Daisy's War

Daisy's War

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  33 reviews
In 1914, Daisy lives in the quiet New Zealand valley where her family has farmed for generations. A cherished only child with an adored older cousin, and surrounded by a sprawling extended family, her world seems a warm and safe one.

But the Great War is casting its long shadow over New Zealand. Daisy watches in growing fear as more and more of the men leave to fight in Eur...more
ebook
Published 2012 by Smashwords Edition

Kim
Shayne Parkinson has done it again. I am riveted by her tales from New Zealand, a place I knew next to nothing about prior to reading "Sentence of Marriage", but have become fascinated by. I look forward to the next book in the series and have become a big fan. If you are looking for an author that connects with you from the beginning, whose character development is impeccable, and who keeps you up late into the night wondering what happens next, Shayne Parkinson is for you. Highly recommend.
Beverly Edberg
Well I have finished "Daisy's War" and it is a great read. Although I had to wind my brain backward on who some of the characters were. I am going to make it a habit now to re-read the book before so that I can refresh where and who I will be dealing with in the new book. Ok - here is my problem. I want the next book NOW. Shayne the Texas group is growing and everyone wants to know have you started the next book? Remember this group is rowdy and impatient. So what can we do to take some of your...more
Diane
You simply have to read all 5 books in this series to understand how good they are! Thanks Shayne! Can't wait for the next book!
Liza
I wasn't thrilled that the book was from a child's perspective. It was ok, but I didn't love it as much as the first four books.

(view spoiler)...more
Elaine
I really loved the first four novels in this series, but the shift to the perspective of a child made this fifth installment a lot less enjoyable. Daisy is sweet enough and I wouldn't have minded a short story from her perspective, or having her be one narrator out of several (well, I guess there are a couple of scenes from Eddie, but same thing with the perspective of a child). But I'd really like to get the adult take on what is happening to the Leith/Kelly/Stewart family. (For instance, I'd r...more
Jazmine
I knew this was going to be good, the moment I found it on Amazon. I was so happy when I found it. I had read the entire Promises to Keep saga over the summer, and I was gutted when it came to an end. Not because it had a bad ending. Just because a story that I had fallen in love with had ended.
I learned a new chapter to history that I had never known.
History at school was not my favourite subject, mostly because of how it was taught. Oh, the monotony!
Parkinson taught me history in a way that...more
Liz Murphy
I have really enjoyed all this series...I have loved watching them grow and move forward... I think amy has changed dramatically a complete transformation, she has settled very well in Auckland, remembering her earlier hardships is done with difficulty, but she hasnt forgotten when she came from and her family still there, it's very nice to read about her visits to the farm. I love that daisy and Eddie are so close, more like brother and sister than cousins....they don't let a little thing like...more
Sue1958
Oh I was so disappointed in this read.

I loved the others in this series. I remember when first getting my Kindle and this authors first book in a series became available to download for free. Sentence of a Marriage. I loved it so much I bought the others in this series. I couldn't wait for this final one to be published. I was so disappointed with the outcome though.

Daisy was the centre of this entire book, the war bit came in towards the end. Daisy never grew up to be an adult in this book and...more
Alice
I have truly enjoyed this series and this last book did not disappoint.
Lois Russ
All these are good. Easy to follow and keeps you interested.
Elaine
This is the fifth book in this series and it was not as interesting as the previous four books. It was a very quick read and the author spent too much time on trivial details such as a play the children put on or the details of farm life which were thoroughly covered in previous books. This book was a letdown after reading the previous four books. I hope the author continues this series as there are definitely more stories for the characters, but I hope the author returns with a book about ALL t...more
Patsy Chastang
Daisy' s War (Promises to Keep series #5) was a joy to read the author touched on every emotion you have in your body.. It brings all the characters to a very good ending. It's about the war in New Zealand and how some of the family men had to leave home and go to war. The author focused on family matters at home which I thought was really good instead of the war issues. I think this series was one of the best, the author kept on track all the way though the series. 'Promises to Keep' series. Sh...more
Geraldine Tsaftarides
This book is keeps dragging on. I love all the other books but this one is losing my interest . I'm only at 25%
Mandy
I can tell this one is building into more stories, but it got a little long in some spots. As usual, there's a lot of begetting happening, which is part of things, but sometimes it clutters up the story. :)
Patricia
This book is the last in the Promises To Keep-The series was great. I found myself unable to put the books down. I got the first one as a free book from Amazon and bought the rest of the series when I finished the first book. This series tells how women were allowed to be treated and the hardships of living in the middle 1800's to the early 1900's. I am hoping that there will be a followup on this book.
Sharon
I was a little disappointed, I expected it to be as good as the other 4, but it's lacking.
Jackie Leitson

After reading the other novels leading up to this one I had high hopes, but sadly I was really disappointed. I LOVED the other ones and highly recommend them. Daisy's War to me lacked so much depth and detail. The last 100-150 pages were much better but I really didn't like the ending. I felt like maybe the author rushed this one.
Garnet
Another great book by Shayne Parkinson. Another generation in the Lieth-Stewart family. Loved it as we all as the previous books. Can hardly wait for another.
Clarissa
another beautiful book. love this author!
Kay
OMG! Shayne I loved Daisy's War

It is amazing to be back revisiting characters from previous books! Daisy's take on the war and it's effects at home resonated with me. The connection with Daisy & Eddie I hope continues in the next book....there is a next book right?

Loved it!!
Amy
I love this series. It's nice to see how the characters grow and change. It was different reading this one from Daisy's perspective and not Amy's but was not a negative by any means. Will definitely read the next book if one comes out.
Mary
I enjoyed this book although it didn't take me like it did Shayne Parkinson's preceding books. I am looking forward to hear the next book in the series.
Vicky
Loved the series. A simple story of rural New Zealand with all its ups and downs. Good things happen, bad things happen but life must go on.
Pragmatic with interesting characters.
Evelyn Wilson
Read Sentence of Marriage, Book 1; Mud and Gold, Book 2; Settling the Account, Book 3; A Second Chance; Daisy's War; ALL wonderful, long books about New Zealand!
Rosa
Aug 22, 2012 Rosa rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Barnes and Noble
On chapter 5. Enjoying the book so far. Daisy's War
Lori Conrad
Love it

can't wait until.the next book , love this series. Highly recommend theses books, you will fall in love with this family.
Amber Bunce
I am infatuated with this series... but this was not my favorite. Far more predictable than any of the others in the series. It just ended.
Wendy
Very good series. Wish we would have found out how the rest of the family fared, not just Daisy's. Maybe there will be another book?
Kirstie

A lot of characters to keep track of despite me having read the previous three.
But a good finish of the set of five
The Play? 1 4 Sep 27, 2012 10:56AM
Sentence of Marriage (Promises to Keep, #1) Mud and Gold (Promises to Keep, #2) Settling the Account (Promises to Keep, #3) A Second Chance (Promises to Keep, #4) All I Want