Start by marking “O Outro Lado de Mim” as Want to Read:
O Outro Lado de Mim

O Outro Lado de Mim

3.65  ·  Rating Details ·  4,661 Ratings  ·  182 Reviews
Growing up in 1930s America, the young Sidney knew what it was to struggle to get by. Millions were out of work and the Sheldon family was forced to journey around America in search of employment. Grabbing every chance he could, Sidney worked nights as a bus-boy, a clerk, an usher - anything - but he dreamt of becoming something more.
His dream was to become a writer and to
Published October 2006 by Publicações Europa-América (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about O Outro Lado de Mim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about O Outro Lado de Mim

Nov 15, 2008 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a GREAT autobiography. I didn't know a lot about Sheldon, other than the fact that he was the creator/producer of the tv sitcom "I Dream of Jennie."

Sheldon had an indomitable spirit: everytime he got knocked down, he got back up. And he got knocked down a lot. And rather than becoming cynical, he regarded negative experiences as learning opportunities, and kept moving forward.

He worked with a lot of the greats: Cary Grant, Shirley Temple, Fred Astaire, Judy Garland...

You will have a har
Dec 30, 2012 Margarida rated it really liked it
Para os admiradores de Sidney Sheldon!

Gostei muito. É uma autobiografia, escrita com a mesma mestria com que escreveu todos os seus romances. Prende desde a primeira frase! Leva-nos a conhecer os seus sucessos e fracassos, os seus medos, as suas inseguranças, os seus problemas emocionais, mas acima de tudo faz-nos ter vontade de virar a página seguinte e a "nunca fechar o livro demasiado cedo...", a nunca desistir de continuar a escrever o romance que é a vida! Felizmente, para nós leitores, Sid
Joy H.
Added 2/22/10.
RE: Sydney Sheldon (1917-2007)

I recently listened to an audio version of the following autobiography: The Other Side of Me by Sidney Sheldon (first published in 1995). He tells about how he got his start as a screenplay writer in Hollywood after many ups and downs. Eventually, he won an Oscar for writing "The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer" which was chosen as the Best Original Screenplay of 1947. He also won a shared award for the writing of "Easter Parade" in 1949.

After going into
Failures we face in our lives will not continue forever.Everyone should learn a lesson from the failure and come out to find a new life.
May 12, 2010 Ice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Sheldon writes his memoir as an intense and emotional rollercoaster as only he can with battling bipolar disorder nearly his entire life. From his suicide attempt at age 17 in 1934 to the publication of his first book in 1969, Sheldon has worked hard for his accomplishments.

His prolific writing career reads like a grocery list of productions spanning film, theatre, television and books. O'Malley guides listeners through the author's adventures in Hollywood and Broadway with a lively and animated
Anish Antony
I really loved reading this book. I know Sidney Sheldon was an excellent story teller of Thriller and Suspense. But I never has the faintest idea that he had won Oscar award for best writer. I have read a few novels of him and all were great thrillers. I am a big fan of SS but once when i realised his life saga, the admiration really went up.
Grown up in a struggling family, Sidney was in a loss of Hope and Happiness. Everyone in his family forced to work to meet their daily needs. He was desp
Cynthia Bugsey
May 17, 2011 Cynthia Bugsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What did I expect? This is an autobiography, so it isn't as interesting as his usual fictional books.The interesting thing about this however is that one can't STOP reading it also. I loved how he told the story of his uncle who was broke and had to 'steal' his work from him which won (lol!). It also gives one the sights and scenes of long ago when people like Cary Grant were big and a good insight on how Hollywood really IS. Sheldon teaches us that you have to have determination coupled with gu ...more
It was the title that caught my eye. A clever play with words, it is indicative both of arguably his best novel, The Other Side Of Midnight, and the story of the private Sheldon.

You have to hand it to the guy. He's had a career as a usher, bar-boy, druggist, bell-boy, hollywood, broadway, playwright, screenplay, nibbled at direction and production before finally becoming what he is now.

