Tales of the Emerald Serpent: Ghosts of Taux (Tales of the Emerald Serpent, #1)

Tales of the Emerald Serpent: Ghosts of Taux (Tales of the Emerald Serpent #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Taking a page from classic early 80s anthologies like Larry Niven’s Man-Kzin Wars and Robert Asprin’s Thieves World, Beyond the Black Gate maintains an old school feel while bringing you some of the latest talent in today’s science fiction, fantasy, and horror markets.

Set in Art of the Genre’s trademarked universe, The Nameless Realms, this anthology takes readers to the...more
ebook
Published June 19th 2012 by Art of the Genre (first published June 15th 2012)

Barbara
3 1/2 stars from me.
Very entertaining anthology of stories set in the fictional city of Taux. The Emerald Serpent in a bar where a number of the characters have a drink from time to time. Taux is fascinating--based very much on the ancient cities of the Maya & Aztec peoples. But the original inhabitants of the city have vanished--sucked into the walls and trapped there by some terrible sorcery. The abandoned city stood vacant for a number of years but is now being resettled and it is the new...more
J.M.
Jul 23, 2012 J.M. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of heroic fantasy, dark fantasy, swords & sorcery, gaming-fantasy, and anthology enthusiasts
I received this shared world anthology after lending my support via Kickstarter and was very pleased right away by the quality and production value. The concept focuses on Taux, a fantasy city with an ancient and mysterious Mesoamerican vibe where the very stones are haunted by the spirits of a vanished people. The city has been reclaimed by the current inhabitants, a mixture of Mesoamerican types, European types, and humanoids. It's a city replete with perils and intrigue, with sin and vice, wi...more
Melonysaurus Breeze
I got this book because one of the chapters was written by one of my favorite authors, Lynn Flewelling. I didn't know what to expect from the other authors, so I was happily surprised with this book. The storytelling shifts perspective with each new chapter--not too unique, but each chapter is also written by a new author. Each author brings something to the table, and although the stories seem unconnected at first, they begin to come together as you read on, with characters interacting between...more
Ryan
Shared world story anthology inspired by the "Thieves world" series.

The book is filled with solid, entertaining, original stories. They
did a good job of intermixing the stories. An item will be
introduced in one story and echoed in others. Characters migrate
from one story to the next. There are even a set of three stories that
tell different parts of a larger story, all done with a consistent
theme and tome.

I liked this very much.
Jami Leigh
Short story collections only sometimes work for me. I like the world they built for this, but there wasn't a sense of building overall tension. If anything, some of them were placed in such a way as to completely remove tension. The buildups on others were too long, that by the time the tension was there, I had long since grown tired of reading about that character. Meh. 2 1/2 stars, really.
Brian
Scott Taylor openly acknowledges that, yes, Tales of the Emerald Serpent is a collection of short stories absolutely inspired by Robert Asprin’s Thieves World project. Like Asprin’s collections, the stories are sword-and-sorcery centered around a town of cut-throats, tricksters, callous oligarchs and the poor innocents trapped into living next door to them. Unlike the earlier Thieves World collections, this one is a lot tighter, with the stories referencing each other and, in some cases, woven t...more
Gary Hoggatt
Tales of the Emerald Serpent is a 2012 fantasy anthology edited by Scott Taylor. The book began as a Kickstarter project, and contains nine stories by Lynn Flewelling, Harry Connolly, Todd Lockwood, Juliet McKenna, Michael Tousignant, Martha Wells, Julie Czerneda, editor Scott Taylor, and Rob Mancebo.

The stories each are self-contained, but include a variety of connections to other tales in the anthology, such as recurring characters, scenes, or items. The effect is well-done, giving you a sense...more
Lou Anders
Tales of the Emerald Serpent (Ghosts of Taux)is a shared world anthology, very much in the tradition of Robert Lynn Asprin's Thieves' Worldseries. It's the brainchild of Scott Taylor, a blogger and senior editor at Black Gate magazine. And it's a Kickstarter funded project, raising an impressive $13,418.

The book features stories from authors Lynn Flewelling, Harry Connolly, Todd Lockwood, Juliet E. McKenna, Michael Tousignant, Martha Wells, Julie Czerneda, Scott Taylor himself, and Rob Mancebo....more
Tacoman
The city of Taux is a great setting, and can obviously be a great site for many different stories to occur over time. The way the stories intertwined and lightly linked together worked well for me. Seeing how one character's story sets up another one was part of what kept me reading. The magic system used was both interesting and a great motivator for the characters. I would be interested in reading more stories set in the city of Taux.

My only gripe is that there was some minor content editing i...more
As with any anthology, this one is something of a mixed bag, but overall the stories are entertaining. In particular I liked Lynn Flewelling's "Namesake," "Water Remembers" by Julie Czerneda, "Revenants" by Martha Wells, and "Three Souls for Sale" by Michael Tousignant. Todd Lockwood makes a creditable fiction debut with "Between," as well as providing the gorgeous cover art. The anthology has some of the inherent weaknesses of a shared-world anthology, in that the setting sometimes feels a bit...more
Louis
Entertaining anthology of stories in a shared world. What makes this one stand out is that not only are the contributing authors sharing a world, they also shared some of the characters. So you get a view of the world through several points of view. It means that you know the backgrounds of even some minor characters in some of the stories, and you get invested in them. It makes for a richer setting. I'm looking forward to more stories in this world.
Li
I contributed to the Kickstarter campaign for this book, and have no regrets - I liked all stories and it was worth paying upfront. The stories in this anthology straddle both fantasy and horror, with a slight tendency towards the horror side. And as a shared-world book, I thought that this was a very coherent anthology, with consistent characterisation and world-building across the various contributions.
Roman Kalik
An excellent anthology, giving life to an interesting setting. The carefully interwoven stories and characters worked out very well.

Further, having funded the project via Kickstarter, I must say I feel an immense sense of satisfaction in seeing the end result being of such high quality.
Athene
Following in the tradition of Thieves World, this anthology brings together a number of very good authors to each write a story that takes place in the haunted city of Taux. I really loved the way the different authors blended plot lines and characters. I can't wait to read more!
Adrianne
The Emerald Serpent is chock full of stories written by my favorite authors, and if that weren't enough, the artwork is fabulous. Each story is a polished gem to be read and reread. It's delightful to see how well the stories interlock to build a mosaic of a new world.
Loopy
Wonderful book! These stories revolve around the city of Taux, where the stones them-selves are haunted. I bought this for one author but loved every story in this book! Looking forward to the next book in this series!
Sean
Like any anthology a mixed bag but overall, a collection of compelling and interesting stories and an excellent setting. I look forward to revisiting Taux when future stories are released.
Kim W
Kim W marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Ivan
Ivan marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Teal
Teal marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Lesley
Lesley marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Silvia Fernandez
Silvia Fernandez marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Calangea Bogdan
Calangea Bogdan marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Doc
Doc marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Tess
Tess marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Kindle vs ePub 1 4 Jun 21, 2012 08:36AM
The Mid-Winter Fall (The Five Year War, #2) The Cursed Legion (The Five Year War, #1) The Gun Kingdoms A Knight in the Silk Purse: Ghosts of Taux (Tales of the Emerald Serpent, #2) The Burning City