Start by marking “Città di cenere” as Want to Read:
Città di cenere

Città di cenere (The Mortal Instruments #2)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  570,323 Ratings  ·  22,927 Reviews
Clary Fray vorrebbe soltanto che qualcuno le restituisse la sua vecchia, normalissima, vita. Ma non c'è niente di normale nella sua vita se può vedere licantropi, vampiri e altri Nascosti, se sua madre è in un coma magicamente indotto e lei scopre di essere uno Shadowhunter, un cacciatore di demoni. Se Clary si lasciasse il mondo dei Cacciatori alle spalle avrebbe più temp ...more
ebook, Oscar , 467 pages
Published June 5th 2012 by Mondadori (first published March 28th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Città di cenere, please sign up.

k-bookee The series isn't the same as the movie. Jamie Campbell Bower is a better Jace Wayland, both in looks and acting. Let's all hope that there will be a…moreThe series isn't the same as the movie. Jamie Campbell Bower is a better Jace Wayland, both in looks and acting. Let's all hope that there will be a second movie with all the former actors reprising their role. Just love Lily Collins so much. ^^(less)
Lila Wayne
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Patrick
This book cost me around 600 dollars.

When I'm traveling to and from conventions, I use the airplane time to catch up on my reading. A lot of times this means I'm taking the opportunity to read books that have been popular for a while, but that I haven't gotten around to. I feel like I should be aware of the landscape.

Anyway, on my way home from Seattle, I had a layover in Minneapolis. I grabbed this book so I'd have something to read while I was eating dinner in the airport.

So I ate dinner, a
John Egbert
John no longer uses this account. I have no patience for this bullshit any longer. There are many ways to state an opinion that is in disagreement with this review, and so far, many of you have FAILED to do so. I will no longer tolerate disparaging comments. Rethink them if you don't want me to delete them.

Thanks,
John's Sister

PS: John is not male. She changed her gender status so she would not receive misogynistic comments, or gendered insults. JFYI.

I will tell the complete and honest truth. An
SKB
Mar 19, 2011 SKB rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cara
Jul 24, 2009 Cara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cara by: Victoria
I didn't go online, hardly talked, didn't eat (ok so I did eat), didn't watch TV just so I could finish this book. So basically I spent the whole day reading and I'm just bursting at the seams to read the next one.

The tension in the book is so great that you feel like the characters are literally going to break from the strain. Clary's mother is still in a coma and her relationships with Simon and Jace are fragile. At one point you just feel so down for everyone. Clary seemed to be getting in th
Elle
Well that was awkward.

*** SPOILERGRAM***

But before we head down the path of outrageous incest, I will say that City of Ashes was better than City of Bones. The pace was an improvement on that of the latter. Simon was still awesome as ever. I also felt that Ms Clare branched out a wee bit with her creativity with the Vampire transformation stuff, (except that I knew it was coming thanks to a certain Filipino minx who spilt the beans in a comment. You know who you are).

As for the abomination that
Candace
Picking up where 'City of Bones' left off, 'City of Angels' doesn't waste any time before plunging you right back into this supernatural world. This book was packed with action and adventure. With ever-changing information and plenty of teenage angst, this cast of characters tries to stay one step ahead of Valentine, making for a highly entertaining read.

Still reeling from the news that they're siblings, Jace and Clary struggle with their feelings toward one another. Awkward doesn't begin to des
shady
I can't do it. I just can't.

Screw this series.

My problem with this series isn't the writing. I'm not one to judge books by the writing since I am pretty terrible at it myself. My problem also isn't exactly the story, which I probably could like. Sort of. I think. I don't know. But anyways, my main problem isn't any of that.

It's the characters.

How can you continue with a series when you feel nothing but pure hatred towards the characters? They all just infuriated me to no end. Jace Wayland especi
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4 Family Matters Stars

photo 9774471_zpsxjbpt6ny.gif

Spoilers

Short and sweet so I can get to the next book. Wow City of Ashes was action packed and full of teenage angst. And I loved it! I feel this book focused a lot on Simon and all the changes that happen to him. I liked seeing the character growth in this book for Clary, Jace, Simon, Alec, and Izzy. I really didn't like Maryse, I felt like she really let Jace down. Poor Jace it was like no one loved Jace. Everyone turned their back on him or let him down even Clary. All
Rose
I'm beginning to understand why people prefer Jace Wayland to Edward Cullen.

