Start by marking “Culture Shock! France” as Want to Read:
Culture Shock! France

Culture Shock! France

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Whether you travel for business, pleasure, or a combination of the two, the ever-popular "Culture Shock!" series belongs in your backpack or briefcase. Get the nuts-and-bolts information you need to survive and thrive wherever you go. "Culture Shock!" country guides are easy-to-read, accurate, and entertaining crash courses in local customs and etiquette. "Culture Shock!" ...more
Published March 1st 1991 by Graphic Arts Center Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Culture Shock! France, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Culture Shock! France

Suzanne
This is a really great book with tons of good information about being in France for a visit or an extended period of time. It was nice to find detailed information not included in other books, such as--but not limited to--really good info about how to select wine in a restaurant in France. This is one of the books I would want to take with me. It's also a well-written book, but that said, it has an amazing number of little grammatical errors that popped up once or twice every chapter or so--over ...more
brianne
while this book does have a lot of information, i'm not sure how much of it is true. i'm concerned with the errors that i found throughout, particularly the "useful words and phrases" that closes the book. for the record, the french "comment" is mostly used as "what" and not "how," "qui" certainly does not mean "why" but "who," and "pourquoi" is not "who" but "why." as a book written (i assume) for people without a lot of prior knowledge about france and/or the french language, these are huge e ...more
Pablo Contreras
This book was recommended to me by a French native, who thought I should read before visiting. It was an absolute enjoyable read. So much of it was truly helpful.
Sundry
This book is geared more toward the person who is going to live in France than the casual vacationer, but there are interesting perspectives here and some nice hints about just not seeming like a complete oaf. Like remember to say hello and to use title like Madame, etc., when beginning to talk to people in shops.

There are also nice historical notes and descriptions of each pays. Worth a look, though I think I could have done as well getting it from the library as buying it.

I bought Rick Steve’s
Caro
this is part of a series called "CultureShock," aimed at helping us avoid looking like total idiots abroad. Apart from the advice for people planning to move to France, the tips here were easily found in other books (greet people when you enter and leave a store), or were not entirely accurate (based on my one week in Paris, people really do occasionally walk around smiling). A quick read.
Michelle
This book was an invaluable resource before and during my time living abroad in France. I had textbook culture shock symptoms including getting physically sick during month three. It was nice to have reassurance that everything that I was going through was normal and expected.
Fredrick Danysh
Information for those that want to move to and live in France. Information is cursory in nature and not geared toward the tourist. Brief summaries of the history and customs are included.
Tammie Painter
Terrific Culture Shock book with plenty of tips on how to interact with the French, what to expect at a restaurant and more.
Naomi
Good series of books. I would think especially helpful for someone moving to France. Good for the traveler too though.
Micaela
Jul 29, 2008 Micaela rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: travelers; Francophiles; people moving to France
This is a great tool for anyone going to visit or live in France.
Allison
A helpful reference but some info seems dated.
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Annie
Annie is currently reading it
May 09, 2015
Shaun Choe
Shaun Choe is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2015
Rex
Rex marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Morgan Carroll
Morgan Carroll marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
April
April marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Turi
Turi marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Roxanne
Roxanne marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Gab
Gab added it
Mar 18, 2015
Bảo Khánh
Bảo Khánh marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Alicia
Alicia added it
Dec 28, 2014
Paola
Paola marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014