Start by marking “Code (Virals, #3)” as Want to Read:
Code (Virals, #3)

Code (Virals #3)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  5,083 ratings  ·  497 reviews
The Virals are put to the ultimate test when they find a geocache containing an ornate puzzle box. Shelton decodes the cipher inside, only to find more tantalizing clues left by "The Gamemaster." A second, greater geocache is within reach--if the Virals are up to the challenge.

But the hunt takes a dark turn when Tory locates the other box--a fake bomb, along with a siniste
Published March 12th 2013 by Putnam Juvenile (first published January 1st 2013)

Abby
You know, one of the best feelings in the world is going to bed and knowing that the next morning the next book in one of your favorite series is going to be on your kindle. But that's second-to-best to actually reading the thing.

Sentimentality aside, I loved this book!

The characters are back in full swing. Tory is either first or second on my all time favorite charcters list.

I began to feel uneasy about Ben. His feud with Jason escalates to the point where the Virals have to drag him awa
C M
Sep 29, 2012 C M marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
My god. I think I'm going to die, for good and bad reasons.

Want to hear them?

1. This book comes out in 2013?!?!
[image error]
I think I will go live like a hermit till this book comes out.

2.The cover sucks, to put it bluntly.

I mean, Reichs gives us this,

Then gives us this (in which Ben looks retarded, otherwise a great cover),
description

And for the third book we get this?

You tell me what's wrong with that picture.

Now you get to hear the positive stuff!

3. We get Tory back! I love her. She is the ideal kick-bu
Summer
Can't wait for the next installment in this exciting series! Most books in YA revolve around romance, but the Virals books are pure adventure and a refreshing break from the norm.

*Update*
Sees cover- "WHAT THE HELL? That BETTER be temporary......"
*Update #2*
Wait. What? March 7. 2013. 2013. 2013.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
I'm just going to say that's an accident and give SOMEBODY time to change it back to August 2, 2012. *HINTHINT*
Sophie
There is NO POSSIBLE WAY anyone could give this anything less than 5 stars. It is just impossible. This book was the breath-taking, nerve racking, mind blowing third book in the Virals series.
May I repeat.
NO POSSIBLE WAY.

So, with that off my chest, I will begin my review.

Oh. My. Freaking. GOD.

(view spoiler)
VG/Allie
Oh-mi-goda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i want the book now!!!!!! and im forced to wait to 2013...... GIRRR
*************
OHHHHH!!!! THE cover is pretty! But i like the other two better.....
*************

(Post reading Initial Rant) Good book starling ending why Ben why???? and there must be a 4th.

Now that time has pasted and now I can think coherently about this book and not just scream at the characters and Kathy Reichs.....

Ok, "Code" was by far the best of the Viral Books so far (there must be a fourth!)
Pippi Jackson
This. Was. An. Awesome. Book.
Go, Kathy Reichs! I love the whole virals thing, its enormously inventive. I still havent recoverred from this book. Read it twice in 5 hours. (view spoiler)
Jason
Update: Writing is a little clunky and some things are predictable, but wow- what action. Breakneck pace, fantastic plotting, it kept me up all night reading. I eagerly anticipate the next installment!
...

So, two things:

a) THIS EXISTS? I love the Virals series, but it isn't that popular, so I haven't heard about it in the way I usually do, through my GoodReads buddies chatting about it in my feed or coverage being posted on choice entertainment sites. I was looking through reviews today, and lo
Rachel
When I first received this book through the post, I literally squealed with excitement and started dancing around my room. I'd loved the previous two books in the series - Virals and Seizure - and couldn't wait to start reading the latest instalment. And, though it was still a really great read, unfortunately, it just wasn't as good as the other two. I found a couple of faults. :(

I think I'll start off with the negative first. Now, when I first started reading this series, I was thirteen - a cou
Deena Beena
MARCH 7th 2013 ?!?!?!?!?!?! WHAT?!
SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THAT THIS ISN'T TRUE.
Oh my god I'm going to die.

NEW COVER! BETTER COVER YES! WOOHOOOOO.

