Start by marking “Un barbier riche” as Want to Read:
Un barbier riche

Un barbier riche

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  3,143 ratings  ·  211 reviews
David Chilton's popular The Wealthy Barber is a good starting point for anyone who wants to construct a personal financial plan. Many people are so scared of dealing with their money that they don't do anything at all--only to suffer for it over the long haul. Chilton shows that planning is simple and you don't have be a whiz kid to set yourself on the route to financial s ...more
Published 1993 by Éditions du Trécarré (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Un barbier riche, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Un barbier riche

Rob
This is the first personal finance book I've ever read, and I'm really, really happy to have done it. By presenting a boring topic in a conversational format--including lots of baseball chiding--Chilton makes personal finance accessible to anyone and everyone.

He presents a really simple system that anyone can follow, starting today, to get your finances in order. Put 10% into a "I'm going to be rich someday" fund. Put another 10%+ into retirement. Do whatever you want with the rest (essentially)
Leanne
This book has a cult-following amongst Canadians, and now that I've read it, I know why. It was first published in 1989, and is written like a "novel", except with more dialogue than any book I've ever read.

Here's the set-up: 3 twenty-somethings go to a barber for financial advice. They go eight times (there are each time is a chapter), and have seven lessons with the Wealthy Barber, Ron, who gives them financial advice.

1. Save 10% of your income for long-term growth. Pay yourself first. He talk
Stefanie
This one might have been better in book (versus audiobook) form. The framing device of an ongoing conversation about financial matters between (obnoxious, faux humorous) people in a barber shop was excruciating. Suddenly, Stephen King's admonitions against adverbs in On Writing made a WHOLE LOT OF SENSE. And the narrator's self-description at the beginning makes him sound like a total jerk--I didn't WANT this guy to be financially successful! However, buried in the dialogue is really good, strai ...more
Ed
Bad jokes and good financial advice go a long way to making me enjoy a book and this had both. By now the book is probably a little dated for some of the advice but really there are important principles that are timeless, the first being that I should have started investing ten years ago. Ah well. Really this book is a nice short read and serves well as an entertaining primer to financial planning. Probably much of the advice is common knowledge and the toughest thing is making the first step to ...more
Sean
The wealthy Barber has become a classic of Canadian financial literature for the average Joe, and for good reason. The Wealthy Barber is not your everyday boring financial planning book which instructs you on how to budget and predict the stock market. The wealthy barber does not even cover those topics as viable paths to financial prosperity as everyone who has tried a personal budget knows how hard it is to follow. Same with the stock market, it is ridiculous to believe that millions will easi ...more
Karlene
For a book that was written in 1989, the Wealthy Barber can definitely offer financial advice that is still of value today. I have seen an updated version of this book, and now that I've read through the original, it definitely makes sense as to why.

A lot of my financial basics parallelled this book, which was comforting. On the other hand, it was pretty funny to see how dated some of the tips were.
For example there is a HUGE section on RRSPs, where as today RRSPs definitely aren't the right ch
Tim Sormin
While there is some outdated information, the main principles are sound and very easily understood. The storytelling and humour are corny, but better than reading your typical monologue-textbook format. It's personal finance for dummies, but most of us are financial dummies so I'd recommend it.
Car
This booked KICKED BUTT! This has given lots of very realistic, easy tips on financial planning. It is written in a very witty way, almost as a story about 4 guys just chatting, which makes it easy to follow.
Nancy
Excellent. Down to earth. Good analogies! Just order the new one! Looking forward to more words of wisdom. Not too dry as some finance books can be!
Mary
Nov 08, 2014 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary by: my mother
this original is probably outdated now but it still has quite a lot to offer. I read this at 21 (my mother forced me to read it). It is one of, if not the very first book that opened my eyes to the world of investments, esp. real estate. It was instrumental in helping me purchase my first home at 23, then my first investment property at 25. There are a lot of books in finance, but this one was my first real teacher. I talked about it a lot with my clients and when I spoke at seminars.

A great boo
Michael
Folksy. I far preferred A Random Walk down Wall Street.
Alex Gregory
The Wealthy Barber is the kind of book that you can read in fits and stops, as it's generally easy enough to pick up the material and understand it, but somewhat taxing to try and parse the sometimes-simplistic writing and cutesy "plot" that comes with it.

The book is a Canadian finance classic, though, and with good reason. Chilton's lessons are very simple - pay yourself first, save 10% of everything you earn and get into diversified portfolios. You don't really need the book to understand it,
Lu
This book contains the secrets to financial success!!!! There's no catchy quotes or mantras about sacrificing a latte. There's no workbook to fill out and in fact, it recommends against a detailed budgeting system. There's not even any big, scary words. This is the real practical advice to how to get ahead in life. It describes the shocking truth that becoming financially secure is a long slow process.

The book's advice is told through a story of three young(er) people seeking financial advice f
Scott
What sets this book apart from every other financial book out there is its sheer readability. Instead of boring you with figures & equations, Chilton presents his advice in the form of a fictional story (a son comes to his father for money advice, and the father sends him to the local barber, who it turns out is a financial wiz -it's better than it sounds. Really.), which makes it extremely easy to follow.

Far from being a "get rich quick" book, The Wealthy Barber actually pitches a conservat
Stephenphillips19
There were many things that I enjoyed about this book. First, I liked that is was not a book that just went through all aspects of finance and have all kinds of charts and graphs to help confuse me. It was written as more of a biography than some boring finance text book. There was more to the story than just numbers.

Second, he has a very easy approach to finance, and does not get so wrapped up in all the little details. He gives the basics of knowing how to manage and invest your money, and doe
Joshua Washburn
Most of it is just common sense as the title would have you believe. A couple tips I didn't already know about. It seemed like it would be a great book for someone who hasn't grown up financially educated by their parents. For me almost all of it was stuff I was either doing or at least new I should do.

