Start by marking “Six Degrees of Lost” as Want to Read:
Six Degrees of Lost

Six Degrees of Lost

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Olive’s mother is headed to jail and her brother to join the Army, so thirteen-year-old Olive is uprooted from sunny California and dumped in Washington State like a stray. That's exactly what she feels like surrounded by her aunt’s collection of homeless dogs, cats, and horses.

Fourteen-year-old David’s future is already carved in stone. From a military family with two br...more
Paperback, Limited Edition - Promotional Print Version, 292 pages
Published July 15th 2012 by Musa Publishing - Euterpe (first published May 31st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Six Degrees of Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six Degrees of Lost

Taking Chances by Molly McAdamsThoughtless by S.C. StephensAmy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan MatsonLeaving Paradise by Simone ElkelesBetween the Lines by Tammara Webber
Holding Hands
122nd out of 224 books — 331 voters

More lists with this book...

Sandra Alonzo
With its intriguing title, SIX DEGREES OF LOST, it's difficult not to be drawn to this book. Linda Benson, author of THE GIRL WHO REMEMBERED HORSES, has written an engaging story for 'tween readers, one that is filled with good, interpersonal relationships. The characters, interesting without being over-characterized, depict just the right amount of rebellion to make them feel real. Not only is the plot forward-moving, this quick read provides a nice romance, innocent enough for the 'tween group...more
Anna
This is a book like home made pancakes. Like a good quality Sunday afternoon family movie with kids and dogs and some other animals. It's harmless, heart warming, cute and totally giftable to any child between 9 and about 12 but also to any adult who likes to read animal books since the language is refreshingly NOT dumbed down yet not too taxing for a child.
Anyone actually of the age of the protagonists (13 and 14 respectively) would possibly find it a bit too child friendly in content and pros...more
Maggie Dana
Jun 12, 2012 Maggie Dana rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mid-grade, tween, YA readers; adults, too
Six Degrees of Lost is a perfect coming-of-age story. It's compelling, believable, and quietly powerful. It held my attention from the very first page, and when I finished one chapter, I just had to dive into the next, and the next. There's plenty of dialogue, which is what YA readers love, and there's just enough description so you get a good sense of your surroundings. I could actually feel the dampness of a Pacific Northwest summer; I rejoiced when the sun came out.

The author, Linda Benson, h...more
Margaret Lesh
This story is told using the alternating point of view of thirteen-year-old Olive, whose mother is in jail, father is on the road, and brother is in the army; and David, fourteen, who feels as if his parents have predetermined his future. Their plans for him include him attending the Air Force Academy and then a career in the military like his two brothers. Olive is sent to live with her Aunt Trudy, a woman who takes in stray animals and works as a volunteer at a local animal shelter; Olive feel...more
Rita Monette
This book moves so fast, I literally could not put it down.

Olive is a thirteen year old girl that has had a life of instability. By the time she lands on her Aunt Trudy's doorstep, she feels like one of the stray animals her aunt takes in. David is a fourteen year old boy that wants for nothing...except his father's acceptance for who he is and what he wants to do with his life, and his mother's love.

Ms. Benson smoothly switches from Olive's to David's intimate point of view in short paragraphs...more
Elizabeth
I love books when they both perspectives of the main characters... This book is great for middle schoolers... My only problem was that this book is perfect for a boy or girl to read, but if you look at the cover what boy is going to read this? So basically my only issue was with the cover, it was too girly in my opinion... It should have incoporated some dog tags maybe to tie in the military aspects, some animals too since Olive's aunt took care of strays...
Linda Ulleseit
Six Degrees of Lost, by Linda Benson, follows Olive as she moves to a new state away from her mother and brother. She is lost without them, but for most of this book it seems like all the characters are lost. Olive’s new friend David isn’t as close to his parents as he once was, and his brothers are away. Olive longs for her mother, and enhances the memories so that it seems their life was perfect. Aunt Trudy is alone and battling illness. The yellow stray dog flits in and out as a more obvious...more
Kaitlin Bevis
Six Degrees of Lost by Linda Benson put me through the wringer emotionally speaking. The characters were compelling and the story line had me sniffling more than a few times. It’s a great book for animal lovers and has a very cute story time. It’s a bit younger than the young adult I’m accustomed too, but it was still a fantastic read.
Sandra
After Olive's mother is sent to jail for credit card fraud, Olive is sent to live with her aunt in Washington state while her brother is off for basic training. It's there that she must come to terms with her mother's imprisonment and the fact that she will be living with Aunt Trudy longer than she first anticipated. Meanwhile she meets David, a wealthy local boy who's dealing with coming-of-age problems of his own, including his father's determined plan to get him into the Air Force.

