Start by marking “UnStrung (Unwind, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
UnStrung (Unwind, #1.5)

UnStrung (Unwind Dystology #1.5)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  5,272 Ratings  ·  514 Reviews
How did Lev Calder move from an unwillingly escaped Tithe to a clapper?

In this new ebook original short story, author Neal Shusterman opens a window on Lev's adventures between the time he left CyFi and when he showed up at the Graveyard.

Lev's experiences on a Hi-Rez, an extraordinarily wealthy Native American Reservation introduce him to a teen with remarkable musical tal
Published July 24th 2012 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about UnStrung, please sign up.

Stephanie Burgess I would because there's a lot of great info in the first book that helps you understand the keys to how and when this happens

Terence
Sep 16, 2015 Terence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After leaving CyFi and before heading to the graveyard, Lev stayed at a wealthy Native American reservation. Native American reservations don't participate in unwinding and they sometimes shelter AWOL kids. While there, Lev meets a young man Chowilawu, Wil for short, who has an incredible talent with a guitar.

UnStrung is an interesting tale that I must admit didn't sound too intriguing. I thought I knew enough about why Lev became a clapper and wasn't all that interested in reading the novella.
Julie
Jul 07, 2012 Julie marked it as to-read
WHAT?!
An UNWIND novella?!

description
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Aug 13, 2012 Stacia (the 2010 club) rated it really liked it
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Wendy F
3.5 stars. I'm not going to go into any sort of summary or recap for UnStrung because there isn't much to break down when it comes to reading something the length of a few short chapters. If you're interested in why I think this series is badass, check out the summary for Unwind, the first book in the series. The description alone sells the book.

Reading UnStrung didn't do much except to stir my enthusiasm for the upcoming book, as was probably the point. At first, I didn't understand why this "h
Neil (or bleed)
It's been a long time after I've finished reading Unwind and I'm quite relieved that I still remembered what happen there. There is an instance that Lev just appeared in Graveyard after he has been separated to Connor and Risa and this short story told me (will tell you) the missing scenes of the book-- what happened to Lev; where did he go.

I found it fascinating and interesting that this book delivered me to another world of unwinding. In the place where Lev has been gone, they used animal part
V
Oct 06, 2012 V rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Well, well, well. Neal Shusterman. We meet again.

I apologise profusely for my ridiculously slow progress on Unwholly. I am enjoying the story, but I think my copy has been reclaimed by the monster under my bed, since I remember it fell on the floor one night, and it wasn't there when I woke up the next day. Anyway!

With the beauty that is an Amazon gift card, I downloaded Unstrung, which is one of those odd little '0.5' novellas that are supposed to fit in between canonical events. I know Julie K
Jesica
Jul 25, 2016 Jesica rated it it was amazing
5/5 stars

Funny how morality, which always seems so black and white, can be influenced so completely by what you were raised to believe.

Unstrung is a very short story of the untold journey of Levi Calder about how he gets so much anger that turned him from a nice religious boy to a suicide bomber. It is set during Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman after Lev left CyFi and before he arrives at the Graveyard. Lev runs away from the authorities and relentlessly seeks for a sanctuary until one day he’s saved by a native American tri
Maggie
Aug 26, 2012 Maggie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
So I've basically arranged my reading (and sleeping) schedule around the fact that UnWholly comes out on Tuesday, and I've been saving this novella for today. And.... meh. I don't know if I was influenced by the fact that I know it wasn't Neal Shusterman who wrote this, or if the story just isn't up to Unwind standards, but I was neither over or underwhelmed. Did Frankie Landau-Banks say I could be whelmed? Then I am whelmed. I don't think it's a MUST READ for Unwind fans the way Ferragost is a ...more
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Cool little novella detailing Lev's missing time from Unwind. In barely 100+ pages I loved Wil, Una and Tocho, felt their love and fear and anger. It gave me a chance to find out how Lev as a character made that dramatic shift. I have to think that Neal had originally written this as part of the novel, then cut it at some later point because of how well it fits and explains Lev's position. It's short and sweet but I definitely recommend it!
Weishi
Jul 11, 2012 Weishi rated it really liked it
Guys, this comes out the day before my birthday.
Thank you, book gods.
Ash Wednesday
2.5 STARS

This was about a whole bunch of rich People of Chance (i.e. Native Americans) protected from the Unwind Accord are living their own personal dramas when a certain Lev Calder dropped in and sought asylum. One such drama Lev caught himself in is with a sixteen year old boy, Wil, with a marvelous talent for playing the guitar who only wants to be appreciated by his tribe... but isn't because it's considered selfish on Wil's part to expect so.

