Start by marking “The Lives She Left Behind” as Want to Read:
The Lives She Left Behind

The Lives She Left Behind

In a Somerset village, a teenage boy confronts a teacher with a story he should know nothing about. The boy's impossible knowledge uncovers memories Michael Martin has done his utmost to forget - and soon propels him into danger. As Martin confronts his past once more, three girls arrive in the village of Pen Selwood, one of them drawn by an ancient instinct to find a man ...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Quercus (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Lives She Left Behind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lives She Left Behind

A-bookworm
Nov 11, 2012 A-bookworm rated it it was amazing
This was EVERYTHING you would expect from the author of Ferney. Not going to give you even a slight spoiler, don't want to ruin it for you. If you liked Ferney, read it, you'll LOVE it.

If you haven't Read Ferney, get it and read it, you won't be sorry. This man can weave a spellbinding tale of the 1st caliber, it's nothing but pure enjoyment to delve into one of his books and discover yourself in Ferney's world.

I believe you could start with this book and would totally enjoy it, but there's no d
Magdalena
I bought Fearny a couple of years ago in Gothenburg and started to read the book on the train home. I loved the book and when I found out that a sequel was going to be released, well it made me very happy. The Lives She Left Behind continue the story about Gally and Fearny 16 years after the ending in Fearny and they are now teenagers and destined to seek out each other since neither one of them can live without the other, together they are whole.

The book was a bit slow to read, not as good as
Emma
Sep 19, 2012 Emma rated it liked it
I was not looking forward to reading the continuation of Ferney and Gally's story in The Lives She Left Behind. However, I was surprised to find that the sequel was far superior. The most redeeming feature for me was that Long Ferney and Gally realise the consequences of their desire for each other and their all consuming love. The plot for this book was driven more by the characters rather than the history of the village and not until the end does Long indulge in a couple of long historical ...more
Angela
Sep 06, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I loved this sequel to "Ferney". At first I was a little confused by the direction the story took as it didn't obviously seem to follow on from the first novel. However, by biding my time it all gradually became clear and was a fitting ending to the saga of Ferney and Gally. The story of these two old souls will stay with me for a long time which I feel is the sign of a good book.
Although it's not strictly necessary to read the first book, I do feel that it provides a good background to this seq
Jo Harrison
Nov 11, 2012 Jo Harrison rated it really liked it
I read Ferney a long time ago and really enjoyed it, in fact it's one of my favorite books. It took a while to get into this sequel but once I did Ferney came back to me which meant I could enjoy this just as much. As time has gone on my reading taste has changed so although I wouldn't say this is a new favorite I thoroughly enjoyed it and I was sorry to finish it.
Mandy Eve-Barnett
Dec 14, 2012 Mandy Eve-Barnett rated it it was amazing
The decades wait for this sequel to Ferney was well worth it. I loved re-visiting the characters and the old haunts. I was totally absorbed back to Ferney & Gally's lives.

I would recommend to anyone to read it either on its own or after reading Ferney.
Sammy
Aug 31, 2016 Sammy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star
Loved this as much as it's predecessor but would say it's slightly better due to a more satisfying ending :)
AnneMarie
Nov 10, 2016 AnneMarie rated it it was ok
Fairly disappointing sequel. It satisfied in that it answered some questions and the resolution itself to the lovers' story was quite touching and life-affirming. But the story itself felt weak, more like the plot of a TV movie than anything else. Even the characters of Ferney & Gally, who should have been easy to sympathise with given that I'd just finished re-reading the original, felt distant and cold while the other characters were completely flat. It just felt like the author was going ...more
CuteBadger
Nov 04, 2012 CuteBadger rated it it was ok
This is a review of both Ferney and its sequel The Lives She Left Behind.

While Mike and Gally Martin are looking for a country home they stumble across a ramshackle cottage to which Gally feels strangely drawn. The whole village seems familiar to her and Ferney, an old man who wanders the local countryside, seems particularly keen to get to know her. Gally feels a mounting connection to the cottage and to Ferney, who must wait patiently until she is ready to hear and accept the truth about their
June Seghni
Sep 21, 2012 June Seghni rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
I was lucky enough to get an early look at this sequel to 'Ferney' . I had mixed feelings about that earlier book but actually felt that this was better..
In‘Ferney’, we met two lovers with a very complicated history. They met when Ferney, an old man, watched as a young couple , Mike and Gally Martin, looked around a dilapidated cottage in the west country village of Penselwood. At least ,that’s how it appeared at first..
In the course of the story we learned that this was by no means Ferney and G
Gill Chedgey
Oct 10, 2012 Gill Chedgey rated it liked it
The Lives She Left Behind by James Long

Compared to Ferney this began as a novel, a work of fiction without the sense of a history textbook. I engaged right away and settled down to allow myself to become absorbed once more in this enthralling world of Ferney and Gally.

