Start by marking “The Inscrutable Americans” as Want to Read:
The Inscrutable Americans

The Inscrutable Americans

3.26  ·  Rating Details ·  5,723 Ratings  ·  288 Reviews
This is an alternate cover edition of ISBN 8171670407.The Inscrutable Americans

This hilarious novel describes one year spent on a small university campus in the US, by an Indian student. His English is comically Indian, and his initial notions of America are absurdly inadequate and stereotyped. The theme of the novel is his comic discovery of America, and his own growth an
Paperback, Fiftieth, 248 pages
Published 2011 by Rupa (first published July 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Inscrutable Americans, please sign up.

Isha It is as American as an Indian can be in the US.

Ashwini
Oct 30, 2012 Ashwini rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It started off really well!

It was hilarious, I thought. The stereotypical cultural references to the average Indian upbringing were spot on. The letters written by Gopal- the protagonist- from the U.S to his brother in India are laugh out loud funny! Unnecessary capitalization of phrases like "Higher Studies" and "Revered Grandmother" are adorable as is his puzzlement with everything American.

Gopal-the-village-boy's innocence has been portrayed quite convincingly and his obsession with Jajau's H
Jonathan
Dec 05, 2014 Jonathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book reads like a young Indian man's dream of what Americans are like, with a university student-level twist on global geopolitics. It is occasionally funny, occasionally offensive, and always naive and immature.

Within this mode, one issue dominates. The book's image of American women as sex addicts who will sleep with anyone and everyone, and just can't wait to make love to an obnoxious Indian boy, is depressing. The author has an incredibly low view of White women that permeates the narrat
Asra Ghouse
Jul 02, 2011 Asra Ghouse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who understand humor
You see there aren't many books that make me laugh out loud. The Inscrutable Americans was the first book that could do this. I first read this book at the age of 14. Adolescent I was, I could relate to the transitory period in Gopal's (the protagonist) life.

The story is about an Indian boy Gopal, hailing from a small town in Madhya Pradesh who goes to USA to pursue his higher education. There he battles the usual issues faced by an Indian living in the US- racism, sexual discomforts, food, etc.
Deeksha Kapoor
Aug 14, 2007 Deeksha Kapoor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this book over 4 yrs ago sitting on a bus. I laughed so hard the old man sitting next to me actually had to get up and change his seat because he thought I was mad!!

There are tons of books that have cropped up recently dealing with the lives of the ABCD's living abroad as well as the adventures and the misadventures of fresh of the boat people who traveled from remote cities in India to foreign lands; but since this is the first one I read - I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Priyanka
Nov 28, 2011 Priyanka rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book on the recommendation of a friend. I had no idea about his reading habits, so this was done purely out of respect for said friend. However this book was so annoying and stereotypical that I vowed never to take recommendations from friends again, lest I lose respect for them. Eventually, this sentiment led me to join goodreads.com so that I can take recommendations from perfect strangers online and choose to agree or disagree without affecting my private life in any way. Goo ...more
Śrī
Jul 21, 2012 Śrī rated it it was amazing
Great read! It was funny cover-to-cover, and the author captures the immigrant experience of culture clash really well. Some of the perspectives are dated, but even those were true when the book was written.
Carolyn
A cute, charming story about Gopal, a young man from a small town in India, who comes to the U.S. for his final year of college at a small midwestern campus. It's usually amusing and sometimes hilarious as he tries to understand American customs and idioms with the help of his young mentor, Randy, a fellow student assigned by the dean to show him around. Gopal at first assumes Randy is a description rather than a name, and he isn't far wrong. Part of Gopal's preparation includes a selection of A ...more
Deepak Motiramani
Apr 21, 2010 Deepak Motiramani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hillarious
The book Inscrutable Americans by Anurag Mathur is a hilarious adventure of a young Indian in United States. Like most students the character Gopal also goes through culture shocks and its very well articulated by the author. The novelty of this book is light read, simple wordings and introduction to American culture to an outsider.
Tarun jain
Aug 25, 2011 Tarun jain marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
“The Inscrutable Americans” By Anurag Mathur
This is one of the funniest books I have ever read by an Indian author. When Anurag Mathur had written this book, India was still not connected with rest of the world through TV and Internet. For the hero of the book who is a simple and “virgin” guy from India, America and Americans were really Inscrutable. The book is a story of this simple guy who goes to America to study and along with studies his another main motive is to lose his virginity.

