Start by marking “The Mind of a Thief” as Want to Read:
The Mind of a Thief

The Mind of a Thief

Exploring the history of the Wiradjuri people, the conflict of colonization, their mythologies, and their attachment to the land, author Patti Miller reveals both her own story and the position of Aboriginal people in today’s society in this fascinating memoir. For 40,000 years, the Central New South Wales area of Wellington was Aboriginal Wiradjuri land. Following the ...more
Published October 1st 2012 by U.Q.P. (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Mind of a Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mind of a Thief

Keiley
And on today’s episode of “Books Kit would never have read for good reason if English class hadn’t made her: the worst book yet.” In fact, if I’m being honest with myself, I think this might be the worst book I’ve ever read. And in case you haven’t taken a gander at my shelves, I’ve read some pretty shitty books. I’ve read Fifty Shades, Twilight, Matched, Fallen, The Selection and Something Special, the book that I still wonder “how could such a great author have written such a shit book?”, but ...more
Deborah Biancotti
Mar 31, 2013 Deborah Biancotti rated it really liked it
A gentle, clear-sighted memoir. I picked this up at the 2012 Sydney Writers' Festival. Then I put it down again, because it sounded too serious. Then I picked it up again, because who could resist the blurb: "How do you belong to a stolen land?"

Damn right.

Miller takes a look at the history of Wellington in central, inland NSW. The 'inland' thing matters, you get a sense of heat and space in this book. Or maybe sparsity.

In particular, Miller seeks to examine the Wiradjuri people who lived there
Caitlin Huynh
Dec 27, 2014 Caitlin Huynh rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Purely inspirational. Truly helped me in finding my fragmented identity and sense of belonging. LOLJOKES. Waste of my life.
Nimash Athukoralalage
Aug 14, 2014 Nimash Athukoralalage rated it it was ok
Shelves: school-books
I cannot believe they made us read this for school!
T. Stranger
VCE TEXT LIST -

Sometimes things... are just difficult to achieve. The hardest of them all is finding/discovering an excellent book that reflects Indigenous values in both an interesting and exciting way for students. It makes me sick to think that schools are still using 'Deadly Unna' as a text simply because it's the only fucking book out there that has - by the education board's and many schools' standards - a genuine representation of Indigenous culture relevant to highschoolers.

I call bulls
Melanie Williams
May 16, 2014 Melanie Williams rated it really liked it
An easy enjoyable memoir with some really sparkling writing at times. I began to care for all involved in the story. However, I only read this as it was part of my 18 year old nephew's reading list for VCE and I have to say I wouldn't have thought him Miller's target market for her story - a middle aged scholarly lady searching for her own identity and belonging amongst the land rights claim of other elderly and middle aged individuals. It's probably a lot for a teenage boy to care for much!
Jane
Sep 16, 2015 Jane rated it did not like it
Couldn't finish it. Seemed so contrived and almost as if it was written deliberately to sell to schools as a year 12 English 'identity and belonging' text. She claims to have had an upbringing alongside her indigenous friends but fails to name a single one. Self indulgent.
Diogenes
Jul 21, 2016 Diogenes rated it did not like it
I signed up to this website simply to tell you how badly written this book is, in both substance, form, in context and content. This shoddily written piece of work covers the life of a white-guilt ( a concept that isn't real) ridden, irritating redheaded Irish women who traces her Aboriginal lineage in a method akin to pulling fingernails out from skin. Miller projects her insecurities in such a way as to assist in the current degeneration and race-baiting prevalent in modern society, ...more
Jane
Jan 05, 2013 Jane rated it it was amazing
Patti Miller writes with clarity and power in this memoir. A great read. (Excellent choice for US readers who are interested in Australia.)
Carole Riley
Aug 19, 2013 Carole Riley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
I loved this book and I was inspired by it.
Gina
Jul 21, 2015 Gina rated it did not like it
WARNING THIS BOOK IS DISASTROUS

Patti Miller should never have been let near a computer. Honestly I don't think I've ever read such a horrible book. Patti seems to have lots of strong "memories" from her childhood, frankly I think they've been made up as most people don't remember much if anything from their childhood. When reading this book I thought possitively beileve that it would eventually get better. It did not. It got worse. This book is honestly a disaster, it getting published is a mir
Morgan Edwards
Jul 21, 2016 Morgan Edwards rated it did not like it
Really really bad... I had to read this for school and I couldn't believe this was even published. It was incredibly boring, uninteresting and I nearly threw it out the window. I don't understand how Patti Miller would think that anyone would be interested in the most uneventful story of her trying to find out her family history.

If you're looking at these reviews to see if you should read this crap... don't. It's like watching paint dry.

Jocelyn
Jul 15, 2016 Jocelyn rated it it was ok
Shelves: from-the-library
incoherent, dull, shapeless; with some interesting as-it-happened history of one of the first land rights claims and the background and personalities. Author teaches memoir writing, which she seems to assume the reader already knows, and seems to assume all memories are interesting without needing good writing or structure
Emma Balkin
Feb 23, 2016 Emma Balkin rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-books
This book was all over the place. It aimlessly drifted between the author's musings over her identity and the process of discovering the indigenous history of her home town. The structure was really hard to follow. A book from the library, an autobiography, a book about a culture you're unfamiliar with.
Mpapaz
Aug 13, 2013 Mpapaz rated it it was ok
I enjoyed parts of it but I am not a huge fan of the memoir genre. It rambled too much for my liking.
Brittany Wilton
Nov 10, 2015 Brittany Wilton rated it liked it
It's interesting book to read. It makes you think about how we belong to a land that was stolen, along with making me think about myself and how I view the world.
Tahlz023
Tahlz023 rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2015
JL
Sep 27, 2015 JL rated it did not like it
13%
Stellamaris
Stellamaris rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2012
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2014
Madeline
Madeline rated it it was ok
Mar 10, 2014
Hannah
Hannah rated it did not like it
Dec 16, 2015
Amu
Amu rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2014
Mara Jade
Mara Jade rated it did not like it
Nov 07, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Ebony Juanita
Ebony Juanita rated it did not like it
Jul 29, 2015
Chi Chi
Chi Chi rated it did not like it
Oct 29, 2014
LaToya Donnellan
LaToya Donnellan rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2016
Sophie
Sophie rated it did not like it
Apr 20, 2016
Spirit
Spirit rated it did not like it
Feb 04, 2015