Start by marking “The Kings of Charleston (The Kings of Charleston #1)” as Want to Read:
The Kings of Charleston (The Kings of Charleston #1)

The Kings of Charleston (The Kings of Charleston #1)

Casper Whitley is forced to move to Charleston, South Carolina where she’ll be the new kid her senior year of high school. Casper’s upset about the move until she meets the Roman family’s gorgeous son, Cal, but there’s a problem. A mystery surrounds him which can be summed up in one word…Kythera. Never heard of it? Neither has Casper until she finds the word tattooed on ca ...more
Published July 10th 2012 by Kat H Clayton (first published June 23rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Kings of Charleston, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kings of Charleston

Jenni Arndt
Mar 05, 2013 Jenni Arndt rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc-own
I have to be honest and say that what sold me on THE KINGS OF CHARLESTON was the cover. I liked how, for a YA novel, it exuded a bit of sexiness that you don't normally see. It's pretty simple and yeah, it just worked for me. What didn't work was what was inside. A long drawn out story about a high society of complete riff raff that I cared nothing about.

My hatred for this novel has to be started with the MC Casper (I know right? We have the friendly freakin' ghost here.) This girl was such a pa
Alise  (Readers in Wonderland)
_________________________________
Kings of Charleston Review
_________________________________
Full formatting of this review at link above.

I found my thoughts really hard to organize after reading this novel so I have sorted them into a Pros and Cons list.

Pros:
Mystery
Casper is forced to move into a new world, away from things she holds dear, to a town that seems to be surrounded by a word. Kythera. Casper finds it on a painting in her house, then on her neighbors' cars, and even on their bodies.
Justin
Mar 24, 2013 Justin rated it really liked it
The Kings of Charleston wasn’t quite as great as I was hoping it would be. It was still a good book though, there was just some things that I got a little aggravated about. Kat is a talented writer, her story was well written and concise but when it came to the characters I was a little let down by them which I will discuss later. I was looking for an epic mystery which I really didn’t find in this book, I did however find a good mystery.

The overall feel of the story is great. The plot is engagi
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
The Kings Of Charleston is one of those books that takes you by surprise. I love Charleston, South Carolina and I found the scenery so familiar that I felt right at home reading this book. I love the world build up that Kat did. She started off slow and built you into this new life that was a secretive world that the characters are a part of.

Casper Whitley is upset because her parents are moving her to a new place to live for her senior year of high school. Every parent should know that is a no
Raina {The LUV'NV}
The Kings of Charleston is one of those books I find hard to review. For one, I don't want to spoil the plot, which is the strongest attribute the book has. Two, I'm torn, with a lot of mixed feelings. There were parts I loved and others I didn't like at all.

As soon as I started the book, I was pulled into the female protagonist's life as the heir of a business empire, and I liked her immediately. Casper is no Southern Belle or typical teenage blue blood. She's a tomboy who loves horses and i
Heather
Mar 21, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
There were a couple of things that attracted me to The Kings of Charleston after reading the synopsis. First off, I am a big fan of secret societies in the books I read. I love the mystery, the initiations, all of it. Plus it feels like most secret societies in books and films are either a) totally elitist and snobby (and thus, aching to be trounced in a very public fashion) or b) sinister and foreboding in nature, and usually up to no good. The Kings of Charleston definitely gave me a sinister ...more
Mary Grace
May 12, 2013 Mary Grace rated it liked it
In a town where money and power speaks volume, can Casper’s efforts make a difference to save herself and her family? After all the cards are laid out, Casper has only one choice and that is to be a part of them. Will she be able to handle what it takes to be inside Kythera?

Casper is a very cultured and down to earth young lady who grew up in the privilege side of town. Her family has money and power that can make anyone jealous. In spite being born with a silver spoon, Casper doesn’t want any o
Jessica (Stuck in Books)
The Kings of Charleston has a really intresting premise. That was what drew me in in the first place. It seemed mysterious and cool and I thought I'd have fun reading it. Add to that the fact that there was--OHMYGOSH--some romance in here? I OBVIOUSLY needed to read this book.

Now that I've read it, I know I was right to look forward to the mystery. It was interesting, riveting, and kept me on my toes. The romance, however, wasn't really much to write home about. It wasn't BAD. It was not. But it
Neyra ♦
Mar 24, 2013 Neyra ♦ rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
Actual Rating: 2.5

Seventeen year old Casper Whitley's life has been turned upside down when her parents decide to uproot the family and move from Kentucky to South Carolina, to a little town called Charleston. Casper is less than thrilled, she not only leaves behind friends, her school, and her home, but her beloved horses. Upon arriving to Charleston, her father announces that an old friend of his and his family will be stopping by and once they do, Casper meets their handsome son, Cal. But Cal
Christianna Marks
Mar 12, 2013 Christianna Marks rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
You can read this and many other reviews on my YA book blog The White Unicorn!

