Start by marking “Marvel 1602” as Want to Read:
Marvel 1602

Marvel 1602 (Marvel 1602 #1-8)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  44,833 Ratings  ·  1,293 Reviews
In Marvel 1602, award-winning writer Neil Gaiman presents a unique vision of the Marvel Universe set four hundred years in the past. Classic Marvel icons such as the X-Men, Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four and Daredevil appear in this intriguing world of 17th-century science and sorcery, instantly familiar to readers, yet subtly different in this new time. Marvel 1602 combin ...more
Paperback, Quill Award Edition, 248 pages
Published August 2nd 2006 by Marvel (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Marvel 1602, please sign up.

Johnathan This isn't a story you need to worry about having background experience in Marvel more to appreciate. Gaiman weaves a splendid story that stands all…moreThis isn't a story you need to worry about having background experience in Marvel more to appreciate. Gaiman weaves a splendid story that stands all on its own. If you know something of the heroes then yes you will have a different experience but you need not worry since this is an historical story that just happens to have Marvel characters in it.(less)

Stephen
Dear Mr. Gaiman and Nameless Marvel Suits:

I’d like to start this mostly favorable review by first dropkicking in the baby maker the marketing wizard who approved the decision NOT to include Wolverine in the story-line.
Photobucket
Remember him…the surly, long-lived, fast-healing anti-hero who’s been your most popular character since “Hey bubbing” the Hulk for the Canadian government back in the 1980’s**. Yes, that guy. Not only was his absence noticed, but his persona would have been PERFECT for the tale.
Anne
Bumping it up to 5 stars!

I read this back in 2009, and liked it quite a bit. It felt like a very cool What If kind of thing, the art was pleasant, and I understood most of what I was reading.
However, I simply hadn't read enough comics at that point to fully understand everything. And I'm mentioning that now, because I don't think a casual graphic novel reader will enjoy this as much as someone who knows all of the characters.

description

If you don't already know, the premise is this:
Something happened that
Raeleen Lemay
Sep 29, 2016 Raeleen Lemay rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicomanga
This was fairly underwhelming overall, but DAT TWIST THO
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews.

I’ve come to the inevitable conclusion that “hype” ruins any possibility that I might actually love a book. Sure, sure, occasionally a highly recommended piece of fiction will almost live up to the gushing accolades showered upon it, but most of the time books crumble under my lofty expectations. And, honestly, Marvel 1602 is a prime example of that sorry fact, because, even though it is on lists of the “Best Comics Ever” and whatnot, after reading it
mark monday
Apr 06, 2012 mark monday rated it liked it
Shelves: comikon
in elizabeth england - and across the world - mysterious and sinister events are taking place that threaten existence itself. a varied cast of heroes and villains seek to understand and perhaps even control this threat. of course, the heroes and villains in question are a gallery of classic Marvel characters, including Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, the Incredible Hulk, Captain America, Doctor Doom, and Nick Fury.

Neil Gaiman is known for his striking reinventions of classic and even mythic characte
Stephen
Feb 10, 2017 Stephen rated it really liked it
description

How would the Marvel Universe look in the 17th century ?

There is no explanation why or how our all these characters ended up in the 17th century. In London Queen Elizabeth is worried because storms are hitting her kingdom. Stephen Strange and Sir Nicholas Fury who are Queen Elizabeth advisors think they have a solution to the problem and it involes a ancient artifact that is held by the Knights Templar.

Meanwhile, in Spain, the Inquisition sets their sights on eliminating Witchbreed (Mutants obvi
Felicia
Dec 20, 2010 Felicia rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm a sucker for anything renaissance, so this was SO much fun for me. I loved the idea of integrating and re-inventing the Marvel characters in Elizabethan Europe. The parallels were really clever between the mutants and the Inquisition etc. Despite some confusing panel art, I read this whole graphic novel in one sitting, and definitely want more in this universe!

