A is for Angelica
read excerpt

A is for Angelica

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  32 reviews
'My life is different now. I don't go to work. I don't have an office. I stay at home, hide behind curtains and make notes. I wait for something to happen.'

Gordon Kingdom struggles with the fate of his seriously-ill wife while patiently observing and methodically recording the lives of those around him: his neighbours.

He has files on them all, including:

-Don Donald (best f...more
Paperback, 1st ed, 256 pages
Published September 1st 2012 by Legend Press (first published August 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A is for Angelica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A is for Angelica

Maya Panika
Oh dear lord, what a sad, tragic tale of loss and grief and the achingly slow descent into madness. And how funny it is.

Gordon Kingdom is fifty-two. He’s left his dreary job to look after Georgina, his wife, who is bed-ridden and incapacitated after a stroke. Gordon hasn’t told the doctor about his wife, making the choice to ignore reality even as it’s hitting him in the face with a spade, because he and Georgina have a pre-prepared plan, a system for her care, he knows he can look after her bet...more
Lindsay (Little Reader Library)
'I stay at home, hide behind curtains and make notes. I wait for something to happen.'

Gordon Kingdom watches the happenings on Cressington Vale, a street in a northern town, where he lives with his wife Georgina and dog Kipling. He keeps files of notes and his observations about the lives of those on the opposite side of the street. His wife has suffered two strokes, the first of which happened eighteen months ago, and he patiently cares for her at home, trying to cope, to continue some sort of...more
Mandy
This accomplished and haunting first novel tells of middle-aged Gordon Kingdom who lives an ordinary life on an ordinary street with his much-loved wife Georgina and dog Kipling. But his routine existence is thrown into disarray when illness presents him with a situation that is beyond his capabilities, try as he might to do the right thing. I don’t want to go into the plot any more than that, because one of this fantastic novel’s greatest strengths is the controlled way that Broome gradually re...more
Rebecca Foster
A surprisingly funny debut novel in the vein of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time or Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Gordon Kingdom is a 50-something recluse caring for his disabled wife in secret. He fancies himself an expert on his neighborhood and all its goings-on – until Angelica moves in and changes everything. Especially if your sense of humor runs to dogs committing suicide, you’ll latch on to this gentle satire set in the north of England.
Literary Relish
Gordon Kingdom lives in Cressington Vale, a perfectly suburban, uncontroversial and terribly middle class street whose various characters waltz through their daily routines and, in the main, lead highly predictable lives. Apart, perhaps, from Benny the boy across the road, who between the hours of 1 and 2am every morning settles down in his bedroom to paint with his eyes closed. We know this because, whilst caring for his seriously ill wife Georgina, Gordon spends his days peeping around his cur...more
Joodith
I don't quite know what to make of this novel. I actually found it difficult to read - quite dreary and depressing. Gordon's life is Boring to say the least, and maybe it's just that I don't want to read about other people leading boring lives; maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind when I read it. I didn't find it funny, which I think it was supposed to be; I think it's a little creepy, to be honest. The thought that we could all be watched from behind someone's curtains is somewhat uns...more
Franko
When i heard about this book I thought it was about a proper people watcher and I thought it would be really interesting to hear the details of the people and their lives on the street Gordon lived on.

But it was different and more about his half-paralysed wife and his relationship with his new neighbour Angelica which was still good but I was just expecting it to be about more characters on the street than just them.

Of course there is Benny and Don and others who we hear about too.

I can't tell...more
Hannah Fullmer
Wow. First of all, I'd like to thank the publisher through NetGalley for my copy of A is for Angelica by Iain Broome.
This is a really difficult novel for me to rate, or write about, in several ways. To start with, the basic premise (without spoilers) is that our narrator, Gordon Kingdom, is a man who keeps files on all his neighbors, as he watches them through the window in his spare bedroom. His wife Georgiana has recently had a stroke, and Gordon has taken the doctor's suggestion to "write thi...more
I tried to read this for my Book Club but just hated it. I found it dull and rather creepy with no redeeming features. I very rarely give up on a book but this one was too horrid!
Mags Hobday
Officially the most depressing book ever, I got no enjoyment from this book!!!! I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone
Michelle
Thoroughly depressing but a great book none-the-less
Steve Rattray
It was alright I guess.
flamberg

it is a rather unusual experience - writing a review, or rather an extended wording of opinion, on a book written by someone you know. well, i hope it’s not a big stretch to say that i know mr iain broome. i read his blog, i listen to his podcast and i’ve met him on his signing event, and most importantly he follows me back (!) on twitter. on the modern internet scale it’s safe to say that we’re acquainted.

“a is for angelica” is iain broome’s debut novel. he went the old fashioned way and publis

Simon
Inaugural Loop Book Club Book. And this was chosen on the back of its launch being held at the Lantern Theatre, and thus its links to Sheffield. And Mr Risby. The author and the cover designer (cover: a beautiful modernist affair inspired by the architecture of Sheffield) are closely linked to the area and bloody good chaps they both seem. A huge amount of thought and talent seems to lie behind the overall package, and I was excited about what the book actually had to offer.

Aaaaaand, I was relie...more
Cams
I was alerted to this by Myke Hurley on Twitter, someone I know purely from his tech-related podcasts on the 70 Decibels network. My reading list is ridiculously long, so adding to it is not really something I need to be doing. But somehow, not only did this book get _added_ to my queue, not only did it appear at the _top_ of my queue, but it somehow got read, finished and starred before I knew what had happened.

And d'you know why that was?

Because it's very good, that's why!