In short, this is an account of Sheldon's life and is an interesting read. This is not the regular self-promoti
Chasia Lloyd
May 26, 2016 Chasia Lloyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*Trigger Warning: suicide ideation*

"But I'd hate to see you close the book too soon and miss all the excitement that could happen to you on the next page--the page you're going to write."

I don't often go for the people behind the camera/microphone when it comes to memoirs, but I couldn't resist Sidney Sheldon's when I read he discusses being bipolar. And the book opens with his father talking him out of a suicide attempt, and the conversation they shared hit me so damn hard. I clung to Sheldon's
Oct 12, 2015 Mehwish rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
...but ready or not, life goes on.

America had had him in worst of it's time where he had predicaments and owned inadequacies then, that a third world country has today..
Except not much money.
He aspired affluence and some fame too.

His family was a turbulent one, Nothing new in West or in other Authors' Biographies.
He left his college and involved himself in petty jobs to cover their home expenses alongside he struggled to do something that involves writing. he dabbled with radio station, song
Leanne Hunt
May 29, 2016 Leanne Hunt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
As an author myself, I thoroughly enjoyed this memoir. Although I had read several of Sidney Sheldon's books in the eighties, I had no idea that he was also a prolific writer of Broadway musicals, Hollywood screenplays and television series. It was also a surprise to find out that he suffered from bipolar syndrome, which affects many creative people and is a challenge to manage.
I particularly enjoyed reading about how Sheldon began his writing career. He certainly didn't start as a storyteller,
Feb 17, 2013 Esther rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
no wonder why many of Sidney's lead characters had a " horrible past " and they had to fight in a hard battle of life to gain a properly life. it was Sidney's past had experienced before. his Struggle to earn living was tough, rejection, disappointing, bitterness, he had them once.
i found myself was mesmerized by the pages i read about him. he had bipolar and he wasn't confident about himself, but as he said, " never go out when your elevator at the bottom, just hold on over and over again "

in c
Sarah Warbey
Nancy Oyula
May 15, 2016 Nancy Oyula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Narrated in first person, we are introduced to a teenage boy, Sidney Schechtel, son of Otto Schechtel an American from Chicago, and Natalie Marcus, a Russian. Among other things, Sidney works as a delivery boy at a Chicago drug store. Sidney seemed to be suicidal and once stole sleeping pills for the purpose of taking his own life. Before taking the pills though, a voice spoke to him, it’s his dad, Otto, astonished that his son was a drinker; Sidney had had a glass of Whiskey with him. stunned, ...more
Ravi Abhyankar
Sep 25, 2014 Ravi Abhyankar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sheldon, Sidney. The other side of me, Warner Books, New York, 2005. Hardcover, pages 363.

Rating: 9/10

Sometimes, from a distance, we know a person well for many years. We get an opportunity to get closer, learn more and are stunned to know how much we didn’t know about him. The memoir by Sidney Sheldon with an apt name reveals to the readers his incredible life and superhuman achievements. I want you to read this book so much that you should stop at this point and not read anything further in
Apr 19, 2009 MONiCA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i've just finished reading this book a few weeks ago, and i learned a lot of things about my favorite author Sidney Sheldon, like he didn't start as a novelist (didn't become famous cos of his novels). he worked odd jobs to support not only his family but his dream as well. that he really was a master-- of almost everything. but human enough to feel depressed at times.
I kind of relate to his story, the manic depression part of it (bipolar).

overall, this one's a great "ending" for Mr. Sheldon's.
Apr 26, 2015 Benazeer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Very simple and boring autobiography. It feels like I am reading some notes. like someone just telling what he went through but didn't tell the feelings, depth, how life surprises us, expressionless no enthusiasm less thrill. It could be much better. I just turned the pages to finish this book. Only quote that touched to my heart was " Life is like a novel. It's filled with suspense. You have no idea what is going to happen until you turn the page.
Apr 22, 2014 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoires
I always enjoy reading memoirs. I enjoyed the ride in Sheldon's life from cover to cover. He definitely was a very creative and resourceful writer, and his life turned out to be as surprising and any good novel. His father stopped him from committing suicide. Sidney was down and out, feeling depressed and so no way out of his situation. Never ending unsatisfying jobs and no hope, worst combination ever. His father told him "You don't know what can happen tomorrow. Life is like a novel, isn't it? ...more
Parva Chhantyal
Frankly, I was kind of bored in the middle. He focused too much on Hollywood and not much on the novels but I guess that's what it is all about 'The other side of me'.