Who doesn't love a good mystery? That's what I thought to myself before digging into The Kings of Charleston. And I have to admit that there was quite a bit of mystery woven throughout the novel, even though I also have to admit that I wish more would have been brought to light as the book progressed. I'm guessing that we will find out more in the second book in the series?

The novel itself was very slow moving and in
Maija
Mar 05, 2013 Maija rated it liked it
Source: I received an e-copy for reviews purposes
When thinking about this book, I get this warm and happy feeling regarding the story this book tells. I just really like this book, the story is nothing like I have read before and the idea for it is really good.
This book caught my attention right from the first page and held it throughout. There`s a lot of action and fascinating things happening- about Charleston and its` natives, the story Casper tells us and the secrelts she unravels through th
Sadrina
Mar 28, 2013 Sadrina rated it really liked it
I have to admit The Kings of Charleston is very interesting in terms of the plot. The story itself is unique and full of mystery. Every time I read any book, I have a habit of guessing what kind of people I'm dealing with. And I have to say, I never got it right with The Kings of Charleston. In fact, none of my guesses came close to what they actually are, which I liked and see as a challenge.

As The Kings of Charleston is told in our heroine, Casper's point of view, we get to feel how frustrated
Farrah
Mar 28, 2013 Farrah rated it really liked it
A unique book in the world of YA. The Kings of Charleston was a lovely read that I really enjoyed.

I had two minor issues with the book, so I'm going to get those out of the way now.
First, I wish that there had been more development in the relationship between Casper and Cal. I didn't feel like their relationship was fully developed. I wanted to see more of them falling for each other before they started throwing out "I love you"s.
Second, I wanted to know more about what the Kythera was. It was
Marybeth (Manhattan Reader)
Mar 24, 2013 Marybeth (Manhattan Reader) rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review, ebook
A fun mixture of romance and mystery all thrown together into one big novel, where a central theme keeps asking the same question and wondering what is going on.

When Casper moves to Charleston, South Carolina she finds more there than what she had originally anticipated, especially when it comes to Cal and his family. And when it comes to the town as a whole and the one mysterious word: Kythera.

Why I liked the mystery aspect of this so well is that Clayton didn't say that 2+ blank = 5. She gave
Natalee Grimaldi
Apr 14, 2013 Natalee Grimaldi rated it really liked it
The Kings of Charleston kept me hooked till the very end! A keep-you-on-your-toes thriller that made my heart race with every turn of the page!

For readers wanting a good mystery with a mob-like feel to the plot, then this is the book for you. Written in Casper’s(female lead) POV, you’re taken deep into a secret society(Kythera) with dirty tricks up their sleeves, and even dirtier secrets.

Casper is a pretty great character. She develops and morphs from a quiet, introvert to a full-blown boss lady
Antonia♥
Mar 11, 2013 Antonia♥ rated it really liked it
''The Kings of Charleston'' is an intense read and I'm pretty sure everybody who loves action and a little bit of romance will like it. It's not the best book I have ever read but I really enjoyed reading it.

Casper's parents forced her to move to Charleston, because of an important business with Tyson Roman. Of course, Casper was not happy about the idea, although she had to comply with it. At the beginning it was hard for her but then she met Cal, Tyson's son and everything became better. Cal
Richard (Bound & Determined...)
Being as huge a fan as I am of Southern books, I was instantly drawn to this book. I liked the premise of the story, that it was YA, and that it seemed so very fun.

I couldn’t always relate to Casper. She seemed to be too much of a rebel without a cause. She was also too willing and eager to do whatever Cal said, just like a lost little puppy. Which she wasn’t. Remember, she was trying to be a rebel? What I could relate to was the her desire to know about Kythera (a secret society), why she was i
Adriana
Apr 30, 2013 Adriana rated it it was ok
She's Got Books on Her Mind

Casper's life takes a complete turn when she is forced to move to Charleston, a town with its share of secrets. Everywhere she goes there is the word "Kythera" - on cars, on people and people become frightened when they see it. No one's telling her anything even Cal who has an immediate interest in her. Obviously she's going to have to figure out the mystery of this town but that doesn't mean she will like the answer.

