Start by marking “Cross My Heart, Hope to Die (The Lying Game, #5)” as Want to Read:
Cross My Heart, Hope to Die (The Lying Game, #5)

Cross My Heart, Hope to Die (The Lying Game #5)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  7,187 Ratings  ·  564 Reviews
IT'S NOT EASY BEING ME.

BUT MY TWIN SISTER HAS NO CHOICE.

When I died two months ago, my killer told my twin sister to become me - or else. Now Emma has it down to a T. She tosses her hair with the signature Sutton Mercer flip and can lead a Lying Game prank with the best of them. She's even repairing my relationship with my adoptive family. The only thing she hasn't done is
Published February 5th 2013 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Cross My Heart, Hope to Die, please sign up.

Alexandria This series is absolutely amazing! If you're pondering on reading it, you defiently should! I won't spoil anything for you but, I will tell you that…moreThis series is absolutely amazing! If you're pondering on reading it, you defiently should! I won't spoil anything for you but, I will tell you that it's an emotional rollercoaster. So, you better be prepared. (less)

Feb 17, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was ok
StorySeekers
Jul 01, 2012 StorySeekers marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013
Why is there more than 4 books? I was hoping there will be only 4 so we can finally find out who killed Sutton. I might just wait until the final book is out before finishing the series, hopefully there isn't over 10 books like Pretty Little Liars.
hayden
This was much better than I expected it to be, with a crazy-as-hell ending I never saw coming! It's great to see the book series and TV show diverge.

Full review to come - maybe.

Pre-Review

And you're telling me I'm supposed to be surprised by the two-book extension of this series?

By the way, I totally saw this coming.

It would be pointless for me to tell myself I wasn't going to read this, because I am. I am a self-proclaimed Sara Shepard addict. Saying I'm going to cross this one off my to-read li
Kate ♡
Feb 24, 2015 Kate ♡ rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-read
Actual Rating: 3.95/5 Stars (yes I'm that specific)

This is probably my least favourite book so far in the series, but that by no means says I didn't enjoy it, because it was still awesome!

The last, roughly 100 pages were amazing and so intense, like the other books are!
I just got a little annoyed with the storyline of Becky in this book, I felt like it dragged along a little bit too long.

I did not expect the ending, and I usually expect everything, so that was awesome (but sad)
I have my theorie
Webiny
Jun 29, 2012 Webiny marked it as to-read
I've gotta say, Ms Shepard has gone down a few notches in my esteem with this new move to have more than the proposed 4 books in this series. I suppose this has become a bad habit for her after the success of Pretty Little Liars (I mean, what number are we on now, like, 11 right?). It seems to me that Shepard is milking this story for all it's worth, especially since book 3 had a plot that plummeted sharply in quality from the first 2 books.

It seems to me that the plot of soon-to-be-released boo
Autumn Wind
Jun 30, 2012 Autumn Wind rated it liked it
Oh, no. Not a fifth book. I hope this series does not get dragged out like PLLs.

2/5 I think that the "murder" was an accident in a prank pulled by Ethan that went wrong or Sutton is in a coma somewhere.

3/12 After finishing book 4, I no longer think that Ethan is the "killer." Instead I believe that he will be the "suspect" in the last book.
Cassidy
Apr 23, 2015 Cassidy rated it it was ok
Shelves: summer-2015-tbr

If you want to know who killed Sutton, just skip to the last book. The first five are a complete waste of time. Here is a synopsis that will apply to each one:

1. Follow Emma as she chooses a suspect and follows them around for the entire book.

2. Suffer through random flashbacks with Sutton that incriminate Emma's suspect and make them appear hella guilty.

3. Rip your hair out and throw fits about Emma and Sutton ignoring every suspicious thing about Ethan, including his anger problems,

Rachel
Jun 28, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: really-want-now
Wow! That is my response to the book.

My latest theory;

I have been try to think of a suspect that would make scenes that is not obvious like Ethan.
My idea is Mrs. Mercer. Her first name is Kristin so their might have been a file that Emma did not notice in the file cabinet after she found Becky's. after all she had to frantically book the folder back when the nurse arrived.