Still, its great to know so much about him. The book is really slow compared to his novels but let's not compare autobiography with fictional books.
Navneet Gattani
It was my first book as a reader, a newbie, the year was 2007.
I didn't go through the review or to others for recommendation. It just came to me as I have to read it, it took me almost a month to complete and every day was a struggle, my first book and that too an autobiography of a profound author. The words were tough and my vocabulary was weak, still is. Grabbing the book in one hand and dictionary in another.

Still a wonderful experience, a book taking time as this remain in one's memories.
Sep 20, 2016 Kathae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great life story. I know I should've done the math when I checked out the Wikipedia page on him to realise that most of his career involved Broadway and Hollywood, much less his novels. Sadly, I had expected the his autobiography to tackle his novels a little more, since they're the works I had been able to follow given my age, and I have read them all. Nevertheless, I am happy to have been able to learn more about the Master Storyteller himself and how he came to be. The way he told his own sto ...more
Thilsath Abdul
Jun 05, 2014 Thilsath Abdul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading the story of Sidney Sheldon lifted up my spirits and makes me believe that with sheer determination,skies the only limit.
Grown up in a very difficult environment, Sidney has proven that one's willingness to succeed is the only way to be successful.

I'm glad that in the dark windswept street, he had decided to give life another chance by listening to his father's advice to keep turning the pages as we never know what comes tomorrow.

If you are a die hard fan of Sheldon, this is one of the
Deepika Arora
Because it is Sheldon and because it is about the showbiz and the roller coaster that comes with it, the book makes for a page turner. But as an autobiography, it is too simplistic. There are no layers to explore or uncover. It reads more like the notes a ghostwriter made on the subject's life and then just typed them out. You get to know the evwnts that happened in Sidney's life, you don't get any insights into how they shaped his choices and more importantly his writing. It could have been bet ...more
Indah Threez Lestari
Dengan membaca buku ini, jadi tahu bahwa Sidney Sheldon menggunakan beberapa fragmen kehidupannya sebagai latar belakang kisah tokoh utama dalam beberapa novel awalnya, khususnya The Other Side of Midnight dan A Stranger in the Mirror.

Ada satu hal yang kuperhatikan secara khusus dari sekian banyak cerita Sidney Sheldon di otobiografinya ini. Di sini dia divonis oleh psikiaternya kalau dia menderita schizofrenia(kerennya sih sakit jiwa... gitu, atau terbalik ya?), karena emosinya labil dan punya
Aug 07, 2011 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sidney Sheldon was one of the best at grabbing the reader by the throat and dragging them right into the story. I lost track of the number of times I literally could not put his books down until I finished them, then screamed in agony at the way he left the cliffhanger for the very last page. No, no! There must be another chapter!!

His memoir is, apparently, no different. I just started it this morning (8/4). This is the opening sentence: "At the age of seventeen, working as a delivery boy at Afr
Sep 30, 2011 Mme. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sidney Sheldon, was one of the most best-selling writers of all times! A remarkable man who had many talents. He was an Academy Award-winning writer who left a legacy of great novels and a creator (screenwriter) of several TV shows (The Patty Duke Show, I Dream of Jeannie and Hart to Hart). To name a few, I truly loved his best-selling novels (The Other Side of Midnight, Memories of Midnight, Master of the Game and Rage of Angels) that later became a spin-off for several movies.

