Start by marking “Across the Creek (Jesse & Sarah, #1)” as Want to Read:
Across the Creek (Jesse & Sarah, #1)

Across the Creek (Jesse & Sarah #1)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,621 Ratings  ·  134 Reviews
Life only gives you one first kiss.

Published June 15th 2012 (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Across the Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Across the Creek

Anne OK
Jul 21, 2012 Anne OK rated it really liked it
Recommended to Anne OK by: Amazon Kindle Freebie
Shelves: 2012-reads
Very seldom do I find a book in the romance genre by a male author that completely overwhelms. Jeremy Asher did just that in Across the Creek. I highly recommend this story to readers looking for something a little different and a whole lot unique. The plot is endearing as well as frustrating. Relationships between the characters are well-crafted with emotion, believability, and realism. A bittersweet sentiment runs throughout the tender and enchanting storyline that will keep a reader’s instinc ...more
Carmen
Oct 01, 2012 Carmen rated it it was ok
I took a chance on a free book on Kindle. Across the Creek is a generic story of the innocence of first love. Despite lacking real character depth and my overall ho-hum attitude, I finished the book expecting it to resolve nicely. Instead, I was left with a cliffhanger. I didn't realize until the end that I was reading the first book in a series. I'm not sure I will invest the time to read the second installment. I'm sure that the next book will end how I expected this book to end.
Elizabeth (Liz)
11/26/12......Amazon freebie
Loraine
Aug 08, 2013 Loraine rated it really liked it
SUMMARY: Life only gives you one first kiss.

And when Jesse Malone kissed Sarah Ramsey, he thought his life would change, but not in the way that it did. An unlikely childhood romance between a poor boy and a wealthy girl began the day Jesse decided to do the impossible and cross the creek. A love was born, one that would become their shelter, protecting them from the storms of their lives, until the day Jesse witnessed his mother’s murder, forcing him to leave his childhood home…and first love.

T
Aug 26, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
Across the Creek felt like a really short book. At the end I just felt like oh it is over already? I didn't feel like much happened in it so it was just okay.

The story starts off with Jesse and Sarah's first kiss, and the last time they have seen each other. Then it jumps to 10 years later when they stumble across each other again. There is the instant attraction again, but Sarah is engaged.

Even though Sarah is engaged, and loves her fiance, she is still attracted to Jesse. He is there for her
Jenn
Jul 05, 2012 Jenn rated it really liked it
Kadijah Michelle
Feb 15, 2016 Kadijah Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
This book is a soap opera on paper, and a good popcorn read. I just downloaded the squeal because just like a soap opera, you know the story is just going to keep going. You can't help hoping for the fairy tale ending to this story.
Courtney Stephens
Sep 26, 2013 Courtney Stephens rated it it was amazing
This was a sad love story. I cried and laughed my way through this book. I think Jesse and Sarah should end up together in the end. But who knows how the series will play out. Can't wait to read the next two books
Ravioli Rachel
Apr 01, 2013 Ravioli Rachel rated it liked it
3 out of 5 Stars

Mainly because there was no HEA, I'm assuming it will occur in the next book but, I really hate endings like that. Leaves me feeling unfulfilled by the end of the book. Blah!!!
Fizzy
Jan 14, 2017 Fizzy rated it really liked it
'Love always comes with a consequence.' This line right there sums up Jesse and Sarah, and honestly life in general. Everything you do, including love, comes with consequences both positive and negative. Something I say so much it hurts. However, for Jesse and Sarah there is so much more than that. There's not a lot I can say about the storyline that isn't covered in the synopsis without giving away major plot things. So I won't. However, if you are looking for happily ever after, this may not b ...more
LAWonder10
Dec 30, 2012 LAWonder10 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful, well-written, bitter-sweet love story.
Jesse and Sarah were childhood friends from opposite ends of the social ladder.
Sarah was his first and only love and his first kiss.
Jesse and Robbie, his brother, were always having to flee from town to town
with their mother to avoid having their father find them. He was a violent, abusive drunk.
The day Jesse returned form the old Willow tree after receiving his first kiss, he found
his father brutally beating his mother and Robbie in t
Archna Yadav
Jun 15, 2016 Archna Yadav rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, kindle
This book has been lying in my Kindle library for too long , so I decided to start reading it. I have never read anything by this author and hence I wasn't sure as to what to expect.
The reason I liked this book so much and gave it 4 out of 5 stars is the way it was portrayed . Some scenes were written so well that made me feel the pain and yearning of both main characters.

