The Little Nugget

The Little Nugget

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  414 ratings  ·  40 reviews
It is my belief that, if assistant-masters were allowed to wear white masks and carry automatic pistols, keeping order in a school would become child's play. A silence such as no threat of bad marks had ever been able to produce fell instantaneously upon the classroom. Out of the corner of my eye, as I turned to face our visitor, I could see small boys goggling rapturously...more
Audio Cassette, Blackstone Audiobooks
Published 1913

To ask other readers questions about The Little Nugget, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Nugget

Libbeth
I will use this "review" for all the P. G. Wodehouse I have read. I read them all so long ago and enjoyed them so much that I have given them all 5 stars. As I re-read them I will adjust the stars accordingly, if necessary, and add a proper review.
When I first discovered P. G. Wodehouse I devoured every book I could find in the local library, throughout the eighties and early nineties. Alas, this means that I have read most of them and stumbling across one I have not read is a rare thing. I'm su...more
Azmylle H
What a surprise! I got this book in Boxing Day with 75% off, so I thought it might not be that good since it was on sale. And I was very happy that I was wrong! This book is so much fun to read! Very different from other classics I've encountered before. The synopsis at the back of the book says something about kidnapping the child of American millionaire and it was presented with humour. What?? And it was correct!
The theme was indeed about kidnapping a rich kid, but it was funny and witty in t...more
Karen
The least funny of all the Wodehouse books I've read, and though the plot is tighter than some, there just wasn't enough to keep me invested in the ending. But if you haven't read anything by Wodehouse you should--and it should be Hot Water, not The Little Nugget.
Lori
Two thumbs up for this comedy of errors in which Peter Burns, "a wealthy man of leisure," upon his fiancé's request, pretends to open up his own school and assumes the position of assistant master at a boarding school in hopes to kidnap Ogden (featured in Picadilly Jim) and return him back to his mother.

Ogden, an obnoxious, crude, self-centered 14 year old, is a hateful creature but his divorced parents both love him; and they both feel they are better able to take care of and protect their son...more
Ian Wood
Oct 17, 2007 Ian Wood rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wodehouse completists
Shelves: p-g-wodehouse
‘The Little Nugget’ see’s Wodehouse’s writing at a cross roads. Still not willing to abandon his school setting, the bulk of the action takes part at Sanstead House; The romance Wodehouse was developing in ‘Love Among the Chickens’ is provided by Peter Burns and Audrey Blake who are re-united some years after there estrangement on different sides of the race to take ownership of ‘The Little Nugget’ one Ogden Ford.

Ogden Ford carries on the Wodehouse tradition of comic characters as a sort of rev...more
booklady
Frederick Davidson renders another superb performance in this early tale by P.G. Wodehouse of an obnoxious, rich, American youth. Not a very flattering portrayal, as are many Wodehousian youngsters, on both sides of the Atlantic, but then the author knows where to lay the blame—squarely at the feet of the parents who spoil them.

In the case of Ogden Ford, AKA “the Little Nugget” – a term indicating his value to kidnappers – his unappealing presence doesn’t figure prominently in most of the narrat...more
Gene
The Little Nugget is an enjoyable Wodehouse tale that is more serious than his absurdly humorous Jeeves stories. Wodehouse is a master of creating and exploring characters, and he did not fail on that account in this tale.

The Little Nugget is a spoiled 14 year old boy, Ogden Ford, who is heir to a large fortune. The nickname is an ironic contrast between the boy's financial worth and his general lack of worth as a person. His father and mother have divorced, and the boy is caught in a tug of war...more
Scot
Partially set in a Brtitish boarding school, as were many early Wodehouse novels, this one also prominently features the entertaining character of Ogden, the lazy, selfish, overweight, spoiled millionaire brat who has developed self-indulgence and self-assuredness to such a degree that one goes round the bend from hating him to admiring him for his modeling of the archetype. There are also the usual star crossed lovers, self-serving foils,and competing gangs of international kidnappers. Although...more
Sabine
The story was, of course, well-written and the main character was great.
It was just a bit too obvious, which I guess can be done on purpose.
Well, I don't know.
Jeff Miller
Typical Wodehouse, in other words hilarious.

Wodehouse's formula no matter how often he used it aways seems fresh in each novel. The setup between what keeps a man and women from getting married is always at the base of it (except the opposite in Jeeves) and this book does the same. Still the screwball plot, writing, and character dialogue is what makes it work each time. This one is only slightly different since I can't think of another Wodehouse book off hand with a gun battle in it.

I listened...more
Holly
P.G. Wodehouse is an amusing author. He has a way of adding lightheartedness even to a story about kidnapping. The Little Nugget was somewhat predictable. The thing I love most is the way the author refers to ordinary things in a funny, roundabout way. For example, "I have read of the spring of the jaguar, and I have seen some very creditable flying-tackles made on the football field. My leap combined the outstanding qualities of both." In addition to humor, I love that there are no offensive co...more
Douglas Wilson
The characteristic Wodehouse voice is here, but the plot is different than his usual. An early novel, this one has a lot of action and a bit of melodrama.
Cassandra

This is my second Wodehouse book and, surprisingly, I actually enjoyed the first book of short stories better! I didn't find this book as funny as the short stories. There were a few humorous thoughts on Americans and their habits but the dialog wasn't as witty.

The Little Nugget kept me guessing until the end. The plot moved along fairly well and the character perspectives were interesting. The ending felt rather rushed, though.

