Start by marking “Finding Karla: How I Tracked Down an Elusive Serial Child Killer and Discovered a Mother of Three” as Want to Read:

In the early 1990s, Karla Homolka and Paul Bernardo became known around the world as the “Ken and Barbie Killers” after the young lovers were convicted of crimes related to the rape and murder of two teenage girls. Homolka later struck a deal with prosecutors to serve twelve years in prison for manslaughter.

When she was released from prison in 2005, Homolka lived briefly
Published June 18th 2012 by Canadian Writers Group/The Atavist

To ask other readers questions about Finding Karla, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Karla

Chantal Saville
Aug 31, 2012 Chantal Saville rated it really liked it
The other night, I downloaded Paula Todd’s e-book: “Finding Karla”. Call it morbid curiosity, or like when you slow down to look at the detritus that remains after a multiple car crash, but I wanted to know.

I wanted to know how a woman who actively participated in the torture, rape and murder of three young women and then pulled off the deal of the century by getting only 12 years in jail for those crimes, was living her life.

I had read snippets over the years. Some said she had moved toEurope.
Shawn Davis
Nov 23, 2012 Shawn Davis rated it liked it
Karla Homolka is a prisoner in her own home.

Unlike those she jumped in to torture and murder, she has a family. She has three beautiful children and a husband and has tried to remove herself from the eyes of the world that sees her as a monster who was barely slapped on the wrist for her horrible crimes. She left quietly and covered nearly all her tracks.

Except the one that led Paula Todd to her.

The voyeur in me was fascinated with the descriptions of how Homolka now lives. But the meat of the s
Sheryl
Feb 11, 2015 Sheryl rated it did not like it
Track the already hunted, convicted, freed...?

There just wasn't enough content to warrant the build up, nor purpose really either. This wasn't a man hunt. Todd wasn't trying to hunt down an Elusive Serial killer. That is very misleading to anyone unfamiliar with the case.
Karla had been convicted but took a deal for a 12 yr sentence, so as to turn on her husband. Regrettably, video tapes showing her as a participant in the most heinous behavior were discovered after the deal. She wasn't manipula
Leeanne
Aug 27, 2015 Leeanne rated it did not like it
Todd gave no credit to the people who did the actual research of the majority of her book. She mostly relied on info from the website "Watching Karla Homolka" and merely had enough money to take a vacation and "find" Karla in it. She describes sitting outside her house, in the bushes when she could have just snapped a pic of Karla while she was in her house. Not much of an investigative journalist. Anyone looking for info on the case, or anything new and interesting; take a pass on this book.
Deb
Jun 24, 2012 Deb rated it it was amazing
Short story about the author successfully tracking down Canadien serial killer Karla Homolka. Amazing how she actually found her after Homolka disappeared when she was released from prison. Interesting to find out what her life became after she helped her exhusband rape torture and kill three young women in Canada (one of whom was her own younger sister).
Rob Tripp
Apr 09, 2013 Rob Tripp rated it it was ok
The climax that every reader knows is coming is disappointing (as virtually every other reviewer notes), since Karla ending up giving Todd very little substance during their meeting. She would not answer any questions. Despite this, I was fascinated by Todd's account of tracking a paroled killer.
Paula
May 16, 2013 Paula rated it really liked it
So being Canadian and really having a boring country when it comes to criminals (thank goodness - lol!) this story was HUGE here and what made it so much more for water cooler discussions was the deal that was brokered with regards to Karla (wife of the murdering duo) - what became even bigger was a tidbit of an interview of her a couple of years, I think before she got out of prison and then of course her release. Then there was the mystery of where and how she disappeared and of course lots of ...more
Ally
Jan 07, 2013 Ally rated it did not like it
Kind of disappointed in this book, to be honest. I suppose I should have read the page numbers. This book is REALLY short. But it does say "How I Tracked Down An Elusive Serial Killer." So let me save you a whole 40-some page read: Google. This book is basically the author patting herself on the back for being so clever as to find someone who didn't want to be found. She spends a small portion of the book on her "interview" with Karla, which consists of them mostly watching her children playing. ...more
Gregg Rowe
May 20, 2013 Gregg Rowe rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime
This is a big disappointemnt for those looking for answers into one of Canada's most notorious murder couples.

There are no answers from Karla herself, though she is portrayed as a woman living in a prison on the outside world.

For me, that is not punishment enough for her involvement in the murders of children.

And the shocker of it all, she has three healthy children of her own. The reader is left wondering if she even thinks about the three she helped kill.

