The Scent of Lies (Paradise Valley Mystery, #1)

The Scent of Lies (Paradise Valley Mystery #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  235 ratings  ·  54 reviews
EMILY PARKER struggles to move on from the devastating loss of her husband. The young widow finds herself sucked into a desperate search for the killer of both her late husband, a private investigator in the small, affluent town of Paradise Valley, and the unfaithful husband of his last client.

The police arrest a convenient suspect, which pulls Emily dangerously into the...more
Published June 7th 2012 by Lake House Books

To ask other readers questions about The Scent of Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scent of Lies

One for the Money by Janet EvanovichTracing the Contours by Honor Amelia DawsonI Scream, You Scream by Wendy Lyn WatsonHard Eight by Janet EvanovichDiners, Dives & Dead Ends by Terri L. Austin
Cozy Crimes
57th out of 161 books — 123 voters

More lists with this book...

Kate's Reads
"The Scent of Lies", is Book 1 in the Paradise Valley Mystery Series by Debra Burroughs and it is chock full of mystery. Emily is a young widow whose husband, Evan, was murdered six months ago and the murder has yet to be solved. There is a new detective in town from the big city, Colin and things are about to change. As Emily transitions from her real estate career to taking over Evan's private investigation business things get shaken up in the small town of Paradise Valley. Her first client (E...more
Jenna
Pros: Interesting setting, good mystery, excellent editing

Cons: Did not like most characters (maIn character EmIly was not "sweet" as descrIbed once In book - she reacts strangley & abandons frIends In the mIddle of conversatIons on numerous occasIons), several unanswered matters (so does she ever officially quit her original job?), dialogue seemed fake most times (always full sentences and never a "uh huh" etc), overuse of word "scream" during conversations, sometimes unimaginative situatio...more
Cathie
This is the second book I've read by Debra Hurroughs & tho I did enjoy it, it really lacked any real depth. The plot was easy enough to follow with no real suspense. I couldn't make up my mind about the main character, Emily Parker, whose husband was murdered & who decided to leave her lagging real estate business to take over her late husbands PI business. What bothered me the most about Emily was that whenever Emily was out with her friends she would end up abruptly walking out on them...more
Crystal T. Stewart
Wonderful read. Thoroughly enjoyed the story line and characters. The growing relationship between Emily a.d Colin made you root for old fashioned romance that needs time to grow and flourish. Looking forward to reading next book.

would highly recommend this book to any...more
Wanda
Emily Parker, a great character that exudes a lot of confidence and spunk, is a real estate agent. Her husband, a Private Investigator, had been shot to death six months earlier, and the murder has gone unsolved. Emily is approached by Delia, a former client of her husband, to take over the investigation her husband had begun. Emily agrees and becomes a Private Investigator with little or no experience. She also hopes to solve her husband's murder during this adventurous quest. And the story unf...more
Rebecca Vance
The Scent of Lies is Book 1 of 4 in the Paradise Valley Mysteries series by Debra Burroughs. This is a romantic mystery, but unlike many of this genre, it is not heavy-handed romance with the mystery as a sideline. The emphasis is on the mystery, or mysteries in this instance. I find that very refreshing. There is nothing wrong with romance, but if you are going to call it a mystery, that should be the focal point. Ms. Burroughs has an excellent balance of both throughout the entire book.

Emily P...more
Kayz
Good murder mystery

Debra Burrourghs takes the reader on a ride with many twists and turns. This story is well written and has an ending that is gratifying. The reader can't help but get involved with the characters,either. They seem as real as your next door neighbor or your best friend. I look forward to book 2!
Masci
Debra Burroughs hass once again has me addicted to yet another one of he books.I love the characters in this book.They are so real and so likeable you want them for your own.They all just be there for each other.Each time i thought i knew who the killer was,there would be some kind of twist to make me question myself.You were rooting for Emily from beginning.Can she solve this muder and really become a private investigator that she truly wants to be?She proves herself to all of those who doubt h...more
Jeanie Jackson
Good story with likeable characters. Although the narrative started off a little stilted, it smoothed out through the story and continued to get better over the next several books. There is an series arc about Emily's husband but the central mystery is wrapped up. (I read the first 4 back to back.)
Angel
Not badly written, light romantic suspense. Could have used a little more meat. I am pretty sure an entire interview was repeated, and the killer was obvious. I would read more by this author and in this series.
Megan Zerbe
Good read

this book was a quick read, and had the right balance of romance and mystery. I wan engrossed throughout the book, trying to figure out who committed the crime. The characters were relatable and I enjoyed reading about their friendships/relationships as much as enjoyed reading about the mystery. For a quick,easy read, I would recommend this book!
Tricia Defalco
This is a fun book; a light read where a cop and newly appointed p.i. meet and team up to solve a friend's involvement in a murder. It is predictable, fun and fast paced and am looking forward to the next book in the series.
Patsy Fox
I really enjoyed this book. There was murder, suspense and romance. I think this is going to be a good series. I will be reading more from this series.
DE ANN ALLEN
The Scent of Lies was a quick read

