Start by marking “Self Publishing Books 101: Helping You Get Published and Noticed” as Want to Read:
Self Publishing Books 101: Helping You Get Published and Noticed

Self Publishing Books 101: Helping You Get Published and Noticed

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  159 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
**NOTE: This version is outdated and has been retired. You can get the updated version here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
Published March 29th 2012 by Createspace (first published March 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Self Publishing Books 101, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Self Publishing Books 101

Martin
Jun 26, 2012 Martin rated it it was amazing
I have published seven ebooks on Amazon Kindle, and have been wondering about the logistics of also issuing them as print versions. So I was attracted to "Self Publishing Books 101."

The author takes readers through all the nuts and bolts of publishing your own book in a concise and clearly written manner. I think that every single question I had is answered, from costs to publisher options (she recommends Amazon's CreateSpace, but also discusses other companies) to cover design and much more.

She
Donna Smallin Kuper
Feb 19, 2013 Donna Smallin Kuper rated it it was amazing
This is another great book from Shelley Hitz that is now in my reference library. Self-Publishing is an excellent primer with spot-on advice and a slew of links to very helpful resources. Like she says, "If you can dream it, you can do it" to which I would add "with this book." Please note: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
David
Jun 25, 2014 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, I would like to know who edited/proofread this. I find it hard to take them seriously on writing a solid book when there are countless typos and misplaced words. Just a quick run-through by a beta reader would've cleared this up.

The information in the book was good, not great. It is a very brief overview of the self-publishing process as a whole. But, of course, these ladies aren't just selling books, they're selling services on their website as well, which they did not hesitate to pl
Lynda
Dec 10, 2014 Lynda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book was first published in 2012 and updated in 2014.
The Title has also changed to:
Self-Publishing Books 101 by Shelley Hitz andHeather Hart.

This book is packed with information. There are three parts to this book:

- Foundation for Publishing Success
- -
Lisa Blair
May 13, 2014 Lisa Blair rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
This book explains in a non-technical, easy to understand, step-by-step way how to publish your print book on Amazon using CreateSpace. (Yes, CreateSpace leads you through it, but it can be confusing to us non-technical people!) And this book gives places for free templates (some of CreateSpaces book templates do not work) which saves time and major frustration.

I've already worked through those issues, so what the intrigue for me was in doing my book in other translations and in doing by book in
James Minter
May 09, 2014 James Minter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: newbie and recent authors
Despite what many writers think of publishing house – dinosaurs, commercially driven, old technology- they do many things for authors that, as a self-publisher, you have to do for yourself. Once you go down this path you soon realise to be successful you need a wide range of skills and depth of knowledge on subjects not normal encountered. To have an accessible guide based on hard won experience provided by a pair of successful writers is a real bonus for aspiring, new, recent and seasoned write ...more
Melinda
Some Great Downloads

Some Great Downloads

It becomes clear after reading for awhile that this book is a come hither for Me Hitz's coaching services for self publishing authors. She clearly knows what she is doing, and the book provides some very valuable downloads, including Make Your Words Sell, which is worth the price of admission all by itself.

All the steps from choosing a Print-on-Demand publisher to creating your book template, your book cover, and getting it published. Most of the informat
Amanda Leigh
Feb 24, 2014 Amanda Leigh rated it really liked it
I have been wanting to do more research on self-publishing for a while so I bought two books on the subject. I have yet to read the other one, but am planning on doing so pretty soon.

This book was a very good overview of the world of self-publishing today. You get information on the types of self-publishing companies out there as well as a list of the author's recommendations. There is an overview of the cover design process. It also gives an overview of the following: self-publishing costs, sel
Kim Cox
Aug 23, 2014 Kim Cox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Self-Publishing Books 101 is a free Kindle eBook on Amazon.com right now.This book is very informative and helpful and I gave it five stars; although, I don't believe this book should be the first book read on self-publishing. The mere volume of information can be overwhelming for someone just beginning to think about self-publishing. I didn't realize this, since it wasn't the first book I'd read and I'm a bit technologically inclined, until an author friend pointed out her confusion, and I will ...more
Tracy Krauss
Feb 25, 2013 Tracy Krauss rated it really liked it
Lots of great tips - a fairly thorough 'How To' manual.
Janet
Feb 18, 2015 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
Good information, supplemented by lots of links to external content -- not all of which was written by the authors.

The authors clearly practice what they preach in regard to giving away some content in order to gain readers, but unlike some free 'books' which are nothing but sales brochures, this one has actual substance.

Bottom line: I feel like I now have a good understanding of the steps involved in self-publishing, and know where I can go to get more detailed information about any one step.
Sonya
Feb 19, 2014 Sonya rated it really liked it
Shelves: marketing
Shelley provided a step-by-step process to self-publish any book. The booklet (not book) gave sources for templates, free and otherwise, that would allow for various options. She took much of the uncertainty out of the process. When there were options, she provided charts that allowed you to see the pros and cons of each option to accurately choose what is best for your needs. A helpful booklet.
Bonnie Jacobs hessler
This is a great book for those people who are looking into getting into Self Publishing. The book includes a step by step plan of action. I like the fact that it includes extras such as publishing ebooks, doing audiobooks and translating your book into a foreign language.