The book was definately written for th
Manda
May 23, 2013 Manda rated it liked it
Brief but fascinating, this is a nicely written look at how a journalist tracked down serial killer Karla Homolka to her new home in Guadeloupe and uncovered the lonely and paranoid life of a mother of three trapped in her own home.

There isn't a lot of substance to this book, but for the curiousity seekers like myself, it gives some sort of closure to the "where are they now?" question that comes up in cases like this.
Barbara McVeigh
Apr 18, 2013 Barbara McVeigh rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
The title sums up the booklet. You won't find any new revelations about Homolka; instead, it is remarkable that Paula Todd found her using sparse facts and by following rumours on the Internet.

Is it a worthwhile read? The text is short & it isn't expensive. Although, I don't want to dwell on her life, upon some reflection, the booklet does answer the question: How does Karla now live?
Shannon
Jul 19, 2014 Shannon rated it really liked it
Short, yes. But offers a follow up for those that wonder about the "where are they now" type questions. Interview with KH/LB doesn't offer much, as would be expected given the circumstances/person. But still found it an interesting and worthwhile read.
Williams91
Jul 18, 2012 Williams91 rated it liked it
I remember losing sleep over these crimes back when they were first exposed. I find it horrifying that this person ever got freedom after what she did. Unfortunately, this book doesn't reveal much about her, other than the facts that she remarried and has children. Disturbing.
Erin
May 22, 2013 Erin rated it it was ok
Not sure what I was expecting....maybe slightly less melodramatic writing, and I do wish there was more information about what Karla Homolka's life is like today.

Re-read during an endless CLE and a NABCA meeting, not because it was good, but because it was there. May 2013.
Michelle Szarka
Jul 22, 2012 Michelle Szarka rated it really liked it
creepy
but i expected way more details into how she found karla...since its titled FINDING Karla.
she also doesn't really tell us what Karla says during that time. its creepy to know This woman who killed three children , now has three children. i think she is a true psycho.
Lance
Sep 05, 2012 Lance rated it really liked it
A.R.
Jul 26, 2013 A.R. rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing account of a brave female journalist that tracked down one of Canada's most heinous serial rapists/killers. A must read.
Kelly Bilokraly-campbell
A quick story of how journalist, Paula Todd, found Karla Homolka living in Guadeloupe with her husband and three young children.
Gloria
Aug 11, 2014 Gloria rated it liked it
Short book but very informative. As I'm sure the public is curious where she is and now she has 3 kids.
Suzanne
Sep 30, 2013 Suzanne rated it liked it
Didn't provide much information, at least no answers from Karla. It did provide a glimpse of her life now in a secluded Caribbean location with a husband and 3 kids.
Steffanie
Mar 30, 2014 Steffanie rated it it was ok
Didn't really tell you anything, read more like an essay. Felt like author was patting herself on the back for finding her....
Mary
Jul 09, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
chilling . to think she is living the kind of life she helped steal away from her victims, makes me feel a sense of disbelief And horror.
Georgina Taylor
May 18, 2013 Georgina Taylor rated it liked it
This was a good book until just when getting into it , it ended. Very short story, not an actual novel. Was very disappointed!
Vanore
Jul 16, 2013 Vanore rated it it was ok
I spent less than $3 on this and got my money's worth. It's a short story basically - that will be of interest to anyone who followed the Homolka/Bernardo case.
Maureen
Oct 02, 2014 Maureen rated it did not like it
A bit of a surprise! A lot of technical stuff. I followed it all in the paper as it was happening and could not believe she is still alive never mind a mother.
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2015
Kim Zimmerman
Kim Zimmerman rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Chrissy
Chrissy rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Nancy Pearson
Nancy Pearson rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2015
Sylvia doherty
Sylvia doherty rated it did not like it
Jan 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Kill For Me
  • Wasted
  • Ascent of Women
  • The Good-Bye Door: The Incredible True Story of America's First Female Serial Killer to Die in the Chair (True Crime)
  • Manson's Right-Hand Man Speaks Out
  • Final Vision: The Last Word on Jeffrey MacDonald
  • Room 1219: The Life of Fatty Arbuckle, the Mysterious Death of Virginia Rappe, and the Scandal That Changed Hollywood
  • The Confessions of an American Black Widow: A True Story of Greed, Lust and a Murderous Wife
  • The Bundy Murders: A Comprehensive History
  • Deadly Little Secrets: The Minister, His Mistress, and a Heartless Texas Murder
  • Ted and Ann: The Mystery of a Missing Child and Her Neighbor Ted Bundy