Start by marking “Mango Bob (Mango Bob, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mango Bob (Mango Bob, #1)

Mango Bob (Mango Bob #1)

Walker's task should be simple: drive the Love Bus 1,200 miles cross-country to Florida and deliver a cat named Mango Bob to a woman he's never met. But things are never really as simple as they seem. An unsolved murder involving the Love Bus and the Mexican mafia, along with a major case of mistaken identity, complicate Walker's efforts. Add a crazy gun-toting senior citi ...more
Published April 27th 2012 (first published April 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Mango Bob, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mango Bob

C-shaw
Nov 26, 2016 C-shaw rated it really liked it
This is a great light mystery series, very easy-going and likeable, especially for cat lovers. The story stops suddenly, so I immediately downloaded the next book, _Mango Lucky_, to find out what happened to the recurring characters. This is going to be a favorite series for me!
Michael
Jul 27, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
Good light read. With characters like Johnny Walker and Jack Daniels how can you go wrong? I now know enough about Class B+ motorhomes I think I'm ready for retirement as a snowbird.
Karen B.
Apr 04, 2016 Karen B. rated it liked it
This is a review for the five books in Mango Bob series because they can be purchased as one from Amazon.

I have come to like the characters of John Walker and Mango Bob (the cat) throughout the books. The stories themselves are pretty good. It's hard to categorize them I listed them as cozy but they are also adventure tales as John travels around in his motor home with his friend's cat, Mango Bob (who really is now more of Walker's cat). I especially enjoyed the first and second books. In the fi
Lisa
It is an extremely rare occasion that I award a book five stars, but I'm going to do so with this one. It's simply wonderful! Without giving too much away, Walker suddenly faces many significant changes in his life which somehow result in his transporting a cat (Mango Bob) in an RV from my beloved home state of Arkansas to Florida. He finds new relationships and adventures along the way. I was hesitant to read this book because I was afraid something bad would happen to the cat. I'll admit there ...more
Margo
Jul 05, 2012 Margo rated it did not like it
I wanted to like it, really, being free and all. But the Dragnet-Joe-Friday sentence structure was hard to deal with, and in the end, there was no end; it was like a serialized thing where you're supposed to read the next installment (except I won't).
Wendy
Jun 22, 2012 Wendy rated it really liked it
Loved this book. Want to rent a RV now. Can wait for the next book to come out.
Mary
Jun 21, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
Fun read! Liked it! Good vacation book....
Jay
Sep 24, 2016 Jay rated it it was ok
If you want to learn how to operate an RV the read this book but if you want to read a good book then skip this one.
Annette
Jun 04, 2014 Annette rated it liked it
This is a very short read. That might be because the ending evidently is in another book.
The writing is good. I liked the information about taking on an RV, I liked the information about the traveling from Arkansas to Florida. The plot is interesting and not a carbon copy of other cozy mysteries.

I think that Mr Myers is an author who can create an interesting plot.

Walker is having a bad week. His wife is divorcing him, he no longer has a job, and because of the divorce he no longer has a place
Bobbye Hudspeth
Aug 09, 2012 Bobbye Hudspeth rated it it was ok
I can't understand the four and five star ratings. It is really tough for me to give a book less than three stars, because I know firsthand how much work goes into getting even a "bad book" to the finish line. I think I was being kind giving this one two stars though.

Poorly written, characters that I frankly hoped someone WOULD put a bullet into, just to get them out of my misery. Named after a cat that got only brief mentions and even it's long-lost owner just pats him on the head and says "Is
Catherine Mcneill
Sep 23, 2012 Catherine Mcneill rated it it was ok

I got this book for Kindle free from Amazon. I actually liked the story but felt it was odd for a fictional piece because the writer actually used a lot of technical writing in this book. After finishing this book, I read that the author mainly writes DIY type books, and this was probably his first fiction book. I agree with one of the other reviewers, that the main character lacked emotion. It was almost an advertisement for this particular model of Winnebago camper the main character lived in
Jamie
Oct 17, 2012 Jamie rated it really liked it
Cathartic.

There may not be a better one-word description of the bizarrely titled Mango Bob, the tale of an unremarkable American man, admirably coping with the imperfect cards life has suddenly thrust upon him. There’s not a great deal more to it, but that’s the beauty of the beast. It doesn’t weave a complex mystery, draw an intense emotional response or provide laugh-out-loud humour. It neither wants nor needs to. What it does, is offer a refreshing change of pace and a procedural style of fir
Kristi
Jul 29, 2013 Kristi rated it it was ok
First, what I liked about Mango Bob: I liked the premise of the story. I liked the descriptions of RV life which were vivid and interesting. It’s clear that the author is passionate about RVing, and it comes out in his writing. I liked the cat.

Now here’s what I didn’t like:
1. Grammatical errors. I’m usually pretty understanding when it comes to self-published fare, but this one had enough problems to drive me crazy. An apostrophe is possessive; it is NOT for making things plural! Geesh.
2. Stilt
Carrie Allen
Oct 14, 2012 Carrie Allen rated it it was ok
This book was just....strange! It seemed like a step by step manual for how to drive an RV rather than a storybook. I guess the blurb I read online prior to obtaining the book really didn't describe it well. Mango Bob didn't actually play that big a part in the book at all, which is rather odd considering the title and the description I read. Still, though, it was just amusing enough to keep me reading.
Heidi
Jun 21, 2013 Heidi rated it did not like it