Another thing I also, liked was there was lots on links throughout the book on the self publishing process and a newsletter to sign up.
Carrie Daws
Dec 20, 2014 Carrie Daws rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
As I've come to expect from Shelley and Heather, this book was full of encouragement, tips from what they've learned, and step-by-step instructions where appropriate. They start at the very beginning of the process, so if you have published anything before, some of it can be skipped. But if you know very little or are interested in self-publishing, this book is a great place to start.
Whisper Poet
Mar 23, 2015 Whisper Poet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chock full of resources, this book gives a thorough overview of things to do when self-publishing a book. The authors are also wonderful about providing links to resources to consider for each step of the process. This was a great book to read to get a framework in mind for action.
Raychel Rose
Jun 05, 2015 Raychel Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gave a lot of great advice other than just how to market your book. But I'm not giving it a five star rating because it contained a ton of links which I couldn't check out, and it seemed like they were just trying to lead you to their website than just let you read the book.
Kimberly McBee
Mar 23, 2014 Kimberly McBee rated it really liked it
This book has very good tips that were helpful in marketing my ebook. The information was presented clearly and concisely and had current and pertinent information to indie authors.
Sheldon Newton
Apr 06, 2015 Sheldon Newton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good and practical book for the new author desiring to learn how to market his or her book. I have read it and found it extremely practical. I recommend it highly.
Nikay Rountree
Great Resource

I really received a great deal of insight from this book. I encourage anyone interested in self-publishing to read it.
Suzanne
Feb 09, 2015 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very informative, thorough reference for self-publishing. Thank you to Shelley and Heather for the great tips.
Shana
Aug 24, 2015 Shana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Great introduction to the world of self-publishing. Simplifies a complex process into actionable items.
LaNeisha
Apr 10, 2015 LaNeisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely LOVED this book!!!! It helped me with my option to self publish in so many ways. Will be reading more of their books.
Peta-Gaye Taylor
Jan 21, 2015 Peta-Gaye Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative; an easy read; helps you save money!
Mandi Lynn
Mar 17, 2013 Mandi Lynn rated it liked it
You can tell the book is meant to be an ebook because there are links to websites. I also should have looked at the page count before I bought it because it very short and in no way gives you what you need to know about self-publishing. There are a few errors which shows the author probably didn't get the 40 page book copy edited. It gives you a bit of an overview of the process--which is good if you are a self-publishing newbie--but you'll defiantly need to do a lot more research before you pub ...more
Darren Sapp
Mar 20, 2014 Darren Sapp rated it really liked it
Very basic, but still good info.
Jesse Walters
Jan 14, 2015 Jesse Walters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read a lot of self publishing books over the last few months. This one not only validated the findings I've read in other books but also brought new ones to the table. It's written in a matter-of-fact way to help you understand it quickly and get your book published.
Michael E.
Jul 21, 2013 Michael E. rated it really liked it
Good book to get you started. If you have no idea where to start, Shelley gives you a nice outline on what to do, and what resources are available. You can learn everything you need to self publish through your own research (I've published several books before reading this book), but Shelley does a good job of laying things out for you in this book.
Derek
Jun 06, 2013 Derek rated it really liked it
For what it is--free, 101-type Basic Tips--Shelley does a great job. What else can you say, it's a quick read and it gives you everything you need to get the job done. I could really tell all she wants to do is help you succeed and get whatever it is published however you want! Great example, thanks for charging the way, Shelley!
Sky Diamond
Nov 07, 2013 Sky Diamond rated it it was amazing
Very helpful, practical and inspiring. Easy to read and understand. Great for anyone looking at getting into self-publishing!
Emily
Jun 10, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
This book had a lot of useful tips and ideas. I would recommend it for the price. A nice, quick read.
  • How to Write Great Blog Posts that Engage Readers
  • The Secrets to Ebook Publishing Success
  • Book Marketing is Dead: Book Promotion Secrets You MUST Know BEFORE You Publish Your Book
  • Pinterest Savvy: How I Got 1 Million+ Followers (Strategies, Plans, and Tips to Grow Your Business with Pinterest)
  • Let's Get Visible: How To Get Noticed And Sell More Books (Let's Get Digital, #2)
  • Publish on Amazon Kindle with Kindle Direct Publishing
  • We Are Not Alone: The Writer's Guide to Social Media
  • How to Make, Market and Sell Ebooks All for Free
  • Social Media Marketing for Publishers
  • Blood Rivals: The Biographies of "Twilight" Stars Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner
  • Conscious Calm: Keys to Freedom From Stress and Worry
  • The Crowdfunding Bible: How to Raise Money for Any Startup, Video Game or Project
  • Digital Minds: 12 Things Every Business Needs to Know about Digital Marketing
  • Oracle of the Shapeshifters: Mystic Familiars for Times of Transformation and Change
  • HOW TO START A BLOG THAT PEOPLE WILL READ: How to create a website, write about a topic you love, develop a loyal readership, and make six figures doing it. (THE MAKE MONEY FROM HOME LIONS CLUB)
  • The Story Template: Conquer Writer's Block Using the Universal Structure of Story
  • Create Your Writer Platform: The Key to Building an Audience, Selling More Books, and Finding Success as an Author
  • World Wide Rave: Creating Triggers That Get Millions of People to Spread Your Ideas and Share Your Stories
Shelley Hitz is an award-winning and international best-selling author. However, most importantly she is a wife, daughter, sister, friend and follower of Christ. She has been ministering alongside her husband, CJ, since 1998 and her main passion is to share God's truth and the freedom in Christ she has found with others. She does this through her books, websites and speaking engagements.

She is als
More about Shelley Hitz...

“Many people have related the process of being an author to that of being a parent. Writing your book is like the pregnancy part. Developing your book is part of who you are and is constantly there. You are always thinking about how great it will be, but it is just the beginning. Towards the end your anticipation and anxiety grow. And then you finally reach the publishing process—which is like the delivery. But then you are left with a lifetime of book rearing. The real journey doesn’t end at publication, it begins.” 0 likes