I have to OH SNAP the ending. Is it March yet? I want City of Glass NOW.
Vi Vi
Mar 29, 2011 Vi Vi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"That when he thought, really thought, about the fact that he might never get to kiss Clary again, he wanted to die or hurt or bleed so badly he’d go up to the attic and train alone for hours until he was so exhausted he had no choice but to pass out, exhausted."

Oh for fuck's sake.

"He’d have bruises in the morning, bruises and cuts and scraped skin and if he could have named all his injuries they would have had the same name: Clary, Clary, Clary."

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

"If there had ever been any ho
Pearl Angeli
Reread: January, 2016
1st Read : July, 2014

This series continues to amaze me! I loved it the first time I read it and even gets better the second time around. There are lots of crazy and hilarious moments in this installment. The characters are all engaging and the way they interact really entertains me. I especially love Simon and Jace's banters here. And that part when they went to The Seelie Court-- my favorite part! Although Jace kind of disappoints me with his moody attitude, I still can't r
Cait • A Page with a View
Ok first things first, kids -- the whole Cersei Clary and Jaime Jace thing is straight up weird. Like even if he turns out to not be her brother (nobody tell me anything), they still think they're siblings right now and are really not making a strong effort to not be in love...

It's just unnecessarily drawn out and got kind of old. Like so much of the plot is this odd sexual tension:
"The gold in his eyes had turned hard, metallic. She wondered for a moment if he might actually spring at her, wha
Reader-ramble
Jan 14, 2013 Reader-ramble rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Do not touch this book if you value your brain cells.
The following review is filled with spoilers, whining, complaining, ranting, and the destruction of everything people love about this series. Please read responsibly.

When last we left our intrepid heroes, Clary "Mary Sue" Frey discovered she was part of a super special group of people called Shadowhunters. (That should be two words, by the way.) She falls for shmexy jerk-face Jace, only to find out that he is her brother and that they are the long lost children of stock baddie, Valent... Oh, I c
Kate ♡
May 10, 2014 Kate ♡ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Actual Rating: 3.75/5

This book was so much better than the first in my opinion, but I could be thinking this way because my vision of the first book in the series was clouded by my vision of the movie, but, nonetheless I really enjoyed this book a lot more.

I rated this book a 3.75 stars, so that there's room for higher ratings as the series goes on (and hopefully gets better)

City of Ashes got the 4 stars because it had me constantly thinking about the book, and f
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
I know I just now finished the second book of this series, but it feels like such an accomplishment every time I finish a book. I've seriously fell in love with this series so much. More than I ever expected to and I'm hoping I can stay with this series until the end since most people have said they stopped more or less halfway through. But so far, I've been so wrapped up in the Shadowhunter world that I don't see myself stopping any time soon! I'm so excited to see what else The Mortal Instrume ...more
Ashley Nuckles
Feb 26, 2017 Ashley Nuckles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a reread for my Mortal Instruments read-along!

I liked this one so much more than I remember and thought I would when I reread it! So much happened that's so crucial and just YEEESSS
Alexandra ❤️
5 Stars!

'A pair of werewolves occupied another booth. Arguing about who would win in a fight: Dumbledore from the Harry Potter books or Magnus Bane'
(Page 406 - Clary Fray) - I would love to know the actual answer to this!

CoA picks up right after the drama of CoB; Clary and Jace still struggle for their feelings for one another, Jocelyn is still unconscious and Valentine is still at leather and very much evil!

'Other crack teams get bat boomerangs and wall crawling powers; we get aquatruck
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
WOWEEEEEE. Well that was WAY better than the first book. I am FEELING some FEELS.
P
Mar 17, 2014 P rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
“If you really love something, you never try to keep it the way it is forever. You have to let it be free to change.”

City of Ashes (CoA) follows right after what happened in book one. The tension between Jace and Clary is tortuous, I can't even fathom how deep the rupture grows, but it sure affects everyone in this book. I appraise the story that it gets better, the twists and narrative sounds intriguing from the start except Clary. I don't know what makes her annoying like that, she can't st
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
For the love of God! Will someone kill Valentine already? He's getting on my last nerve!

Okay here I am having read the second book again. I have one more to go and then I will be reading the ones I haven't read yet. As I was going along I could remember it so that's a good thing!

Oh and I will be adding SPOILERS for those that haven't read it yet. And look at my beautiful UK edition ♥

Although, it would be a better picture if I would actually get up and make a pretty scene but I digress.