I am genuinely baffled by the 4 and 5 star ratings. This book is an RV owner's manual wrapped in a Walmart commercial. I can understand wanting to say kind words because the book was free (or the author is family or friend) but let's be realistic. The only well written parts of this book are the instructions on setting up your RV at a campground. If all of the pointless instruction and descriptions were edited out, this would be a good short story.
Drew
Mar 29, 2016 Drew rated it liked it
Shelves: beach, on-my-kindle
I found ‘Mango Bob’ a big hard to rate. I’ll start with the good. First I love the overall feel of the book. The story is nice and easy reading, the writing is good and the characters are fun. On the bad side the plot didn’t seem to really go anywhere and the ending left something to be desired with a bit of a cliff hanger and nothing really resolved (see my comment about plot going nowhere). Overall though I enjoyed the story and can’t wait to move on in the series.
Katy
Nov 12, 2012 Katy rated it liked it
This is a cute story about a recently divorced man, who didn't mind he was being divorced, agrees to drive his new home, a camper trailer named the Love Bug to Florida to deliver a cat named Mango Bob. Murder, mystery, and mayhem ensure.

There was a bit much on how to park, travel, and check parts on a camping trailer, but it was a cute story. I'll read more Mango Bob stories.
Danny L. Peele
Feb 14, 2014 Danny L. Peele rated it it was ok
Disappointed

Disappointed

I guess I've been spoiled by reading Carl Hiassen. I expected characters with depth and a
credible story line. Unfortunately neither of those things can be found in this book. The events in the story are written like a grocery list: This happened and then that happened and so on. This story could have been so much better.
Marli
May 29, 2015 Marli rated it liked it
Ah, Florida fiction! Full of weird, off-beat people and places. A fun and fast read, Mango Bob is full of interesting characters and an intriguing plot. The ending is reminiscent of magazine and newspaper serials and I'm looking forward to finding out what happens in the next installment of the series.
Lisa
Jul 06, 2012 Lisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
A good-hearted, relaxing read, but not all that funny. Also way too much time spent with the main character either buying things, filling out paperwork, or doing chores. He seemed to have very little emotion, too. There was almost no action in the book--there were bursts of action, but no suspense.
Joyce
Apr 30, 2013 Joyce rated it liked it
A man loses his job, gets dumped by his wife and moves into an RV known at the Love Bus. En route from Arkansas to Florida to deliver a cat (Mango Bob) to a friend's sister, he encounters car jackers, a couple of retirees, one of whom just happens to be a retired Boston cop, the sister and an assortment of adventures. Quick, fun reading.
Renée
Jun 14, 2013 Renée rated it it was ok
Nothing challenging about this read other than to get through way too much character background, superfluous characters, and a sadly predictable outcome. Characters were cliche, not kitschy, and the "story" doesn't even begin until 38% into the book. I will not be reading the next in this series.
Mike French
Sep 19, 2014 Mike French rated it it was amazing
Readers of Carl Hiaasen and Paul Levine will enjoy at his book IMHO! If you are looking for an enjoyable faster read,I recommend Mango Bob to you.

I am looking forward to reading the next .book in this series.
Nicky
May 25, 2014 Nicky rated it liked it
It ready a little like a manual on how to operate an RV , and the characters can appear to be a little two dimensional, but I still found it entertaining and have even bought the next book in the series. Hope Sarah is nicer in this one.
Bridget
Jul 06, 2012 Bridget rated it liked it
This was a cute story, funny plot line. But it felt a litle forced, a little too much "this happened, and then this happened and then he felt that..."

But it was enjoyable. It made for a nice beach read.
MomIsReading
Sep 27, 2014 MomIsReading rated it liked it
Potential here but desperately needs an editor. Yet I find myself wanting to see what happens in #2.
Chris
Dec 20, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
Good...about a guy going through a bunch of changes in his life. Story paced like a road trip...which it is!
Daniel
Jun 28, 2012 Daniel rated it did not like it
Shelves: drama-thriller
If i wanted to know how to take care of an RV I would get a manual. I pretty much skimmed this entire book and did not really like any of the characters.
Kenneth Campbell
May 26, 2013 Kenneth Campbell rated it it was ok
Parts of this seem like a journal. If you tell me you got the rv ready to go, fine. Don't instruct me on every minute detail! Get on with the story!
Dave Schumm
Apr 20, 2016 Dave Schumm rated it it was amazing
Another great Mango Bob!

You just can't get enough of Bob and Walker. Great plots and numerous plights keeps you reading non-stop. Kudos to Bill Myers.
  • Mango Bay (Mango Bob, #3)
  • Bats and Bones (The Frannie Shoemaker Campground Mysteries #1)
  • If Errands Could Kill (Minivan Mom Mystery, #1)
  • Silenced by the Yams (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #3)
  • Dead in the Water (Rebecca Schwartz, #4)
  • Death Runs in the Family (The Alvarez Family Murder Mysteries, #3)
  • The Returns (The Returns, #1)
  • Driving Me Nuts!
  • Savannah Martin Mysteries Boxed Set 1-3 (Savannah Martin mysteries)
  • Gator Aide (Rachel Porter, #1)
  • Artfully Yours (Maggie Kean Misadventures, #3)
  • The Shadow of Death (The Psalm 23 Mysteries #9)
  • The Death of Amelia Marsh (A Sally Nimitz Mystery, #1)
  • An Unholy Communion (Monastery Murders, #3)
  • Moonlight Mayhem
  • Eminent Domain (The Mitzy Neuhaus Mysteries, #2)
  • Headaches Can Be Murder
  • London Broil (Wendy Darlin Tomb Raider #2)

Mango Bob (2 books)
  • Mango Lucky (Mango Bob, #2)