Start by marking “How to Get Away With Murder in America” as Want to Read:
How to Get Away With Murder in America

How to Get Away With Murder in America

Investigative reporting on a CIA officer from Miami who may have had ties to a cocaine trafficker while rising to the top of the agency's counter-terrorist division during 9/11.
ebook
Published June 24th 2012 by Byliner, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about How to Get Away With Murder in America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Get Away With Murder in America

Paul
Aug 30, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it
Evan Wright automatically gets the benefit of the doubt from me because of his excellent GENERATION KILL. That being said, I was a bit disappointed with this book, even though it touches on an extraordinary change in the Executive Office mindset regarding government-sanctioned assassinations. I had a hard time keeping all the names straight as to who did what, which may out me more as a lazy reader than Wright being an overly-technical writer. Unfortunately, I was never drawn into the mind of th ...more
Steven Howes
Dec 29, 2012 Steven Howes rated it liked it
This book is somewhat hard to follow given all the people and twists and turns involved. However it is very disturbing. It makes one wonder how an enforcer for a Florida drug lord can make it top the top levels of the CIA and be in charge of some of our governments most clandestine operations. There are some well-known government officials and public figures mentioned in this book. You will be surprised at some of the nefarious activities your government is involved in.
Patrick
Aug 26, 2012 Patrick rated it liked it
a short nonfiction about Enrique Prado, a player in the 1970-80's Miami cocaine based criminal underworld who eventually joins the CIA and becomes a major part of its counter-terrorism squad. The narrative starts in Miami following Prado, and his boss Alberto San Pedro, as they build their criminal empire in the late 70's and early 80's. The allegations in the book are pretty amazing, basically San Pedro used his ill-gotten money to buy his way into the highest of Miami social circles, and buy h ...more
Byron
Nov 20, 2012 Byron rated it it was amazing
Author Evan Wright was working on a book with one of the main guys from Cocaine Cowboys, who hipped him to this other guy, who worked as muscle for the top Cuban mob boss down in Miami. He killed at least one guy that we know of, and who knows, he may have killed a shedload of people. Of course he went on to a very successful and lucrative career with the US military, the CIA, and the private military Bush Mengele and now Obama uses to illegally torture people. How come he wasn't thrown in priso ...more
Rick
Sep 30, 2012 Rick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
There are a lot of bad people doing a lot of bad things in Miami. In the government. In the middle east. In central america. In the Caribbean. And, depressingly, they all seem to be intertwined. Man. This made me feel grimey. Crazy story, though. Worth a read. Basically a murderous thug associated with drug cartels in Miami somehow ended up high up in the bush administration CIA. Seriously. It's totally depressing.
George Gutowski
Aug 19, 2012 George Gutowski rated it really liked it
CIA, drugs, crime, Fidel Castro. Evan Wright attempts to connect the dots from raw street crime to high echelons of the CIA, Blackwater security ops and Mitt Romney security advisor team. CIA of course refuses to co-operate. Reality is there is probably more of this stuff going on than we know about. Of course we don't know about it the CIA keeps secrets.

CIA choose counter-terrorism and national security over solving street crime. Dirty dirty dirty. But what did you expect?
Priscilla
Jun 30, 2012 Priscilla rated it it was amazing
What a shocking story of a corrupt, drug infested Miami in the 70's. A Cuban gangster, and his alleged hit-man, who wound up working in the CIA, then moved to Blackwater. Wright brilliantly has backtracked, and has produced a hard-hitting story with compelling evidence. Hard-hitting and impossible to put down once you start.
Michael
Jul 28, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
 "Prado is the devil who got inside."

The real-life story about how a low-rent thug ended up in the CIA. Wright spins Prado's life into an astonishing read, even though it makes you want to vomit, for all kinds of reasons. Hey, guess what? Prado is still free. Awesome.

It's short, but it's also the best $3 read I've bought this year.

SA
Jul 06, 2012 SA rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Dear Evan,

Please don't get a contract hit put on you, even in the pursuit of tightly plotted, horrifyingly fascinating journalism. I have no idea how you meet these people and get them to tell you their secrets, but please keep it from resulting in your untimely death.

