Start by marking “Ивы зимой” as Want to Read:
Ивы зимой

Ивы зимой (Tales of the Willows #1)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,095 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
"Ивы зимой" - продолжение книги Кеннета Грэма "Ветер в ивах". Те же герои: мудрый Барсук, доблестный Рэт Водяная Крыса, добрый и мужественный Крот, тщеславный Тоуд Жаба, заботливый отец Выдра - живут в своих домиках, пережидают суровую зиму, помогают друг другу как могут. Пока не случается кое-что необыкновенное. И в трудных обстоятельствах каждый из обитателей прибрежных ...more
Published 1994 by Азбука (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Ивы зимой, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ивы зимой

Petra X
May 05, 2015 Petra X rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Petra X by: 569035-mark skelton
Shelves: children, reviewed
A sequel to a well-loved children's story that isn't a patch on the original The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame but is charming nonetheless. The book also seemed to be split into two stories with a very tenuous thread linking them. I could see that this could be worked out in a film but reading it was a bit disjointed. It wasn't really the story though that the book didn't really succeed on for me, it was the characters.

When we read a book we get a distinct idea of the characters within
Mark
It having been some time since I last read 'Wind in the Willows' my approach to this sequel, picked up in a second hand bookshop a while ago, was uncertain. I could remember the names of the characters, I could recall the general outline of the Kenneth Grahame's classic but I could not really call to mind the way the individual characters react and relate to one another in that story.

This was probably a blessing. I read this book without my placing the rather unfair pressure on the new writer o
Kailey
Usually I am pretty skeptical of sequels not written by the original author, but from the very first sentence I completely forgot that it wasn't Kenneth Grahame himself writing this book! This is a PERFECT imitation of Grahame's writing! It just wraps you up all cozy like a warm familiar blanket, and sweeps you away to the magical world of the Willows.

The illustrations are delightful. Every character is perfectly as they should be. They pop right back to life! Each story line is interesting, fu
Nicole
Apr 16, 2015 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well lets see. This one wasn't available via e-book so I bought it in December last year. Today was a cloudy and rainy day to I decided it is the right weather and day for this book. This is a sequel to the beloved classic of Kenneth Grahams story The wind in the willows written in the 19th century. And one of my most favourite books. I have read it many times and the story of the Wild Wood,of Toad Hall,of the river bank,of Ratty,Mole and Badger is and has been a delight.So I was very curious to ...more
Marsha
Mr. Horwood has brought us his own story about Mr. Grahame’s beloved characters. Here are Mole, Rat, Otter, Badger and the irrepressible Toad all brought to life once more without a note out of place. The voices of the characters are just as you remember them, their exploits, habits and mannerisms as endearing as that of old relatives.

Toad appeared reformed by the end of The Wind in the Willows. But a leopard can’t change its spots and Toad’s subsequent bad behavior has him falling off the wago
Wayne
Aug 17, 2009 Wayne marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
HAVE ADDED A VIP Post Script!!!see below.

Once I have read the two completions of Jane Austen's
unfinished "Sanditon" - I've already read "Rebecca's Tale", Sally Beauman's sequel to Daphne du Maurier's classic "Rebecca",(Goodness!!!Was that whirring sound dear Daphne spinning in her grave???)- I think I will get stuck into this sequel to "Wind in the Willows".And William Horwood has written not only one sequel but several!!A regular feast for the desperate lovers of the Original.(I may well be on
Zoe
Mar 17, 2011 Zoe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This is an admirable sequel to one of the greatest childrens works of all time, but it has one flaw: it is not for children.

Oh, it keeps the same characters, they get into the same amusing scuffs, their emotional upheaveal isn't too far in the forefront, and for the most part, Horwood follows the language Graham used so artlessly and so beautifully. However, it is simply too long for the children the original was aimed at, and if a book is unattainable by its target audience, its not quite perfe
J. Aleksandr Wootton
If you missed William Horwood's 1990s continuation of The Wind in the Willows, you're in for a treat - especially if you, like Horwood, finished that great work and thought, "Toad altered! I don't believe a word of it!"

