Start by marking “A Lady in Defiance (Romance in the Rockies, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Lady in Defiance (Romance in the Rockies, #1)
read book* *Different edition

A Lady in Defiance (Romance in the Rockies #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  232 ratings  ·  44 reviews
…It’s his town and he dares God to step foot in it.
Charles McIntyre owns everything and everyone in the lawless, godless mining town of Defiance. When three good, Christian sisters from his beloved South show up stranded, alone, and offering to open a “nice” hotel, he is intrigued enough to let them stay…especially since he sees feisty middle sister Naomi as a possible co
Published February 27th 2013 (first published March 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Lady in Defiance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lady in Defiance

Tina Rice
A Lady in Defiance by Heather Blanton***

This is a story of three sisters, Rebecca, Naomi and her husband John, and Hannah who move across country to start a new life. While on the trail tragedy strikes and John is killed. Instead of traveling on further they settle in the town of Defiance. They soon find the name of the town fits it perfectly, the citizens of this lawless, roudy mining town are indeed defiant—which is probably their “best” quality.

Rebecca, Naomi and Hannah are all Christian wom
Lynda
Heather Blanton - "A Lady in Defiance, loosely based on true events, is set in the majestic San Juan Mountains of Colorado, the most beautiful place in the world. While a romance, it is also an "ensemble" piece that weaves together the relationships of the three sisters and the rowdy residents of Defiance. Heather has two sisters whom she loves dearly. One is still with us, the other crossed over to be with Lord in 1999 and it is she who inspired the character of Hannah." ~ from Ms. Blanton's Amazon.com autho ...more
Jeannette Garcia
I absolutely LOVED this book. I admit that I was a bit thrown off by the cover art... talk about "don't judge a book by its cover"! If you have had any reservations about reading this book based on the cover, I beg you to reconsider. This book will not disappoint.
It was such a beautiful story about redemption... it practically had me in tears every other chapter. I absolutely loved Heather Blanton's use of Scripture throughout the book. There were times when reading this that I felt like gettin
Kimberli

Faith the size of a mustard seed can move mountains, but can it change an isolated mining town that caters to a myriad of depravities? When tragedy changes the course of three sisters' lives, they find themselves as hotel owners leading a campaign to bring respectability, and thus the railroad, to the crass town of Defiance.

As the town's name suggests, opposition abounds, putting the sisters and their reputations in danger. Should they continue to put their lives—and their hearts—at risk for th
 Northern Light
This book tells the story of three sisters who while travelling in America to a new life are struck by tragedy and are forced to rethink their destination. They end up in a small mining town called Defiance which isn't sure what to make of refined Christian ladies being more used to the 'flowers' who 'entertain' the miners.

Along the way the realise that living a Christian life in this environment is nothing like what they have previously experienced and constantly come up against opposition, not
Michele Hendricks
I thought this book was amazing! It really reminded me of Redeeming Love for some reason. I cannot wait to read the sequel! :)
Amanda
What a pleasant surprise Heather Blanton and her book, "A Lady in Defiance," turned out to be! I saw it free on Amazon and thought I'd try it. With each page I grew to love the story, the endearing characters and Ms. Blanton's style more and more!

There was a main hero and heroine, but like the description said, this was truly an ensemble piece. Naomi, her husband and her two sisters are from the South and are now heading West, on route to California to make a new life for themselves after the yo
Julia
I'm torn on this book. I loved the plot, the idea behind the book, and the concept of three sisters starting over in a small, yet wild, mining town. I also found the relationships between the three sisters (Rebecca, Naomi and Hannah) to be endearing and heart-warming.
Unfortunately, what I really liked about this book ends there. I typically do like Christian fiction; however, this book is what I came to think of as somewhat judgmental, heavy-handed Christian fiction. The author's tone was at ti
Veronica
This is a suspenseful romance set during the late 1800's in which Naomi, her husband, and her two sisters were making their way to California in their wagon when her husband dies and she feels led to put down roots in Defiance. Defiance is a lawless town built on gold mining and the only women there are prostitutes. Needless to say, it's pretty shocking for these three upstanding women with the looks and comments they get.

Naomi strikes a deal to run a restaurant and hotel with Charles, the wealt
Melissa Ahlersmeyer
I could not put this down! It was a great read. Historical Christian Fiction tends to be my genre of choice and this book is certainly now at the top of my favorites in the long list of titles I have read by many authors. I won't spill all of the details here because I think you should read it for yourself but of the details of the book were so well written. The sisters and their relationships, the emotional struggles, the faith lessons, the picture of life in the gritty, rowdy West and especial ...more
Lynelle Clark
For to long this book was on my TBR list waiting patiently for me to read, and finally I had time to read it. It was everything I thought I would be and more.
A strong message of obedience was at the heart of this book. God's challenges real facts to sharpen us and equip us for the task.
It is about forgiveness of one self, accepting the redeeming love of Christ and change. To be the man or woman God has called you to be.
Trails and tribulations are part of our Believers walk, and the author portra
Kay
This was a surprising book! I have been burned by freebies on Kindle and this one turned out to be a diamond in disguise!

After her husband dies,Naomi must decide where she and her two sisters who had been traveling across country will do. They turn into a mining town called Defiance and become proprietresses of a hotel.

There is resistance from the town, especially when the girls set out to redeem the soiled doves of a nearby brothel.

I enjoyed reading about these ladies and their devotion to God
margaret Klein
I like! I like! I like!