Honestly though, I'v...more
Jenni
A is for Angelica starts off on an interesting premise - the protagonist being an older man who watches his neighbours and makes notes on them while juggling his own home life. Broome pulls it off well too, and it rarely gets boring - something that I was concerned would happen as it is too steeped in reality.

The protagonist, Gordon, is well-developed, yet Broome does not employ the use of special techniques, or long descriptions to do so. Instead, what drives most of the characterisation is sim...more
Sam
Mar 25, 2013 Sam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2000s
Put simply: this is a beautiful debut novel. And a true testament to what thoughtful editing can achieve. Broome strips his writing to the bare minimum – the perfect complement to his methodical, to-the-point narrator (Gordon), and the unfortunate situation he’s in (caring for his seriously-ill wife).

Throughout the novel Gordon tries to live two lives:

Life One: he takes notes on what he can see outside his window. He passes the time by preoccupying himself with the everyday. What people do and w...more
Tim Roast
This is a very sad novel about loneliness. It is told through the eyes of Gordon Kingdom who is in his 50s and who clearly has some sort of autism. Everything he does is very methodical and he takes everything literally.

One day Angelica moves in across the road from him and he opens a file "A is for Angelica" because he keeps written files on what his neighbours across the road get up to. It is some sort of therapy for him to help with his coming to terms with the state his wife is in - she's ha...more
Andy Angel
Gordon, the lead character in this book is a bit of an oddity. He spends all his time either looking after his wife (who has had a stroke) or spying on his neighbours (he keeps notes on all of them in his files).

He comes across at times as a mixture of Adrian Mole and the boy from The Curious Case of The Dog In The Night-time, but for all his quirks he is not a bad person.

The fact that he keeps his bed-ridden wife upstairs and tells nobody she has had a second stroke could be seen as sinister bu...more
Judy
On the one hand, Gordon’s life is embedded in the factual monotony of the everyday. He watches his street, obsessively taking copious notes on what his neighbours are doing, when they do it and with whom. On the other hand his life is embedded in pretence. His wife is lying in bed, suffering the effects of a severe stroke, but he has told everyone that she is visiting relatives.

Gordon is a difficult man to like at first. He seems emotionally removed from his ill wife, who is totally dependent o...more
Louise Miller
Iain Broome’s debut novel is moving, poignant and heart-breaking. A whirlwind of conflicting emotions played out by Gordon, compulsively felt by the reader.

The novel is not filled with plot twists, but instead focuses beautifully on a simple tale of love, guilt and helplessness, letting the everyday characters move the story on. The characters are brought brilliantly to life by Iain’s meticulous writing.

The story flows effortlessly and I quickly devoured it, reading it from cover to cover.
It i...more
Fiona Ross
Protagonist Gordon Kingdom's narration of his story and circumstances is so immediate and direct, you are right inside his head from the off. This book is a touching and perceptive study of real lives behind the anonymous, respectable front doors of Cressington Vale. A touch of the Rose Tremain in the way the author peels back the bland pretensions of society to reveal tooth and claw underneath.
Criticism of the harsher aspects of our 'welfare' state is so deftly delivered, you don't notice it un...more
Sarah Churchill
A heartbreaking story that follows a protagonist that we don't always like, but we always empathise with. Touching, full of love and hurt, sometimes uncomfortable to read, but also very real. Alongside that it's also very funny. And very British. This is Dark British humour at its best.

A copy of this book was supplied by the publisher in return for an honest review
Katy Noyes
Hard to comment on this one. I originally thought that Gordon's wife was dead and he had deluded himself into imagining her still alive.
The real story, of the stroke-ridden wife and her tired, loving and obsessive husband is sad, touching and slow. Their love story is gradually told and is achingly lovely, Gordon's constant spying and noting of his neighbours' every move creepy but almost understandable.
A very interesting novel, different but moving.
Alex
Mundane, ordinary- a beautifully observed, blackly comic story of a man coping with life. I never worked out what was going to be the outcome, so many potential threads of storylines that could have come to the fore, yet the conclusion still was very powerful. Not my normal kind of read, but excellent.
Tom Evans
A is for Amazing
B is for Brilliant
C is for Clever
D is for a Deft hand with a pen
I could go on until Z but this author has already done a better job.

What is perhaps most incredible about this book is the themes it explores and that they are written by someone so young. More please Mr Broome.
Ardie

Both tragic and funny. The protagonist and narrator is such a fully-formed character, and through his life and the way he tells his tale we experience the quaint and trivial occurring alongside deeper and darker events.
Nicola
Wonderful, tragic, moving, and achingly funny, this is an incredibly accomplished debut. More Iain Broome please!
  • Days in the History of Silence
  • This Thirtysomething Life
  • We're in Trouble
  • The Reluctant Cannibals
  • Doctor Who: The Visual Dictionary
  • How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog
  • Howl, Kaddish and Other Poems
  • Locked In (Jessica Daniel, #1)
  • Dragon Fate (War of the Blades, #1)
  • As You Do: Adventures With Evel, Oliver, and The Vice-President Of Botswana
  • The Dating intervention
  • This Isn't the Sort of Thing That Happens to Someone Like You
  • The Midnight Side
  • Drowning Rose
Iain Broome is the author of the novel, A is for Angelica.

A graduate of Sheffield Hallam’s MA Writing programme, he has edited literary magazines, co-run a successful monthly spoken word event and currently maintains a popular website and podcast about writing, reading and publishing.

Iain lives in Sheffield with his wife and identical twin boys.
More about Iain Broome...