The Girl Who Remembered Horses

The Girl Who Remembered Horses

4.67 of 5 stars 4.67  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  26 reviews
In a world that has forgotten the ancient bond between horses and humans, can one girl's dreams make people remember?

Sahara travels with her clan in a future, barren environment where recyclables are bartered for sustenance, and few remember horses or their connection to humans. But Sahara has recurring visions of riding astride on magnificent animals that run like the win...more
Paperback, Limited Edition - Promotional Print Version, 236 pages
Published July 15th 2012 (first published November 2nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Remembered Horses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Who Remembered Horses

Valerie Ormond
Young Sahara lives at a time in the future when most of what we know as Earth has been destroyed. Her clan dismisses her dreams about horses as folly, but she can't help but follow her innate feelings about these mysterious creatures. Sahara feels compelled to save horses and show her people that horses serve a purpose among mankind.

I enjoyed Sahara's determination and also her moments of self-doubt. Benson creates wonderful characters such as the loving grandfather, the not-quite-boyfriend Eva...more
Maggie Dana
Feb 08, 2012 Maggie Dana rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, especially horse lovers
In a recent Twitter chat group, the subject of 'tween' fiction came up ... books that bridge the gap between middle-grade and YA (young adult), much of which seems a little too dark and edgy for most 12- and 13-year-olds, to say nothing of their parents. One of the online participants--a literary agent--gave an electronic sigh, then said that the problem boiled down to shelving, that there wasn't actually a 'tween' fiction section in bookstores which made it kind of hard for booksellers to know...more
Dusty Crabtree
Linda Benson is definitely a talented writer. The way she crafts words together draws the reader in, creating an intriguing atmosphere the lulls the reader soothingly into the post-apocolyptic world she’s created. A simpler world than the one we live in now. A world of barren wilderness and tribal-like customs where the main character, a young girl named Sahara, uses her unique bond with animals to prove to everyone they were wrong about horses.

In all honesty, I’m kind of surprised I loved the b...more
Robert Kent
First Paragraph: Sahara awoke to a pounding inside her head. Thundering. Loud. Was it rain against the tent? Rain would bring relief from the dust and the smothering heat. She blinked, rubbing sleep from her eyes. She heard nothing. The sound must have been from the dream, the dream she had again and again.

Meet Sahara. She's the girl who remembered horses. See how Benson effortlessly introduces us to her on page 2:

Sahara hated being treated like a baby. She was almost thirteen.
"I'm here, sister....more
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Sahara kept having dreams of horses. She dreams of riding them and how horses and human work together. She is told to forget about such silliness. Sahara lives in the future, past the Dark Days, and no one has ever ridden a horse. Horses are hunted and used as food. Sahara lives in the Trader’s Clan, people who find goods and trade them with other clans. When visiting the Gardener’s Camp, the Keeper of the Books gives Sahara an ancient book that has pictures of people riding horses. Sahara now k...more
Margaret Lesh
This is a sweet, lovely book. It takes place in a post-apocalyptic world, yet it doesn’t have the feel of a dark or depressing dystopian world. It feels realistic in that the people live nomadic hunter/gatherer lifestyles, much like our ancestors did. The main character, 13-year-old Sahara, is a sweet, thoughtful young girl who has recurring dreams of strange beautiful animals.

What could be a better pairing than young girls and horses? They seem to belong together. I have many memories of sitti...more
Tanya
A tween book. Easy to read, sweet and simple. About coming of age, survival, the meaning of family, friendship, tribe, and of course, horses - but also goats and dogs! Though set one to three hundred years in the future, it feels like it is set 3000 years ago.
Kellee
Reviewed at: http://www.teachmentortexts.com/2012/...

A few weeks ago, I was asked on twitter if all post-apocalyptic books are considered sci-fi. I automatically answered yes, because if a book is in the future after a disaster of some sorts, it is sci-fi. It isn't until I read this book that I understand this question. The Girl Who Remembered Horses takes place after an epidemic that devastated the world. Humans now live in clans that travel, trade and scavenge. Sahara lives alone with...more
Natalie
The Girl Who Remembered Horses centers around a twelve-year-old girl, raised by her older sister and grandfather, who belongs to a clan of traders. Wandering an arid region and served by dogs, not horses, the members of the trading clan seek out the buried treasure of the industrialized past. Herds of wild horses sometimes go wheeling by on the plains, but they'd no more try to tame a horse than a gazelle.

But the girl, Sahara, has the horse bug. She dreams of horses, feels their coat beneath her...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://longandshortreviews.blogspot.c...

Sahara has dreams about animals she’s never seen before. They are magnificent looking, can run like the wind, and she envisions herself riding them. But if she tells anyone about the dreams, they will think she’s crazy.

Ms. Benson picks an intriguing premise for her story line. She places the story in the future, after all cities have been destroyed by a killing flu that crossed the land, and the only survivors behave a lot like the Am...more
Sandra Alonzo
THE GIRL WHO REMEMBERED HORSES by Linda Benson, is a memorable e-book read. It qualifies as a midgrade/YA that adults will enjoy as well. The main character, Sahara, is a spunky, determined girl of thirteen. Set in the future, during a time and in a place where people wander as nomads, Sahara dreams of horses from long ago, and riding them like the wind. Even though such a creature would be useful for her clan, no one believes the girl's dreams are real. Horses are believed to be 'wild' and untr...more
Lois Szymanski
I don't usually like dystopian fiction, but this story by Linda Benson is beautifully written. It draws the reader into Sahara's journey, her dreams and her reality. The story takes place in the post-apolcalyptic world, one where Sahara and her sister travel from place to place with their clan. Sahara dreams of horses, a creature many believe does not exist. Even when her dream animal is proven to exist they are only a source of meat. The clan laughs at her intention to train them.