His fri
Sandeep Kumar
I had bought this one at a railway bookstore in year 2005 for 80-90 Rupees. In those days that was the most money I carried with me. I can't forget the amusing language the book had and reading it was such a fun then. America was still alien to me, and reading story of a guy who had probably funnier English than mine was a complete amusement. I don't know whether I will still like it as much as I did the first time and that's a shame!
But,there is an incident I still remember which sealed its re
Mugen
Jan 07, 2017 Mugen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely horrible grammar throughout the book. How could someone publish this piece of shit without getting at least the grammar corrected. Here are some of the sentences:

"Then I'm going to long bathroom"

"Then I am sleeping long time after London and when I'm waking it is like we are flying over sea of lights"

"Still please tell her I have done needful".

How can someone with such a horrible English put that "inscrutable" word in the title? Sounds like someone else did it for him. But how did a re
Gangambika
Jun 06, 2015 Gangambika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book thoroughly! Sure, it isn't the kind of book that you would want to marry, but it's not a bad one-night stand. I expected no more from it, and so while I can see why my friend called it a glorified Chetan Bhagat, I laughed out loud and thought some of the plays on stereotypes were quite funny. By the end though, it got a little cliched and boring so I'm glad the book ended when it did or I'd have gotten quite sick of it.
Shruti
Mar 29, 2015 Shruti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is probably the only book written by an Indian author for the Young-adult genre that actually qualifies as literature. Though I didn't know it was published in the 90s, I read it a few years back. I liked the underlying humour in the innocent letters written by the protagonist to his family back in India. Well written and well composed considering how old the book is. Much better than the books which have been coming up in the last decade.
Kushal Srivastava
A fairly easy read. Tries to talk about cultural differences between Us and THEM and does a pretty superficial job. It doesn't tunnel deep into the human psyche as The Inheritance of Loss but if you're in mood for a light and cheesy novel for a train journey, you may very well try out this one. Not a compulsory read though.
Loveena Mathews
The book is about a boy named Gopal who leaves India and goes to America for his higher studies.It revolves around his life in America and how he adjusts to the American culture.The letters he writes to his younger brother in India is the most hilarious part of this book!
Kavita
Sep 04, 2011 Kavita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, india, usa
In the days before Chetan Bhagat, this book provides a humorous account of the clash of the Indian and American cultures. Really funny and definitely must be read once. I would have given it 4 star rating, except all the "sex in America" theme bored me quite a bit.
Dr.J.G.
Some facts, some truth, some exaggerations, some outright outrageous - that would be my coment. When you read it you might or might not see one (of the four) immediately when you come across it. Those that have had a similar expeience might see the other three.
Anusha M
Jun 15, 2012 Anusha M rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The pace and humour was amazing to start with, but the narration went on to be a drone by the end of the book
Gorab Jain
Feb 13, 2016 Gorab Jain rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indian, 2016
Light hearted read without much gravity. A couple of chapters were funny when the protagonist wrote letters back home, but they were too nothing more than mediocre.
Sneha
Nov 21, 2011 Sneha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2
Hilarious! Subtle humor, your face humor, sarcastic humor, ignorant humor. You name it and it has it with the cliche story of a lucky simpleton who gets a chance to stay abroad.
Kookie
Dec 14, 2016 Kookie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crude yet charming fish out of water story about Gopal, a young student from India who gets a crash course on American culture when he comes over for a year of University.
Hari Pashikanti
Jun 05, 2013 Hari Pashikanti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun book to read about the findings on an orthodox indian studying in the U.S.A
Sheelalipi  Sahana
First half was brilliant.
The second half was just...kind of... UGHH!
A very funny book though.
Josh
Mar 04, 2017 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Inscrutable Americans has fleeting moments of greatness, in the form of witty observations about American life from an outsider's perspective, but ultimately takes a turn for the worse when, for nearly half the book, the story almost entirely revolves around the protagonist trying to get laid.
Himanshu Modi
A bumbling, wannabe-American, rustic Indian yokel who lands up in America, to be dazed by the sights and sounds of the western culture… makes an easy setting for humour, be it for a movie, or a book. The book came at a time when the whole “America” craze perhaps started gaining ground in India; when families from Gujarat, Punjab and rest of the states came up with ingenious and desperate strategies to get to US-of-A. The wave persisted in the 90s and the dying (hopefully) remains are still found ...more
Puja
Oct 31, 2013 Puja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a teenager growing up in India when I read this book. I found it incredibly funny and enjoyed it so much that I re-read it atleast once. Infact I recall that for a while I had the book sitting on my bedside and I would go to the funniest parts and chuckle myself to sleep.
'The Inscrutable Americans' is a story of a simple and God-fearing (and mom and grandma fearing) boy from a small town in India. Gopal has had no exposure to Western culture and many things in modern life, which seemed pr
Yoosaf Abdulla
The book is a ironic comedy of how a super-duper intelligent indian boy gets to travel to US for his MS. The story unwinds with the most funniest letter written by the protogonist Gopal which will make you laugh your stomach out. Yes its very funny. The story has lots of the 'first times'of a drop-dead innocent and earthly honest brahmin boy Gopal when ending up at Uncle sam. The author has given ride of imagination when Gopal describes his new world to his relatives back in India with his utter ...more
Parikhit
Aug 11, 2016 Parikhit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: india, america
Inscrutable Americans! Isn't every nation quite undecipherable to a foreigner? The Customs, the idiosyncrasies, the culture-wouldn’t any less-travelled foreigner marvel, guffaw, be dazed and amazed what a foreign land has to offer to her? Quite so. ‘The Inscrutable Americans’ follows the trials of Gopal in America, his adventures, his observations, his trials, the people he meets, heart breaks and his baptism on becoming an ‘Amrikan’! Culture shock at its best.