All in all, I still plan on reading more Wodehouse. I can't...more
Judy
I like Wodehouse -- one of my favorite authors -- comical and entertaining, and this book fits with that description. The Little Nugget, an unbelievably spoiled teenager, is the son of a wealthy and divorced man and woman. Everyone wants and tries to kidnap him. Our hero ends with the right woman; the boy himself, Ogden Ford, allows the kidnappers to take him. However, it's all a shambles until that time. In typical Wodehouse fashion, luck enters into many of the scenes. This one has a happy end...more
Lydia
"The Little Nugget" is as serious as Wodehouse will ever be, and there are plenty of laughs still to be found. When a well-to-do British man poses as a schoolteacher to infiltrate a boy's school in order to kidnap the spoiled son of an American millionaire, for the sake of his new fiancee, whom he is engaged to out of pity, and bumps into the former love of his life, and a succession of American gangsters bent on the same errand...well, it's quite an amusing read. Welcome to Chicago meets Englis...more
Elizabeth
This was my first foray into Wodehouse, and I found it a delightful comedy of errors: British understated humor, but reflecting a remarkable grasp of human nature and an ability to satirize it without the characters being either cliches or called in from Central Casting. The plot moved, the characters managed to get themselves into--and out of--one hilarious situation after another, and it was the perfect book for reading on the plane trip home from New Mexico.
Jenine
Plausible? No. Satisfying? Yes!
My two favorite quotes:
1. Dialogue between a freshly engaged couple, discussing semi-dastardly deeds:
"'Do you despise me?'
I perspired. I could think of no other reply."

2. Reflection upon the energy level of schoolboys and the need for outdoor time:
"There is no pleasanter sight for an assistant-master at a private school than that of a number of boys expending their venom harmlessly in the sunshine."
AmblingBooks
"Davidson nearly drawls as he moves from one situation to another, sharply distinguishing the male characters, from a pompous schoolmaster to the obnoxious nugget himself. His rendition of an American thug is particularly funny, Chicago and the Bronx combined. Great fun!" � AudioFile

Listen to The Little Nugget on your iPhone, desktop, or smartphone.
Nick
Take a horrible child, a cigarette-smoking, wise-ass thug, and make him the son of divorced parents who are wealthier than God, and add rival kidnapping rings and weave a love story around that, and you have The Little Nugget. Not Wodehouse's best, not his worst, just middling. Worth it if you're a fan; pick something else if you're only likely to read one or two by the Master.
Mark Nenadov
This is among Wodehouse's earlier stories, the 16th book he wrote. It's the book that a James Bond protagonist is reading in Ian Fleming's From Russia, with Love.

This is certainly among Wodehouse's more serious stories, pretty "sombre" as one other reviewer put it. I enjoyed it and it has some amusing light humor, but it's nowhere near a favorite.
Ailish
This book is quite different to the other books by Wodehouse I have read. The butlers and gangsters are familiar, but the female characters in particular are cynical and unappealing. It is an entertaining read, but if you haven't read Wodehouse before, don't begin with this one. I would suggest one the Bertie Wooster stories or Hot Water.
Karen
A very early Wodehouse; not as funny as the later stories, but still an enjoyable read, with some amusing characters and a good story. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone's first Wodehouse, but it's interesting to get a look at this early effort, before he hit on the formula that brought him so much success.
Christina
After puzzling over the title every time I scanned a list of Wodehouse books, I finally decided to read this book just to see what "the little nugget" could be. I ended up enjoying the narrator, who is older and more mature than most Wodehouse heroes, and seeing the epiphanies he reached during the story.
David Nadolny
I was very disappointed in this book. I have enjoyed dozens of PG Wodehouse novels and was looking forward to another, but the style of writing in this book almost makes me think he was sick when he wrote it or had a ghost writer or such. It just wasn't up to the usual Wodehouse snuff.
Shari
If I read Piccadilly Jim and there is not even a passing reference to how Peter Burns and Smooth Sam Fisher are now and forever BFFs, I'm quitting Wodehouse. QUITTING.

Okay, that's a lie. But I will be slightly put out. Character development sob sob flawless bromance cry cry.
Tawn Gorbutt
Early Wodehouse...maybe not as sure-footed as his later books, but fun all the same. Surprisingly tense and, by intent, less funny than Jeeves and Wooster. The hero and heroine are a bit more serious- minded...less foppish and absurd. Altogether a quick fun read.
Dzbtrout
Started 10 Jan 12. Finished 16th January 12. I wanted to read PG Wodehouse. Perhaps I did not pick the right book to start with. It took me a while to get into it but I am ready to start with the Jeeves series after this.
Bridget
I love this guy's dry, ironic humor. A very fun story involving a boy who's a kidnapping target and a spoiled rich man who wants to find something productive to do. It also has a satisfying romantic plot line.
Terry
You can't go wrong with a P. G. Wodehouse novel. There is his usual cast of Brits, including the butler. Of course, the Americans are presented as cliches. But, still fun to read.
Wodehouse at his funny, brilliant best. Hard to believe this was written 100 years ago. Teenagers are teenagers, defiantly smoking cigarettes and acting superior, in any era.
  • Huntingtower (Dickson McCunn, #1)
  • The Complete Stories of Evelyn Waugh
  • Mefisto
  • Behindlings (Thames Gateway, #2)
  • M/F
  • Girl, 20
  • Off On A Comet (Forgotten Books)
  • The Antiquary
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • The Benchley Roundup
  • After London: or, Wild England
  • Rudyard Kipling: Stories From India
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 30 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...
My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1) Carry on, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3) The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7) Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6) The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)