Nor should you. For this time around, Toad's obsessive nature has left off motorcars in favor of something Bigger, Louder, Faster and BETTER: an aeroplane.

Of course, of course adventure and escapades ensue. And meanwhile, poor Mole...

But I shan't say any more.

The Willows in Winter
Bryan
Jul 03, 2014 Bryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Horwood did a good job with the characters but he didn't have to keep calling Ratty "Water Rat". The original book generally called him Rat or Ratty. While reading the book I kept hearing the voices from the Cosgrove/Hall series. The characters stayed true to the original.
Dave Fellows
3/5 stars. I read this aloud to/with my better half and well...she liked it. I thought it was OK, and I'd guess it's in keeping with the original but I can't say for sure as I've not read it yet. There was some noticeable fluff in the middle where a couple of characters discuss "Beyond", a fruitless conversation in the context of this book as it came to absolutely nothing (although I think a future instalment returns to this theme). The animals teared up a little too often for my liking; it seem ...more
Kate
"Here, at last, is thye stunning recreation of the much-loved world of Kenneth Grahame's The Wind in the Willows that we secretly all know we wanted, but never dared hope we might find ...

"For now, in an act of homage and celebration, William Horwood has brought to life once more the four most-loved characters in English literature: the loyal Mole, the resourceful Water Rat, the stern but wise Badger, and of course, the exasperating, irresistible Toad. Published in England in 1993, it was a reso
Angie
I was thrilled to find a sequel to The Wind in the Willows, so picked this book up. Although I thought it odd to be by another author, W. Horwood, instead of K. Grahame. I have mixed feelings about this book. At times, it was difficult to read....to follow as the vocabulary and writing was not smooth. At other times it was very enjoyable. I used this as a read aloud to my 8 yr old son. I had already read The Wind in the Willows to him. I would highly suggest reading that book before this one, si ...more
Chris
Jan 07, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a very enjoyable, really fast-paced and really heartwarming children's fantasy chapter book. It had really well-drawn illustrations, great characters, great humor, great adventure and a very interesting story. I haven't read this book in a very long time. This is a very nice sequel to "The Wind in the Willows." I'm looking forward to read more "Tales of the Willows" series include "Toad Triumphant" and "The Willows and Beyond." I would recommend this book to fans of the original.
Janeen-san
Usually I'm sucpicious of books by different authors, but somehow my grandma convinced me to get this book. I'm sort of glad I did, it continued the story oringally told by Kenneth Grahame in a cute way--True, there are some dashes were there should have been periods, and Mole End was oringilly underground, but all in all it was a good book. Near the end the story really picked up. I'm glad I read this, it was interesting, but Kenneth Grahame's The Wind in the Willows will always be a speical ge ...more
Delphine
Dec 20, 2015 Delphine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Opvolger van 'The wind in the willows' van Kenneth Grahame. Dierenepos voor kinderen én volwassenen, met vertrouwde personages als de Pad, de Rat, de Das en de Otter. Thema's zoals de verloren zoon, vergiffenis, en het onvermogen van dieren/mensen om te veranderen, zitten kunstig in het verhaal verweven.
Shane Hunziker
It's close but not quite right. I'm not sure Horwood quite captured the depth of the characters in Grahame's classic. There are aspects of the story that do work, though, specifically in regard to Toad. Horwood's Toad comes closest to capturing the classic character. I will say, too, that the illustrations are divine. The illustrator got it right.
F.j.commelin
Jan 29, 2016 F.j.commelin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
after during the festive season having reread ''The willows at Christmas'' i started at rereading this one as it was still so wintry ouitside.
And again i enjoyed every moment.
Also it never fails to moves me at vertain passages.
Raevyn (Christian and Proud)
A great sequel. Sometimes the writing was so reminiscent of the original that I had a hard time remembering that this was written by a different man, in a different decade. Recommended for fans of The Wind in the Willows.
Tonari
Nov 20, 2013 Tonari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bello :)
Lo spirito dell'opera originale è intatto e questa è la cosa più importante. Tasso, Talpa, Ratto, Rospo, ci sono tutti e sono tutti esattamente come li ricordavo, vividi e convincenti.
Letto con l'arrivo dei primi freddi mi ha messo nel giusto spirito di questo autunno inoltrato. Belle anche le illustrazioni.