We were introduced to some new characters that seemed to be more three-dimensional than some of the people encountered in Ferney. The interaction between the three girls and the young male archaeologists made me think that there wo
Emily
Jun 21, 2014 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: england
It is difficult to summarise the plot of the sequel, set a few years later, without giving away what happens at the end of Long's "Ferney". I don’t want to do that as I think, of the two, Ferney is the one most worthy of reading. Let me just say, then, that the time-span, love-story premise continues in much the same vein, with the same general characters, in Long’s second and final novel in the series.

It is just as much about being physically and emotionally connected to the Somerset landscape.
Carolynj
Apr 22, 2014 Carolynj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read "Ferney" some years ago, and was left wanting the sequel. However, as another reviewer said, it needed the wait to get into real-time mode. The current time-scape was well done- in 20 years time it will still be a good read without too much transient out-of-date slang language, and technology was skilfully represented to take that into account. But that is what these books are about (apart from being good yarns with a good dollop of intense romance thrown in)is the detail of everyday ...more
Lexi
Apr 04, 2015 Lexi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book last Sunday, which means it only took me about a week to read it - unheard of for me! It is the sequel to Ferney, which I read a couple of months ago. When I found out there was a sequel, I bought it (although I think I had to go on Amazon.uk, as it was not easily available in the US).

I was expecting something dark and foreboding, like Ferney was, but this book had a different, lighter feeling to it. The protagonists were younger, so maybe that was it, or maybe it was becau
Sandra Danby
Aug 25, 2015 Sandra Danby rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
There was a novel about time-travelling love before ‘The Time Travellers Wife’. It is called ‘Ferney’, written by James Long, and to my mind is far superior. ‘The Lives She Left Behind’ is the sequel.
When I finished ‘Ferney’, I couldn’t imagine how the story could continue. After all, we’d worked out how the time travel worked and what the relationship implications and difficulties were. I feared that a sequel would be a let-down, some books are just meant to be stand-alone novels. I am pleased
Ellie Holmes
The Lives She Left Behind is the sequel to James Long's novel Ferney. I struggle to think of any sequel that is better than the original that inspired it, nor even one that lives up to it. That said, The Lives She Left Behind is a good read.

James Long has to deal with some awkward logistics to honour the integrity of the original story. This means, in particular, that Ferney and Gally are teenagers. Consequently the book becomes cluttered up with parents and school friends, necessary secondary
Jo Barton
Oct 20, 2012 Jo Barton rated it it was amazing
In The Lives She Left Behind, James Long has continued the story he began in Ferney and has brought up to date the story of star crossed lovers who transcend time. This sequel cleverly interweaves a modern day love story with the memory of past lives, whilst at the same time ties up the loose ends which were left hanging at the end of Ferney.
This sequel works well on all levels, the narrative flows well and the energy of the story in reuniting Ferney and Gally seems more focused and purposeful.
Ian Mapp
Jan 23, 2015 Ian Mapp rated it it was ok
Never go back. A maxim that should hold for the reader and for the author.

Despite its premise, I loved Ferney (5 Star Review - Ferney Review). It had enough mystery and a good enough unusual story to pull off the tweeness of a time travelling love story.

Didn't work a second time.

We have the same characters - expect that Gally is now in the body of a 15 year old girl (Jo), Ferney is in the body of the a 15 year old boy (Luke) and they are both back to haunt poor old Mike, who now has a murder cha
Michelle Hammond
Sep 12, 2016 Michelle Hammond rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book & was totally absorbed in it. I found it in poundland & thought it looked ok & a quid for a hardback bargain!! Now I need to find the previous book to read. Really recommend this.
Suzanne
Dec 26, 2012 Suzanne rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book once I got into the story. I read this immediately after finishing 'Ferney' so was a little disappointed at first to find that it didn't follow on nicely from where the tale finished off. However, once I found myself immersed in their world once more I quickly related to the characters and I just couldn't put it down.

