Start by marking “House of Flies (A Catalyst and Progeny Novella, #1)” as Want to Read:
House of Flies (A Catalyst and Progeny Novella, #1)

House of Flies (A Catalyst and Progeny Novella #1)

Out of numbed, desensitized, stricken minds - in search of killing all essential humanity - the 'elder blow' was born.

Rebellion against the drug is a bloody effort for two young sisters who have long sought liberation from its smokes and the dead bodies that result and pile.

The winters are cold, the bludgeons are red, and hunger is an unbelievable phenomenon as these girls
ebook
Published 2012 by Rosca Marx

To ask other readers questions about House of Flies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House of Flies

Donald Armfield
Dec 26, 2012 Donald Armfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that needs to be read in one shot, if you put it down you are lost. Maybe not for all but you really need to pay close attention to the prose and different writing style the author uses.

Two sisters are trying to stay away from a drug called "Elder" everyone around them are hooked and feel hungry without it. An escape from life gone wrong, the dealers, the cooks and the druggies.

The theme song for this book should be "Temple of Dogs - Hungry" (at least the hook on a loo
Emily Boivin
Sep 20, 2012 Emily Boivin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was the most bizzar book i have read to date. it was an amazing read. i won it on good reads and i am so glad i did as it turned me on to a great writer that i intend to read more of in the future.
Rosca
Dec 14, 2012 Rosca marked it as wrote  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Part one of three part bizarro novella series, Catalyst and Progeny, House of Flies follows two doomed sisters forced by family obligation into the middle of a growing trade of a fictional drug meant to make human emotion and feeling go away.

With the novellas, the main aim has been to connect an idea I have obsevered, of "Catalyst and Progeny." A horribly negative cause and effect relationship between drugs, drug users, and the innocents that are forever maimed or lose their lives simply because
Rodney
For about the first ten pages, I struggled with the style. It had a very unique feel to it. This novella is so poetic, so powerful, I could not help but be moved. So many times over the course of reading, I reflected on how well the author communicated the harsh realities of the two main characters. Your are certainly right there with them. There is a quality to the words that is so other-worldly, in the most awesome way. I can't wait for the others in the series. Read this!
Karly
Jul 24, 2012 Karly rated it it was amazing
AMAZING!!!
Kari Flores
Nov 30, 2012 Kari Flores rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I am a reader, not a writer.

This book is not one you can casually read. It requires your undivided attention and perhaps a second read to fully appreciate the message of the author.

The novella revolves around two sisters whom are born into a world in which the struggle to not succumb to a drug addiction, the hunger for "elder". There lives a rough and the story centers around fighting the desire to feed that hunger even though they are surrounded by temptation.

The words are lyrical a
Moo Cow
Mar 28, 2014 Moo Cow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though this is a thin book, it's one that you want to take your time with. The story is one of regret, temptation, and the urge to simply exist, regardless of the circumstances. Rather than standing in the spotlight, the storyline meanders behind the poetic flare that draws you in and forces you to ponder each sentence. I found it intriguing how the characters where both simultaneously portrayed as being both weak and strong. Very enjoyable!!
Catherine
Jun 25, 2013 Catherine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received a copy of this book from the publisher as an ARC through Goodreads.

Although this is a short book, a novella, it is by no means a quick and light read. The author does paints a very strong picture of the suffering of those who abuse drugs. If the reader takes the time, and reads in an uninterrupted setting, the message is quite strong.
Sydney
Sep 20, 2012 Sydney rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The format and wording of the novella was really confusing and bit random for my taste. I struggled through the whole time, and barely made it to the end. The plot was interesting and different than most things I've read, but I don't think I would be able to reread this again.
Taylor Troncin
I am not 100% sure how I acquired this book. I think I was contacted by the author directly, but I cannot find any record of it...

Anyway, I have not read any of the "Catalyst and Progeny" books and I wonder if that influenced my reading of this book in particular...
Kate
Aug 14, 2013 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting book. It is definitely not for a casual beach read. You need to be fully immersed to understand what the author is conveying.
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most bizarre books i have ever read. This not my usual genre of reading, but i am so glad i gave it a chance.

*Won on goodreads*

Niecez73
Jul 22, 2012 Niecez73 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book!! Can't wait for the second!
Mithrandir
Mithrandir rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2012
In Your Wake.
In Your Wake. rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2012
Althea
Althea rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2013
Annie
Annie rated it it was ok
Oct 21, 2012
Paul Mirek
Paul Mirek rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2012
Darren Mitton
Darren Mitton rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2012
Mithrandir
Mithrandir rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it did not like it
Feb 05, 2017
Lacy
Lacy rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2012
Faisal
Faisal rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2016
Danielle Hessong
Danielle Hessong rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2015
Caroline Anastasia Mccaskill
Caroline Anastasia Mccaskill rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2013
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2013
Rosca
Jun 21, 2012 Rosca marked it as wrote  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: bizarro-fiction
Kristen Daugherty Smith
Kristen Daugherty Smith marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2012
Mish
Mish is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2012
Ashley Davis
Ashley Davis marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2012
Aaron Weber
Aaron Weber marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2012
Sebastian Metheny
Sebastian Metheny marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2012
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2013
Gabriel
Gabriel marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2013
Nicole Donze
Nicole Donze marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Kieran Hole
Kieran Hole marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2012
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2012
Levina Goon
Levina Goon marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2012
Kitty Honeycutt
Kitty Honeycutt marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2012
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2012
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2012
Michelle Lewis
Michelle Lewis marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2012
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2012
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2012
Saisha
Saisha marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2012
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2012
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2012
Mdayw
Mdayw marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2012
Kelsey Dexter
Kelsey Dexter marked it as to-read
Tabetha Markel
Tabetha Markel marked it as to-read
Danielle Joy
Danielle Joy marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2012
  • Zombie! Zombie! Brain Bang!
  • Robamapocalypse
  • Beyond the Valley of the Apocalypse Donkeys
  • Baby Hater
  • The Sun Never Rises in the Big City
  • Tall Tales With Short Cocks
  • Love Me
  • Grudge Punk
  • Godsworld (The Portal Catch, #1)
  • Something Wicked
  • The K Street Killer (Jim McGill, #3)
  • Shadows of Penumbra (Apocalypse Exalted, #1)
  • All Art is Junk
  • A Million Versions of Right
  • Jack and Mr. Grin
  • Celebrity Culture
  • 10 a Boot Stomping 20 a Human Face 30 Goto 10
  • I Slept with Slender Man
R. Marx is an author that tends to write unconventional works of fiction that aim for challenging those who read them. Her nboks strive to go beyond the norm of contemporary literature. She's referred to what she writes as avant-garde, or anti-novels.

Her prose and plots are experimental, and her heart is red and flowing with love for all readers willing to know her stories.
More about Rosca Marx...

A Catalyst and Progeny Novella (3 books)
  • The Laughing Maggot (A Catalyst and Progeny Novella, #2)
  • A Comment of Cain (A Catalyst and Progeny Novella, #3)