Start by marking “A Flower in the Snow” as Want to Read:
A Flower in the Snow

A Flower in the Snow

Luna and her polar bear friend (Bear) discover a beautiful gold flower growing in the snow. But when the flower fades, Bear goes on a search around the world for another to bring to Luna. It's only when he returns home that the true strength of their friendship is revealed.

A beautifully illustrated picture book that celebrates the joys of friendship, A FLOWER IN THE SNOW h
Published December 1st 2012 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Flower in the Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Flower in the Snow

Amy
Dec 19, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
In Tracey Corderoy's and Sophie Allsopp's sweet and whimsical story, Luna and her polar bear friend, Bear, discover a beautiful yellow flower growing out of the snow. Luna quickly dubs the flower her "sunshine flower" and vows to keep in forever. When the flower fades, Luna becomes depressed and Bear vows to find her another flower. With Bear gone on his quest, Luna realizes what really matters to her. And it isn't a flower.

The illustrations are just beautiful.

This is such a beautiful book and I
Jessica Javier
Nov 06, 2016 Jessica Javier rated it really liked it
There is a good message in this book about the bond of friendship that I think parents will appreciate. The little girl is adorable and someone I think kids could identify with. I also liked that this book shows a child that anyone can persevere. Even the flower was able to grow in the snow, which may open up discussion topics with your child. the illustrations fully colored and full page, but the pictures match the story perfectly. In this story, the illustrator has done a phenomenal job of ...more
Brittany Dodson
Nov 14, 2016 Brittany Dodson rated it liked it
This is a great book to spark some imagination in young children. This book has simple yet bright illustrations. This book also has to do with friendship which is a big part of a child's life. A Flower In the Snow is a good book to read with children in grades pre-k. There are also a few new vocabulary words the children can be introduced too (igloo).
Rosaira Quinonez
A flower in the snow is now one of my favorite books. I really love this friendship story, it well explain what a really friendship means. I really liked how bear did everything he can to make his best friend smile again.
Serpil Dislen
Nov 04, 2016 Serpil Dislen rated it really liked it
This is a great story, with a delicate lesson about friendship. Even the flower was able to grow in the snow, which may open up discussion topics with child.
Brenica Miles
A beautiful story about a friendship between Luna and her friend the polar bear and the valuable lesson about the importance of what they mean to each other above anything else.
Carmen Revilla
This is a great story, with a tender lesson about friendship. This book has a good for children of all ages. Great artwork can really make a picture book.
Rebecca Gray
Oct 11, 2016 Rebecca Gray rated it really liked it
This book is such a sweet book. It talks about true friendship, as well as how it is more important than any material thing. The illustrations are really cute. Good read for kids 4 and up.
Crystal Warrick
Oct 02, 2016 Crystal Warrick rated it really liked it
This book has great illustrations. It has a great vocabulary word to introduce to pre-k students and that word is igloo which is a house made of ice. This book uses imagination throughout it because a little girl and polar bear are best friends. When the little girl is sad that the flower she picked died, the polar bear started traveling to try to find her a new flower to make her happy again, but with the polar bear gone, the little girl is sad and just wants her friend back. Then, she uses the ...more
Maia
Oct 02, 2016 Maia rated it really liked it
This is an picture book, and it s and about love and friendship. In this book is shown, that friends are able to do everything to make his or her friend happy.
The story is about a girl by name Luna, who's friend is bear. they live in the place where is a big snow and one day the bear finds an yellow flower and give it to luna to make her happy. She gets rally happy until the flower wilts. She gets very sad and the bear decides to go far away and bring the yellow flower to luna. He tries but he
Parihan Lalani
This is a great book to spark some imagination in young children. This book has simple yet bright illustrations. This book also has to do with friendship which is a big part of a child's life. A Flower In the Snow is a good book to read with children in grades pre-k or kindergarten. There are also a few new vocabulary words the children can be introduced too (igloo).
Makayla Wooden
The Flower in the Snow is an amazing book about friendship. It would be good to read in Kindergarten and up classrooms. The illustrations are engaging and will catch the children's attention. You could use this book for a lesson on friends. You could also use this book for teaching children how to grow a flower. This book is something the children will be sure to enjoy and would be great for a retelling.
Shanteria Maddox
Oct 02, 2016 Shanteria Maddox rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peer-instructor
this book was definitely focused around a strong friendship. I love how the bear traveled far to findhis friend another flower after hers faded in the snow ! it has beautiful , soft illustrations. I love the fact that he cared that much about her to go and find another flower for her #empathy
Sherillyn Ramsey
Oct 02, 2016 Sherillyn Ramsey rated it liked it
Good illustrations. A good friendship book. Good way to introduce the conversation of expectations of friends.
Erica Gordon
This book is great for social and emotional development with children being able to use their imagination. It also shows the relationship of two best friends between a girl and a bear. It can be used on a lesson on growing flowers as well. I would recommend this book to Preschool age children.
Jennifer Hadley
A Flower in the Snow is a wonderful book about friendship! This book is perfect for a read aloud or retelling in K+ classrooms. This heartwarming tale about two friends shares the true meaning of friendship. It can be used with a lesson on how to grow a flower as well. The illustrations are large and very engaging. This book is charming and sure to delight!
Britney
Sep 26, 2016 Britney rated it really liked it
This book definitely can teach children about what it means to be a real friend. I liked that children can see that friendship is not about gifts but friendship itself is a gift in life. I loved the illustrations and it really captured my attention.
Brittany
Sep 26, 2016 Brittany rated it liked it
This book was very sweet and friendly. The girl and the bear was best friends. The story shows that it's not about giving gifts to your friends, but showing that you care and being a good friend.
Arminzerella
Cait
Dec 26, 2012 Cait rated it it was amazing
Originally posted at Escape Through the Pages with the same rating.