Okay, beyond their walls kids are running for
Hanna
Let's just...not talk about how horribly unnecessary and sad this novella is. Let's just not.
Rayne
Oct 19, 2012 Rayne rated it liked it
This one is really difficult to rate, because, although it does shed light on a very important decision a character makes in the first book and sets a bridge between the developments of the stories in both books, it felt... off. I really don't know how to explain it. First off, it is obvious Shusterman had very little to do with the writing of this short story. He might've plotted it, but filling it in went to the other author and, while she did a decent job at sounding like him, it didn't read ...more
Bailey
How did Lev Calder move from an unwillingly escaped Tithe to a clapper?

description

I figure this would tell me but...maybe I missed it?

Don't get me wrong, I liked the story. It gives us another side and another view of unwinding. The People of Chance have different laws and of course different problems and I appreciated having this glimpse. However, I'm not sure how that changed Lev into the boy who pops up again in Unwind. Where did all the anger come from? When did he decide clapping was the answer? I du
Haley
Jul 27, 2013 Haley rated it it was amazing
Somehow managed to make me cry in 60 pages. Thanks, Neal.
I really don't usually get this emotional over books, but something about Neal's style and stories can really do it to me.
Great little novella, even though the plot felt a little rushed. You should probably read it before unwholly, but if you have already read unwholly I wouldn't worry. I read unwholly before I knew unstrung existed, and it really made the same point, just in a different order. It's really just a choice of which book you c
Gabriela Paige
Jun 25, 2016 Gabriela Paige rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was very good, but I wish it was longer. It was also kind of sad. It tied up a few loose ends on Lev's story in Unwind.
Tyler Barnes
Mar 04, 2013 Tyler Barnes rated it it was amazing
What happens whenever you make a short story between the first and second books in a series? You get a 1.5 book! After he split up from Connor and Risa in Unwind , Lev went on a journey where he met a person who called himself Cy-Fi. Eventually, the two of them split up and then many parts of Lev's story was lost and confusing in the rest of Unwind . That's what this book is about.

After many people and critics asked him about Lev's story, he got so many comments that he decided to write this boo
Duffy Pratt
Sep 04, 2013 Duffy Pratt rated it liked it
This type of book is a tough sell for an author. It tells the story of what happened to Lev from the time he left CyFi to sometime before he appeared in the Graveyard. As such, it fills a hole in the story arcs in Unwind. But was there a need to fill such a hole? If so, then the author is pretty much admitting that he blew it when writing Unwind. If not, then what's the point of having this story.

Ultimately, I suppose its just for fun. And I also suspect that he let this story be released becaus
Claudia
Oh, my...Shusterman calls this 1.5 for a reason...it's a story within UNWIND...a story from Lev's point of view that covers time from his leaving CyFi until his appearance at the Camp. He ends up in an Indian reservation...supposedly safe ground from AWOL bounty hunters. There he exposes his initial ignorance and prejudice of native ways, to a deep respect and reverence. He meets Wil, a gifted guitarist who is suffering through real identity concerns...where does he fit in? How can he contribute ...more
Alicehaibara
May 27, 2015 Alicehaibara rated it really liked it
Pemanasan sebelum masuk ke buku 2.
Dan di tengah-tengah pemanasan itu, seperti buku pertamanya yang sangat luar biasa dan bikin depresi, kali ini aku harus membaca sesuatu yang membuat depresi di tengah hari-hari yang depresi #sigh dramaticaly.
Sejak di buku pertama, selain Connor, Lev memang menjadi tokoh yang sesuatu bagiku. Senang rasanya melihat proses bagaimana dia menyadari bahwa apa yang dia percaya selama ini salah. Sedikit banyak secara tak langsung aku mempelajari bagaimana caranya seo
Scarlett
Jul 20, 2016 Scarlett rated it really liked it
This was a short little story about Lev's time in between CyFi and when he gets to the Graveyard. I was hoping it would explain how he got to the Graveyard, but it didn't. The story was interesting and a little sad, and I enjoyed the way life was described on the rez, and I liked the characters, but overall didn't add any missing pieces to the story as a whole.

EDIT: Now that I've started reading UnWholly I think I get it!

EDIT again: Just finished UnWholly, and while this isn't critical to unders
Rachel Lightwood
I don't know what I expected with Unstrung, but it wasn't this. It was completely pointless! I know that these sorts of in-between novellas are usually written to occupy the fans until the release of the next sequel but seriously? This was just... meh. Maybe it was just my dislike of Lev or my confusion with the entire Slot-Mongers introduction that prohibited me from liking this but I just couldn't get into it. Thankfully it was blissfully short and easy to fly through. It wasn't anything speci ...more
Brock Yarbro
Jan 10, 2013 Brock Yarbro rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful surprise. I'm really glad Neal decided to write this to help bridge the time gap for Lev. I'm also really glad he included some incite into the ways of life of Chance Folk as well. My only criticism is that I wish it could have been longer. The peacefulness of the reservation seems like a million miles away from the madness going on outside it's walls. I also would have loved Una and Wil to have had more of a story as I was really starting to love their characters.
Eddie
Jun 30, 2012 Eddie rated it it was amazing
WOW 11 chapters of AWESOMENESS Even brought me to tears. We know now..why this book is thus titled. we know now based on the brief synopsis of UnWholly, this short book will have major implications. and I wonder... how we seen Risa interact with Conner when he got Rolands arm.. how we will see Una interact with Cam in the upcoming book..

