Start by marking “Un barbier riche” as Want to Read:
Un barbier riche

Un barbier riche

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,484 Ratings  ·  261 Reviews
David Chilton's popular The Wealthy Barber is a good starting point for anyone who wants to construct a personal financial plan. Many people are so scared of dealing with their money that they don't do anything at all--only to suffer for it over the long haul. Chilton shows that planning is simple and you don't have be a whiz kid to set yourself on the route to financial s ...more
Published 1993 by Éditions du Trécarré (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Un barbier riche, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Un barbier riche

Rob
Sep 08, 2010 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first personal finance book I've ever read, and I'm really, really happy to have done it. By presenting a boring topic in a conversational format--including lots of baseball chiding--Chilton makes personal finance accessible to anyone and everyone.

He presents a really simple system that anyone can follow, starting today, to get your finances in order. Put 10% into a "I'm going to be rich someday" fund. Put another 10%+ into retirement. Do whatever you want with the rest (essentially)
Yuval
Jun 24, 2015 Yuval rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While reading this book I've had my reservations about the value of the advice given in it.

After finishing it, I think that in total it's a positive book - most of the advices are sound and arguments for and against are considered. However, I do find it biased, and the math lacking at times.

First of all, it always assumes double digit growth on capital. It may have been true once, but not anymore, so all the math should be adjusted. For example, the teacher that saved for 15 years and made a $80
Leanne
Nov 03, 2011 Leanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a cult-following amongst Canadians, and now that I've read it, I know why. It was first published in 1989, and is written like a "novel", except with more dialogue than any book I've ever read.

Here's the set-up: 3 twenty-somethings go to a barber for financial advice. They go eight times (there are each time is a chapter), and have seven lessons with the Wealthy Barber, Ron, who gives them financial advice.

1. Save 10% of your income for long-term growth. Pay yourself first. He talk
Otis Chandler
Nov 20, 2006 Otis Chandler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: business, nonfiction
My old CEO and mentor (James Currier) gave me this book for christmas after I first started work at his company. He said they handed it out at HBS and it was a simple but very powerful intro to managing your finances. And it was. So forget Personal Finance For Dummies (which I also read) - start with this.

Personal finance is something that isn't taught in school, but is incredibly important - and the basics aren't very hard. I found this book invaluable as a young software engineer, when I was
Remidion
Nov 04, 2015 Remidion rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for any friend, it approaches personal finance in a nonchalant, meaningful, practical and funny way which makes the read a breeze. I wanted to read the book for its content on personal finances, but I ended up being caught in the story and enjoying it for its storytelling.
Stefanie
This one might have been better in book (versus audiobook) form. The framing device of an ongoing conversation about financial matters between (obnoxious, faux humorous) people in a barber shop was excruciating. Suddenly, Stephen King's admonitions against adverbs in On Writing made a WHOLE LOT OF SENSE. And the narrator's self-description at the beginning makes him sound like a total jerk--I didn't WANT this guy to be financially successful! However, buried in the dialogue is really good, strai ...more
Elizabeth Mirr wysocki
Such great advice on becoming financially literate AND a quick read
Ed
Dec 26, 2013 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Bad jokes and good financial advice go a long way to making me enjoy a book and this had both. By now the book is probably a little dated for some of the advice but really there are important principles that are timeless, the first being that I should have started investing ten years ago. Ah well. Really this book is a nice short read and serves well as an entertaining primer to financial planning. Probably much of the advice is common knowledge and the toughest thing is making the first step to ...more
Greg Talbot
Jan 01, 2016 Greg Talbot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Brian Preston and Bo Hanson ("The Money Guys" podcast) and their "on point" podcast about the key financial books you have to read. This is a primer, an easy read, a well-meaning story about getting financial advice that isn't going to overwhelm you. The human element seems to be what separates a great finance book from a typical pressing of finance information.

The story revolves around a young naive man Tom who goes to his local barber known for the best money tips and haircut snip
Sean
Jun 11, 2014 Sean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The wealthy Barber has become a classic of Canadian financial literature for the average Joe, and for good reason. The Wealthy Barber is not your everyday boring financial planning book which instructs you on how to budget and predict the stock market. The wealthy barber does not even cover those topics as viable paths to financial prosperity as everyone who has tried a personal budget knows how hard it is to follow. Same with the stock market, it is ridiculous to believe that millions will easi ...more
David Albert
Apr 13, 2015 David Albert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is some very good, general information here that just about anyone can benefit from. I did, however, hate the presentation. It's all presented in a painfully cheesy conversation between a barber, 3 30-somethings in need of knowledge, and a couple of old farts who live in the barber's shop. It made me want to slap someone.

