How to Get Away With Murder in America

How to Get Away With Murder in America

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Investigative reporting on a CIA officer from Miami who may have had ties to a cocaine trafficker while rising to the top of the agency's counter-terrorist division during 9/11.
ebook
Published June 24th 2012 by Byliner, Inc.

Paul
Evan Wright automatically gets the benefit of the doubt from me because of his excellent GENERATION KILL. That being said, I was a bit disappointed with this book, even though it touches on an extraordinary change in the Executive Office mindset regarding government-sanctioned assassinations. I had a hard time keeping all the names straight as to who did what, which may out me more as a lazy reader than Wright being an overly-technical writer. Unfortunately, I was never drawn into the mind of th...more
Patrick
a short nonfiction about Enrique Prado, a player in the 1970-80's Miami cocaine based criminal underworld who eventually joins the CIA and becomes a major part of its counter-terrorism squad. The narrative starts in Miami following Prado, and his boss Alberto San Pedro, as they build their criminal empire in the late 70's and early 80's. The allegations in the book are pretty amazing, basically San Pedro used his ill-gotten money to buy his way into the highest of Miami social circles, and buy h...more
Byron
Author Evan Wright was working on a book with one of the main guys from Cocaine Cowboys, who hipped him to this other guy, who worked as muscle for the top Cuban mob boss down in Miami. He killed at least one guy that we know of, and who knows, he may have killed a shedload of people. Of course he went on to a very successful and lucrative career with the US military, the CIA, and the private military Bush Mengele and now Obama uses to illegally torture people. How come he wasn't thrown in priso...more
George Gutowski
CIA, drugs, crime, Fidel Castro. Evan Wright attempts to connect the dots from raw street crime to high echelons of the CIA, Blackwater security ops and Mitt Romney security advisor team. CIA of course refuses to co-operate. Reality is there is probably more of this stuff going on than we know about. Of course we don't know about it the CIA keeps secrets.

CIA choose counter-terrorism and national security over solving street crime. Dirty dirty dirty. But what did you expect?
Steve Howes
This book is somewhat hard to follow given all the people and twists and turns involved. However it is very disturbing. It makes one wonder how an enforcer for a Florida drug lord can make it top the top levels of the CIA and be in charge of some of our governments most clandestine operations. There are some well-known government officials and public figures mentioned in this book. You will be surprised at some of the nefarious activities your government is involved in.
Rick
Sep 30, 2012 Rick rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
There are a lot of bad people doing a lot of bad things in Miami. In the government. In the middle east. In central america. In the Caribbean. And, depressingly, they all seem to be intertwined. Man. This made me feel grimey. Crazy story, though. Worth a read. Basically a murderous thug associated with drug cartels in Miami somehow ended up high up in the bush administration CIA. Seriously. It's totally depressing.
Michael
Jul 28, 2012 Michael rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
"Prado is the devil who got inside."

The real-life story about how a low-rent thug ended up in the CIA. Wright spins Prado's life into an astonishing read, even though it makes you want to vomit, for all kinds of reasons. Hey, guess what? Prado is still free. Awesome.

It's short, but it's also the best $3 read I've bought this year.

SA
Nov 11, 2012 SA rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Dear Evan,

Please don't get a contract hit put on you, even in the pursuit of tightly plotted, horrifyingly fascinating journalism. I have no idea how you meet these people and get them to tell you their secrets, but please keep it from resulting in your untimely death.

Constantly hoping for your continued aliveness,
A Fan
Peter Knox
I really didn't like this book and thought that I would (which makes for 2 stars at best). It was slow, overly detailed, boring, and could never make me care for the characters, the plot, or the resolution of the case covered. But the writing was straight reportage, no flair, and comprehensive. It just didn't affect me as a reader.
Priscilla
What a shocking story of a corrupt, drug infested Miami in the 70's. A Cuban gangster, and his alleged hit-man, who wound up working in the CIA, then moved to Blackwater. Wright brilliantly has backtracked, and has produced a hard-hitting story with compelling evidence. Hard-hitting and impossible to put down once you start.
Kurt
I love this type of stuff. Evan Wright does a fine job laying out the mystery of the CIA big-shot who also happens to be a South Florida drug-gang enforcer with some heavy indictments to his name. Short and sweet, this offering from Byliners is a fast, cheap thrill.
Harry Rubenstein
A mindblowing and outstanding piece of long form journalism. The story is so cinematic and so unbelievable that even after I finished and digested what I had just read, I still couldn't believe it. Frankly I'm surprised that this story didn't get more attention.
Jim Crocker
Another eye-opener by a fantastic author. Evan Wright lifts all the veils on this one. He says it's all true and I believe him. So there! His earlier book about the Iraq invasion -- and he was there -- is another jaw dropper.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Boogie Man.
Angie
Solidly researched and well-written piece. Connecting the dots and "behind the scenes" cases of Enrique Prado and Albert San Pedro, demonstrating how truly jacked up our government is when it thinks no one is looking. Kindle single, well worth the $1.99.
david
Very interesting book/article. Unfortunately stories like this don't actually seem that incredible.
It is well researched and the author does point out testimony that seems suspect even when it supports his arguement.
A good use of the Kindle Single format
Rich
The first book I have read on my completely on my phone, should tell you something. More worrisome than the individual in this book to me is the way our government seems to treat assassination so lightly. It rarely seems to go the way we expect.
Greg Otto
One of the best pieces of journalism I've ever read. Astounding story of deception, murder, and corruption, made all the more frightening by the fact that's it's real. An absolute must-read.
Darren Dixon
A great book , a nice companion piece to American Desperado.. Review is not too deep but I would recommend this book to any true crime fan.
Patricia Bryant
An eye opening account of America's covert wars at home and abroad, and the government's ambivalence regarding the agents & methods involved.
Michael Flanagan
A great piece of investigative writing. Evan Wright delivers us with yet another thought provoking and jaw dropping read.
Matthew Blake
Very eye-opening. It's horrific that a criminal ended up so high in the CIA, and that they're still protecting him to this day.
Josh
We are just civilians. these people operate on a whole different level.
Chris
The story itself is great. But the writing could be much improved.
Manny Tzavlakis
Fantastic, quick read about the drug trade in South Florida.
Paul Amberg
Interesting and shows how America can be easily corrupted.
keri.
nightmare fuel etc etc, but I'm super glad I read it.
Mitch
Unnerving as it was good
Nenia Campbell
Nenia Campbell marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Nilchance
Nilchance marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
  • Diary of a Player: How My Musical Heroes Made a Guitar Man Out of Me
  • Cruelest Month
  • Feet on the Street: Rambles Around New Orleans
  • Caught Inside: A Surfer's Year on the California Coast
  • Twelve Unlikely Heroes: How God Commissioned Unexpected People in the Bible and What He Wants to Do with You
  • Lyric River
  • Age of Fracture
  • A Russian Journal
  • The Sheikh's Bargain Bride
That "author's photo" of me is an illustration done by my friend Hawk Krall, an awesome artist from Philly.

I had an odd path to writing which I describe in the first chapter of Hella Nation.

For the most part, my biography is contained in the books and articles I publish.
More about Evan Wright...
Generation Kill Hella Nation: Looking for Happy Meals in Kandahar, Rocking the Side Pipe,Wingnut's War Against the GAP, and Other Adventures with the Totally Lost Tribes of America American Desperado: My Life--From Mafia Soldier to Cocaine Cowboy to Secret Government Asset Spring Broke Hero Living: Seven Strides to Awaken Your Infinite Power