UPDATE:
THIS CAN'T BE IT! Someone pleeeeeaaaaaase tell me if Reichs will continue the series. SHE LEFT ME HANGING! I started this series when I was 13, and I'm now 16, I can't have them end now! This book was by far the most adrenaline pumping. My heart was beating like 1150 per minute. IT MUST CONTINUE!
Mary
Kind of mixed feelings about this one. I might have enjoyed it more if I could turn off my critical perspective and looked at it purely for its entertainment value (like I do for the Alex Rider series), but I wasn't able to for this one. Still, I'm not done with the series yet; the premise for the next book definitely intrigues me, and I've enjoyed things well enough so far to give the Reichs a second chance.

The good things:

1) The Reichs know how to write a tense and action-packed story; it was
Tatiana
Never before have I met a character more oblivious about romantic intentions than Tory. I thought no one could be more oblivious than Sydney Sage, but clearly I was wrong. Dear Lord, child, what must he do to tell you he likes you? Make out with you?! Poor Ben....

Not to mention.....when will they start listening to poor Coop??? The wolfdog is practically an early alarm system against all things dangerous....he doesn't growl at things just because he's cranky! There's a reason!! GAH!
Alisha Tarran
The gang is back and things are quite quiet over on Loggerhead, no-ones shooting at them and trying to kill them, but we all know that won't last for long and it doesn't. See Hi has got a new hobby, it's called geocaching, and Hi and the gang find the only geocache located on Loggerhead. The cache contains a mystery box, and inside the mystery box is the start of a game, a very dangerous game.

The gang have to follow the clues to the next locations and it soon becomes apparent that this isn't an
Matt

The Reichses (permission to call them Reichs-squared, or just Reichs for this review?) do it again with another great YA novel. Having recently read and reviewed ‘Shift’, the short story by these two to bridge the previous novel to this one, I am refreshed that things have returned to normal and the hokiness found in ‘Shift’ is gone. Reichs returns with a full-on adventure that have the VIRALS tackling some very interesting and somewhat confusing clues to crack the code and solve the greater mys
Grace
Wut. Seriously though what the heck? Ok I'm getting ahead of myself, this book was phenomenal obviously by the rating I gave it. Kathy Reichs, you're the bomb. I've been with this series from the beginning back when I thought Virals was a stand alone. I deeply hope there is a next book to this series (she cannot possibly leave it like that). Now this book was different from the others. It was still you know the Virals taking care of business, but it was more hardcore. Which was like, whoa, this ...more
Mikaela
Jul 03, 2013 Mikaela rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Absolutely Everyone!!!
Shelves: favorites
Okay, freaking awesome book!! Most books in series kinda goes down hill and the first book is the best. Not so in this series! This book is so much different that the first two, but yet better in ways. (view spoiler) ...more
Kirsty
Just finished the book. I want to cry....... i could not believe the ending, it was a total twist I didn't see coming.
(view spoiler)
Kathryn
This is another good book in the Virals series. It took me a little while to get into it, as it sometimes does with Reichs novels. After reading for a while, the story picked up and became pretty exciting, with a surprising twist at the end. Tory's relationship with Ben reminds me of the relationship between Max and Fang in the Maximum Ride books. The only thing I hope with this series is that it doesn't take the same path that the Maximum Ride books did in which the general public finds out abo ...more
Cami
i loved it.

SPOILER ALERT

Tory Brennen is a 14 year old girl who her and her friends aren't normal. they caught this mutated canine parvovirus and haven't been ever since. this is the 3rd book of the series and that happened in the 1st book so im not going to go into to much detail. the point is, the parvo changed their dna. the 'pack' consists of her, Ben Blue, Hiram Stolowitski, Shelton Devers, and Tory's dog Cooper (the one who got the parvo in the first place).
In this book they start off look
Candace Shih
Tory and the gang are back in yet another fantastic addition to the Virals series. This time, an innocent session of geocaching takes a turn for the worse when the one they found takes them to the location of a bomb, a fake, but a bomb none the less. The man behind it, a man who calls himself "The Game maker" threatens to set off a real one if they don't play his game following his rules. To top it off, Tory's Debutante Ball is coming up (view spoiler) ...more
Mary-Morganne
Hate the cover, love the books. but you know what they say, don't judge a book by its cover! but seriously, I think they changed the publisher. wasn't it penguin or puffin or something before? bet thats why they changed the covers. P.S. saw on kindle store they changed Virals 1 too. get the good cover while it lasts!
Donatella
Okay I don't know how it's possible for this book to be even better than the first two. But it was, and sadly goodreads doesn't have a 10 stars option but if it did i'd use it everytime I finish a viral's book!! This book just kept me on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen next and who was responsible for the awful things happening. Did not see that plot twist coming by the way!! And also I have a new otp #TENTENTEN can they just get married already?! This book is hilarious and just ...more
Ashley
Apr 04, 2012 Ashley marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Definitely marked on my 'To-read' shelf! Definitely! Definitivamente (spanish)!
Thomas Strömquist
One of my Christmas presents and a new author acquaintance. Starting out I had never heard of the series and I had no idea that it is a teen/young adult novel. This was soon very apparent though; all goings through anything mathematical, scientific or experience based is clearly iterated and explained between the main characters (so much it feels a little like an especially annoying episode of some CSI variant).

