Start by marking “Bhagavad Gita As It Is” as Want to Read:
Bhagavad Gita As It Is

Bhagavad Gita As It Is

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  1,009 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
The Bhagavad Gita is universally renowned as the jewel of India's spiritual wisdom.

Spoken by Lord Sri Krishna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, to His intimate devotee arjuna, the Gita's seven hundred concise verses provide a definitive guide to the science of Self-realization.
Published August 2nd 1972 by The Bhaktivedanta Book Trust (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Bhagavad Gita As It Is, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bhagavad Gita As It Is

Falguni78
Apr 06, 2009 Falguni78 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a way to live life..hence will be reading it forever...
Tushar Tyagi
Mar 21, 2012 Tushar Tyagi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
I have read some Hindi versions of the text. This is the first English version that I am reading. The author has done a nice job in translating the verses from Sanskrit to English and pointing out the meanings of tough Sanskrit words. But everything good ends there. The explanation or "Purport" written here have some faults according to me.

In Hindu scriptures, God is treated as an entity having no shape, no figure; it is omnipresent and has no name nor any gender. But in this text, Lord Krishna
Arun Mahendrakar
Dec 23, 2013 Arun Mahendrakar rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'll begin by saying that my intention of reading Bhagavad Gita was not to find god, but to gain a better understanding of life.

Unfortunately, most part of the book is just blind following of Krsna - "DO THIS; DON'T DO THAT because Krsna said so". The primary goal of the book was to provide enlightenment to the ignorant and those in suffering. Instead all it does is to drive people in believing that 'follow Krsna and all your problems will go away'. Hmm.. I don't think so.

In 9:23, it says: "Thos
Rose Fuller
Nov 03, 2013 Rose Fuller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've only read the translations and purports of the book, so I can't really understand the sanskrit. I was determined to read this book after reading The Science of Self Realization by the same author. Its the central text used by Krishna devotees in temples. The author founded the ISKCON movement which flourished in the 60's and 70's in the UK and USA. The books message is that Bhakti Yoga is the best way to unite with God, who is Krishna, and that chanting the maha-mantra is the most important ...more
Volmarr
Apr 06, 2014 Volmarr rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Only people following Gaudiya Vaishnavism
The Bhagavad-Gita itself is an incredibly important powerful Hindu yogic holy text filled with very important core knowledge useful for anyone on the spiritual path. But this translation and commentary of it is bias towards a dualistic philosophy, thus making this not a good version of the Bhagavad-Gita to read, unless you are someone following the particular tradition this version is biased towards, Gaudiya Vaishnavism aka the Hare Krishna tradition.
Dec 01, 2016 No rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
According to this book I am definitely a demon. Very mixed feelings about this one, a love hate relationship. Did a lot of cherry picking of the good stuff and ignoring a lot of the garbage. But overall this is a really great piece of literature and worth reading. The two big take aways for me are abandoning materialism and how everything including us as humans are just temporary forms of energy. Also very suprised on how much of this seemed to be hijacked and adopted into Christianity, many sim ...more
Brooke
Feb 17, 2009 Brooke added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Hinduism, the Vedic texts, yoga origins, the study of yoga
I picked this older edition up in a used bookstore on Church Street, and I chose this author's translation over several others.

The Bhagavad Gita is a sacred scripture in Hinduism and is a required text for a lot of yoga teacher trainings. It's actually really wonderful to read so far, although I have had to sort of make some notes as I go so I don't get lost in the names and places. I'll review more when I'm done :)
Tanmay Tathagat
What is the Bhagavad Gita, really? A great poetic masterpiece? Of course. A majestic philosophy of life? Definitely. Is it a perfect book? Is it the book to live one's life by? Is it the book? Sadly, no. This is a book filled with misogyny, hatred (only towards the one who does not believe in Krishna, of course) and bigotry. The translation is competent, I'm sure. The commentary is, quite frankly, sort of stupid and small-minded. Bhaktivedanta Prabhupada is no different from the priest or the mu ...more
Zach
To give something like the Bhagavad-Gita a review in terms of stars seems grossly inadequate, so I will refrain from that measure. For the Gita is neither good nor bad, it does not exist to entertain or comment on society. It is, to those of the Hindu tradition, the word of God himself.