Burroughs wrote a mysterious book weaving the lives of characters so a murder could be solved. This is an author that I will look forward to reading again.
Lynda Butler
Great combination of mystery, romance and a little quirky comedy.. Great series of books
Dannye
Burroughs is a good writer, and I enjoyed her characters and the story. Just a warning: don't get upset when you get to the end of this book and discover that she has left you hanging about one of the two mysteries in the book. Since this is Book 1, I'm assuming Book 2 will follow the first mystery through to its conclusion. I have to admit that I was disappointed that I wouldn't be able to experience closure, however. Despite my issue with her "leaving me hanging," I would recommend her books t...more
Kathy
Debra Burroughs is a new favorite author of mine after reading this WONDERFUL book! Our heroine Emily Parker, real estate agent and widow of PI Evan Parker, finds mystery surrounding the murder of her husband and decides to do some sleuthing on her own. Our hero is Colin Andrews, local Police Detective who is attracted to this stubborn lady PI as she investigates the same murder case!! Throw in well meaning girlfriends and their husbands and you have a wonderfully light romantic suspense story y...more
Pam
It was okay. A light romantic suspense was the way it was described. There are three or four more books the author has written about the same people. It was light reading.
Helen Burroughs
Favorite Quote(s): She thought about how Evan used to say, "If stupid hurt, most people would stop."

I liked the characters a lot, but the story was a bit too weak. And, the manuscript could have benefitted from another edit.
Linda Cole
Thrilling mystery

I enjoyed everything about this book. I liked Emily and was glad to see how she handled herself in dangerous and romantic situations. Will read more
Nancy
Aug 27, 2012 Nancy added it
Emily Parker, a young widow whose late husband was a private investigator, picks up one of the cases he wasn't able to finish and begins investigating. She works for a clint who thinks her younger husband is having an affair and also embezzling from her company. With her friends and a handsome police detective, she discovers the husband was unfaithful and eventually killed by the woman with whom he was having an affair. The client's younger assistant kills the unfaithful husband.
Diana Hockley

I realise that this book is the first in a series, but that isn't as excuse not to finish the book.

Written in a very simple, almost teenage style - no imagery or details, just what they did and said - this novel is littered with repetition and misplaces commas.

The mystery surrounding Emily's husband is not answered and the identity of the murderer is screamingly obvious.

Disappointing.

***
P S Karr
I got these books as an anthology or boxed set and read them back to back, which was actually quite enjoyable. The books, or one giant book, are set in a small town called Paradise Valley somewhere in Idaho.

The book actually surpassed my expectation, and i think it is a must read for mystery lovers.

A Million Kindle Books
Doreen
I can't give away too much without spilling... This book is a quick read. I enjoyed it. It was a tad slow in the beginning, but sometimes, it needs to be, so you get a good understanding of what the characters have gone through that influences the decisions they make now.

Having said that, you really end up rooting for the heroine. You will not be disappointed in the twists this book delivers.
Petula
This book picked up nicely after a bit of a slow start. Emily is a young widow who is struggling with her loss . When she finds something in her husband's clothes that turns her life upside down. Colin is the new detective in town. He has a murder that looks cut and dry until Emily stirs things up. This book is the first in a series and I will be reading the next one soon .
Debra Burroughs
Jun 27, 2012 Debra Burroughs rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
From the first page, this book was a fun and exciting read. Emily is a sassy, stubborn lady private eye that is also very endearing, as are her close circle of friends. All the characters are warm and engaging and the romance between Emily and the hot new police detective is passionately sweet. The story is so well crafted that you'll be wondering who did it til the very end.
J. Ewbank
Enjoyed this book by Debra Burroughs very much. It is a good mystery one that those who like to read mysteries will enjoy. Obviously more books are to come and they will undoubtedly be good reads also. Liked the characters and the plot. The characters were well sketched out.

J. Robert Ewbank author "Wesley's Wars" and "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms"
Maggie
On a whole, the book was okay. I must say I knew who the murderer was almost from the start. I thought it was kind of obvious and it took them the whole book to come to the same conclusion. Was disappointed in the ending but if there is going to be a sequel, maybe that will be left to the next one in the series. Who was her husband anyway?
Valerie
This was a great little book and I really enjoyed reading it! I am looking forward to reading the rest in the series! The story line was great, the characters were fun and well developed and the writing smooth and with little grammar/spelling issues. This author will definitely be put on my list to keep a look out for any new books!
  • Roll The Dice (Vegas, #2)
  • The Volkov Affair
  • Neighbors and More (High Rise #1)
  • Dirty Little Secrets
  • Lost and Found (Walk the Right Road, #2)
  • License to Thrill
  • Sweet Vengeance
  • The Protector (Crossfire, #1)
  • Torch Ginger (Lei Crime, #2)
  • An Eye For Danger
  • Dead End Job
  • A Dangerous Harbor
  • The Watcher (Bigler County #1)
  • Gambling on Love (Travis Series #1)
  • A Stranger's Touch
  • The Huntress
  • Dead Again
  • Dangerous Kisses
Debra Burroughs writes with intensity and power. Her characters are rich and the stories are full of compelling suspense and real romance. She can be found, most days, sitting in front of her computer in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, dreaming up and writing about strong women, their relationships with men (good and bad), involved in exciting, mysterious, and romantic situations.
More about Debra Burroughs...
Three Days in Seattle The Heart of Lies (Paradise Valley Mystery, #2) The Pursuit of Lies (Paradise Valley Mystery, #4) The Chain of Lies (Paradise Valley, #3) She Had No Choice