Many times I thought this book was going too fast. T
Karen
Mar 23, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
The King’s of Charleston is a mixture of young romance and mystery. Author Kat H. Clayton’s writing pulled me into the story right from the beginning. The characters particularly Casper, is unlike the typical high-school rich girl who comes from wealth and society. Cal, the alpha male is not your typical high-school boy and he is a bit of mystery and intrigue rolled up in a sexy package.
This story was full of intrigue and the story was unique. I thought the story was a little light on romance, (
Montana G.
Mar 01, 2013 Montana G. rated it really liked it
The main reason I wanted to read the The Kings of Charleston was based on how unique the synopsis sounded. I was really curious to see what the Kythera was and I wasn't disappointed by what it turned out to be. The Kings of Charleston had great writing and an awesome storyline.

Casper, the main character, is trying to figure out what Kythera is and why it's such a huge status symbol in the new town she's just moved to. I understood how motivated Casper was to figure out all the secrets the town w
Gabic Reads
Mar 14, 2013 Gabic Reads rated it really liked it
Original review on Gabic Reads as part of The Kings of Charleston Blog Tour

It took me a while to get into The Kings of Charleston, but once I did, I was addicted. Casper is not your typical heiress. She could do without the clothes and the parties and the expensive cars as long as she still has her horses. The Kentucky farm and the horses are all that really matter. So when her father decides to move the family to Charleston, South Carolina, Casper doesn't know what to do. She's leaving everythi
Sabriena
Mar 06, 2013 Sabriena rated it really liked it

The Kings of Charleston was a fast paced story with mystery, romance and action. At one time I thought I had everything figured out only to find out that it was only partly true.

Kythera is a word that you see a lot of as it plays a huge role in why Caspers family left Kentucky to move to Charleston. Casper tries desperately to find out what it means and no one will tell her, not even Cal. Cal is the reason she is in Charleston and after getting to know him, she doesn't seem to mind.

I really enj
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
Even though I rated this a three, it is a good three. This book did keep my interest, there were really no slow parts. I thought the idea was fresh and original. Don't we all like reading about spoiled rich kids? And I loved the main character - Casper..

The character development, in my opinion could have been better. I loved Casper and I thought her character was great, I did really get a feel for her personality. But that's it - all the other characters were just there, names on paper. I even
ReadingToTheStarsAndBack
Feb 23, 2013 ReadingToTheStarsAndBack rated it really liked it

Read full review at: ReadingToTheStarsAndBack

The one word that I would use to describe this book would be impressive. All the way though this book I was impressed. By the characters, the flow of the writing, the action, all of it!

Casper has moved from her home town, into Charleston. She had to leave behind her passion, horses. Her father wanted to move for “business reasons.” Casper and her family are very, very well off, but even though Casper has a lot of money that doesn’t make her a spoilt b
Froggarita
Apr 02, 2013 Froggarita rated it really liked it
This book takes a 17 year old girl named Casper on a turbulent ride where nothing is what it seems. She learns to be doubtful of everything and everyone as she takes a trip into first love and a new place to live. She is drawn into a strange world where someone wants to take over her life while another faction is trying to kill her. Kat Clayton takes you through the world of the upper crust of a society where wealth is used to buy a way into the inner circle where all your wants can come true, b ...more
May
Aug 13, 2013 May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, when I read that the author loves Mary Higgins Clark books, and this book was a mystery, I was like I will totally read this book! Even though the book might be a little bit predictable, the suspense was still there. The Kythera Society was kind of scary to me. All that power, and nobody can stop them, or so they think... I hope that such societies don't exist in real life! Scary! :(
Tuyen (Books freak:P)
Oct 15, 2012 Tuyen (Books freak:P) rated it really liked it
Thank you to the author for a copy!:D
Review coming after i finish the book!
Rachelb O_o
Rachelb O_o rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2013
Ashely McLaughlin
Ashely McLaughlin rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2014
Billie Jo
Billie Jo rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Ask Kat H. Clayton: Q & A 1 4 Jan 17, 2013 07:19AM
  • The Keeper (Mist, #1)
  • Normalish
  • Eliza's Shadow
  • Surrender (The Ferryman and the Flame, #1)
  • Disconnect (Divided Worlds, #1)
  • Suddenly You (The Jane Austen Academy Series, #4)
  • First Light (Project Five Fifteen #1)
  • The Silken Edge (Silken Edge, #1)
  • Suburban Legends: True Tales of Murder, Mayhem, and Minivans
  • The Adventure Tournament (The Adventurers, #1)
  • Justice (Deck of Lies, #1)
  • Cult of Beauty: The Secret Life of a Supermodel
  • Puck Bunny
  • Hearts Unfold (Miracle at Valley Rise, #1)
  • Manhunt
  • Persistence of Vision
  • The Key of Amatahns (Argetallam Saga, #1)
  • Lucretia and the Kroons

The Kings of Charleston (2 books)
  • All the King's Men (The Kings of Charleston #2)