Start by marking “Jacob's Journal of Doom: The Good, the Bad, and the Hilarious Life of an Almost-Deacon” as Want to Read:

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  42 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
When Jacob learns about the importance of keeping a journal, he begins writing about and sketching his experiences at church, Scouts, school, and at home--the good, the bad, and the hilarious.
Published July 31st 2012 by Deseret Book Company

To ask other readers questions about Jacob's Journal of Doom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jacob's Journal of Doom

Shanda
Aug 21, 2012 Shanda rated it it was amazing
My Review

I may be thirty-something years old but I found Jacob’s Journal of Doom to be well-written, enjoyable and highly entertaining. I laughed out loud several times, knowing there were probably a few things that my kids were too young to realize were funny. (From before they were born, not maturity level.)

Woven into the story were themes of justice, mercy, forgiveness, missionary work and family unity. These are presented through Jacob’s experiences, frustrations, and lessons learned. I thin
Erika B. (SOS BOOKS)
3.8567 stars to you Jacob's Journal of Doom! This is one I would totally recommend to people at my job. There were a lot of funny parts in this book that made me giggle and I know a lot of grade school aged kids that will love this book! Even adults like me who are suckers for fun middle reader books. It was a good mix of funny and lesson learning! If you're LDS and like a good comic book story-mazeltovah! Have at this book! That being said I just couldn't give it a higher review because there i ...more
Shelly
Aug 17, 2012 Shelly rated it it was amazing
This gets five stars because my 10 year old, 8 year old, and 7 year old each read it without prompting. They loved it and giggled sharing their favorite parts. Of course I had already finished it and I found it very amusing myself. Then an 8 year old friend stopped by and wouldn't put the book down. She only agreed to leave our house (because she wasn't finished) when her mother agreed to buy her a copy of her own.
Diane
Sep 01, 2012 Diane rated it it was amazing
I wanted to read this because two granddaughters gave it rave reviews. And they were right - I wish they had made books like this when I was eleven! I highly recommend this to every young person and everyone else who can remember being young. It's quick, easy, and lots of fun.
Tana
Aug 14, 2012 Tana rated it it was amazing
VERY funny book about a young man that goes to LDS church with daily troubles such as bullies and three sisters. I finished this book in about an hour, and there were many moments when I laughed out loud! I recommend this book to everyone, very enjoyable and a quick read.
Kurt
Jul 30, 2012 Kurt rated it really liked it
As humorous and enjoyable as Diary of a Wimpy Kid with the added bonus of having a few really good inspirational stories. Great illustrations too. Kids, and grown-ups who can remember what it was like to be a kid, should all be able to relate.
Shauna
Sep 03, 2012 Shauna rated it it was amazing
I started reading this book at lunch and took it home to finish that night...yes it was THAT good!
A really fun sense of humor and amazing illustrations makes this book easy to read.
Very similar to Diary of a Wimpy Kid, but with an LDS twist.
Jane
Jul 24, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it
Well done! I was hesitant at first, I love the Wimpy Kid, but this was funny and even had some subtle approaches to the gospel. Any kid 9-12 would love it, especially boys.
Gkeller123
Jul 30, 2012 Gkeller123 rated it really liked it
Cute book, great for boys 8-12. Like the Wimpy Kids books, but written for the LDS audience. No inappropriate jokes or drawings.
Kaylynn Johnsen
Aug 23, 2012 Kaylynn Johnsen rated it really liked it
This book is just fantastic. I think every LDS family will enjoy this book. Jacob's story rings so true it has you laughing at any age.
Catellis
May 19, 2015 Catellis rated it it was amazing
Five stars on behalf of my son. I give it a solid 4. My son loves the Wimpy Kid series so I was curious to see if this one lived up to his high expectations. He said he loved it and immediately wanted to know if there was another one he could read. I read it and realized why he liked it so much. It had many parallels to his life with church, Scouts and younger siblings (who also like My Little Pony :) I could hear him laugh out loud while reading. Heck, I laughed during the book because of these ...more
Sierra
Aug 18, 2012 Sierra rated it really liked it
Shelves: deseret-book
Excellent book for boys on school, church, family, and life in general. It has a great message and was a fun read.
Wendy Whiting
Aug 03, 2012 Wendy Whiting rated it liked it
Great book for kids! Teaches all the right stuff and is still cool!
Bryce
Aug 07, 2012 Bryce rated it it was amazing
Great little book in the format of Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
Isaac Stewart
Jun 25, 2012 Isaac Stewart rated it it was amazing
I'm biased, yes, but I also think this a great book, especially for LDS kids who want to be able to relate to a main character who shares a lot of their beliefs and challenges.

But beyond that, the book is just a load of fun: fun writing, fun pictures, fun format. Not only will kids who love to read devour this, it might just hook some reluctant readers, too.

And I think adults will get a kick out of it, as well.
Joe
Jan 30, 2013 Joe rated it it was ok
In this offshoot of the Wimpy Kid vein that so many have followed, there are flashes of hilarity, but overall, I was non-plussed. It's cheesy, but not overly cheddared, especially for LDS fiction. Very clean. A little too much happily-ever-after for me.
Catherine
Nov 12, 2013 Catherine rated it really liked it
I absolutely LOVED this book. It is so much better than "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" mostly because of some good examples and spiritual lessons. I highly recommend this book to other Mormons and those seeking for a good influence.
Linzy Stahle
Just as funny and entertaining as Diary of a Wimpy Kid, I'll recommend it to all my nieces and nephews!
Heather
Jan 16, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
Luke loved this one! Hope more follow soon.
Erica
Dec 26, 2012 Erica rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome!
Stevie
Stevie marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
LeRoyne
LeRoyne marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Sam
Sam added it
Aug 14, 2014
Ethan
Ethan rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2014
Julie Carlsen
Julie Carlsen rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2014
Austin Smith
Austin Smith rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Jaycie
Jaycie rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2014
Alexander Jones
Alexander Jones rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2014