Finally a clean read! I really, really like this book! It always pleases me when an author, literally weaves the "salvation" message with such loving compassion that it gently woos the reader, to an greater understanding of the eternal sacrifice that was made for me and you.
Jan
Very well written historical fiction. The characters were well developed and the plot was intriguing. I don't understand people who complain about a Christian book being "preachy".....the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the only hope for a historical western town called Defiance or a modern country called America, Europe, etc. I also liked that the sisters were human but surrendered their wills to God. Looking forward to book 2. Thanks to the author for allowing this to be a free ebook via Amazon for ...more
Ann
Wonderful read

I read for pleasure, not necessarily for enlightenment. This book provided both. The story was believable and the characters were well defined. I also found the inclusion of strong Christian characters to be realistic and believable. I was able to relate well with Naomi who wanted to obey God's calling, but found it difficult to give up control of her life. I will definitely look for more books by this author.
Christina
I have received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. A Lady in Defiance is a thoughtful and spiritual journey for three sisters and a town called Defiance which enables them to change and grow with one another.

The writing was beautiful and well-crafted. The characters were each their own person and had a different approach to life and why they did the things they did. The story itself was enjoyable and gave hope to those who thought themselves beyond help and salvation. It's a book
Julie Smith
I literally just finished this Amazing Book. Romans 8:38-39; Luke 7:36-50; and John 8:1-11. That is all you need to understand and know. If you don't, what are you waiting for? This is a MUST READ!!!!!! I have cried and I have repented. I can't wait for Book 2!
Lisa C.
This story had the reader reliving what it might have been like for women during this time period. No laws, few women, corruption, were a few of the things facing the three sisters in a developing mining town. The author was able to capture the religious aspect yet include the many sins of man (and woman) throughout the story. I really enjoyed the strong theme of forgiveness.
Miriam Schneider
The author did a good job in writing a story of how a woman had to submit to God and show His love to the not so lovable.

I did not care for how much detail was given about Rose's prostitute activities.

I also don't agree with the author's idea of a person having to learn himself.
april hodne
Great read!

Loved this story! Heather Blanton has the ability to write an inspiring, faith-based novel, while still maintaining the grit and sometimes ugly realities of real life and real people! Looking forward to more of her work!
Sarah K
With free Kindle books, you never know what you're going to get but this book was a pleasant surprise. I found it to be very well written, thoughtful, and interesting. I loved the humor interspersed with the elements of historical romantic fiction. It was fun to get to know the characters and I hope there are sequels!
Linda Gwiazdowski
i loved your book.our faith is tested all the time,the story of these women shows we can overcome anything with the love of god,eagerly looking foward to your next book.god bless
Betti
I loved all the references to the mountains and Colorado. A very well written story, it kept me at the edge of my seat, waiting for love to triumph over fear and evil. The difference that a committed spiritual life can make, was plain to see and very encouraging.
Linda Barnett-johnson
I enjoyed this clever little story. A strong woman character, which I love. It just shows what a Christian woman can accomplish in a town full of evil. A good read and I loved it. It was one of those books I didn't want to end.
Bunni
Lots of characters in this story and I do mean characters. The 3 gals have to rely on The Lord for many things. They go through lots of changes and hard times too. I love this author and will definitely read more of her books
Tammy Stephens
I enjoyed the story very much. The sisters shared their faith with everyone no matter their circumstance.
Brooke Barenfanger
A Lady in Defiance was an enjoyable, interesting (and somewhat scandalous) read. If you want to find out more about what I think, visit my blog http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/....
Stacey
Cute book with a good romantic story line. It does have a small level of suspense, but nothing too major. It is a fun read and very enjoyable. It has a good Christian message at the end.
Donita Corman
Hard book to put down. Lots of action and endearing characters and looking forward to book two. I can visualize the area and the characters. Really enjoyed this
Nicole
It was a good Christan historical fiction story. It kept me reading. I will say that the end fell a little flat for me, but for an easy read, I really liked it.
  • Walks Alone
  • Rocky Mountain Oasis (The Shepherd's Heart, #1)
  • Reclaimed: A Highland Historical Trilogy (Highland Historical, #4-6, The MacKays, #1-3)
  • Love by the Letter (Unexpected Brides, #0.5)
  • The Scandal Before Christmas (The Reckless Brides, #3.5)
  • The Lawman Claims His Bride (Charity House, #4)
  • McKenzie (Montana Skies #1)
  • The Rancher (Redbourne, #1)
  • T'on Ma
  • Beautiful Bandit (Lone Star Legends, #1)
  • Captive Heart (The Warrior Maids of Rivenloch #2)
  • Liberty Belle
  • Maggie's Journey (McKenna's Daughters, #1)
  • Lanterns and Lace (Texas Legacy #2)
  • Toward A New Beginning (Arkansas Valley, #1)
  • Courted by a Cowboy (Wyoming Legacy)
  • Prize of My Heart (Sea Heroes of Duxbury)
  • Highland Promise (Sisters by Choice, #2)
They say truth is stranger than fiction. I prefer to say that truth is more miraculous. What we as authors can make up in our own heads doesn’t compare to what the greatest writer of all can do.

Take for example the story that inspires my character of Hanna:
In the early 70′s my family used to drive up from Florida to camp in the mountains. In the summer of ’73, we discovered a beautiful, sleepy, s
More about Heather Blanton...
In Time for Christmas -- a Novella Hearts in Defiance (Romance in the Rockies #2) Hearts in Defiance (Romance in the Rockies Book 2) When a Plan Comes Together -- an Essay Hearts in Defiance (Romance in the Rockies #2)

“Maybe that's what this is all about...maybe, now and then, we have to give up a portion of our kingdoms–the things we hold dearest–to find what it is God wants for us.” 1 likes