Start by marking “Hopeless (Hopeless, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hopeless (Hopeless, #1)

Hopeless (Hopeless #1)

4.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  176,707 Ratings  ·  17,100 Reviews
Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the wa
Published December 19th 2012 (first published December 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Hopeless, please sign up.

zubi (My Obsession) You should definitely read it I have read all of colleen hoovers books. She has a way of getting to you heart without you realising. This book is…moreYou should definitely read it I have read all of colleen hoovers books. She has a way of getting to you heart without you realising. This book is amazing. I would also like to recommend slammed by colleen hoover that is the book which got me to start reading and fall in love with it. Everbody has diffrent tastes but i would suggest you give this book a go as well as slammed.
WARNING!! Her book are an emotional rollercoster especially these two (you might need tissues if your an emotional person).!!(less)
Izabela I am not the kind of person, who enjoys all the romances, I usually find them very cheesy/unrealistic. However, "Hopeless" wasn't one one them. The…moreI am not the kind of person, who enjoys all the romances, I usually find them very cheesy/unrealistic. However, "Hopeless" wasn't one one them. The beginning of the book was awful, I have to admit, after first chapter I was like "No way am I gonna like it", because of the main character, but then, a lot of things happened, a lot of facts were released and it really pushed me to read it, I couldn't stop.

I don't spoil things, so the only thing I want to say about this book is that it isn't just about teenage love. It's like the tip of the iceberg. (less)
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesHopeless by Colleen HooverThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenDivergent by Veronica Roth
Best Book Boyfriends
3rd out of 7,078 books — 23,803 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireHopeless by Colleen HooverEasy by Tammara WebberThe Edge of Never by J.A. RedmerskiSlammed by Colleen Hoover
Best YA/New Adult Contemporary Romance
2nd out of 930 books — 3,193 voters

More lists with this book...

Aestas Book Blog
Dec 31, 2012 Aestas Book Blog rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

Potential casting for Holder by Colleen ^^^

EVERYONE DROP WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND READ THIS BOOK!!!!!

Hopeless utterly blew me away. It was the kind of book that makes me want to stand on a rooftop and shout how amazing it is to the whole world! Beautiful, heart-wrenching and uplifting.

5++ stars!! One of best books of 2012!

Colleen Hoover’s writing is absorbing, captivating, and flows so smoothly you barely feel the pages slipping by.

After just reading the prologue, I. Was. Hooked. and I just
Navessa
When I started to read this book there were over 43k ratings and the average was 4.57. I was understandably nervous because in the past such high ratings usually mean that I’m the one person on the planet who’s going to HATE it. Not only did I hate this book (all 70 pages that I managed to read) and all of its horrible stereotypes and cheesy scenes but I was really troubled by it.

You see, I’ve been noticing a disturbing trend in YA/NA books lately and this is probably the best example of it I'v
Emily May
Jan 06, 2014 Emily May rated it did not like it

I am conducting what I'm shelving as a "New Adult (NA) Experiment". I'm going to work my way through some of the popular New Adult books and see if I can weed out the crap and hopefully find some surprising gems. Here's hoping!

When I started this experiment with the New Adult genre, I knew I was going to have to face a lot of things that I wouldn't like. This genre has become known, during it's short lifetime, for its sexism, its slut-shaming, its poor writing, its eyeroll worthy characters and
Dd
Mar 04, 2014 Dd rated it really liked it

Breathless...

Speechless...

Helpless...

Flawless...

........HOPELESS!!

-----------------------------------------------------------

"The sky is always beautiful.Even when it's dark or rainy or cloudy,it's still beautiful to look at....it'll be there no matter what...and I know it'll always be beautiful."

Hello Readers!!

After Slammed and Point of Retreat,Colleen Hoover presents us with Hopeless.And I swear this is something you won't be forgetting anytime soon!!

So meet with Sky---

Want to know what kind
Kat O'Keeffe
Jan 24, 2015 Kat O'Keeffe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was not expecting the emotional punch this book delivered! Hilarious and heartbreaking, though at times the juxtaposition of those two things was a bit jarring. I wasn't a huge fan of the romance at first because I thought the main character made some dumb decisions, but as the relationship developed, I really got on board. The story took some unexpected twists and I liked how it all wrapped up. I also really liked the writing style--it was very addictive, I just flew though this book! Definitel ...more
Debra
5 ENDLESS STARS!!!!

