Start by marking “The Retrieval Artist: A Retrieval Artist Short Novel” as Want to Read:
The Retrieval Artist: A Retrieval Artist Short Novel

The Retrieval Artist: A Retrieval Artist Short Novel (Retrieval Artist)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  117 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The short novel that started the entire Retrieval Artist series, The Retrieval Artist introduced Miles Flint to the world. Hugo-nominated, chosen as one of the best stories of the year, The Retrieval Artist created an entire universe, and Flint himself became what IO9 calls “one of the top ten science fiction detectives ever.”

Part CSI, part Blade Runner, and part hard-boil
ebook
Published July 28th 2010 by WMG Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Retrieval Artist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Retrieval Artist

Mimi
Apr 30, 2015 Mimi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of hardboiled sci-fi
Recommended to Mimi by: list of past Hugo Award nominees
If Hammett and Chandler were to dabble in sci-fi, the result would look something like this novella.

Miles Flint is a retrieval artist and his job is to locate the Disappeared, people who have gone into hiding and whose former existence hasbeen permanently erasedfrom all databases. Flint tracks them down foran exorbitant feebecausehe's very good at his job. But he isn't without scruples. Sometimes certain people need to stay disappeared. There's lots of reasons why someone wouldwant to disappear
Staticblaq
Mar 23, 2014 Staticblaq rated it it was ok
"The short novel that started the entire Retrieval Artist series".

"One of the top ten science fiction detective series ever."

High praise indeed.

Tech Noir: Once more into the breach!

This short story starts out in the crummy office a private detective who is shortly visited by an attractive femme fatale and - Oh Dear God, I'm back in noir hell!!

This is why terms like derivative and unimaginative are used by reviewers.

Our private detective narrator explains that this is for appearances only, howeve
Roger
Jul 20, 2014 Roger rated it really liked it
SUMMARY: In the future, a lot of people want to disappear, apparently because by treaty if you violate an alien races customs you are subject to their laws. Think of it as witness protection ran by private companies.

For a lot of money, if he happens to be interested in your case and if it fits into his ethics, Miles Flint, the main character, will find the person who has disappeared for you. This short story is about a young woman who is asking Miles to find her mother and sister. Is she being h
Lindsay Boitnott
Aug 11, 2014 Lindsay Boitnott rated it really liked it
Ok, so I could not get a good synopsis of The Retrieval Artist, so I will supply a short one.

Miles Flint is the best in his field and it has allowed him a life of luxury in the Armstrong Moon Colony. It also allows him the right to be picky about the cases he takes. He has no intention on helping the beautiful brunette find her mother but he soon finds himself searching for one more of the Disappeared.

Brief, but this is a rather short novel and I have no skills when it comes to writing synopsize
BobA707
May 19, 2014 BobA707 rated it really liked it
Summary: Interesting short story set in a complicated universe with strange aliens colonised planets. Good story

Plotline: Relatively simple but lies within lies ... all good stuff

Premise: Many complex relationships with alien species.

Writing: Simple but descriptive and very engaging

Ending: Satisfying

Pace: Never a dull moment
Lois Clark-Johnston
My husband is reading this series and so I am rereading some of the early books with him. I'm not sure if I actually read this novella before or not. I assume this was the first Miles Flint story? I honestly don't remember. I like this story short but kind of typical Miles Flint style.
Glen U
May 29, 2015 Glen U rated it really liked it
This was a very good short novel and the start of Rusch's retrieval artist series. The copy I had also included short stories from Kristine Kathryn Rusch and was surprisingly good. Rusch's writings consist of both SF and fantasy. Her stories are amazingly creative and always original.
Cyn Armistead
Apr 24, 2010 Cyn Armistead rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Apparently the beginning of the Retrieval Artist series, which I've been meaning to check out for some time now. The premise on which the series is based - that humans are doing business with other races, some of which have business practices that can drive humans to need to disappear to an extent never known before - is, well, interesting. I'm not sure that any other race would be quite as cruel to humans as we are to each other, honestly, and I've seen humans give each other more than enough r ...more
Kanhaiya
Dec 07, 2014 Kanhaiya rated it really liked it
A unique futuristic SciFi world. Have to make up my mind though of continuing with the series.
Noel
Feb 02, 2013 Noel rated it it was amazing
The novel that started it all. There is quite a bit of evolution in the character of Miles Flint from this to the series we know and love, but it's still excellent and lays a great groundwork.
James
Dec 19, 2013 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cleverly written short novel, a sequel of sorts to The Disappeared. Now to the series proper...
Don
Jun 25, 2011 Don rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A novella. It reads like classic science fiction. Great fun.
Andrea
Mar 05, 2011 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing, but grim story.
Richard
Richard rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Joy
Joy rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Ax
Ax added it
Jan 17, 2016
Susan York
Susan York rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2016
Dan Donovan
Dan Donovan rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
John Purcell
John Purcell marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
John F. Weitkamp
John F. Weitkamp rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Hal Roland
Hal Roland rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Alice
Alice rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2015
John Lacey
John Lacey rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Kristine Kathryn Rusch is an award-winning mystery, romance, science fiction, and fantasy writer. She has written many novels under various names, including Kristine Grayson for romance, and Kris Nelscott for mystery. Her novels have made the bestseller lists –even in London– and have been published in 14 countries and 13 different languages.

Her awards range from the Ellery Queen Readers Choice Aw
More about Kristine Kathryn Rusch...

Retrieval Artist (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Disappeared (Retrieval Artist, #1)
  • Extremes (Retrieval Artist, #2)
  • Consequences (Retrieval Artist, #3)
  • Buried Deep (Retrieval Artist, #4)
  • Paloma (Retrieval Artist, #5)
  • Recovery Man (Retrieval Artist, #6)
  • Duplicate Effort (Retrieval Artist, #7)
  • Anniversary Day (Retrieval Artist, #8)
  • Blowback (Retrieval Artist, #9)
  • A Murder of Clones (Retrieval Artist, #10)