Six Degrees...more
DelSheree
Olive is lost. Not physically, mind you, but in just about every other way. Her mother is in jail, her brother in the military, and her dad in places unknown. When she shows up at her aunts house, she feels as if she has been dumped off on the only person left who hopefully cares about her. Olive struggles to find her way, and finds help in the unlikely friendship of the animals she meets and local boy, David, who is wading through his own troubles.

The two main characters of this book are Olive...more
Jill Marie Swanson
This was such a great story!
For my full review and an interview with the author, Linda Benson, visit my blog:

First I would like to say a big thanks to Linda Benson for sending me a copy of this book for review. I really enjoyed every page. The story behind Six Degrees of Lost is simple and sweet. I was taken in by this story and it's main character Olive. Olive is barely fourteen and struggling with the events in her life. With her mother in jail and her dad off tr...more
Meg - A Bookish Affair
First off, the genre of this book was little fuzzy. It could fall both in the middle grade or young adult genre. The main characters are 13 and 14 years old but sometimes seemed a little on the younger side. That being said, the book deals with some heavier topics (such as having a parent in jail) that may not be ideal for younger readers. This book is probably most appropriate for younger Young Adult readers.

This book is also a great book for animal lovers. After Olive's mom goes to jail, Olive...more
jgyweniverel
Sep 12, 2012 jgyweniverel marked it as to-read
Shelves: a-wish-list-book
This is a book after my own heart. If I could live out somewhere with a lot of land, and of course was a gazillionaire, I would rescue and treat as many horses, dogs, and cats (even though they don't seem to really get along with me very well. I guess it is because I love my dogs so much and they can smell it in me). I think the actress Doris Day does the sort of thing I wish I could do, at least that is what I have heard. I know she loves animals for a fact.
Deanna
What a wonderful book. I am a Foster parent and I am keeping this for my kids when their old enough.
Shari
An adorable and sweet middle grade book. Full review coming soon.
Coral
Daughter loved this book.
Candace

Review to come...
Marse
Marse marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Jesse W.
Jesse W. marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Layanvi Tennakoon
Layanvi Tennakoon marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Sas
Sas added it
Aug 23, 2014
Minnie Mouse
Minnie Mouse marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
vishruti
vishruti marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Fariya Islam
Fariya Islam marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Erica Williams
Erica Williams marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Sam Shivy
Sam Shivy marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Linda Cullen
Linda Cullen marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Robin Cundiff
Robin Cundiff marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
  • Transfer Student
  • The Wedding Blitz (Foolish Games, #3)
  • Shadow Eyes
  • Haven 6 (A New Dawn, #4)
  • Scarlet Woods (Book 1 of the Scarlet Woods Trilogy)
  • The Zombie Always Knocks Twice (Hollyweird, #1)
  • TaleSpins
  • After Ever (After, #1)
  • How to Bake a Book
  • Vosper's Revenge (Dragon Stone Saga #3)
  • Six Weeks to Yehidah
  • Deception Peak
  • Borne (Fireborne Trilogy #1)
  • Strange Metamorphosis
  • Water's Edge (Troubled Times Series, #1)
  • Blood Twist (Erris Coven, # 2)
  • Bad Hair Day (Kate Grable #2)
  • The Mosswoods
Linda Benson is the author of THE GIRL WHO REMEMBERED HORSES, SIX DEGREES OF LOST, WALKING THE DOG, FINDING CHANCE and THE HORSE JAR (which has been translated into Spanish.)

She is also the author of a series of short fiction called CAT TALES, including THE WINTER KITTEN, THE SPRINGTIME CAT, THE SUMMER CAT, and THE AUTUMN KITTEN.

Her passion for nature and animals often finds its way into her writi...more
More about Linda Benson...
The Girl Who Remembered Horses Walking the Dog The Horse Jar The Winter Kitten Finding Chance