Particolarmente gustosa la scena del processo, comicamente grottesca, per quanto (view spoiler)
Strey
Mar 11, 2011 Strey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked up in a charity shop - it did that 'look at me, you know you'll regret not buying me' thing! I was a little disappointed, as I expected it to live up to Grahame's classic. I guess a bit unfair & once I'd got over that, it was a nice story, on familiar ground & with the usual characters. Not as 'ethereal' & cosy as 'Wind', but not objectional & a brave attempt. I live/work by the river & the author's background also helped me to like the book! Overall I was glad I have ...more
Heather
Jun 22, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animal-stories
Really enjoyed this book.

If you always want to know 'what happens next', this is the book to read. More adventures of Mole, Ratty, Toad and Badger...including missing animals and a magnificent flying machine!
Anna
Nov 09, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time I have read a 'sequel' by other than the original author. As in all of life it is not possible to revisit an exact earlier experience. The reader has changed and the world has changed. This book is a wonderful trip however back to The Willows world and adds its own individual complimentary dimension. A wonderful book to enjoy as an adult too!
Seth
Feb 27, 2014 Seth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I started off apprehensive, but as the book progressed I was impressed with Horwood's homage. The poetry in the prose never quite matches Kenneth Grahame's, but overall it is a worthy tribute to a beloved classic. The only reason I give it 4 stars instead of 5 is that it's not as good as the original.
Kristine
3 and 1/2 stars. Wordy but witty.

Vivid character focus building believably on the classic Wind in the Willows.

Not much happens action-wise.

There are other related books by this author.

Brian F
Mar 24, 2015 Brian F rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really enjoyable read. The Characters of Toad, Ratty, Badger and Mole return when the Ground is all frosty and crisp...Mole's Nephew comes visiting and Toad is up to his old tricks again, leading to one or two scrapes with the law, and the arm of Badger!

This had me smiling at every page.
Gigi
Dec 14, 2015 Gigi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what a lovely, sweet book. so nice to read this time of year. a faithful sequel.
Cherney
Aug 30, 2014 Cherney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book
John Gentry
Nov 20, 2013 John Gentry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I wanted to love this sequel but in the end it turned out to be just OK. The characters just didn't have the same life within them and while I had fun reading it out loud at night to my fiancee I just wouldn't have been able to do it any other way. This is unfortunate but I don't know why I would expect anything else. Regardless when some day I have children it will be read to them as well because the adventures of Mole, Badger, Water Rat, and Toad are a must for any childhood to be complete.
Thomas
Apr 27, 2015 Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worthy.
Claire
Dec 03, 2009 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gift
This is an unofficial sequel to 'the Wind in the Willows', and carries on the adventures of Toad, Mole, Rat, Badger, and the other animals. Even though it's written by another author, he does manage to capture Grahame's writing style very well and it flows well from the first book. Obviously not one for the puritians, but I quite enjoyed it. It's great to see what might have happened next to the characters that I've grown up with.
  • The Wombles
  • Mrs. Peter Rabbit
  • Spring Story
  • In the Grip of Winter (Farthing Wood, #2)
  • Thomas The Tank Engine: The Complete Collection
  • Little Tim and the Brave Sea Captain
  • Midnite: The Story of a Wild Colonial Boy
  • Bonjour, Babar!: The Six Unabridged Classics by the Creator of Babar
  • When the Sky is Like Lace
  • Dorrie and the Witch Doctor (Dorrie the Little Witch, #5)
  • Witch's Business
  • Brother Sun, Sister Moon: Saint Francis of Assisi's Canticle of the Creatures
  • More Milly Molly Mandy

Tales of the Willows (4 books)
  • Toad Triumphant