It is hilarious in fragments and mo
Pawan

• Home
  • The Room on the Roof and Vagrants in the Valley- Two Novels of Adolescence
  • The Last Song of Dusk
  • The Treasure of Kafur
  • Armies of Hanuman (Ramayana, #4)
  • Maximum City: Bombay Lost and Found
  • Johnny Gone Down
  • The Japanese Wife
  • Delayed Monsoon
  • No Onions Nor Garlic
  • God Save the Dork (Dork Trilogy, #2)
  • English, August: An Indian Story
  • The Great Indian Novel
  • The Zoya Factor
  • Snapshots From Hell: The Making Of An MBA
  • The House of Blue Mangoes
Anurag Mathur was born in New Delhi and educated at Scindia School (Gwalior), St. Stephen's College (Delhi), and the University of Tulsa (Oklahoma). He lived for three years in the U.S.A. before returning home to India to embark on a career in journalism and publishing. He now lives in New Delhi and contributes regularly to leading Indian magazines and newspapers. He is also the author of a travel ...more
More about Anurag Mathur...

“Are red haired girls, red all over?” 6 likes
“And why do I hang my head in shame? Is it because I have done some wrong? Yes, my brothers, because I have sinned. Because we have all sinned. Because seeing Satan and his works around us, yet we do nothing. Therefore we have sinned. Oh there is none so blind as those who will not see.' 'Hallelujah!” 0 likes