer. He works in films, television series, novels, short stories, comic books, and radio dramas. He is a playwright, a former journalist, and author of The Complete Book of Scriptwriting. He was the creator and ...more
More about J. Michael Straczynski...