Start by marking “A Flower in the Snow” as Want to Read:
A Flower in the Snow

A Flower in the Snow

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Luna and her polar bear friend (Bear) discover a beautiful gold flower growing in the snow. But when the flower fades, Bear goes on a search around the world for another to bring to Luna. It's only when he returns home that the true strength of their friendship is revealed.

A beautifully illustrated picture book that celebrates the joys of friendship, A FLOWER IN THE SNOW h
Published December 1st 2012 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Flower in the Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Flower in the Snow

In Tracey Corderoy's and Sophie Allsopp's sweet and whimsical story, Luna and her polar bear friend, Bear, discover a beautiful yellow flower growing out of the snow. Luna quickly dubs the flower her "sunshine flower" and vows to keep in forever. When the flower fades, Luna becomes depressed and Bear vows to find her another flower. With Bear gone on his quest, Luna realizes what really matters to her. And it isn't a flower.

The illustrations are just beautiful.

This is such a beautiful book and I
A cute story about what really matters in life. A little girl and her best friend, who just happens to be a polar bear, find a flower one day in the Arctic. The girl is so excited about it and wants to adore it every single day. Then it dies and she mopes. Bear decides to go throughout the world to find more flowers. He searches all over the place and finds nothing. He comes back to learn that as long as he's around, his friend is happy. Also, some seeds fell when the flower died. They plant the ...more
Originally posted at Escape Through the Pages with the same rating.

As an elementary school teacher, I’m constantly on the lookout for new picture books to be added to a classroom library that will not only entertain the students but provide a valuable source of life lessons (and beautiful artwork!). A FLOWER IN THE SNOW by Tracey Corderoy & Sophie Allsopp is one of those books.

Amidst beautiful, soft artwork Luna and Bear show the reader what it means to be a friend. When Bear finds a flower
Luna and Bear are best friends, and they do everything together. One day, Luna finds a flower growing in the snow (the story is set in the arctic, or thereabouts). It puts a smile on her face and a spring in her step until one day it fades, as flowers do, and with it fades Luna's smile. Bear goes on a mission to find another snow flower for Luna, searching through deserts, tropical islands, forests, etc. but to no avail. In the end he decides that all he really wants is to see Luna again, and th ...more
"A Flower in the Snow" is one of the best books for children I have seen in the past year. Not only are the illustrations fully colored and full page, but the pictures match the story perfectly. In this story, the illustrator has done a phenomenal job of showing the emotion of the characters through the expressions on their faces. This is a book that I definitely wish to add to the collection of books I have for my children. There is a good message in this book about the bond of friendship that ...more
The Deal: Luna and her best friend in the world Bear (who, yes, happens to be a polar bear) enjoy spending their days together playing in the snow. One day they discover a beautiful golden flower that brings even more happiness to their lives... until the flower dies and makes Luna sad.

In order to see her smile again, Bear goes on a quest to find another flower for his best friend.

My Thoughts: A Flower in the Snow is a very short but sweet picture book aimed toward the younger kids.

It's a lov
There were a couple of pictures in this story that were just the sweetest. I really liked the friendship between the little girl and the bear. And while it was odd that they seemed to be the only ones living up in the cold artic, it still suited the book well. I did feel bad for the bear who had to go off and search for the flower. But I wasn't expecting the surprise that awaited him when he came back. It was interesting to see how the little girl had been resourceful during her time of grief an ...more
Library Quine
A Flower in the Snow is a sweet story about the friendship between a little girl and a polar bear. The friends play together and discover a beautiful flower.Bear picks the flower for his friend but it inevitably fades and the little girl is inconsolable. Bear decides to look for another and in doing so leaves his friend alone. Both suffer through the separation and although bear returns without a flower, together they find a better way to enrich their lives. A little saccharine, but nicely told ...more
Beautiful art, lovely story of friendship. Non-white heroine presented without comment.
A lovely friendship story set in a beautiful "icy kingdom far away". In addition to a tale of friendship and how gift-giving can get in the way of what matters, another message about the miracle of growth and life being at one's fingertips if we only take the time to plant the seeds is a sweet one.

Despite the lessons I just learned from this one, I still recommend it as a great gift book and a wonderful addition to school and library collections. Will be a welcome story come spring and fulfills
Sep 04, 2014 Sharie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: f14
Friendship is what makes us happiest, even if we forget
Meg McGregor
One of the most beautiful books I have ever read about the power of friendship.

Simply exquisite!!
Sweet story about a girl and her best friend Bear.
Dena (Batch of Books)
Great artwork can really make or break a picture book. Sophie Allsopp has a beautiful style that fits perfectly with Tracey Corderoy's writing. The result is one gorgeous book!

I love the story, too. It is a tale of friendship and going the extra mile for those you love. A Flower in the Snow is truly an adorable book. My only complaint is the overuse of ellipses. There are far too many of those in the book.

More reviews on my blog: Books for Kids
This is a very quiet friendship story that is fun to read. Bear travels parts of the world trying to find a flower for Luna. The wonderful illustrations show us a very touching friendship.
(563 words)

I support Independent book stores - please use this link to find a store near you or to purchase A FLOWER IN THE SNOW:
Lovely illustrations. And the friendship between Luna and Bear is strong.

Only ...

people aren't friends with polar bears. And bees and butterflies and slugs and flowers do not live amongst the snow.

I know it was fiction so I'm probably being nitpicky.
Really sweet story about a little girl and her best friend, Bear. The illustrations are gorgeous, and I love the sort of magic that happens in the end. It's a nice, quiet book--perfect for bedtime.
Lovely illustrations and I appreciated that the girl didn't just mope around while the bear was away - but solved her own problems instead - a refreshing surprise.
this is perfect for the cold days towards the end of february or march. a cute friendship story.
Great book about friendship and how being together is more important than anything else
I really like the illustrations, they go well with the book. The story is good too.
Jillian Heise
This is a beautiful picture book with a very sweet story of friendship.
Iamaby En
Predictable but sweet, and I like the illustrations.
Teresa Bunner
A very sweet picture book.
Adrian added it
Oct 02, 2015
Brenda Robertson
Brenda Robertson is currently reading it
Sep 20, 2015
Aiyah marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Tracey is the author of Hubble Bubble, Granny Trouble. She was born and grew up in industrial South Wales and now lives in a hidden valley in Gloucestershire with her husband, two children and an ever-increasing menagerie of devilishly-cute-but-sometimes-rather-naughty pets.

A trained teacher, Tracey has always had a passion for wonderful literature and began writing for children in 2006. Her books
More about Tracey Corderoy...
The Little White Owl Hubble Bubble, Granny Trouble Just Right for Two I Want My Mommy! Shifty McGifty and Slippery Sam