Cross My Heart, Hope To Die (The Lying Game, #5)

Cross My Heart, Hope To Die (The Lying Game #5)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  4,109 ratings  ·  421 reviews
Cross My Heart, Hope to Die is the fifth title in the suspenseful and twisted Lying Game series by Sara Shepard, author of the #1 New York Times bestselling series Pretty Little Liars.

Ever since Sutton Mercer's murderer tricked her long-lost twin, Emma, into coming to Tucson, Emma has been trying to solve the mystery of Sutton's death. And now someone else is back in town-...more
Published February 5th 2013 by HarperTeen (first published February 1st 2013)

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareUnited We Spy by Ally CarterPerfect Scoundrels by Ally CarterRequiem by Lauren Oliver
Reasons to Look Forward to 2013
45th out of 500 books — 1,108 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareSwitch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  PrinceRequiem by Lauren OliverScarlet by Marissa Meyer
YA & MG Novels of 2013
23rd out of 376 books — 698 voters

More lists with this book...

Well clearly I was a whole lot of WRONG. And it's disappointing because I apparently gave Shepard way too much credit, thinking she was using things like, oh say - literary devices like foreshadowing and back story. Why Sara, if it was entirely meaningless to the story, did you bother with the whole Chamberlain cheating scandal? What a useless waste of page space. Oh well, I still think my ending would've been a smarter, less obvious ending.

I am convinced I know who the killer is.

Stop here if...more
StorySeekers
Jul 19, 2012 StorySeekers marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013
Why is there more than 4 books? I was hoping there will be only 4 so we can finally find out who killed Sutton. I might just wait until the final book is out before finishing the series, hopefully there isn't over 10 books like Pretty Little Liars.
Maisie
Feb 05, 2013 Maisie marked it as to-read
I like the title.

But I don't like the fact that this series is stretching out JUST LIKE PLL.

I AM SERIOUSLY BEGINNING TO THINK THAT SARA HERSELF DOESNT ACTUALLY KNOW WHO KILLED SUTTON

I MEAN

WHO THE FOOK CAN IT BE NOW I BET SHE'LL INTRODUCE SOME OTHER CHARACTER AND SHE'LL BE LIKE YEAH THIS GUY/GIRL DID IT

and i'll be like

...

but i have to read it to find out (when I finally read #3 and #4)
Hayden Casey
This was much better than I expected it to be, with a crazy-as-hell ending I never saw coming! It's great to see the book series and TV show diverge.

Full review to come - maybe.

Pre-Review

And you're telling me I'm supposed to be surprised by the two-book extension of this series?

By the way, I totally saw this coming.

It would be pointless for me to tell myself I wasn't going to read this, because I am. I am a self-proclaimed Sara Shepard addict. Saying I'm going to cross this one off my to-read li...more
Webiny
Jun 29, 2012 Webiny marked it as to-read
I've gotta say, Ms Shepard has gone down a few notches in my esteem with this new move to have more than the proposed 4 books in this series. I suppose this has become a bad habit for her after the success of Pretty Little Liars (I mean, what number are we on now, like, 11 right?). It seems to me that Shepard is milking this story for all it's worth, especially since book 3 had a plot that plummeted sharply in quality from the first 2 books.

It seems to me that the plot of soon-to-be-released boo...more
Autumn Wind
Oh, no. Not a fifth book. I hope this series does not get dragged out like PLLs.

2/5 I think that the "murder" was an accident in a prank pulled by Ethan that went wrong or Sutton is in a coma somewhere.

3/12 After finishing book 4, I no longer think that Ethan is the "killer." Instead I believe that he will be the "suspect" in the last book.
Rachel
Wow! That is my response to the book.

My latest theory;

I have been try to think of a suspect that would make scenes that is not obvious like Ethan.
My idea is Mrs. Mercer. Her first name is Kristin so their might have been a file that Emma did not notice in the file cabinet after she found Becky's. after all she had to frantically book the folder back when the nurse arrived.

Mrs. Mercer is one of the few Emma has not investigated (like most of the parents, but she is one of the important parents...more
Antonio
Sara Shepard, I'm loyal to you. You need to stop saying you will do this many books and end up adding more. I heard now there will be six, keep it a six. Is a good number for a series as this. From the summary then it means we won't find out who the killer is on the fourth book. BUMMER.
Linda Burroughs
I think Ethan is the killer
Nyrfan
I'm continuing to make great book choices.

Sara Shepard continues cock-teasing the shit out of us with her addicting yet frustrating 'novels' that are guiltily intriguing yet for the most part just go around in circles while revealing very little.

However, I have read every single one of them despite understanding this. Just because I'm aware of an addiction, does not mean I'm capable of reasoning my way out of it.

This book wasn't too bad though, a couple more pieces of the twin puzzle were put...more
Zemira Warner
BAM! What an ending! :O

This review contains spoilers. You’ve been warned!

Even though Pretty Little Liars is much more popular I prefer The Lying Game. It just seems more realistic and the plotline still makes sense while PLL has been dragged for way to long. How many books are there? 14? Wow. That is like worse than all those embarrassing House of Night sequels.

We start the book where we last left things. Sutton and Emma’s mum, Rebecca finally shows up and she is hard to catch. In last book we...more
Celina
Oh the rants I had while reading this book and even after completing it. I am a Sara Shepard addict and I'm not ashamed to admit it. The Lying Game series I happen to like more than The PLL series simply because the series is so far (AND HOPEFULLY WILL FOREVER BE) shorter and more interesting, plot wise. But every book is so predictable. Emma is going to have a brand new suspect and it absolutely HAD to be them and there is no other explanation that person is a murderer there is no evidence ag...more
Demi
Jess
Ralu
SPOILERS:

This was a quite good book. 'Quite' because it started a little slow IMHO. But it was really cool especially at the end. Somehow I knew that something like that would happen to Nisha. It would have been to easy to find out some real answers now, because there still is another book to come.