Still, I must recommend the book for there was good information inside. It's fairly well rounded, providing value to just about anyone.
Maya Man
Mar 19, 2016 Maya Man rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
finally got around to this one after much gentle, yet consistent urging of my father, The Wealthy Barber is a thinly veiled lesson in personal finance. aside from a few witty remarks from characters in between the barber's lectures, the book is plainly an essential guide to simply and properly managing your money. a very important read, but honestly not an engaging one. would recommend for educational purposes only, not enjoyment.
Karlene
Jan 25, 2014 Karlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a book that was written in 1989, the Wealthy Barber can definitely offer financial advice that is still of value today. I have seen an updated version of this book, and now that I've read through the original, it definitely makes sense as to why.

A lot of my financial basics parallelled this book, which was comforting. On the other hand, it was pretty funny to see how dated some of the tips were.
For example there is a HUGE section on RRSPs, where as today RRSPs definitely aren't the right ch
Tim Sormin
Mar 15, 2012 Tim Sormin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: educational
While there is some outdated information, the main principles are sound and very easily understood. The storytelling and humour are corny, but better than reading your typical monologue-textbook format. It's personal finance for dummies, but most of us are financial dummies so I'd recommend it.
Frode
Jan 24, 2015 Frode rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second time through the book. I reread it since I am recommending it to a couple of younger fellows; thus, I am needing to be up to speed on it for our future discussions. It is readable, enjoyable, and has a number of profitable ideas. The case he makes for mutual funds is ok for many, but some will prefer to own particular stocks. While he advocates not using credit cards, their convenience combined with self discipline makes them a useful tool. Of course, they are like fire, a usef ...more
Debs
Dec 05, 2014 Debs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was kind of "meh" when this book won our book club vote, but I'm actually really glad I read it. Even though my first thoughts were around how chauvinistic and sexist some peoples were and how I wanted to punch them in the face, I did find that it moved very well and was entertaining in a stereotypical dubbed down, must be accessible all-American-boy way. And the writing is...like...SO terrible.

But that's not really the point here. The advice in this book is sound. I'm giving it points because
Car
May 25, 2008 Car rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This booked KICKED BUTT! This has given lots of very realistic, easy tips on financial planning. It is written in a very witty way, almost as a story about 4 guys just chatting, which makes it easy to follow.
Anna Kazakova
Oct 12, 2015 Anna Kazakova rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published http://lifeasaninvestment.com/2014/04...

It is nicely written, and with a sense of humor. The Canadian author gives it away with the title—it does not matter what you do and how much money you earn, you have the same chances of being wealthy as anybody else. Most importantly, follow your financial plan no matter what.
David Chilton is not only a writer; he is also a successful investor. He can be seen making investment decisions at the Dragons’ Den Canada show (from 2012-prese
Nancy
Aug 17, 2011 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Down to earth. Good analogies! Just order the new one! Looking forward to more words of wisdom. Not too dry as some finance books can be!
Mary
Nov 08, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary by: my mother
this original is probably outdated now but it still has quite a lot to offer. I read this at 21 (my mother forced me to read it). It is one of, if not the very first book that opened my eyes to the world of investments, esp. real estate. It was instrumental in helping me purchase my first home at 23, then my first investment property at 25. There are a lot of books in finance, but this one was my first real teacher. I talked about it a lot with my clients and when I spoke at seminars.

A great boo
Murray deBoer
Apr 08, 2015 Murray deBoer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good,clean, simple financial planning to make anyone well off. Unfortunately when I read this book about 20 years ago I did not follow all of the steps and as a result am not in the secure financial position I could be. But, it's never to late to start doing things better. The book has 12 very simple basis ideas, the most important being, pay yourself 10% of every paycheck first and invest in long term savings, have the proper and right amount of life insurance, have an up to date will, maximize ...more
Michael
Jan 08, 2007 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Folksy. I far preferred A Random Walk down Wall Street.
Alex Gregory
Dec 06, 2013 Alex Gregory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wealthy Barber is the kind of book that you can read in fits and stops, as it's generally easy enough to pick up the material and understand it, but somewhat taxing to try and parse the sometimes-simplistic writing and cutesy "plot" that comes with it.

