Start by marking “Culture Shock! France” as Want to Read:
Culture Shock! France

Culture Shock! France

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Whether you travel for business, pleasure, or a combination of the two, the ever-popular "Culture Shock!" series belongs in your backpack or briefcase. Get the nuts-and-bolts information you need to survive and thrive wherever you go. "Culture Shock!" country guides are easy-to-read, accurate, and entertaining crash courses in local customs and etiquette. "Culture Shock!" ...more
Published March 1st 1991 by Graphic Arts Center Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Culture Shock! France, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Culture Shock! France

Suzanne
This is a really great book with tons of good information about being in France for a visit or an extended period of time. It was nice to find detailed information not included in other books, such as--but not limited to--really good info about how to select wine in a restaurant in France. This is one of the books I would want to take with me. It's also a well-written book, but that said, it has an amazing number of little grammatical errors that popped up once or twice every chapter or so--over ...more
brianne
while this book does have a lot of information, i'm not sure how much of it is true. i'm concerned with the errors that i found throughout, particularly the "useful words and phrases" that closes the book. for the record, the french "comment" is mostly used as "what" and not "how," "qui" certainly does not mean "why" but "who," and "pourquoi" is not "who" but "why." as a book written (i assume) for people without a lot of prior knowledge about france and/or the french language, these are huge e ...more
Pablo Contreras
This book was recommended to me by a French native, who thought I should read before visiting. It was an absolute enjoyable read. So much of it was truly helpful.
Sundry
This book is geared more toward the person who is going to live in France than the casual vacationer, but there are interesting perspectives here and some nice hints about just not seeming like a complete oaf. Like remember to say hello and to use title like Madame, etc., when beginning to talk to people in shops.

There are also nice historical notes and descriptions of each pays. Worth a look, though I think I could have done as well getting it from the library as buying it.

I bought Rick Steve’s
Caro
this is part of a series called "CultureShock," aimed at helping us avoid looking like total idiots abroad. Apart from the advice for people planning to move to France, the tips here were easily found in other books (greet people when you enter and leave a store), or were not entirely accurate (based on my one week in Paris, people really do occasionally walk around smiling). A quick read.
Michelle
This book was an invaluable resource before and during my time living abroad in France. I had textbook culture shock symptoms including getting physically sick during month three. It was nice to have reassurance that everything that I was going through was normal and expected.
Fredrick Danysh
Information for those that want to move to and live in France. Information is cursory in nature and not geared toward the tourist. Brief summaries of the history and customs are included.
Tammie Painter
Terrific Culture Shock book with plenty of tips on how to interact with the French, what to expect at a restaurant and more.
Naomi
Good series of books. I would think especially helpful for someone moving to France. Good for the traveler too though.
Micaela
Jul 29, 2008 Micaela rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: travelers; Francophiles; people moving to France
This is a great tool for anyone going to visit or live in France.
Allison
A helpful reference but some info seems dated.
Paola
Paola marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Emma Ward
Emma Ward marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
A
A added it
Dec 09, 2014
Valerie Blackburn
Valerie Blackburn marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Hannu Kokko
Hannu Kokko marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Kelly
Kelly added it
Apr 30, 2014
Addie
Addie marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Adam Corvo
Adam Corvo marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014