Mrs. Mercer is one of the few Emma has not investigated (like most of the parents, but she is one of the important parents
Jessie
Jun 28, 2012 Jessie rated it really liked it
Sara Shepard, I'm loyal to you. You need to stop saying you will do this many books and end up adding more. I heard now there will be six, keep it a six. Is a good number for a series as this. From the summary then it means we won't find out who the killer is on the fourth book. BUMMER.
Nyrfan
Aug 28, 2012 Nyrfan rated it it was amazing
Linda Burroughs
I think Ethan is the killer
Feb 09, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
I'm continuing to make great book choices.

Sara Shepard continues cock-teasing the shit out of us with her addicting yet frustrating 'novels' that are guiltily intriguing yet for the most part just go around in circles while revealing very little.

However, I have read every single one of them despite understanding this. Just because I'm aware of an addiction, does not mean I'm capable of reasoning my way out of it.

This book wasn't too bad though, a couple more pieces of the twin puzzle were put
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
BAM! What an ending! :O

This review contains spoilers. You’ve been warned!

Even though Pretty Little Liars is much more popular I prefer The Lying Game. It just seems more realistic and the plotline still makes sense while PLL has been dragged for way to long. How many books are there? 14? Wow. That is like worse than all those embarrassing House of Night sequels.

We start the book where we last left things. Sutton and Emma’s mum, Rebecca finally shows up and she is hard to catch. In last book we
Celina
Oh the rants I had while reading this book and even after completing it. I am a Sara Shepard addict and I'm not ashamed to admit it. The Lying Game series I happen to like more than The PLL series simply because the series is so far (AND HOPEFULLY WILL FOREVER BE) shorter and more interesting, plot wise. But every book is so predictable. Emma is going to have a brand new suspect and it absolutely HAD to be them and there is no other explanation that person is a murderer there is no evidence ag ...more
Eunice
Feb 12, 2013 Eunice rated it it was amazing
Jessi
Oct 25, 2016 Jessi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
Vollständiges Review auch hier: https://xobooksheaven.wordpress.com/

Für diejenigen, die Band 1 – 3 noch nicht gelesen haben, könnte die Rezension Spoiler enthalten!!!!!

Inhalt:

»Sutton ist tot. Sag es niemandem. Spiel weiter mit … Oder du bist als Nächste dran.« Vor zwei Monaten wurde Emma Paxtons Zwillingsschwester Sutton umgebracht und der unbekannte Mörder hat Emma gezwungen, Suttons Platz einzunehmen. Emma ist fest entschlossen, den Täter zu entlarven. Die Shortlist der Verdächtigen wird immer
Jess
Demi
Oct 28, 2012 Demi rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012, 4-stars
Kirsty
Apr 01, 2016 Kirsty rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, 2013
This series is really intense and it always keeps me guessing. The book slowly reveals information but it still keeps you wondering who the killer is. As soon as we have a suspect we discover that they aren't the killer.

I can't wait to see how this series will wrap up. I honestly have no idea who the killer is and I think it will be a shock once everything is revealed. There was a massive cliffhanger at the end of this book which was really unexpected and left me really shocked.

I prefer this s
Kathi Bookworld
Jan 22, 2017 Kathi Bookworld rated it really liked it
Ich finde die Reihe immer noch sehr gut, aber ich bin weiterhin misstrauisch und überzeugt, dass ich Recht habe, auch wenn Sara Shepard schon diverse Male versucht hat, alle zu verwirren.
Raluca Bratfalean
Jul 29, 2012 Raluca Bratfalean rated it really liked it
SPOILERS:

This was a quite good book. 'Quite' because it started a little slow IMHO. But it was really cool especially at the end. Somehow I knew that something like that would happen to Nisha. It would have been to easy to find out some real answers now, because there still is another book to come.

But my theory is very simple, and I sure many others have also thought of it. Ever since book 3 I was pretty sure Ethan was the murderer. Way too many subtle clues. And at the end of this book, it was
Khala
Oct 13, 2012 Khala rated it it was amazing

I cant wait for this book to come out! i just finished reading #4, and now, as always, i want to know what happened next.

Does anyone think they know who Sutton's killer is? thats what i want to know.

at the end of the book, i ended up making a list of possible suspects based on what we dont know about where they were the night sutton died. here it is:

Becky (duh.)