I <3 you Neil Gaiman :)
Knjigoholičarka
Moji su drugovi biseri rasuti po celom svetu, što za posledicu, osim inspiracije za Bajagu, ima i to da nam ti isti drugovi s vremena na vreme nakratko svrate u domovinu, te nama smrtnicima koji živimo ovde, donesu stvarčice kakvih, obično, ovde nema. Avaj, u većini slučajeva su u pitanju grozne bombonjere sa još gadnijim punjenjem od šećerne paste, kojekakvi keramički ukrasi koji stoje po policama i skupljaju prašinu, majice sa natpisima "my friend was in ____ and all I got is this lousy T-shir ...more
Anna
Feb 21, 2017 Anna rated it it was amazing
Εκεί που η ιστορία, το fantasy και η Marvel συναντιούνται με το Neal Gaiman! Εξαιρετικό σε κάθε περίπτωση!!!
Donovan

Time travel! Apocalypse! Which Marvel book am I talking about? While these themes are old hat for a Marvel comic, Gaiman does a very good job writing this otherworld story called 1602.

So it makes old themes interesting. But they're still old themes. And the stories are what usually bore me in Marvel comics. While DC has its share of time travel and apocalypse-themed stories, it seems like every single Marvel comic is about this shit. So be forewarned, while the story is very different and uniqu
Brandon
Jul 24, 2013 Brandon rated it it was ok
Shelves: comix, fiction, 2013, marvel
Sudden strange disturbances in weather have provoked panic all over Europe. With Queen Elizabeth on her deathbed, political maneuvering has begun in an effort to slide the “witchbreed” (mutants) hating James VI of Scotland into a ruling position. Before her passing, the Queen instructs Sir Nicolas Fury to arrange for the safe passage of an unknown item making its way to England under the protection of the Knights Templar. Why weren’t the Knights Templar protection enough? Well, there are many po ...more
StoryTellerShannon
Gaiman's take on Marvel super heroes focuses on Britain in 1602 as a friendly Queen Elizabeth is likely to die soon and news comes of something worse than eradicating super heroes . . . the end of the world.

Some really interesting idea combos. It helps if you know the Marvel world already to get some of the references.

OVERALL GRADE: B plus.
Jeannette Nikolova
Jan 06, 2016 Jeannette Nikolova rated it it was amazing
Read on the WondrousBooks blog.

Never heard of it? Have no idea what it is? No problem. You are missing just one of the most fantastic things in pop culture. Now let me explain:

Imagine if all of the coolest Marvel heroes were born in Elizabethan England, Nick Fury was the queen's chief guardian, Doctor Strange was her personal physician, the Maximoff twins were working for the Inquisition, Professor X was gathering the prosecuted mutants, who everyone thinks are witchbreed.

And all of that writt
Jonathan
I once had a teacher remark how lowly they thought of graphic novels. And yet I believe that graphic novels are one of the more creative methods of generating stories for modern audiences myself. As such I am an avid fan of many of DC and Marvel's more brilliant story line arcs.

Having, with my typical flair, discussed my particularly good reasons for reading graphic novels, I shall now briefly review in particular Marvel 1602. Millions of readers, film viewers and pop culture observers know of
Amanda
Dec 03, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Marvel Comics Lovers
Shelves: comics
I could say a lot here, but I won't. Why I loved it: Neil Gaiman, really inventive premise, beautiful artwork, and a lot of fun matching up the Elizabethan superheroes to their modern day counterparts. This is what a good comic book should be--draws you in and won't leave you alone until you've finished it, all the while reading with a ridiculously big, childlike smile on your face. Loved it.
Sud666
Jan 29, 2017 Sud666 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
1602 was a very well written and a very fresh outlook on the Marvel universe by Niel Gaiman. I must, for the sake of spoilers, keep my description of the story brief.

