Start by marking “Flying Fortress: The Illustrated Biography of the B-17s and the Men Who Flew Them” as Want to Read:

B-17s
Published June 1st 1968 by Doubleday (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Flying Fortress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flying Fortress

Esteban del Mal
Jul 13, 2011 Esteban del Mal rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: myself
Time has afforded us some perspective since Californians rejected then Governor Schwarzenegger's special election pet propositions in 2005. Since they said no to surrendering control of the state budget to the whimsy of the executive branch; no to unaccountable gerrymandering; no to silencing the voice of the working class; no to making it even more difficult for our best and brightest to choose teaching as a profession.

The swaggering, accented, tough-talking machismo disappeared, remade overnig
Andrew McBurney
Jun 10, 2013 Andrew McBurney rated it it was amazing
There's a lot to like about this book. To me, it is written the way a popular history ought to be written. It is well-researched, but is very readable, telling the history of the B-17 through stories of the men who built and flew it.

The first time I encountered Flying Fortress was as a child -- it was my Dad's book -- and I was fascinated by the pictures and learned a bit by reading the captions. As an adult, I bought my own copy and started in with the text itself. What I like best about it is
Matt Pearson
Jul 07, 2013 Matt Pearson rated it it was amazing
Sometimes history is best viewed through a single window, and the development and manning of these storied planes during WWII is a testament to that approach. I devoured every detail of this book many times down to the official training diagrams and cutaways of the plane in the appendices. I was mesmerized as a 6th grader and still am today. What I would really love to know is on the cover photo: Is that plane landing toward you or away from you. Tried many times to figure that out...
Jeff
May 25, 2010 Jeff rated it it was amazing
'Flying Fortress', Edward Jablowski,1965. For those in the know, this book needs no introduction. In preparation for taking a little joy ride in the "Yankee Lady" -a restored Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, Idusted off my cherishedfirst edition. There are few books that I feel are worth reading twice. This is one of them. I found it just as riveting now,as I did when I was sixteen. Jablowski's"Flying Fortress"is a true classic.

Hzar Worth
Jul 14, 2013 Hzar Worth rated it it was amazing
Just thinking of what went into this airplane at the point in history when it was conceived and manufactured, and the crews that flew them is just remarkable. A very important chapter in aviation well documented. I bought this book during the 80's at the now legendary Economy Bookstore in Syracuse, glad to have had it all these years.
Chris Brimmer
May 30, 2009 Chris Brimmer rated it really liked it
Good review of one of the first integrated weapon systems and one that did not work the way it was designed.
George Shrake
George Shrake rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2009
Todd Woods
Todd Woods rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2015
Barry
Barry rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2011
John
John rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2008
James
James rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Timothy
Timothy rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2011
Mike Malin
Mike Malin rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2015
Lewis Smith
Lewis Smith rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2014
Ray
Ray rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2011
Phil
Phil rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2007
CJ Fike
CJ Fike rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Brent Alford
Brent Alford rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2014
Tim Miller
Tim Miller rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2014
The Big
The Big rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2012
Bruce Mcintosh
Bruce Mcintosh rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2013
Don
Don rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2010
Winston
Winston rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2012
Dmolner1960
Dmolner1960 rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2009
Shera
Shera rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2012
Joseph M.
Joseph M. rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Mark Buehl
Mark Buehl rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2010