Ethan (did emma ever ask where he was the night Sutton died? Sara would end up having him be the killer)

Garret (unlikely, since he

Samantha Lewis
Mar 29, 2013 Samantha Lewis rated it really liked it
I really like Lying Game series.. But I think Sara might've dragged it too long!! Please.. We just wanna know who killed Sutton!! **SPOILERS ALERT!** Okay, after reading this series, my suspicion is on Ethan. Why? Because... :
1) Emma NEVER asked him where he was the night Sutton died
2) He obviously had a crush on Sutton and was kinda obsessed with her.
3) He could've hacked into Sutton's Facebook page and replied to Emma's message(Book 1) and lured her to Tucson, since he's good with computer and
Luke
Jun 21, 2012 Luke rated it it was amazing
Cross My Heart, Hope To Die is the fifth book in The Lying Game series by Sara Shepard.

Becky, the mother of Emma and Sutton, is in town and recognizes Emma immediately. Is it only a mother's intuition...or does she already know Sutton's gone?

I really like The Lying Game series. No, I really, really, really like The Lying Game series. Like the other instalments, Cross My Heart, Hope To Die was well-plotted, beautifully written, with strong characters. The ending most shocked me.

Who killed Sutton?
Kirsten
Mar 03, 2013 Kirsten rated it it was amazing
I think Ethan being the killer is to obvious and Sara Shepard never picks the obvious character.

I think that Dr. Bannerjee my have had an affair with Becky while she was going through treatment and Nisha figured it out which would be the reason for her death, however I don't really think that he would kill his own daughter.

OR

Mr. Chamberlain killed Sutton because she found out that he was having an affair with Becky which resulted in the twins, or Mrs. Chamberlain killed her because she found o
Sharon Mariampillai
I thought this book was better than the last one, but what bugs me about this series is that it doesn't give you anything major. It's official the only reason I am reading this series is to find out who the killer is. Therefore, I find this series boring and unevenly fil. I hope it gets better because I don't want to be dragged out too long. Overall, an okay read. Needs more suspense to improve my rating.
Evey
Okay, I'll be honest... I didn't expect what happened in the end, and it's the only reason why I decided not to give it a two stars. However, I insist with what I've said before—there was absolutely NO need to write six books in this series. With three would've been enough.
Buddy
Jun 21, 2016 Buddy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
immer diese miesen Cliffhanger...ich will endlich eine Auflösung ...ahhhj
Mila RD
Aug 06, 2012 Mila RD rated it really liked it
ugghhhhh i know who's the killer
Isabella Mills
Jun 01, 2015 Isabella Mills rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Wow.
Okay so I still suspect Ethan and I want to love him though. Ugh.
Tha hers pretty cool
YA lovers <3: Cross My Heart, Hope To Die 1 2 Jul 12, 2014 02:34AM
Did you really believe that after the 3rd book the suspected killers really did it? 3 15 Sep 15, 2013 08:55AM
Ethan killed Sutton? 7 51 Sep 10, 2013 05:44PM
Who has read this book? What do you think of it? 1 15 May 09, 2013 01:29PM
Good Book 1 13 Mar 05, 2013 10:36PM
Sara Shepard Book...: Cross My Heart And Hope To Die 2 24 Feb 23, 2013 05:21PM
Sutton's Murderer 1 56 Dec 01, 2012 07:53AM
  • Cruel Love (Privilege, #6)
  • Classic (It Girl, #10)
  • There's No Place Like Home (Secrets of My Hollywood Life, #6)
  • Deadly Little Lessons (Touch, #5)
  • Top of the Feud Chain (Alphas, #4)
  • Deep Betrayal (Lies Beneath, #2)
  • Rules of Summer (Rules of Summer, #1)
  • The Lucky Ones (Bright Young Things, #3)
Sara Shepard graduated from NYU and has an MFA from Brooklyn College. She has lived in New York City, Brooklyn, Tucson, Arizona, Philadelphia, and now lives in Pittsburgh, PA. Sara's Pretty Little Liars novels were inspired by her upbringing in Philadelphia's Main Line.
More about Sara Shepard...

The Lying Game (6 books)
  • The Lying Game (The Lying Game, #1)
  • Never Have I Ever (The Lying Game, #2)
  • Two Truths and a Lie (The Lying Game, #3)
  • Hide and Seek (The Lying Game, #4)
  • Seven Minutes in Heaven (The Lying Game, #6)

“Sometimes you have to admit that a relationship can't be fixed. That no matter how much you want to, you can't trust some people.” 29 likes
“But you can't make someone be something they're not.” 24 likes