I liked the characters on a whole and I really felt Mike's pain but I felt that towards the end of the book his character sort of lost his personality and passi
Jules
Aug 17, 2013 Jules rated it it was amazing
Ferney was one of my all time favourite books. In some ways I was reluctant to read this one, it had a lot to live up to & I didn't want it to spoil the story of the first one being a sequel as it was. However from the first chapter I was gripped & I couldn't put it down, try as I might to slow down my reading & make the book last longer I couldn't help myself!
The story can be read as a standalone story although it is interesting from the point of view of the first one. Of the two ma
Norra Dean
May 18, 2016 Norra Dean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Lives She Left Behind by James Long. many lifetimes, one love...
This is a sequel to Ferney, which I have not read yet. About this book, this is the longest time i took to finish a book. 4 months of dilly daly reading it as the first half of the book was really slow and boring i can say. The rating i gave was 1/5 for the first part. But then, as the storyline progressing, when Ferney met Gally, my reading pace had started to get faster. 2nd half of the book was managed to be finished in 2 day
Tracey Watson
Jan 01, 2013 Tracey Watson rated it liked it

I would really like to give this book a three and a half stars. After reading 'Ferney' which I absolutely loved, I was chomping at the bit to read the sequel. But I must say that I was slightly disappointed with it, I'm not sure whether it was the quality of the writing which I found slightly childlike or just the fact that I would have liked the two main characters in it, Gally and Ferney to be slightly older than 15/16 yrs of age, although it was nice that they could grow old together. I also
Kate
May 28, 2013 Kate rated it it was amazing
i loved loved loved it :)
Some people have said that you do not need to read Ferney first but i think you definatel;y do to get the most out of this amazing story.
In The Lives She Left Behind i loved the way the story slowly built towards the reuniting of Ferney and Gally - once again having to discover who they were and find each other.
I loved the history parts and i loved the conclusion it gave to everything as Ferney had ended on such a cliffhanger for me with an amazing twist.
I can't recommen
Helen
Dec 26, 2013 Helen rated it it was ok
The Lives She Left Behind begins a few years after the first novel, Ferney, ends.

It is hard to say too much about the plot without spoiling it for anyone who has not yet read it, but as with the first novel, it is a time-slip, historical romance which picks up the ongoing story of Mike, Ferney and Gally.

It is touted as a "must read" for fans of 'The Time Traveller's Wife', but is by no means in the same league and fails to equal its depth of characterisation, intrigue and engagement.

It adds a li
Shona Moyce
Bloody BRILLIANT!

The Lives She Left Behind is the follow up to the phenomenal Ferney.

It. Is. Brilliant!

It really is!

Sixteen years on from the birth of Gally's daughter, a troubled young girl called Jo finds herself drawn to the Somerset village of Pen Selwood.

The ancient, magical bond of a centuries-old love pulls Jo's true self through her fears, and back to the root of it all - back to Ferney.

Beautifully written and steeped in history, this book is easily as good, if not better, than the fi
David
Jul 01, 2014 David rated it really liked it
Ah, this is really close to a five-star book for me. In some ways it's better than Ferney, too. It doesn't suffer from disorienting flashbacks, on the plus side, for example; but it's possibly not quite as well written, and its ending is not as satisfying as that of its predecessor.

That said, it's no less compelling, and it really drew me in, just as Ferney did before it. So, swings and roundabouts, I suppose. But the pair are certainly well worth reading -- and probably even rereading.

4.5 out
Artemiz
Dec 31, 2013 Artemiz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
James Long's The Lives She Left Behind is a wonderful book.

If you have read Ferney then this book is good sequel to explain some things and tell you more stories about Ferney and Gally.

If you like books about everlasting love, love that lasts over many lifetimes, and books about history, then this book is perfect for you.
Julie
Sep 29, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I found it much better than Ferney. I was a little less annoyed with Ferney's attitude this time around and I was completely enthralled with the story.
I was confused at first because the story didn't follow on immediately from the ending of the previous book but I soon realised what was happening and I have to admit that I read late into the night - I just couldn't put it down.
Terry Mark
Feb 14, 2013 Terry Mark rated it it was amazing
Ferney has always been one of my all time favourite books and when I saw the sequel to that was out it was a must have. Some sequels don't tend to match the original but this is an exception, it's just as lovely as Ferney was and took me back to a place I enjoyed so much. So for anyone who was captivated by Ferney and Gally's story you'll be entranced with this.It will sit on my bookshelf like an old friend :).
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Christmas at the Crescent
  • When in Rome
  • The Silver Locket
  • The Year After
  • Kitty Peck and the Music Hall Murders (Kitty Peck #1)
  • Liberty Silk
  • I Can't Begin to Tell You
  • Lost and Found
  • Island of Bones (Crowther and Westerman, #3)
  • No Such Thing as Immortality
  • India Black and the Gentleman Thief (Madame of Espionage, #4)
Aka Will Davenport

James Long was a BBC TV news correspondent until the end of the 1980s. After two years starting and running an international TV station out of Zurich, he returned to England to concentrate on writing, which had always been his first love. He wrote four thrillers, then went back to a story he had begun many years earlier and which grew into Ferney. The book was originally born fro
More about James Long...

“Enough human sorrow had been aired on this bench below them over the centuries for them to understand when a mother mistook a daughter for a part of herself, a part that stood for something she did not like. Two people suffer whenever that mistake is made. Blank” 0 likes