In essence, it is a Marvel tale told in the setting of 1602. James is about to become King of England and he bears no tolerance for the "Witchbreed" (mutants) that having been plaguing Christendom. Queen Elizabeth, the previous monarch, used her Spymaster- Sir Fury to keep close tabs on these events. We also meet the Spaniard Carlos
Miriam
Jul 17, 2008 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marvel fans, Reformation historians
A temporal anomaly causes many Marvel mutants to be born hundreds of years earlier (so they are actually inhabitants of the Elizabethan era, not time-travellers). They must save the world (natch) despite the Inquisition, political intrigues, and supervillains. The suppositions "Church = bad, Queen Elizabeth = good and enlightened" kind of annoyed me with their lame ahistoricism (suuuure Eliz I was against torture)but overall the setting was well done and interesting.
Andrew
Nov 23, 2013 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
In recent years, I haven’t followed so many comics, with all of these reboots, alternative histories and cycles. But, the name of Neil Gaiman attracted me to this book that, for my part, I can define a true masterpiece. The story is set in the year 1602, in England, at the end of the reign of Elizabeth I, with the threat of James VI as the next king and the Spanish Inquisition to its full power. The major Marvel characters such as Nick Fury, the X-Man and Spiderman, are inserted in this context, ...more
Chris
Jul 10, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it
Some things in life are just cool. Leather jackets, for example, also laser beams. Sometimes Charles Nelson Reilly, but only if he's being impersonated by Alec Baldwin. Scientists aren't completely sure, but they believe coolness comes from some ineffable, perhaps quantum, relationship between the observed and the observer. Are laser beams cool if no one witnesses their awesome powers of destruction? Do cows share our appreciation for the kick-assedness of a finely cut leather jacket?

Gaiman's M
Leseparatist
Jul 25, 2016 Leseparatist rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2016
Nie jestem fanką Marvela - to mało powiedziane. Pewnie nie drażniłby mnie, gdyby nie wysyp filmów i seriali i związana z nimi homogenizacja fandomów. I gdyby nie to, że widzę w nim marnotrawienie energii fanowskiej, która mogłaby iść na bardziej progresywne, skupione na kobietach teksty i gatunki. [Czemu zatem czytam, pytacie? Lepsza połowa miała własny egzemplarz ale właśnie postanowiła komuś oddać więc czytam, zanim oddamy, bo kompletyzm.] Nie jestem też zupełną Marvelową ignorantką, choć wiel ...more
Daniel
Jan 06, 2015 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Odlican strip. Predivni crtezi, interesantna prica koja je na momente konfuzna pa cu morati da procitam ponovo i odlican prenos Marvel likova u vreme Elizabete prve.

Svaka preporuka ako volite stripove.
Arun Divakar
Aug 26, 2016 Arun Divakar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The 1600’s were no time for anyone to be a superhero in England. The monarchy and the religious establishments had no tolerance for powers running amok of which they had no clue of. Anything that could not be explained away as natural or as divine intervention of a biblical God was viewed as heresy and repressed with deadly force. Now for a moment let us assume that we transplant our Marvel heroes to this time and place, what events would transpire ? Neil Gaiman attempts to answer this question ...more
Kurt
Aug 28, 2011 Kurt rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: long-time Marvel fans
Recommended to Kurt by: Matt
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I like to read occasional Marvel alternate reality stories, but I've never had any interest in 17th-century history, and my experience with Peter David's Fantastic Four 1602 was rather unpleasant. This story, though, was engaging on many levels, and I'm thankful that my brother loaned it to me.

The premise is that we are in the regular Marvel Universe, but certain Marvel characters are appearing about 360 years too early, and the players (mostly N
Albert
Jun 24, 2015 Albert rated it it was amazing
Marvel 1602 by Neil Gaiman is unique and groundbreaking for a Marvel comic series. In the DC universe it would be another Elseworlds collection. But you have to hand it to Marvel on this one. It is inventive, daring and just plain great storytelling by a master in the craft; Neil Gaiman. The graphic novel collects Marvel 1602 issues 1-8 from 2003.