Constantly hoping for your continued aliveness,
A Fan
Peter Knox
Sep 19, 2012 Peter Knox rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, non-fiction
I really didn't like this book and thought that I would (which makes for 2 stars at best). It was slow, overly detailed, boring, and could never make me care for the characters, the plot, or the resolution of the case covered. But the writing was straight reportage, no flair, and comprehensive. It just didn't affect me as a reader.
Kurt
Aug 03, 2012 Kurt rated it it was amazing
I love this type of stuff. Evan Wright does a fine job laying out the mystery of the CIA big-shot who also happens to be a South Florida drug-gang enforcer with some heavy indictments to his name. Short and sweet, this offering from Byliners is a fast, cheap thrill.
Harry Rubenstein
Jul 22, 2012 Harry Rubenstein rated it it was amazing
A mindblowing and outstanding piece of long form journalism. The story is so cinematic and so unbelievable that even after I finished and digested what I had just read, I still couldn't believe it. Frankly I'm surprised that this story didn't get more attention.
Angie
Dec 26, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
Solidly researched and well-written piece. Connecting the dots and "behind the scenes" cases of Enrique Prado and Albert San Pedro, demonstrating how truly jacked up our government is when it thinks no one is looking. Kindle single, well worth the $1.99.
Jim Crocker
Jul 19, 2012 Jim Crocker rated it it was amazing
Another eye-opener by a fantastic author. Evan Wright lifts all the veils on this one. He says it's all true and I believe him. So there! His earlier book about the Iraq invasion -- and he was there -- is another jaw dropper.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Boogie Man.
Rich
Jul 24, 2012 Rich rated it it was amazing
The first book I have read on my completely on my phone, should tell you something. More worrisome than the individual in this book to me is the way our government seems to treat assassination so lightly. It rarely seems to go the way we expect.
david
Aug 26, 2012 david rated it really liked it
Very interesting book/article. Unfortunately stories like this don't actually seem that incredible.
It is well researched and the author does point out testimony that seems suspect even when it supports his arguement.
A good use of the Kindle Single format
Greg Otto
Oct 28, 2012 Greg Otto rated it really liked it
One of the best pieces of journalism I've ever read. Astounding story of deception, murder, and corruption, made all the more frightening by the fact that's it's real. An absolute must-read.
Michael Flanagan
Jun 28, 2012 Michael Flanagan rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
A great piece of investigative writing. Evan Wright delivers us with yet another thought provoking and jaw dropping read.
Leah
Mar 15, 2015 Leah rated it did not like it
I didn't finish it. I couldn't he into it. I'll probably try again another time since I ended up buying it.
Matthew Blake
Aug 16, 2013 Matthew Blake rated it it was amazing
Very eye-opening. It's horrific that a criminal ended up so high in the CIA, and that they're still protecting him to this day.
Patricia Bryant
Nov 13, 2012 Patricia Bryant rated it really liked it
An eye opening account of America's covert wars at home and abroad, and the government's ambivalence regarding the agents & methods involved.
Darren Dixon
Sep 05, 2012 Darren Dixon rated it really liked it
A great book , a nice companion piece to American Desperado.. Review is not too deep but I would recommend this book to any true crime fan.
Lux
Lux rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2015
Cody Mathes
Cody Mathes rated it really liked it
May 17, 2015
Robert Wright
Robert Wright rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2015
james brady
james brady rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2014
Phil
Phil rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2012
Mark E. Smith
Mark E. Smith rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2012
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2014
Lance
Lance rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Trials of White Boy Rick (Kindle Single)
  • Aftershock: The Blast That Shook Psycho Platoon (Kindle Single)
  • Showdown: The Inside Story of How Obama Fought Back Against Boehner, Cantor, and the Tea Party
  • Coronado High
  • Things They Cannot Say
  • Asexuality: A Brief Introduction
  • A Fist in the Hornet's Nest: On the Ground in Baghdad Before, During & After the War
  • Bearded Lady
  • My War: Killing Time in Iraq
  • Promises to Keep: On Life and Politics
  • Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz: Three Adventures
  • Fire and Forget: Short Stories from the Long War
  • Devil Sent the Rain: Music and Writing in Desperate America
  • We're Right, They're Wrong: A Handbook for Spirited Progressives
  • The Nixon Defense: What He Knew and When He Knew It
  • What Will It Take to Make A Woman President?: Conversations About Women, Leadership and Power
  • Goa Freaks: My Hippie Years in India
  • Hexcraft: Dutch Country Magick
That "author's photo" of me is an illustration done by my friend Hawk Krall, an awesome artist from Philly.

I had an odd path to writing which I describe in the first chapter of Hella Nation.

For the most part, my biography is contained in the books and articles I publish.
More about Evan Wright...