"The sky is always beautiful. Even when it's dark or rainy or cloudy, it's still beautiful to look at. It's my favourite thing because I know if I ever get lost or lonely or scared, I just have to look up and it'll be there no matter what...and I know it'll always be beautiful."

Hope is what comes in the dark of the night
Hope is what whispers 'It will all be alright.'
Hope can blaze like a fire in the heart
Hope can reach across worlds set apart

Hope when lost can bring a wor
Christine Riccio
Oct 26, 2014 Christine Riccio rated it really liked it
I LOVED THIS BOOK. the only reason it's not 5 stars is because it made me really sad at parts but it was wonderful <3 I have a booktalk filmed and i'll be posting it eventually =)
Lola  Reviewer
What a story!

I’m stunned. Did I really read what I just read? Did the author really create such an impressive plot? While I didn’t know who Colleen Hoover truly was before picking one of her works up (so glad I chose Hopeless!), now I do know; she’s a brilliant contemporary romance author.

This is such a heartbreaking story. Yet, it does contain some beautiful moments of joy, swoony love and real honesty. That’s what I preferred the most actually; how honest the main character was with us. She is
Kristen
5 HUGE Stars–And My Favorite Read Of The Year

description

Oh my gosh! This book! This unbelievably heartfelt, emotional, gripping book! I LOVED this book. I mean I REALLY loved this book. Like, I loved EVERY SINGLE THING about this book. I think you get my drift.

It been a long time since I've fallen wholeheartedly in love with a book, its characters, and its love story. I adored this heartbreakingly emotional story. It made me laugh, it made cry, and it made me believe in young love. I loved the heroine, Sk
Richa
Aug 05, 2013 Richa rated it it was amazing
Hopeless - Having no hope, bleak, despairing....isn't that what it means to be hopeless??...But I learnt a different meaning of Hopeless recently....that sometimes being hopeless can mean so much more....

Someone told me I was hopeless....
That I would never go anywhere in my life
That I would have to struggle to survive
That people would point their fingers at me and whisper behind my back
Someone told me I was hopeless....
And I just smiled and nodded and told her that I hoped that's how it always w
Katerina
Mar 09, 2016 Katerina rated it it was amazing
“Not everyone gets a happily every after. Life is real and sometimes it's ugly and you just have to learn how to cope.”

Before I started reading Hopeless,I thought I was ready for everything.The tissues and the chocolate ice-cream were nearby,and the only thing missing was a steel in case I needed to draw an iratze over my heart.It turns out,I was not ready.I was not ready for a book I hated as much as I loved it.

I hated it because it forced me to witness a pain so raw,so deep that felt li
Tough Critic Book Reviews
Dec 25, 2012 Tough Critic Book Reviews rated it it was amazing
She had me at, “completely and comfortably numb.”

BOOK TRAILER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsmHUt...

I almost don't trust myself to write this review because I'm pretty sure...no, I know it will be impossible for me to put into words the experience of Hopeless.

The title in itself is packed with irony because every single thing about this book is...more. I felt this book before I even finished the first chapter. Yes, the story is dark, but this type of beauty doesn’t need light to be seen. This
Alexis *Reality Bites*
SPECIAL SALE! 6-20-13 Audible audio edition of Hopeless is on sale for $1.99 LINK: http://www.amazon.com/Hopeless/dp/B00...
SPOILER FREE REVIEW
5+++ STARS out of 5
Genre: New Adult Romance

Colleen never disappoints!

I LOVED IT!

Photobucket

"Promise me that you will never lose Hope.”
She nods her head as I wipe her tears away with my thumbs.
“I promise,” she says.

High Expectations
I have to be completely honest when I first started this I was not all that impressed. I had very high expectations from the rav
Lisa
Jul 14, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing

4.5 Stars

“And once again in my new world full of heartache and lies, this hopeless boy somehow finds a way to make me smile.”

WOW.

UTTERLY. BEAUTIFUL.

