Who Shrank My Grandmother's House?: Poems of Discovery

Who Shrank My Grandmother's House?: Poems of Discovery

2.88 of 5 stars 2.88  ·  rating details  ·  8 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Houses shrink, garden hoses form rainbows, apples hide stars--each of the poems in this magical collection examines an ordinary observation that may yield a most unexpected discovery, glowing with the simple yet extraordinary perceptions of childhood. Contains 23 radiantly illustrated poems.
Hardcover
Published March 1st 1992 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Who Shrank My Grandmother's House?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Shrank My Grandmother's House?

Rachel Stolzman
Apr 23, 2014 Rachel Stolzman added it
Shelves: poetry
Who Shrank My Grandmother's House? by Barbara Juster Ebensen, was a collection of poems. I enjoyed the book, but I would've enjoyed the poems a little more if there was more rhyming. I know that there doesn't have to be rhyming for it to be a poem, but when I think about poems I typically think about rhymes. I did like who the poems were about ordinary things like pencils and doors, because the author made the topic deeper than just the object. For example: "there is a long story living in the s...more
Samantha Sheeran
Who shrank My Grandmother's House? by Barbara Esbensen is a collection of short poems. The poems are mostly about random things such as: pencils, doors, and sand dollars. However, some of the poems are about deeper topics such as: friends and a Grandfather.

Although the poems in this book were good, I really did not enjoy it that much. Maybe it's because I'm a kid at heart, but the reason that I didn't enjoy it was because none of the poems rhymed. I also don't believe that children would like t...more
Heather
Topic: Poetry
Theme: discoveries, growing up
My thoughts: This book a poetry makes you think. It is not written in rhyming verse , but does tell a story that is enjoyable to the reader.

Activity: Use this book as an example to students that not all poems have to rhyme to tell a story.
Rachel
This is an interesting poetry book that is about discovering new ways of looking at the world around you.

I read "Pencils." I really liked this poem because it described how much life and imagination is contained in one simple pencil. My favorite line is "there is a long story living in the shortest pencil" (how true that is!)
Dana
Jun 07, 2008 Dana rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poems
I like these poems a lot. My favorite poem is called doors, I also like the pencils and time. I really also like the pictures and the authors creativity with that.
Katrina
Read: Sand Dollar by Barbara Esbensen

Thinking a sand dollar is real money and looking for change
Edisbro11
Edisbro11 marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Buzzrd
Buzzrd added it
Mar 29, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
Nancy
Nancy added it
Feb 12, 2013
Kellylou
Kellylou marked it as to-read
Lynne
Lynne marked it as to-read
Malissa
Malissa marked it as to-read
Renee
Renee added it
Oct 08, 2011
Baby Whales Drink Milk The Star Maiden: An Ojibway Tale Swing Around the Sun Dance with Me Sponges Are Skeletons