Sidney Sheldon,
Handaka mukarta
Jan 06, 2009 Handaka mukarta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
saya belum pernah membaca buku sheldon sebelumnya dan rasanya tidak berniat untuk membaca satupun novelnya.

buku ini saya dapat di bookcity buaran ketika mengantar anak bermain kesana. membaca selintas bab 1, yg menceritakan pergumulan hidup sebuah keluarga melewati masa susah-susah great depression. kehidupan sulit yg membuat saya begitu terpana. selanjutnya, buku ini tidak saya letakan sampai selesai membacanya.

sidney sheldon lahir ditengah keluarga miskin, yg selalu dihiasai cek-cok rumah tan
Judul: Sisi Lain Diriku
Penulis: Sidney Sheldon
Penerbit: Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Halaman: 480 halaman
Terbitan: 2007

Memoar, dilengkapi foto-foto

Hanya sedikit penulis yang mempunyai berbagai bakat dan produktif seperti Sidney Sheldon. Buku-bukunya dan karya-karyanya dalam film, TV, dan teater yang laris telah mencengangkan jutaan orang. Ia telah menulis 18 novel, lebih dari 25 skenario film Hollywood, dan naskah untuk pertunjukan TV yang diciptakannya yang tak terhitung jumlahnya.

Kini ia menceritakan
Abdelaziz Maldisa
Oct 04, 2013 Abdelaziz Maldisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book immensely, Sheldon discusses his life in Broadway, to MGM, Paramount, Columbia, Television through his ups and downs, when the elevators are on the top and bottom. His collaborations with Cary Grant and Judy Garland, his dinner with Marilyn Monroe, his relation with Groucho Marx.

He employed Filipino staff, hmmm.... "The Best Laid Plans" portrayed a Filipina maid
T.S. Eliot adored Groucho (one of my favorite poets)
And this letter from George Orwell:

“Dear Mr. Sheldon,
Many thanks
Mar 24, 2013 vaugnfreech rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biograhies
I kinda forgotten my idol Sidney Sheldon in a while. What for? I already read all his novels.

I was browsing some new books at National Bookstore one day and voila! I found a copy of The Other Side of Me – Sheldon’s autobiography. And what a coincidence...I discussed about it to a colleague one night shift who also reads Sheldon’s novels and she said she could lend me her copy. Cool!

So I began reading The Other Side of Me three days later and gawd, I could stop. Just like the old times. Sidney Sh
Sensational 4 20 Apr 08, 2012 06:49AM
  • Inspired Talks
  • American Prince: A Memoir
  • The Science of Religion
  • Life Beyond Measure: Letters to My Great-Granddaughter
  • Scenes from a Writer's Life
  • Under Their Thumb: How a Nice Boy from Brooklyn Got Mixed Up with the Rolling Stones (and Lived to Tell About It)
  • డబ్బు టుది పవరాఫ్ డబ్బు  [Dabbu to the Power of Dabbu]
  • My Song: A Memoir
  • A Quiver Full of Arrows
  • Cheech & Chong: The Unauthorized Autobiography
  • Pieces of My Heart: A Life
  • Illuminating Angels & Demons: The Unauthorized Guide to the Facts Behind Dan Brown's Bestselling Novel
  • Only Love
  • The Old Neighborhood
  • Sweet Dreams Are Made of This: My Life In Music
  • Steve Jobs: Genius by Design: Campfire Biography-Heroes Line
  • இட்லியாக இருங்கள் -  	Idlyaga Irungal
  • Hitman: Forty Years Making Music, Topping the Charts, and Winning Grammys
Sidney Sheldon (1917-2007) was an American writer who won awards in three careers—a Broadway playwright, a Hollywood TV and movie screenwriter, and a best-selling novelist.

His TV works spanned a twenty-year period during which he created I Dream of Jeannie (1965-70), Hart to Hart (1979-84), and The Patty Duke Show (1963-66), but it was not until after he turned 50 and began writing best-selling no
More about Sidney Sheldon...

“When they die no one will ever know that once they lived.” 91 likes