Start by marking “Flying Fortress: The Illustrated Biography of the B-17s and the Men Who Flew Them” as Want to Read:

Renowned throughout the world for its strength and destructiveness, the Flying Fortress was one of the greatest fighting airplanes of all time. In this comprehensively documented biography, Edward Jablonski tells the story of the Flying Fortress Boeing B-17, America's legendary long-range bomber. From the B-17's near death in infancy to the emergence of its successor, the ...more
Published June 1st 1968 by Doubleday (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Flying Fortress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flying Fortress

Esteban del Mal
Jul 12, 2011 Esteban del Mal rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: myself
Time has afforded us some perspective since Californians rejected then Governor Schwarzenegger's special election pet propositions in 2005. Since they said no to surrendering control of the state budget to the whimsy of the executive branch; no to unaccountable gerrymandering; no to silencing the voice of the working class; no to making it even more difficult for our best and brightest to choose teaching as a profession.

The swaggering, accented, tough-talking machismo disappeared, remade overnig
Andrew McBurney
Jun 10, 2013 Andrew McBurney rated it it was amazing
There's a lot to like about this book. To me, it is written the way a popular history ought to be written. It is well-researched, but is very readable, telling the history of the B-17 through stories of the men who built and flew it.

The first time I encountered Flying Fortress was as a child -- it was my Dad's book -- and I was fascinated by the pictures and learned a bit by reading the captions. As an adult, I bought my own copy and started in with the text itself. What I like best about it is
Matt Pearson
Jul 07, 2013 Matt Pearson rated it it was amazing
Sometimes history is best viewed through a single window, and the development and manning of these storied planes during WWII is a testament to that approach. I devoured every detail of this book many times down to the official training diagrams and cutaways of the plane in the appendices. I was mesmerized as a 6th grader and still am today. What I would really love to know is on the cover photo: Is that plane landing toward you or away from you. Tried many times to figure that out...
Jeff
May 25, 2010 Jeff rated it it was amazing
'Flying Fortress', Edward Jablowski,1965. For those in the know, this book needs no introduction. In preparation for taking a little joy ride in the "Yankee Lady" -a restored Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, Idusted off my cherishedfirst edition. There are few books that I feel are worth reading twice. This is one of them. I found it just as riveting now,as I did when I was sixteen. Jablowski's"Flying Fortress"is a true classic.

Hzar Worth
Jul 14, 2013 Hzar Worth rated it it was amazing
Just thinking of what went into this airplane at the point in history when it was conceived and manufactured, and the crews that flew them is just remarkable. A very important chapter in aviation well documented. I bought this book during the 80's at the now legendary Economy Bookstore in Syracuse, glad to have had it all these years.
Chris Brimmer
May 30, 2009 Chris Brimmer rated it really liked it
Good review of one of the first integrated weapon systems and one that did not work the way it was designed.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Vince
Vince marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Landon Wilkey
Landon Wilkey marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Joshua Warwick
Joshua Warwick marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Roman Romaniuk
Roman Romaniuk rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
Fritz
Fritz rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
James
James rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Garrett Olinde
Garrett Olinde rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Kent
Kent added it
Feb 16, 2016
Two Readers in Love
Two Readers in Love rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
B
B rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Roger
Roger added it
Jan 10, 2016
Joseph M.
Joseph M. rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Peter Van Ruiten
Peter Van Ruiten marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
CJ Fike
CJ Fike rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
douglas billings
douglas billings rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2015
Pavl
Pavl marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
ROBERT I WILSON
ROBERT I WILSON marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Barry
Barry rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2015
SkipO
SkipO rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2015
John Aufleger
John Aufleger rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2015
L.kotze
L.kotze marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015