Sahara's first...more
Cheap and Lazy
Uplifting Post-Apocolpytic Horse Story, Really! I'd given up on the futuristic tales of this nature, even YAs, because it seems they are just too grim for me. The Girl Who Remembered Horses has restored my faith. Not that it paints a pretty picture of the future, it just doesn't dwell on the negative. Instead, it focuses on the dreams and choices of an almost-teenager. The setting is vivid, and all of the characters are drawn to the perfect degree, depending on their part in the story. The autho...more
Arley Cole
The Girl Who Remembered Horses is a post-Apocalyptic middle grade novel but without the darkness and misery that seems to come with so many books these days. Sahara's world is harsh and demanding in many ways, but there is a hope present even in the midst of uncertaintly that makes this book a very uplifting, yet realistic read. Benson clearly loves and knows horses (and goats and dogs!) and that love comes through as Sahara discovers horses for herself. Benson presents life on the edge as Sahar...more
Hilary
THE GIRL WHO REMEMBERED HORSES is a grand adventure taking place in a post apocalyptic world. From beginning to end I was completely immersed in the main character, Sahara's futuristic civilization. A well-written gem, it's a gripping tale featuring horses, dreams, danger, obstacles, resilience and hope. Escape into Sahara's world, you won't be disappointed. Highly recommended for middle grade/young adult/adults.
Jennifer Walker
Linda Benson has ventured into what may well be completely unknown territory: a post-apocalyptic horse story. The story line is unique, the imagery powerful, and the characters ring true. There is even a subtle statement here about horse slaughter, a very touchy subject that Benson handled well. I thoroughly enjoyed the escape into Sahara's world and hope Benson writes a sequel to The Girl Who Remembered Horses.
Sharon Ledwith
A fantastical, timely story for readers of all ages. Linda Benson's thought provoking novel makes you look at nature and the choices people make in a different light. I wanted more. Much more. Bravo, Benson!
Kristine
Wonderful story about a girl who dreams of horses although she's never seen one. Loved the setting in the future. Highly recommend to any animal lovers. Looking forward to a sequel.
Jackie Anton
Title: The Girl Who Remembered Horses
Author: Linda Benson
Copyright: 2011
Publisher: Musa Publishing
ISBN: 978-1-61937

As a child of the 1950s I have grown up with prophecies of doom and gloom. What would end our world as we know it? Today, the big concern isn’t an all out war between super powers, but terrorists with WMDs, global warming, increasing super storms, and seismic disturbances. What would a post-apocalyptic world look like?
Author Linda Benson has delved into such a world in her beautif...more
Leah
My first Goodreads giveaway win! :)

A "simpler" style of writing than what I'm used to reading, but a very pleasant surprise. This was a relaxing quick read for me; easy to pick up and get into the story right away whenever I had some free time. I would say this is a must-read for horselovers, and I certainly wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone else. Linda did a very good job incorporating horses into a well-portrayed and realistic futuristic setting. Overall I found this book to be quite...more
J 'gywenivere'
Sep 12, 2012 J 'gywenivere' marked it as to-read
Shelves: a-wish-list-book
I absolutely LOVE horses. This book sound amazing! I hope ther is a chance I can win a copy. With all the problems economically, I think everyone should be given a horse to ride, kind of like the pioneer times. Save on gas emissions (except when the horse...you know), plus their (you know) can be used as fertile for farms, and gardens. I have always dreamed of owning my own horse, except my horse will have wings as well.
Christine Meunier
A great idea for a novel and entertaining read. Believable. More at http://equus-blog.com/the-girl-who-re...
Reeses
Review to come.
Erin
In process...
Paulina
Paulina marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Lauren C.
Lauren C. marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Dennies
Dennies marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Asia
Asia marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
  • The Coffee Shop
  • The Outside of a Horse
  • No Small Thing
  • Hammer Down (Children of the Undying, #1)
  • Horseplay
  • Blaze of Glory (Blaze of Glory, #1)
  • Riding Invisible
  • The Last Free Cat
  • Dark Horse (Dark Horse #1)
  • Dream of Night
  • Dreamwalker
  • The Hearts of Horses
  • Horses Never Lie: The Heart of Passive Leadership
  • Sebastian's Poet
Linda Benson is the author of THE GIRL WHO REMEMBERED HORSES, SIX DEGREES OF LOST, WALKING THE DOG, FINDING CHANCE and THE HORSE JAR (which has been translated into Spanish.)

She is also the author of a series of short fiction called CAT TALES, including THE WINTER KITTEN, THE SPRINGTIME CAT, and THE SUMMER CAT.

Her passion for nature and animals often finds its way into her writing. She has been a...more
More about Linda Benson...
Six Degrees of Lost Walking the Dog The Horse Jar Finding Chance The Winter Kitten