This was my first Colleen Hoover book. I know.... GASP! Hopeless was amazingly perfect. I loved it! I am sort of at a loss as to how to actually write a review for this book. First, the book is indescribable. Second, there are so many great reviews out there already. Alas, I will give it a go...... I will try to convey what a beautiful and fantasti
Kristin (KC)
5 Gorgeous, shining stars! And a couple glow in the dark ceiling ones too...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Seems ironic that a book entitled Hopeless would lead me to become so incredibly and utterly hopeful. There are many reasons why I love to read, but ultimately, I read to become inspired. And, after finishing this phenomenal book, I'm pretty sure I've never wanted to hug an author so badly in my life. Colleen Hoover—the vivid characters you create deserve to be humanized, and the touching stories you write never fail to
Jenny Levine
Dec 25, 2012 Jenny Levine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
“I’ve lost a lot in my long life.
Yes, I’ve seen pain and I’ve seen strife.
But I’ll never give up; I’ll never let go.
Because I’ll always have my ray of hope.”

Linden Sky's life lacks color. Together with her friend, Six, she lives her life. She was branded school slut because she makes out with different boys, but the only reason she's doing that is because she doesn't feel anything with those guys. Just numbness... And she likes not feeling anything at all. Up until she met Holder...

Dean
Whitney Atkinson
11/5/15: i just stumbled across this book in my "read" shelf and saw I gave it 4 stars, which I immediately changed because now, several months later, all I can think about is how badly this book was written instead of the actual good parts.

------

honestly i was expecting so much more out of colleen hoover. i didn't get teary once reading this book. holder was so intense and edward cullen-ish for the first half of this book that i didnt trust him for the rest of the last half. the relationship wa
Glamdring
Jan 06, 2013 Glamdring rated it did not like it
Recommended to Glamdring by: Lex (Fastidious Reader)

Ok, don't kill me but for me, Hopeless was mostly an over the top book.

To be honest, after reading the first chapter I was afraid that it would be a 1 star book, but then luckily things got better unfortunately not that better.

What prevented me from really enjoying Hopeless is not so much the YA genre or the predictability of the story, that the over use of tragic/traumatic events.

Seriously? How many of those an author can use in one single book? (view spoiler)
Jamie
Aug 15, 2013 Jamie rated it it was amazing
If there was such a thing as a perfect book Hopeless would be it. The story doesn't just suck you in, it transforms you. You're still the same person after it's through but there's a little something extra that's been added to your life. The characters were unique and real with their own personalities and quirks like the way Sky just blurts out things that she is thinking or the way she normally doesn't let situations embarrass or bother her and then there's Holder who always pauses a bit before ...more
Amy (Foxy)
Audio book on sale for $1.99 -> http://amzn.to/1HLB1rw
3/26/2015

I reread this one via an audio book. I LOVED IT! Even though it's been 3 years since I've read this story - it still brought back all the same feels from the first time.
8/24/2015

I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!

Holder was an amazing boyfriend!!! As most everyone on GR knows I hate Will Cooper from Slammed. But Colleen Hoover has given me hope in her male characters!!

description

This book touched in me so many ways! I bawled my eyes out!

I spent so much
kristina
Mar 04, 2013 kristina rated it it was amazing

This isn't a book for weak hearted people.
I'm warning you!!!!!
You will difinately cry.

Sky

I loved her a lot! She was proved to be one of the strongest characters of the book . Her past was heartbreaking and as the story flew we were discovering with her , pieces of her past.

“I want you to keep them open...because I need you to watch me give you the very last piece of my heart.”

Holder

He was also fucked-up. (view spoiler)
When he met Sky he did everythi
Akanksha❤ Søren♰
6 Stars!

I butterflying lived&hated this book!

Sky, Holder and Collen Hoover! :D

description

After crossing the 60% mark of this book.. All I could tell myself during many events and scenes was...
Breathe... Breathe... Breathe...

Breathe just a little more.. let the oxygen spread to your lungs and brains!
Because what you are reading..
It just cannot be whats actually written

Hehe, Stayed awake till 8am finishing this book... Pulled an all nighter and oh boy was it worth ever single minute!

"The sky is alwa
Lise *friends don't flag*
Incredible...

"The sky is always beautiful. Even when it’s dark or rainy or cloudy, it’s still beautiful to look at"

description

"he slides his fingers down my arm until he finds my pinky, then wraps his around it. It’s an extremely small gesture, but he couldn’t have done anything more perfect to fill me with the sense of security that I need from him right now"

description

I can't even begin to express how much I loved this book. Simply, heartbreakingly beautiful and I loved every single word written.

Thank-you, Ms.
Pearl Angeli
Another gut-puncher novel written by the one and only Colleen Hoover.