The book is a Canadian finance classic, though, and with good reason. Chilton's lessons are very simple - pay yourself first, save 10% of everything you earn and get into diversified portfolios. You don't really need the book to understand it,
Lu
Feb 21, 2010 Lu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains the secrets to financial success!!!! There's no catchy quotes or mantras about sacrificing a latte. There's no workbook to fill out and in fact, it recommends against a detailed budgeting system. There's not even any big, scary words. This is the real practical advice to how to get ahead in life. It describes the shocking truth that becoming financially secure is a long slow process.

The book's advice is told through a story of three young(er) people seeking financial advice f
Scott
Mar 23, 2009 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What sets this book apart from every other financial book out there is its sheer readability. Instead of boring you with figures & equations, Chilton presents his advice in the form of a fictional story (a son comes to his father for money advice, and the father sends him to the local barber, who it turns out is a financial wiz -it's better than it sounds. Really.), which makes it extremely easy to follow.

Far from being a "get rich quick" book, The Wealthy Barber actually pitches a conservat
Stephenphillips19
Jun 17, 2009 Stephenphillips19 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were many things that I enjoyed about this book. First, I liked that is was not a book that just went through all aspects of finance and have all kinds of charts and graphs to help confuse me. It was written as more of a biography than some boring finance text book. There was more to the story than just numbers.

Second, he has a very easy approach to finance, and does not get so wrapped up in all the little details. He gives the basics of knowing how to manage and invest your money, and doe
Dorothy Bandusky
Financial guidance is provided through the characters' monthly trips to the barbershop. The reader learns along with them about the 10% solution, investments, wills, retirement planning, home-ownership, insurance, emergency funds, and more. The conversational attitude of the book greatly reinforces the principles introduced.

While some of the information could be a little out-dated, this is still a beneficial and reader-friendly adviser.
Joshua Washburn
Most of it is just common sense as the title would have you believe. A couple tips I didn't already know about. It seemed like it would be a great book for someone who hasn't grown up financially educated by their parents. For me almost all of it was stuff I was either doing or at least new I should do.

Overall it is a very easy read that gives a full frame work for personal finance. A little dated but still useful and largely valid.
Thibault
Feb 15, 2016 Thibault rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I read the revised edition before reading this one. I still enjoyed it immensely. The crux of it is saving about 10% and another 10% on retirement. He explains well the beauty of compound interest and the importance of investing on equity mutual funds... This is the book that really opened my eyes to investment. The chapter on a a dollar saved, two dollar earned was eye opening. The tips on life insurance are worthwhile.
karl and mandy brown
Mar 25, 2011 karl and mandy brown rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to karl and mandy by: Heidi
Shelves: karl
As billed, The Wealthy Barber: The Common Sense Guide to Successful Financial Planning is an introductory guide to managing personal finance. The target audience is people 20-45 years old, and the author presents three case studies - a young professor starting a family, an entrepreneur, and a young professional - all looking for financial wisdom. Top themes included saving at least 10% for retirement, investing in mutual funds, living within one's means, and making sure one has the correct amoun ...more
  • The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need
  • Your Money or Your Life: Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence
  • Debt-Free Forever: Take Control of Your Money and Your Life
  • The Automatic Millionaire: A Powerful One-Step Plan to Live and Finish Rich
  • Millionaire Teacher: The Nine Rules of Wealth You Should Have Learned in School
  • The Joy of Simple Living: Over 1,500 Simple Ways to Make Your Life Easy and Content-- At Home and At Work
  • The Truth About Money
  • The Road to Wealth: A Comprehensive Guide to Your Money
  • The Lazy Person's Guide to Investing: A Book for Procrastinators, the Financially Challenged, and Everyone Who Worries about Dealing with Their Money
  • Multiple Streams of Income: How to Generate a Lifetime of Unlimited Wealth
  • The Pursuit of Wow!: Every Person's Guide to Topsy-Turvy Times
  • Make Money, Not Excuses: Wake Up, Take Charge, and Overcome Your Financial Fears Forever
  • The Five Lessons a Millionaire Taught Me About Life and Wealth
  • Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes And How To Correct Them: Lessons From The New Science Of Behavioral Economics
  • The Motley Fool You Have More Than You Think: The Foolish Guide to Personal Finance
  • The Four Pillars of Investing: Lessons for Building a Winning Portfolio
  • 50 Prosperity Classics
  • The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns
David Harold Chilton (1951–1997) was a Reformed pastor, Christian Reconstructionist, speaker, and author of several books on economics, eschatology and Christian Worldview from Placerville, California. He contributed three books on eschatology: Paradise Restored (1985), The Days of Vengeance (1987), and The Great Tribulation (1987).

His book Productive Christians in an Age of Guilt-Manipulators: A
More about David H. Chilton...