Another giveaway is of course the main protagonists and most of all the unquestioned
Joel
Let me start by saying that on the whole, I enjoyed this book. Keep that in mind, because my review may not sound like I did.

Code by Kathy and Brendan Reichs is a quite enjoyable book for the teen audience, much in the tradition of The Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, and, for younger audiences, The Boxcar Children. People like their mysteries, (see television: CSI, NCIS, The Mentalist... if it's fiction and not a sitcom, it seems like it's mystery based) and I feel like the teen mystery really clicks wi
Michelle (Much Loved Books)
I am so excited to be joining the Virals, Tory, Hi, Ben, Shelton and Coop, on another adventure. Code has been one of the books I have been eagerly awaiting its release and I was super excited to receive a copy for review.
Geocaching is the new hobby for Hi. What started out initially as a hobby, soon turns out to be a deadly game of hide and seek, with lives at stake. The Virals must find and solve all the clues before time runs out, and someone dies. To add to the chaos, Tory also has to deal w
Nessie
Absolutely amazing! Riveting with suspense, betrayal and revenge the Reichs really done it with this book. It is definitely my favourite out of all the virals series!

This is isn't just cliche love/adventure story where the characters inevitably get together in the end with sunset in the background and them holding each other in their arms. It's a heck lot twisted than that which is why I love it so much!

First of all if you read the prior books (which i suggest you do!) we all know that Ben the
Angela Oliver
I enjoy this series - in which the main character is a teenage girl that hangs around with a bunch of somewhat geeky guys and they solve mysteries and deal with the genetic change wrought on them in the first novel - an abheration which allows them heightened senses and strength and some other abilities.

"Code" is more of a thriller than "Seizure" and contains some truly gripping moments, it's easy to see that Reichs carves her mark in the thriller/forensics novel business, and Tory takes after h
Kelsey
What I Think: I need to start by saying that I'm a very big fan of Kathy Reichs so I may be bias. I think that she is a great writer and I always enjoy reading her novels especially her young adult novels because they still require thought but are at a level that are easy to understand and easy to read. They make you feel like you are getting the science of a more hardcore novel but are still able to enjoy the drama of teenage life. It mixes two of my favourite things. I was however very dissapo ...more
Oliver
Feb 28, 2013 Oliver rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who have read the first two,
Recommended to Oliver by: Myself
Shelves: propper-novels
So, the whole idea of the second book was so they could have tech in their base?

Lol, I'm just joking, but I am glad they used the plot points from Seizure to tie in. In trilogies, the best one is usually the first or the last and in this case it is defiantly the last. Code is most unlike the first two and more darker as well; the whole plot is like something you'd see in a movie and is really fun to follow; every character from the series is in this book as I wasn't expecting to see one or two
Kenzii
Apr 30, 2013 Kenzii rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Kenzii by: My amazing intuition
What did you think? Goodreads asks me.

HOLY. I CAN'T EVEN.

THIS WILL HAVE LOTS OF SPOILERS BECAUSE I JUST NEED TO TALK ABOUT IT!!!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

This has got to be the best one yet. Tory is still as bad as ever, the boys are still as smoking and funny, and-

WOAH. Who saw that ending!?!?!?!? My heart shattered in two when I found out...(view spoiler)

Anyways, the plot was amazing. I think it's the best one yet. Basic summary: Hiram and Shelton a
Is any one else in love with this series, and are crazy for the next book??? 22 66 Jan 21, 2015 05:14AM
Disappointing series 4 14 Oct 27, 2014 03:30PM