Start by marking “Ghost Drums” as Want to Read:
Ghost Drums

Ghost Drums

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  29 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The vampire, Lazarus Kalon, is intent upon stealing the power of a shape shifter, a shaman of the Kwakiutl people. Yet, as Lazarus moves in on the shaman and the Kwakiutl village, another supernatural being comes into play, a demon with his own agenda for the Kwakiutl and who is very aware of Lazarus' presence and intent.

Now, tormented by this supernatural being and the m
ebook, 1st, 16 pages
Published March 26th 2012 by Matt Cole (first published February 20th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Drums, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Drums

Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceTwilight by Stephenie MeyerDark Lover by J.R. WardMarked by P.C. Cast
Most Awesome Vampire Books
160th out of 301 books — 433 voters
Summer Angel by Samantha JacobeyLife is a Circus Run by a Platypus by Allison HawnBeneath the Willow by Gemma FarrowGalactic Energies by Luca  RossiThe Meat Market by James Chalk
Indie Novellas, Novelettes, and Short Stories
236th out of 789 books — 1,010 voters

More lists with this book...

Carl
Sep 26, 2012 Carl rated it liked it
Matt Cole’s “Ghost Drums” is the perfect short story for a dark fall evening when the wind is moaning and a branch scraps across the window glass. In general, I don’t really like to read short stories, but there is always an exception to the rule and Cole’s story is one. “Ghost Drums” is the story of Lazarus Kalon, who seeks to increase his already substantial powers by drinking the blood of a powerful shape shifter.

Set in 1878 in British Columbia, the antihero is Lazarus, a very old and very p
Simon Jenner
Jul 06, 2012 Simon Jenner rated it it was amazing
Vampires, shape shifters, ghosts and more.

Set in British Columbia, during the late nineteenth century, Ghost Drums is the story of Lazarus Kalon, who seeks to increase his already substantial powers by drinking the blood of a powerful shape shifter.

This is the second story I have read of Matt Cole’s and I was glad to find that his wonderfully embroidered prose is also evident in this nicely crafted tale. Scenes are deliciously set and the atmosphere perfectly dismal, the ideal setting for such
Grampy
Oct 21, 2012 Grampy rated it really liked it
"Ghost Drums" by Matt Cole is a very unusual and wickedly creepy tale of the supernatural. Narrated by an undefined creature of the night, it carries us through the ghostly history of a primitive people who no longer exist, yet have not left this plane of existence.

In addition to that, there is another undefined creature of the night at play here, which happens to also be a shape-shifter. Consequently we never know when that creature is part of the current action, or if it is off in the jungle s
Abigail
Jul 08, 2012 Abigail rated it really liked it
This is the perfect short story on a stormy afternoon for those of us that like traditional vampire myths with a bit of a twist.

Originally published in 2003, I had discovered it while sitting in some office or bar, or coffee shop while leafing through some esoteric magazine. Quickly jotting down his name in my moleskin. A few years later I ran across his name again,same story. I just really dug the vampire, Lazarus.

Matt Cole writes shorts with a very non-sparkling vampire named Lazarus. His wri
Elke
I already read and loved The Blood of Cowards so it was only natural to read another story by the author. Ghost Drums proved a satisfying read as well, though imho it is not as elaborately and carefully written, which is my only criticism here. I wonder if Ghost Drums was written before The Blood of Cowards, which would show nicely a great improvement in the author's writing skills.

Ghost Drums contains much more action and some paragraphs appeared crowded, so that I wished the author would have
H.G. Estok
Jun 30, 2013 H.G. Estok rated it it was amazing
I haven't been a fan of vampires since Joss Whedon's ANGEL; the TWILIGHT series kind of ruined them for me. But here in Cole's short story we have a more Angel-like than Edward-like vamp by the name of Lazarus (undead for 1800+ years) who wants to continue evolving as an unperson. This involves hunting a shape-shifter whose blood he can drink and assume its powers. But not everything goes according to plan. Cole excels at establishing mood through vivid description, making the reader feel like w ...more
Sónia Tigol
Jul 07, 2014 Sónia Tigol rated it liked it
This was a good sort story.
The characters were interesting and the plot was good.
This book was a good reading.
Amyperez
May 28, 2015 Amyperez rated it liked it
wish it was longer; I enjoyed the storyline and wish it was fleshed out more.
Kathy
Dec 27, 2013 Kathy rated it it was ok
Didn't realize it was a short story. A vampire in 1890's North America discovers an abandoned Native American village and finds the reason for it's abandonment. Needs editing for word usage.
Missy
Jun 09, 2013 Missy rated it liked it
To be quite honest, I didn't like this book as much as I thought I would. I really liked the vampire character and the setting. However, I think it needed more dialogue, a spell check and maybe a back story about Lazarus. All in all it was OK.
Denyse Cohen
Jul 11, 2012 Denyse Cohen rated it liked it
Beautifully written with plenty of imagery and suspense. I wish I could have learned more about Lazarus but all and all it's a very entertaining read, worth every penny!
Zenrin
Jan 11, 2013 Zenrin rated it really liked it
Another great short story about Lazarus!!
AH
Nov 22, 2012 AH marked it as to-read
Kindle free download 11/22/12.
Bendisiana
Bendisiana marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Marko Žilić
Marko Žilić marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Fabiana Alvarez
Fabiana Alvarez marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Zee
Zee marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Essie
Essie added it
Sep 16, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Wordsl Dreamsl
Wordsl Dreamsl marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Brittany
Brittany rated it it was ok
Aug 02, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Sylvia williams
Sylvia williams rated it it was ok
May 31, 2015
Jennifer Leach
Jennifer Leach marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Rohan Bishnoi
Rohan Bishnoi marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Cari
Cari added it
Apr 16, 2015
Gracie
Gracie marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sci-Fi, fantasy a...: Three FREE short stories 1 3 Jul 11, 2014 01:25AM
Adult Vampire/Par...: Three FREE short stories 1 11 Jul 06, 2014 01:33PM
We PROMOTE Fantas...: Three FREE short stories 1 3 Jul 06, 2014 12:58PM
VAMPS-R-US: Three FREE short stories 1 4 Jul 05, 2014 11:34PM
Goodreads Authors...: Three Free Short Stories 1 4 Jul 05, 2014 11:26PM
Matt was born in a Vancouver, British Columbia in 1967. He earned a undergraduate degree in kinesiology at the University of British Columbia and a graduate degree in exercise physiology the University of Victoria.

He was first inspired to write speculative fiction while in college, during a speculative fiction literature course. Since then, in addition to short stories, Matt has experimented with
More about Matt Cole...