As an elementary school teacher, I’m constantly on the lookout for new picture books to be added to a classroom library that will not only entertain the students but provide a valuable source of life lessons (and beautiful artwork!). A FLOWER IN THE SNOW by Tracey Corderoy & Sophie Allsopp is one of those books.

Amidst beautiful, soft artwork Luna and Bear show the reader what it means to be a friend. When Bear finds a flower
Jessica
Jul 06, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
Luna and Bear are best friends, and they do everything together. One day, Luna finds a flower growing in the snow (the story is set in the arctic, or thereabouts). It puts a smile on her face and a spring in her step until one day it fades, as flowers do, and with it fades Luna's smile. Bear goes on a mission to find another snow flower for Luna, searching through deserts, tropical islands, forests, etc. but to no avail. In the end he decides that all he really wants is to see Luna again, and ...more
Michelle McBeth
Apr 24, 2016 Michelle McBeth rated it really liked it
SUMMARY: Luna loves living in the snow. But she loves her polar bear friend, Bear, even more. One day, Bear discovers a beautiful golden flower growing in the snow and gives it to Luna. But when the flower dies, and Luna is sad, Bear goes on a search around the world for another to bring to Luna. When he returns home, he realizes that Luna is his greatest treasure and the he is hers. And that they are happiest when together.

ILLUSTRATIONS: The illustrator does a wonderful job of making a predomin
Ionia
Jan 17, 2013 Ionia rated it it was amazing
"A Flower in the Snow" is one of the best books for children I have seen in the past year. Not only are the illustrations fully colored and full page, but the pictures match the story perfectly. In this story, the illustrator has done a phenomenal job of showing the emotion of the characters through the expressions on their faces. This is a book that I definitely wish to add to the collection of books I have for my children. There is a good message in this book about the bond of friendship that ...more
Alex
Dec 20, 2012 Alex rated it liked it
Shelves: children
The Deal: Luna and her best friend in the world Bear (who, yes, happens to be a polar bear) enjoy spending their days together playing in the snow. One day they discover a beautiful golden flower that brings even more happiness to their lives... until the flower dies and makes Luna sad.

In order to see her smile again, Bear goes on a quest to find another flower for his best friend.

My Thoughts: A Flower in the Snow is a very short but sweet picture book aimed toward the younger kids.

It's a lov
There were a couple of pictures in this story that were just the sweetest. I really liked the friendship between the little girl and the bear. And while it was odd that they seemed to be the only ones living up in the cold artic, it still suited the book well. I did feel bad for the bear who had to go off and search for the flower. But I wasn't expecting the surprise that awaited him when he came back. It was interesting to see how the little girl had been resourceful during her time of grief ...more
Library Quine
Apr 08, 2013 Library Quine rated it really liked it
A Flower in the Snow is a sweet story about the friendship between a little girl and a polar bear. The friends play together and discover a beautiful flower.Bear picks the flower for his friend but it inevitably fades and the little girl is inconsolable. Bear decides to look for another and in doing so leaves his friend alone. Both suffer through the separation and although bear returns without a flower, together they find a better way to enrich their lives. A little saccharine, but nicely told ...more
Erin
Jan 26, 2015 Erin rated it liked it
A cute story about what really matters in life. A little girl and her best friend, who just happens to be a polar bear, find a flower one day in the Arctic. The girl is so excited about it and wants to adore it every single day. Then it dies and she mopes. Bear decides to go throughout the world to find more flowers. He searches all over the place and finds nothing. He comes back to learn that as long as he's around, his friend is happy. Also, some seeds fell when the flower died. They plant the ...more
Dena (Batch of Books)
Feb 13, 2013 Dena (Batch of Books) rated it really liked it
Great artwork can really make or break a picture book. Sophie Allsopp has a beautiful style that fits perfectly with Tracey Corderoy's writing. The result is one gorgeous book!

I love the story, too. It is a tale of friendship and going the extra mile for those you love. A Flower in the Snow is truly an adorable book. My only complaint is the overuse of ellipses. There are far too many of those in the book.

More reviews on my blog: Books for Kids
Angela
Jul 05, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A lovely friendship story set in a beautiful "icy kingdom far away". In addition to a tale of friendship and how gift-giving can get in the way of what matters, another message about the miracle of growth and life being at one's fingertips if we only take the time to plant the seeds is a sweet one.

Despite the lessons I just learned from this one, I still recommend it as a great gift book and a wonderful addition to school and library collections. Will be a welcome story come spring and fulfills
Mary
Apr 10, 2016 Mary added it
I really enjoyed this book it was definitely a cute read and feel good book. The illustrations were my favorite part the author did a great job with them. My favorite part of the book was when Luna and Bear were reunited again, I think the book had a great message of never giving up. I would definitely recommend this book to others it would be a great book to use for a friendship lesson.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Boundless Grace
  • Big Red Lollipop
  • Merry-Go-Round: A Book About Nouns
  • The Perfect Present
  • Skippy Jon Jones Collection (4 Board Book Collection, 1-2-3, Color Crazy, Shape Up, Up & Down)
  • Nurse, Soldier, Spy: The Story of Sarah Edmonds, a Civil War Hero
  • Miss Maple's Seeds
  • The Bicycle Man
  • Have Fun, Molly Lou Melon
  • Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle
Tracey is the author of Hubble Bubble, Granny Trouble. She was born and grew up in industrial South Wales and now lives in a hidden valley in Gloucestershire with her husband, two children and an ever-increasing menagerie of devilishly-cute-but-sometimes-rather-naughty pets.

A trained teacher, Tracey has always had a passion for wonderful literature and began writing for children in 2006. Her books
More about Tracey Corderoy...