Start by marking “Seven Theories of Religion” as Want to Read:
Seven Theories of Religion

Seven Theories of Religion

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  162 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Buku ini merupakan magnum opus dalam bidang studi agama yang akan senantiasa dikaji setiap generasi manusia. Melalui buku ini, Emile Durkheim memetakan kerangka historis “agama-agama dasar” beserta implikasi-implikasi sosiologisnya yang kemudian menjadi “ruh” suatu masyarakat. Kendati juga memang harus buru-buru dinyatakan bahwa Durkheim sebenarnya tergolong ke dalam kelom ...more
396 pages
Published October 2011 by IRCiSoD (first published April 18th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Theories of Religion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Theories of Religion

§--
Jan 15, 2009 §-- rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
I learned a lot from this book. I was familiar with the more popular (and, interestingly, more stupid) theorists: Marx, Freud, Durkheim. This book introduced me to newer, fresher, and more scientific theorists like Mircea Eliade (thank you for that!), and E.E. Evans-Pritchard (also thank you).

I would give this book to atheists. Not all atheists, just the kind who, know it or not, get their ideas from Marx and Freud. By the end of this book, you cannot take seriously either of their perspectives.
H
An excessively academic study stifled by its polite rhetoric; half the book is fluffed introduction. Selection of theories & major figures is almost incoherent, jammed together for the sake of the project rather than naturally flowing from the actual impact on major thinkers in the last two centuries. This is one of those highly summary books which gives the illusion of information by its selectivity of main ideas from various sources, but in the end makes no conclusions or syntheses or sign ...more
♥ Ibrahim ♥
If you want to compare what different theorists of religion have to say and in such an engaging style, this is a really exciting book. I can't wait till I get to this part about Mircea Eliade.....
Haven
Dec 30, 2015 Haven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly recommend this book to help one study the many theories of religions from the academic standpoint. This book is really well put together. I used this book to get me through one of my collage classes at UNCG. It's an amazing book and believe me, I really put this book to good use.
James Hollomon
Feb 11, 2013 James Hollomon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a book to read in hopes of discovering a general theory of religion. It is, instead, a wonderful study of why such a one-size-fits-all theory will be difficult if not impossible for cultural anthropologists to construct. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book and learned much about the truths the seven great students of human religions unearthed and also the errors that rendered each one's work far from perfect.
Mujib Romadlon
sangat menarik sekali ketika melihat pandangan agama dari berbagai tokoh, katakanlah marx yang mengatakan agama adalah candu, implikasi logis durkheim merupakan fakta dan fenomena sosiologis, agama itu hanyalah ilusi oleh freud dan beberapa tokoh lain pun memakai berbagai pandangan masing-masingnya. dan silahkan anda akan menambahkan subyektifis anda sendiri mengenai agama menurut anda pribadi..
Ed
Aug 29, 2008 Ed rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this book helpful to my comprehending these seven theorists, especially Durkheim, though friends tell me Pals' reading is "problematic."
Joevarian
Dec 22, 2012 Joevarian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
I wrote some review about this book on my blog: joehudijana.wordpress.com
Heribertus P
Oct 27, 2007 Heribertus P rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
just stay calm,read carefully..
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Justin
Justin added it
Jun 16, 2016
Rebecca Ward
Rebecca Ward marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Cory Hall
Cory Hall marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
MM
MM marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Jibril Caliph
Jibril Caliph marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
SANDRA
SANDRA marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Kristie Alonso
Kristie Alonso marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Nathan
Nathan rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Tomy
Tomy marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Lia Zhang
Lia Zhang is currently reading it
May 21, 2016
Sonya
Sonya added it
May 21, 2016
Roberto Dumont
Roberto Dumont rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Katherine Lee
Katherine Lee marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Tammy Dietrich
Tammy Dietrich marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Megan
Megan added it
May 15, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Bazinga
Bazinga marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
  • God Against the Gods: The History of the War Between Monotheism and Polytheism
  • Psychology and Religion
  • The Ritual Process: Structure and Anti-Structure
  • Pagan Ways: Finding Your Spirituality in Nature
  • The Mythmaker: Paul and the Invention of Christianity
  • The Prehistory of the Mind: The Cognitive Origins of Art, Religion and Science
  • Cleansing the Doors of Perception: The Religious Significance of Entheogenic Plants and Chemicals
  • The Discovery of the Unconscious: The History and Evolution of Dynamic Psychiatry
  • Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast: The Evolutionary Origins of Belief
  • Essential Sacred Writings from Around the World: A Thematic Sourcebook on the History of Religions
  • The Jesus Discovery: The New Archaeological Find that Reveals the Birth of Christianity
  • Believing in Magic: The Psychology of Superstition
  • How Jesus Became Christian
  • Treatise on the Gods
  • Essential Zen
  • The Elementary Forms of Religious Life
  • Hindu Goddesses: Visions of the Divine Feminine in the Hindu Religious Tradition
  • The Sacred Canopy: Elements of a Sociological Theory of Religion