Overall it is a very easy read that gives a full frame work for personal finance. A little dated but still useful and largely valid.
karl and mandy brown
Mar 25, 2011 karl and mandy brown rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to karl and mandy by: Heidi
Shelves: karl
As billed, The Wealthy Barber: The Common Sense Guide to Successful Financial Planning is an introductory guide to managing personal finance. The target audience is people 20-45 years old, and the author presents three case studies - a young professor starting a family, an entrepreneur, and a young professional - all looking for financial wisdom. Top themes included saving at least 10% for retirement, investing in mutual funds, living within one's means, and making sure one has the correct amoun ...more
Rita
1989, Canadian stockbroker-turned-writer
gives advice to us all on managing our finances, particularly saving 10% of our income each and every month of our lives from our very first paycheck, investing it wisely.

lots on life insurance, mortgages, different kinds of investments -- mutual funds [yes], common stocks [no], using professional investment managers wisely. Very helpful book.

got book from Hanneke T]
Otis Chandler
Nov 20, 2006 Otis Chandler rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: business, nonfiction
My old CEO and mentor (James Currier) gave me this book for christmas after I first started work at his company. He said they handed it out at HBS and it was a simple but very powerful intro to managing your finances. And it was. So forget Personal Finance For Dummies (which I also read) - start with this.

Personal finance is something that isn't taught in school, but is incredibly important - and the basics aren't very hard. I found this book invaluable as a young software engineer, when I was
Art
This personal finance book is presented in a non-threatening and easy to understand manner. The main character's father guides him to a local barber who has done well financially by following sound financial principles. The barber dispenses his knowledge to some pupils during weekly meetings in his barbershop. I highly recommend this book, especially to those new to the subject of personal finance.
Jodi R.
A little outdated in some ways, and the writing is cringeworthy at times (for the love of all that is good and holy - put the thesaurus away and just say "says" from time to time!), but the advice is sound and easy to understand. I am glad I read it and will likely skim it again to make sure I got some things right. Would be a very good gift (there's an updated version, I believe) for people in college/just finishing, newlyweds...
Linsey
This is a great, easy to understand financial planning book. It tells the story of a group of 3 Canadian 20-somethings who discover the local barber is a financial wizard. As they get their monthly haircuts, the barber gives them financial insight. I found this book to be really helpful at reinforcing things I already knew (like the magic of compound interest) and teaching me new things (llike how to figure out how much life insurance you need).
I did find that some of the info is dated (the boo
Betty
Jul 08, 2012 Betty rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Poor money managers
The Wealthy Barber was an unusual presentation of personal finance. It is written in the form of a novel. Several friends, over the course of seven months, visit their local barber (who happens to be a self-made millionaire) to find out how he did it. As they get their hair cut, Roy gives them tips. The first and most important tip is to pay yourself 10% of your salary up front EVERY paycheck. This money properly invested will be worth several million at retirement.

He then goes on to discuss in
Shawn
A useful and quick take on basic money management decisions that, if initiated at least two to three decades before retirement, can ultimately lead to wealth and financial stability in the long-term.
Tihomir
It is a pretty useful book in general. However, I found it a bit difficult to understand some concepts. I might need to read it again someday.
Marcel
Dated. Good for SUPER beginners. Essentially says, "pay yourself first". 10% or more, and then find a good investment vehicle for it.
Susan
I have a feeling In need to read this book again, it was great the first time and I probably could take some of the advice again!
Dominic
Excellent, common sense approach to managing money. Well explained in layman's terms that everyone can grasp.
Carolyn Jackson
A great choice for any well thinking adult with an aversion to talking/thinking/planning personal finances. An excellent starting point.
Peter
(read this before Goodreads, added this years after reading the book)

Probably liked it.
  • The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need
  • Your Money or Your Life: Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence
  • The Automatic Millionaire: A Powerful One-Step Plan to Live and Finish Rich
  • The Four Pillars of Investing: Lessons for Building a Winning Portfolio
  • Millionaire Teacher: The Nine Rules of Wealth You Should Have Learned in School
  • The Five Lessons a Millionaire Taught Me About Life and Wealth
  • The Road to Wealth: A Comprehensive Guide to Your Money
  • Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes And How To Correct Them: Lessons From The New Science Of Behavioral Economics
  • The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
  • Thou Shall Prosper: Ten Commandments for Making Money
  • Multiple Streams of Income: How to Generate a Lifetime of Unlimited Wealth
  • How to Live Well Without Owning a Car: Save Money, Breathe Easier, and Get More Mileage Out of Life
  • The Joy of Simple Living: Over 1,500 Simple Ways to Make Your Life Easy and Content-- At Home and At Work
  • The Millionaire Mind
  • Get a Financial Life: Personal Finance in Your Twenties and Thirties
  • Never Too Late: Take Control of Your Retirement and Your Life
  • The One Minute Millionaire: The Enlightened Way to Wealth
David Harold Chilton (1951–1997) was a Reformed pastor, Christian Reconstructionist, speaker, and author of several books on economics, eschatology and Christian Worldview from Placerville, California. He contributed three books on eschatology: Paradise Restored (1985), The Days of Vengeance (1987), and The Great Tribulation (1987).

His book Productive Christians in an Age of Guilt-Manipulators: A
More about David H. Chilton...
Paradise Restored: A Biblical Theology of Dominion The Days of Vengeance: An Exposition of the Book of Revelation Productive Christians in an Age of Guilt Manipulators: A Biblical Response to Ronald J. Sider The Great Tribulation Power of the Blood: A Christian Response to AIDS