So Simon
Jessica Olson
Aug 23, 2016 Jessica Olson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book was much better than the first. And I love Simon.
Jamie
****DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ CITY OF BONES****

This is an outstanding follow-up to City of Bones. In City of Ashes, we find Jace and Clarey dealing with the personal fall-out from City of Bones, Alec and Isabelle not as visible but are still included, Simon still mackin' on Clarey but finds his own bit of trouble, and Magnus Bane cementing himself as the flamboyant, awesome warlock I knew he would be. And then there's the psychopathic Valentine....grrrr....

"You think she'll be able to
Andi
City of Ashes, on the whole, is a much more cohesive piece that City of Bones. That said, I had two major problems with the text.

The first major problem I had was with the role of adult characters in the book. There was a constant dichotomy of 'with the main characters equals good' and 'against the main characters equal bad/evil' and life is never that simple. Luke, who always supports Clary, Simon, and Jace is firmly in the 'good' category. Maryse is slightly different. In the beginning of the
Andrea Caro
Jan 27, 2011 Andrea Caro marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, ebook
I am sorry. I have better things to do than read this. Like clean my bathroom with a toothbrush, get a root canal, or slowly kill myself by mixing Drano in my soup. Peace outs.
Ash Reads
1st Read: 2013
1st Reread: May 23, 2014
2nd Reread: July 17-19, 2015[With Lauren]
3rd reread: February 12-?, 2017

Its sad that I have read these books as many times as I have, and have neglected to write reviews until now. I love these books! I could probably read them over and over again and never tire of the story - the world, that this author has created.

There is more of a 'feels' factor in this book. More emotions that book one set up. More drama. I LOVE IT. This isn't my favorite book of the se
Steph Sinclair

*sigh*
I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the fact that my taste in YA novels are changing. Maybe it's because since reading the first MI book in 2009, I have read so many better book series. Whatever the reason, CC just does not impress me. The writing is bad and she has poor use of similes.

I didn't feel the love Jace felt for Clary. If anything, I felt downright embarrassed that Jace was pinning over his "sister" and pretty much not caring. All the while, Simon is in the corner about to be s
Victoria Hansen
Mar 13, 2016 Victoria Hansen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
"I don't hate you, Jace."

"I don't hate you, either."

She looked up at him, relieved. "I'm glad to hear that—"

"I wish I could hate you," he said. His voice was light, his mouth curved in an unconcerned half smile, his eyes sick with misery. "I want to hate you. I try to hate you. It would be so much easier if I did hate you.

Mortal Instruments: City of Ashes is the exciting sequel of City of Bones, written by Cassandra Clare. This book offers half of what the first book provided: action, en engagin
Jasmine
4.5 STARS! ★★★★☆

Book 2 really picks up from the first one and if it wasn't for my real life work, I would have enjoyed reading this in one complete sitting, loved it!

I was already sucked in from the first chapter as it starts off very eerily with the introduction of Agramon (this demon reminds me of a Boggart in HP but much more scary!). With Valentine making his intentions loud and clear to the Clave and all Downworlders alike, horrendous killings are popping up everywhere and Valentine shows
Marcy Jo
Let's be honest. It doesn't matter HOW many times I read this book, even knowing how things will work out in City of Glass, the epilogue still makes me want to throw things against the wall EVERY TIME I read it! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Um...SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I feel a new obsession coming on. I can't get these books and characters out of my HEAD! I loved it so very very much, I couldn't stop reading. And now that I'm done reading, I'm going to listen to the audiobooks. Seriously , I'm in love
  • Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4)
  • Lord of Misrule (The Morganville Vampires, #5)
  • Wolfsbane (Nightshade #2; Nightshade World #5)
  • Elixir (Covenant, #3.5)
  • Ash's Letter to Meghan (The Iron Fey, #3.6)
  • Jealousy (Strange Angels, #3)
  • Foretold (The Demon Trappers, #4)
  • Guardian of the Gate (Prophecy of the Sisters, #2)
  • Revelations (Blue Bloods, #3)
  • The Lost Saint (The Dark Divine, #2)
  • Eclipse (Sweep, #12)
  • Sanctuary (1-800-Where-R-You, #4)
  • Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3)
  • Stargazer (Evernight, #2)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

More about Cassandra Clare...

The Mortal Instruments (7 books)
  • City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
  • Because it is Bitter (The Mortal Instruments, #2.5)
  • City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3)
  • City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4)
  • City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)
  • City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6)

“I don't want to be a man," said Jace. "I want to be an angst-ridden teenager who can't confront his own inner demons and takes it out verbally on other people instead."
"Well," said Luke, "you're doing a fantastic job.”
11916 likes
“We came to see Jace. Is he alright?"
"I don't know," Magnus said. "Does he normally just lie on the floor like that without moving?”
10165 likes