But my theory is very simple, and I sure many others have also thought of it. Ever since book 3 I was pretty sure Ethan was the murderer. Way too many subtle clues. And at the end of this book, it was...more
Eunice
Luke
Cross My Heart, Hope To Die is the fifth book in The Lying Game series by Sara Shepard.

Becky, the mother of Emma and Sutton, is in town and recognizes Emma immediately. Is it only a mother's intuition...or does she already know Sutton's gone?

I really like The Lying Game series. No, I really, really, really like The Lying Game series. Like the other instalments, Cross My Heart, Hope To Die was well-plotted, beautifully written, with strong characters. The ending most shocked me.

Who killed Sutton?...more
Elsa
Oct 18, 2012 Elsa marked it as to-read
There's more?! FML this better not end up like Shitty Little Liars.
description
Mila RD
ugghhhhh i know who's the killer
Meryl
So I'm still thinking there's a decent chance that (view spoiler) is the killer. In all of Sutton's death memories, she keeps mentioning (view spoiler). These are tagged as spoilers because there is some reference to the end of this book, not because I have any true idea of what will happen in the future. (view spoiler)...more
Janelle Dazzlepants
Alison
I was so hoping Cross My Heart, Hope To Die was going to be the last book in the series. And then, I just found out recently that their is a 6th book. Seriously? Sara Shepard, if you ever get to read this: listen to your fans. The book series has seriously gone on long enough. PLL has already gone past the where it should have been stopped.

My thoughts on the suspects:
Mr. Mercer Doubtful. Seriously, Ted Mercer killing Sutton? Why would he want to kill his granddaughter?

Ethan: Ethan could've lie...more
Khala

I cant wait for this book to come out! i just finished reading #4, and now, as always, i want to know what happened next.

Does anyone think they know who Sutton's killer is? thats what i want to know.

at the end of the book, i ended up making a list of possible suspects based on what we dont know about where they were the night sutton died. here it is:

Becky (duh.)

Ethan (did emma ever ask where he was the night Sutton died? Sara would end up having him be the killer)

Garret (unlikely, since he

Charlotte (Gypsy Reviews)
Originally posted at Gypsy Reviews

Sara Shepard keeps The Lying Game series going with an endless amount of sequels to this series and absolutely no conclusion as to who killed Sutton. This book is not different from the other books in the series, generally all these books have a central plot where Emma will suspect someone killed Sutton and follow up on this. Then Sutton will regain a memory of the night she was murdered and find out that they didn’t murder Sutton.

Despite the predictable plot, t...more
Erica Alyson
Just like the last few books this followed the same model where they focus most of the book on a suspect and then rule it out at the end and open it up for another book. I like these books but it is taking too long to find out who the killer is.

The focus in this book is Becky (view spoiler)

The people it hasn't really focused on as the killer are the people I am thinking it coul...more
Samantha Lewis
I really like Lying Game series.. But I think Sara might've dragged it too long!! Please.. We just wanna know who killed Sutton!! **SPOILERS ALERT!** Okay, after reading this series, my suspicion is on Ethan. Why? Because... :
1) Emma NEVER asked him where he was the night Sutton died
2) He obviously had a crush on Sutton and was kinda obsessed with her.
3) He could've hacked into Sutton's Facebook page and replied to Emma's message(Book 1) and lured her to Tucson, since he's good with computer and...more
Tess
Kirsten
I think Ethan being the killer is to obvious and Sara Shepard never picks the obvious character.

I think that Dr. Bannerjee my have had an affair with Becky while she was going through treatment and Nisha figured it out which would be the reason for her death, however I don't really think that he would kill his own daughter.

OR

Mr. Chamberlain killed Sutton because she found out that he was having an affair with Becky which resulted in the twins, or Mrs. Chamberlain killed her because she found o...more
Cayley Lam-tracey
Jun 15, 2014 Cayley Lam-tracey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Others the same age as me
YA lovers <3: Cross My Heart, Hope To Die 1 1 Jul 12, 2014 02:34AM
Did you really believe that after the 3rd book the suspected killers really did it? 3 8 Sep 15, 2013 08:55AM
Ethan killed Sutton? 7 44 Sep 10, 2013 05:44PM
Who has read this book? What do you think of it? 1 14 May 09, 2013 01:29PM
Good Book 1 13 Mar 05, 2013 10:36PM
Sara Shepard Book...: Cross My Heart And Hope To Die 2 23 Feb 23, 2013 05:21PM
Sutton's Murderer 1 52 Dec 01, 2012 07:53AM
  • Cruel Love (Privilege, #6)
  • Gossip Girl, Psycho Killer (Gossip Girl, #13)
  • Infamous (Fame Game, #3)
  • Fire with Fire (Burn for Burn, #2)
  • Rules of Summer (Rules of Summer, #1)
  • House at the End of the Street
  • True (Elixir, #3)
  • The Temptation (The Secret Circle, #6)
  • Belles (Belles, #1)
Sara Shepard graduated from NYU and has an MFA from Brooklyn College. She currently lives in Tucson, Arizona. Sara's Pretty Little Liars novels were inspired by her upbringing in Philadelphia's Main Line.
More about Sara Shepard...
Pretty Little Liars (Pretty Little Liars, #1) Flawless (Pretty Little Liars, #2) Perfect (Pretty Little Liars, #3) Unbelievable (Pretty Little Liars, #4) Killer (Pretty Little Liars, #6)

“But you can't make someone be something they're not.” 21 likes
“Sometimes you have to admit that a relationship can't be fixed. That no matter how much you want to, you can't trust some people.” 21 likes