and Lev....... brings such a deep intense depth to this book in which i can relate to.
Daphne
UnStrung Is a short companion story to Unwind and tells us Lev's story during that book. It fit perfectly with the bigger story and showed a new side of this incredibly detailed fictional world. It was a nice little story that explained Lev's change and his thirst for revenge in Unwind. Despite the fact that this entire story takes place during another book, it stands well on its own.
LibraryCin
This short story follows Lev at a point in time when he disappeared during the events of Unwind. He escapes into a Native American reserve where he befriends a 16 year old musician and learns that on the reserves, they are (mostly) safe from being unwound due to signed treaties.

It was ok. I was actually liking the new setting and characters, but being a short story, it ended too soon, I thought. I wanted more with these characters.
Myndi
Apr 13, 2015 Myndi rated it really liked it
I wish we'd gotten a little MORE into what happened to Lev. I love the story that we got, but I'd love to see what happens after he leaves the rez until he gets to the Graveyard. I was very sad about all the things that went down toward the end, but it does give a little insight into what made Lev so bitter in Unwind. A great little addition to the series, if you like getting to know characters better.
kari
Jul 05, 2012 kari rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, 5-star, 2012
I just want to lie down and sob for an hour or two. Be back to write a review when I've composed myself.
So. *deep breath*
This story tells a little more about Lev, what happens after leaving CyFi and there is more added to why he comes to feel the way he does, why he becomes so filled with hatred that he is willing to sacrifice himself. I was not expecting what happens in this story at all.
I hope there will be some tie in to the overall arc of what happened here.
Heartbreaking.
Sonja Arlow
Sep 06, 2012 Sonja Arlow rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars

I have had to to revise my rating after starting book 2 (Unwholey) as this novella is really not as good as the actual two books

This novella fits in between the first book "Unwind" and the second "Unwholly". It gives some insight into an alternative community who do not believe in human unwinding for organ donation and focus on Levi however since starting the 2nd book "Unwholley) I think its best to read this one last.

Wendy F
What a good sad short for this trilogy. What made Lev so full of vengeance that he wanted to be a clapper? Well, this'll do it.

So sad.

(view spoiler)?
Anni
Sep 14, 2013 Anni rated it really liked it
WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME NEAL SHUSTERMAN?
I MEAN REALLY
THAT IS DISGUSTING AND HEARTBREAKING
AND I LIKED WIL SO MUCH, Y O U C A N T D O T H I S
Play Book Tag: UnStrung / Neal Shusterman & Michelle Knowlden. 3 stars 1 6 Dec 28, 2016 07:38PM
*Best Sellers* Bo...: Unstrung:Novellas 4 5 Oct 30, 2015 03:40AM
*Best Sellers* Bo...: Unstrung:The Cover 4 4 Oct 30, 2015 03:35AM
  • Endurance (Razorland, #1.5)
  • Ruled (Birthmarked, #2.5)
  • Fireflies
  • Isolation (Partials Sequence, #0.5)
  • The First Star to Fall (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1.5)
  • Portrait of a Marshal: The 2nd Unhidden Story (Starters, #1.25)
  • The New World (Chaos Walking, #0.5)
  • Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • 1.4 (Point 4, #2)
  • Going Dark (Blackout #0.5)
  • As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #2.5)
  • Dress Your Marines in White (Monument 14, #0.5)
  • Regret (Possession, #1.5)
  • Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
  • In The Land Of The Dead (Rot & Ruin, #1.5)
  • Hare Moon (The Forest of Hands and Teeth #0.1)
  • Allies (Insignia #1.5)
  • Prophet (Struck, #0.5)
19564
Award-winning author Neal Shusterman grew up in Brooklyn, New York, where he began writing at an early age. After spending his junior and senior years of high school at the American School of Mexico City, Neal went on to UC Irvine, where he made his mark on the UCI swim team, and wrote a successful humor column. Within a year of graduating, he had his first book deal, and was hired to write a movi ...more
More about Neal Shusterman...

Unwind Dystology (4 books)
  • Unwind (Unwind, #1)
  • UnWholly (Unwind, #2)
  • UnSouled (Unwind, #3)
  • UnDivided (Unwind, #4)

“We learn many things, from many people as opposed to your world, where you're taught all the same things, by the same people.” 1 likes
“But we People of Chance do believe in people of second chance.” 1 likes