It is the year 1602, a sick and dying Queen Elizabeth fears the strange happenings in England and around the world as weather and bizarre phenomenon l
Titas (Emperor)
Jan 27, 2016 Titas (Emperor) rated it really liked it
Neil Gaiman writing an epic fantasy graphic novel which contains all the MARVEL characters and mythologies!
description

What review? Read the first line again dude! That is more than enough!
Callie Rose Tyler
Apr 15, 2014 Callie Rose Tyler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, marvel
Refreshingly fun.

At times this almost feels less like a superhero story and more like a historical drama. Gaiman masterfully blends Marvel lore into the 1600s, he fits classic characters into the Elizabethan era pretty flawlessly. The use of English politics, the Spanish Inquisition, and the emergence of the 'New World' gave the story some weight and allowed Gaiman to make some fantastic parallels.

For example, the mutants being considered witchbreed, loved it!

The casting was also interesting,
Steve
Aug 20, 2007 Steve rated it liked it
American comics seem to go for alternative futures (various potential futures) or parallel universes in the present - anyone who has read Superman comics from the 1960s knows what I mean.
British comics, on the other hand, often tend to lean more towards addressing alternate pasts - something I found more enjoyable, since it's grounded in something (history) rather than being an imaginitive free-for-all (hence, the camp of the 1960s, which American comics are still recovering from). While Alan Mo
İdris Alp
Jul 27, 2016 İdris Alp rated it it was amazing
Abartısız söylüyorum şu ana kadar okuduğum en iyi çizgi roman .Öncelikle konu kesinlikle müthişti , #neilgaiman anlayacağınız yine döktürmüş .İlk başta çizimler silik gibi gelsede anladım ki 17. YY havası katılmaya çalışılmış ve bu gerçekten çok hoş olmuş .Gaiman'ın son sözünde dediği gibi 30 tane kahraman var .Ya şimdi çoğu bizim tanıdığımız kahramanlar onları 1602 yılında olduğunu hayal edin, hepsinin Nasıl bir işi, Nasıl görüneceklerini hayal etmek çok da zor değil .Mesela bu çizgi romanda bi ...more
Dany Burns
Jan 08, 2017 Dany Burns rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
In this book modern Marvel characters are living in the year 1602. I haven't read any Marvel comics in a little bit so this may have been more entertaining for someone who knows the universe better but I really enjoyed it all the same. Based on the other Neil Gaiman I have read, this comic definitely felt like it was written by Gaiman. This book was colored with pretty muted colors which made sense for the time period and the story but I personally really don't like muted color palette so I didn ...more
Sara
Feb 21, 2015 Sara rated it liked it
What I said back in February -

I'm starting to read this series. I've read 2 of the graphic novels so far. It's okay. I like Gaiman and it is interesting to see all these superheroes in 1602 England.

Now it's March and I've read all of my copies.

I was torn between 2 and 3 stars. I'll leave it at 3. I liked the storytelling by Gaiman, not so thrilled with the artwork. I really didn't like the artwork. That is my biggest complaint.

I was pleased to see Dr. Strange play a fairly big part in this. It w
How is the 10th Anniversary Edition different from the regular one 1 2 Nov 18, 2016 02:38AM
Jean Grey's "disguise" 3 62 Feb 11, 2013 12:12PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Marvel 1602 by Neil Gaiman 1 7 Nov 30, 2012 08:44PM
Los Comics del No...: Cómic del Mes: 1602 7 19 Jun 14, 2012 01:44AM
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 4: Unstoppable
  • Runaways, Vol. 3: The Good Die Young (Runaways, #3)
  • Fables, Vol. 14: Witches

• Marvel 1602: Fantastick Four
  • Marvel 1602: New World/Fantastick Four
  • Marvel 1602: Spider-Man
  • 1602, Libro 1
  • Il segreto dei Templari (1602 #2)

“What are these fundamental principles, if they are not atoms?"
"Stories. And they give me hope.”
97 likes
“If a Devil is one who dares, when others hold back, then I am happy to play the Devil in this Mystery, boy.” 18 likes