Jesse is poor whereas Sarah is rich. Jesse address himself as 'Clear Creek Trash' and Sarah as ' Whispering Meadows Princes
Jacy  Hahn
May 11, 2015 Jacy Hahn rated it really liked it
Sue
Feb 12, 2014 Sue rated it it was amazing
Life only gives you one first kiss.

Ten years
Gary
Jun 29, 2012 Gary rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, booked
Across the Creek is an amazing novel that makes you relate to the characters from the very first chapter. They are characters that you want to get to know. They are people that I would want to be friends with.

These are well crafted characters that Jeremy Asher has created. They are good nature people moving through life doing the best that they can, given their situations. Jesse Malone is a well-meaning guy that finds his simple life complicated with the reintroduction of the only girl that he h
Phyllis Gauker
Oct 24, 2014 Phyllis Gauker rated it it was ok
I didn't realize when I began the book that it was a Ya. since I am 74, it wasn't exactly my style, but I think it might be beneficial for a person who needs to get in contact with reality. It focused on a few common young people type problems such as getting a bad reputation by association, showing loyalty to an absurd level, being in love with two people at the same time etc. I was just sure it was going to have the pat "happy" ending, but it surprised me. It was rather repetitious, sort of th ...more
Julie Baker
Mar 26, 2014 Julie Baker rated it it was amazing
I tend to not pay attention to the author of a book until I've read it. My first reaction at the end of this was to blurt out "A dude wrote that?" This was quite possibly one of the sweetest, most relatable stories I've read in a long time. I get Jesses side because I know what its like to never get over your first love (I've been married to mine for almost 12 years after a 4 year split). I unfortunately get Sarah's side of it too. My dad is sick but he's still fighting. I felt her pain on a lev ...more
Peg
Aug 15, 2013 Peg rated it really liked it
I received this novel as a free download from Amazon. Thank you!

This is a tender, romantic, love story beginning when the two protagonists were 12 years old. The boy is poor and the girl is rich which always seems to give the author plenty to write about. After a separation of 10 years, they meet again. Their love resurfaces but there are complications which keep them from being together. The supporting characters are interesting and believable. The novel has a nice flow and held my interest thr
Vianey
Jan 24, 2014 Vianey rated it really liked it
A roller coaster of emotions I laughed, cried and grew frustrated with the characters at some parts. This book had me in from the beginning. It was a well-written bittersweet love story. I enjoyed the characters and could feel what they were feeling. You can easy relate to the characters, it is a typical love story plot between a rich girl and a guy who doesn't have enough money and a rough upbringing, there was something more to this book though. The characters were true and genuine, it made th ...more
Brenda Benoit
Feb 24, 2015 Brenda Benoit rated it really liked it
This book was a freebie through Amazon that I downloaded some time ago and recently came across it again. When I read the summary I almost deleted it as I'm definitely not as enthused about reading romances as I used to be but I decided to give it a shot. I'm so glad I did. It was a romance but there was so much more to it than that. Of course the story of Jesse and Sarah was prominent but there were other little side stories that affected them. I really related to what Sarah was going through w ...more
Martha
Oct 02, 2013 Martha rated it really liked it
This book definitely did not end the way I expected it. Once I got past the prologue I was hooked. I had to know what happened with Jesse, Robbie, and Sarah. I was so glad I kept reading. While the story behind the book seems a little far-fetched, this is a work of fiction and as such the author takes us to a place that only a writer could. I found a little bit of myself in this book when Sarah was confronted with her father's mortality. Before I realized it I was finished with the book and look ...more
Jan Cole
Apr 01, 2013 Jan Cole rated it it was amazing
I thought this would be a good love story but OMG!!!!! I had no idea how good. The author does a good job defining each character. You feel as if you have known the main characters all your life. The story is well written, and with the details you can see the willow tree and the surrounds like you are there.

Besides being a romance, this story tells a tale of family. The lengths that family go to for each other and the love they share. I look forward to reading the sequal to this book.