This was a very difficult book to rate for me. I enjoyed Colleen Hoover's books-- mainly Confess which until these days, remains my favorite. After reading Hopeless, I was torn whether I should rate it 3 or 4 stars. In the end though, I chose the former because I have more issues with this book than I've ever thought.

But first, let me give you the good traits about this book. I found this book outstanding because:

* Colleen Hoov
Giselle
Apr 23, 2013 Giselle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow where do I start? At the amazing characters? At the sky rocketing chemistry? At the scenes that are so powerfully emotional that you want to curl into a ball and cry for days? I have nothing but praise for this gem that Colleen has created. This book rocked my world, and then it broke it in two.

Before we get down and heavy into the depths, let's talk about what started it all, and that is the characters. Sky is our protagonist and she could not have been a more enjoyable character for me. S
Samantha Young
Beautifully written, heartbreaking, gutwrenching and stunningly addictive. Adored it.
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Part of my "Huge Review Binge 2k15" (aka trying to catch up on reviews I haven't done in the past two years)

Date read: 6/24/14
Date reviewed: 8/6/15

----------

This book made me really, really angry. I've tried to see the good in it, but I just can't. I'm sorry. I don't get why this book has a 4.40 average rating on Goodreads and why so many people are swooning over how "romantic" it apparently is. This book is not romantic. It glorifies stalking and abuse.

It tries to deal with the subject of sexua
Jennifer Kyle
Dec 24, 2012 Jennifer Kyle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Sea of Tranquility
description

Hopeless is like a puzzle that comes without the picture on the box.

You start to put together the edges to form some sort of frame and learn that it has something to do with a girl named Sky.

While linking the outer pieces of the puzzle you see that you have created Sky’s best friend Six and her adoptive mother named Karen.

Once your pieces are in place for the frame you pick up a piece that has a boy who is wearing a hot pink shirt and tight skinny jeans. He turns out to be the world’s best fri
Angela
Oct 17, 2015 Angela rated it it was amazing

It is a wide known fact that Colleen Hoover is my favorite author, and has never let me down. With Hopeless she continued to keep me happy. I feel like I say this every time I write a review for one of Hoover's books but the only way you should really go into one is by knowing the bare minimum. The people who have reviewed her books have constantly done one thing that still amazes me... The have continued to keep her plot twist a secret. You know good and well that if you have a goodreads accoun
The Reader's Para...: May-16: Hopeless by Colleen Hoover 95 21 6 hours, 17 min ago
Pinterest Books : Hopeless 1 2 May 22, 2016 07:06PM
Around the Year i...: Hopeless, by Colleen Hoover 5 33 May 18, 2016 08:32AM
romance-need help finding this book! 4 82 Mar 14, 2016 06:00PM
It's Not Just a B...: Hopeless by Colleen Hoover 3 5 Feb 23, 2016 01:09AM
It's Not Just a B...: Spoiler Discussion: Hopeless by Colleen Hoover 1 8 Feb 22, 2016 02:42AM
There WILL be a movie! 14 744 Jan 04, 2016 06:48PM
  • Thief (Love Me with Lies, #3)
  • Back to You
  • The Edge of Never (The Edge of Never, #1)
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning, #1)
  • Going Under
  • Sins & Needles (The Artists Trilogy, #1)
  • Tidal
  • More Than Her (More Than, #2)
  • The Coincidence of Callie & Kayden (The Coincidence, #1)
  • Time Stands Still (Emi Lost & Found, #2)
  • Seduced in the Dark (The Dark Duet, #2)
  • Light in the Shadows (Find You in the Dark, #2)
  • The Final Piece
  • Clash (Crash, #2)
  • The Sweet Gum Tree
  • Making Faces
  • Heart on a Chain
  • Wait for You (Wait for You, #1)
I love to write and I love to give away things that I write, so follow me on my Facebook author page at www.facebook.com/authorcolleenhoover

Twitter and Instagram: @colleenhoover

For information about The Bookworm Box, visit www.thebookwormbox.com

More about Colleen Hoover...

Hopeless (2 books)
  • Losing Hope (Hopeless, #2)

5 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“The sky is always beautiful.Even when it's dark or rainy or cloudy,it's still beautiful to look at....it'll be there no matter what...and I know it'll always be beautiful.” 1521 likes
“F#%k all the firsts, Sky. The only thing that matters to me with you are the forevers.” 1369 likes