I will go as far as to say I had an excellent and enlightening time with the Gita. Prabhupāda's commentary is (more often than not) redundant, but the occasional useful analogies are welcome in making meanings cl
Tammy
Dec 11, 2013 Tammy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mostly what surprised me about this is how much is was like other religious texts, telling you that in order for you to understand, you first have to believe, and that god is everything etc. A lot of the language seemed very old testament-ish.

It was repetitive, like any religious texts, meant to brainwash you. The biggest difference between this and other religious texts is how much it talked about transcendentalism and compassion. All that can be addressed without a deity. What is a transcenden
DissidentCat
Jul 30, 2014 DissidentCat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is the best edition of the Gita because it has :

a. sanskrit
b. translitteration of sanskrit
c. interlinear sanskrit-english
d. translation in english
e. purport (exegesis)

All of this in one single book. As a non-hindu, the exegesis was essential to understand the meanings. The only thing i dislike is that the book is pocket size and the font is small. Just 1 star less because of the font problem.
4/5
Sai Kishore
Aug 20, 2013 Sai Kishore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The Bhagavad Gita is one of the greatest,best scripture,most profound books ever written.
Britta
Apr 11, 2011 Britta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading the Gita before my visit to the temple next weekend ;0)
Krishna Kumar
May 20, 2017 Krishna Kumar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Krishna Kumar by: a Hare Krishna devotee distributing in New Zealand
This particular edition of the holy book really helps one understand how the material nature and spiritual nature works, the science of God, our relationship with the Divine, different stages of spiritual growth, the purpose of life and finally the message of Lord Krishna to humanity. The author, His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami, Founder-Acharya of the International Society of Krishna Consciousness (the Hare Krishna Movement) has presented the words of Krishna as it is with the purport ...more
Brijnandan
Jul 02, 2017 Brijnandan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Salute to book and author. Honourable Bhagavad Gita is the compile of truths about human life. Whenever i got distracted in my life i turn myself to read this. There is no other place in the world which can give you more solace than this book.
ANISH ANAND
Jun 16, 2017 ANISH ANAND rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GODS GIFT

purpose of life explained gods gift to mankind for true hapiness and joy

Simple and truthful thousands of years old no other literature as old as this
Dev Samal
Feb 16, 2017 Dev Samal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
People Might Perceive This Book As A Religious Practice When They See The Cover. But It's Totally Not About Religious Practices. This Book Is All About One's Duties, Human Natures, Achieving Happiness And Strengthening Your Character. Here Are Some Great Reviews Of This Book By Famous Peoples:

Albert Einstein: When I read the Bhagavad-Gita and reflect about how God created this universe everything else seems so superfluous.

Ralph Waldo Emerson: I owed a magnificent day to the Bhagavad-gita. It was
Nikhil
Feb 25, 2017 Nikhil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brett
As a general editorial policy, I don't give starred reviews to the holy texts of major world religions because it just seems like asking for trouble. However, I will give a few thoughts on my experience while reading the Bhagavad-Gita. Please bear in mind that they come from someone whose only experience with Hinduism is whatever excerpts of Indian literature I had to read in my freshman world literature course.

Like other holy books I've read, the Gita had some profound moments of insight into h
Ariadna73
This stuff is looooong. Oh my God. How many days and nights I spent on this. By the time I finished, I could barely remember how everything started (LOL).