Highly rec
Beth
I enjoyed this book. The characters are well-developed and really draw you in - not just the two main leads, but the supporting cast as well. The plot is interesting, the book is well-written, and the author does a good job of evoking realistic emotions. The one thing I felt was missing was more about Jesse and Sarah's history as kids - we get little bits and pieces, but never enough of a picture.
Dawn Hicks
Apr 03, 2014 Dawn Hicks rated it it was amazing
Jesse and Sarah are childhood friends ad their story is very touching. Once the run back into one another their feelings resurface and they both try hard to fight it. However, Jesse wants Sarah to be happy and also be able to help his brother so he sacrifices his love for Sarah to help his brother. Sarah's father leaves her a wonderful surprise in the time capsule and I hope that Jesse and Sarah can be together somehow.
Jessica
May 08, 2014 Jessica rated it liked it
So the author did a really good job with this book I think until the end. The book is sad and I spent at least half of the time I was reading it in tears. I understand that the author is going for a trilogy here so the story couldn't just end but did they half to go this direction with it? I don't think I am going to read the next one. I think I will check out other books from this author though because I really liked his style.
Rachel Lynn Sterling
Dec 27, 2012 Rachel Lynn Sterling rated it really liked it
Loved this book! It is very well written with few errors. Jesse & Sarah’s relationship is very intense and I tried not the like Kevin (the other guy), but he kept redeeming himself. There were some real heart-pounding scenes and I couldn’t stop reading! Be warned – it doesn’t end quite the way you would expect and you’ll definitely want to read the second book, Beneath the Willow, so go ahead and buy both. (And no, I’m not a friend of the author!)
Kelly
May 25, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good! This was a free kindle download; I never expect much from my free book purchases, but this one was well worth it. I might just purchase the next two in the trilogy, just to see what happens next.

The two main characters, Jesse and Sarah, are very likable and relatable. Their personal experiences are real and, unfortunately, sad. However, the way they deal with their tragedies and help each other is what keeps the story moving. It is a perfect summer read.
Mona
Jul 18, 2012 Mona rated it really liked it
First love can be tough....especially when you're separated after your first kiss. A touching look at two kids who fell in love only to be separated by circumstances beyond their control. When they rediscover each other love reignites, but Fate isn't playing nice.

Touching and sensitive look at young love. I read it in one sitting, and now I'm waiting for the next installment.
Carol
Jun 03, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it
I don't generally go for romance novels, which is exactly what this is, but this one was really quite well done. I started it out of boredom one evening and then couldn't put it down. It's tastefully written and has good characters. My only complaint - it's a series and leaves with a not-so-concluded feeling. Suppose that makes sense, though, right?
Linda Branich
Feb 16, 2016 Linda Branich rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I LOVED this book. It was the first I read by this author and I'm starting Beneath the Willow today.

I do not want to spoil anything for potential readers except to say that I love the characters and the rural setting for part of the story. The reader will find a strong sense of family ties that is endearing.
  • Seventy-Two Hours
  • Take A Deep Breath
  • Undertow
  • Some Day Somebody
  • Memories
  • Homesong
  • Baby, I'm Back! (Return to Redemption, #2)
  • Blue Heaven (Blue Lake #1)
  • Missing Pieces of My Forever-Heart
  • The Life List (The List Trilogy, #1)
  • The Boots My Mother Gave Me
  • Mad About You
  • My Temporary Life (My Temporary Life, #1)
  • More Than Memories
  • Bring Me Back
  • Promise Cove (Pelican Pointe, #1)
  • The Summer I Learned to Dive
  • Playing at Forever
Jeremy is an author of love stories—emotional journeys that include love found and love lost, humor, romance, danger, and twists that leave the story and characters resonating with you long after you turn the last page. Jeremy’s love for life and family are a constant in his books. Whether you’re relaxing at the pool or curling up next to a fire with a glass of wine, his characters come to life as ...more
More about Jeremy Asher...

Jesse & Sarah (3 books)
  • Beneath the Willow (Jesse & Sarah, #2)
  • Close to Home (Jesse & Sarah, #3)

“It’s passion that breathes life into the shells of our existence.” 0 likes
“he hadn’t known Sarah’s father long, he felt that his own life was somehow better having spent a few moments with him. He sat” 0 likes