This is like the hindi bible. It is so large that it weights like seven times the Iliad and the Oddyssey put together. The message is that there are so many lives, but only life is certain. Death does not exist and we have to be very careful with karma because those who have bad karma go down the drain and can never go up again. If they have li
Malyajnarwaley
Dec 31, 2014 Malyajnarwaley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a great book as a summery of "Hindu" ways of living. Moreover, it is a comprehensive epitome of East Indian vision towards life and spirituality. I personally strongly recommend not to go through the commentaries given by Mr. Prabhupada over shlokas as each shloka in the book needs to be understood at own personal level and tested in the real life by each individual. In short Bhagwat Geeta reflects all the possible spiritual paths out there for the seekers of "truth", which can be experime ...more
Jane
The best version of the Gita out there! Read lots of versions to keep a broad perspective but this one is the best. Read the bold print through all the way first. Then go back and read the Purports or commentary along with the bold print.
Since billons of people look to the Gita for inspiration, everyone should read this just to be well read
about others in the world. I would say the same about the Holy Bible, Qu'ran, etc.
Religion of all kinds shapes the world view of billions of people. BE INFOR
Shivani Loka-Laksmi
Number one book on spirituality and authentic Hinduism. The B.G. is the oldest known writing on the planet, dated to at least 5,000 years old, and Prabhupada does and excellent job of explaining the sutras in his purports. I have been reading and re-reading it for years; in one of the sutras Krsna says "I reveal myself to my most dear devotees", and in this way I feel the book similarly reveals itself to you the more intimate you become with your true self, or what the Geeta calls "the Supersoul ...more
Ranjan Dubey
Oct 30, 2016 Ranjan Dubey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Baghvat Geeta is a part of great epic Mahabharata of course a part of Hinduism too. in the current era of depression and chaos, this book can be really helpful. This book deals with human emotions and teach us how to overcome it. This book is about a warrior Arjuna,who doesn't want to fight evil person because they are his brother, But after the Lord Sri Krishna enlighten him, He came to know about everything,why he came on earth. I can't describe here, I highly recommend it for everyone,it can ...more
Dustin
A delightful read. You should only avoid this book if your religious sensibilities forbids you to read a religious text you don't consider your own and your mind is closed to the idea. If that's the case, I fear for your intolerant soul. If it is not the case, I highly recommend this book. If you need the advice, keep an open mind and accept what is good to you, and consider or pass by what you don't understand.
I'm not saying anyone should convert to anything, I just believe that this book could
Venkataraman Kumbakonam S.
Jun 24, 2012 Venkataraman Kumbakonam S. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
There are a number of commentaries for the Bhagavad Gita. Most of them are by great scholars and philosophers.

While respecting all of them, I cherish this book by His Divine Grace A C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada because it introduces the great book in simple terms; at the same time kindles eagerness to learn more about the various aspects of this great divine literature, by relating the work to day-to-day life of all the human beings.
Chuck Engelhardt
I must admit that I did learn a lot from this book. Some of it actually makes me sad. Many of the "truths" in the Gita fall right in line with what Jesus taught and are actually very well explained, however, those who adhere to its teaching are depending upon their own goodness and efforts to attain salvation and that simply isn't good enough. The writer is not without some wisdom and understanding and as a seeker of truth, they have come to a few solid conclusions.
Acyutananda
Jul 07, 2012 Acyutananda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'As It Is' presents a treatise on the much translated Vedic scripture, 'Song of God' or Bhagavad Gita, that is highly assimilable to the intellect in explaining the foundation of the world, its full constitution as to cause and effect, composition of consciousness, the nature of existence beyond material senses, the Supreme Supersoul, and summary delineations on the processes of enlightenment leading to full darshan or cognition of that Supreme Supersoul.
Landry
Jun 15, 2007 Landry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This ancient text drops serious knowledge through the story of a brave man who is caught in a difficult situation. He cries out in desperation to God and gets a personal visit from The Man himself. God explains that sometimes life requires us to do difficult things. Then he breaks it down to the quantum level and shows our brave soul what life is about.
Daniel
May 10, 2010 Daniel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would say "half of the book is the patronizing drivel of the dancing Swami", but it's actually more than half. Each verse of the Gita is opposed by another page of his commentary, which is longer than the text it recaps with numbing monotone.

At least they give it out free and you can ignore the pages on the right.
His Divine Grace Abhay Charanaravinda Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada (अभय चरणारविनद भकतिवेदानत सवामी परभुपाद)was born as Abhay Charan De on 1 September 1896 in Calcutta, India.

He first met his spiritual master, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Gosvami, in Calcutta in 1922. Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati, a prominent devotional scholar and the founder of sixty-four branches of Gaudiya Mathas (Vedic inst
More about A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupāda...

“The cause of the distress of a living entity is forgetfulness of his relationship with God.” 11 likes
“One whose happiness is within, who is active within, who rejoices within and is illumined within, is actually the perfect mystic. He is liberated in the Supreme, and ultimately he attains the Supreme.” 11 likes