Mango Bob (Mango Bob, #1)

Mango Bob (Mango Bob #1)

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Walker's task should be simple: drive the Love Bus 1,200 miles cross-country to Florida and deliver a cat named Mango Bob to a woman he's never met. But things are never really as simple as they seem. An unsolved murder involving the Love Bus and the Mexican mafia, along with a major case of mistaken identity, complicate Walker's efforts. Add a crazy gun-toting senior citi...more
Published April 27th 2012 (first published April 2nd 2012)

Annette
This is a very short read. That might be because the ending evidently is in another book.
The writing is good. I liked the information about taking on an RV, I liked the information about the traveling from Arkansas to Florida. The plot is interesting and not a carbon copy of other cozy mysteries.

I think that Mr Myers is an author who can create an interesting plot.

Walker is having a bad week. His wife is divorcing him, he no longer has a job, and because of the divorce he no longer has a place...more
Margo
I wanted to like it, really, being free and all. But the Dragnet-Joe-Friday sentence structure was hard to deal with, and in the end, there was no end; it was like a serialized thing where you're supposed to read the next installment (except I won't).
Michael
Good light read. With characters like Johnny Walker and Jack Daniels how can you go wrong? I now know enough about Class B+ motorhomes I think I'm ready for retirement as a snowbird.
Wendy
Loved this book. Want to rent a RV now. Can wait for the next book to come out.
Mary
Fun read! Liked it! Good vacation book....
Lisa
It is an extremely rare occasion that I award a book five stars, but I'm going to do so with this one. It's simply wonderful! Without giving too much away, Walker suddenly faces many significant changes in his life which somehow result in his transporting a cat (Mango Bob) in an RV from my beloved home state of Arkansas to Florida. He finds new relationships and adventures along the way. I was hesitant to read this book because I was afraid something bad would happen to the cat. I'll admit there...more
Bobbye Hudspeth
I can't understand the four and five star ratings. It is really tough for me to give a book less than three stars, because I know firsthand how much work goes into getting even a "bad book" to the finish line. I think I was being kind giving this one two stars though.

Poorly written, characters that I frankly hoped someone WOULD put a bullet into, just to get them out of my misery. Named after a cat that got only brief mentions and even it's long-lost owner just pats him on the head and says "Is...more
Catherine Mcneill

I got this book for Kindle free from Amazon. I actually liked the story but felt it was odd for a fictional piece because the writer actually used a lot of technical writing in this book. After finishing this book, I read that the author mainly writes DIY type books, and this was probably his first fiction book. I agree with one of the other reviewers, that the main character lacked emotion. It was almost an advertisement for this particular model of Winnebago camper the main character lived in...more
Kristi
First, what I liked about Mango Bob: I liked the premise of the story. I liked the descriptions of RV life which were vivid and interesting. It’s clear that the author is passionate about RVing, and it comes out in his writing. I liked the cat.

Now here’s what I didn’t like:
1. Grammatical errors. I’m usually pretty understanding when it comes to self-published fare, but this one had enough problems to drive me crazy. An apostrophe is possessive; it is NOT for making things plural! Geesh.
2. Stilt...more
Jamie
Cathartic.

There may not be a better one-word description of the bizarrely titled Mango Bob, the tale of an unremarkable American man, admirably coping with the imperfect cards life has suddenly thrust upon him. There’s not a great deal more to it, but that’s the beauty of the beast. It doesn’t weave a complex mystery, draw an intense emotional response or provide laugh-out-loud humour. It neither wants nor needs to. What it does, is offer a refreshing change of pace and a procedural style of fir...more
Danny L. Peele
Disappointed

Disappointed

I guess I've been spoiled by reading Carl Hiassen. I expected characters with depth and a
credible story line. Unfortunately neither of those things can be found in this book. The events in the story are written like a grocery list: This happened and then that happened and so on. This story could have been so much better.
Thomas Scancarelli
Fun book, reads fast

I love Bill's laid back style of writing. unfortunately, I started with the last ebook and went to the first. Still, fun Florida reading.
MomIsReading
Potential here but desperately needs an editor. Yet I find myself wanting to see what happens in #2.
Jg
Short, quirky, summer read
Heidi

I am genuinely baffled by the 4 and 5 star ratings. This book is an RV owner's manual wrapped in a Walmart commercial. I can understand wanting to say kind words because the book was free (or the author is family or friend) but let's be realistic. The only well written parts of this book are the instructions on setting up your RV at a campground. If all of the pointless instruction and descriptions were edited out, this would be a good short story.
Carrie
This book was just....strange! It seemed like a step by step manual for how to drive an RV rather than a storybook. I guess the blurb I read online prior to obtaining the book really didn't describe it well. Mango Bob didn't actually play that big a part in the book at all, which is rather odd considering the title and the description I read. Still, though, it was just amusing enough to keep me reading.
Katy
This is a cute story about a recently divorced man, who didn't mind he was being divorced, agrees to drive his new home, a camper trailer named the Love Bug to Florida to deliver a cat named Mango Bob. Murder, mystery, and mayhem ensure.

There was a bit much on how to park, travel, and check parts on a camping trailer, but it was a cute story. I'll read more Mango Bob stories.
Joyce
A man loses his job, gets dumped by his wife and moves into an RV known at the Love Bus. En route from Arkansas to Florida to deliver a cat (Mango Bob) to a friend's sister, he encounters car jackers, a couple of retirees, one of whom just happens to be a retired Boston cop, the sister and an assortment of adventures. Quick, fun reading.
Jul 06, 2012 Lisa rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
A good-hearted, relaxing read, but not all that funny. Also way too much time spent with the main character either buying things, filling out paperwork, or doing chores. He seemed to have very little emotion, too. There was almost no action in the book--there were bursts of action, but no suspense.
Renée
Nothing challenging about this read other than to get through way too much character background, superfluous characters, and a sadly predictable outcome. Characters were cliche, not kitschy, and the "story" doesn't even begin until 38% into the book. I will not be reading the next in this series.
Nicky
It ready a little like a manual on how to operate an RV , and the characters can appear to be a little two dimensional, but I still found it entertaining and have even bought the next book in the series. Hope Sarah is nicer in this one.
Bridget
This was a cute story, funny plot line. But it felt a litle forced, a little too much "this happened, and then this happened and then he felt that..."

But it was enjoyable. It made for a nice beach read.
GIZMO
certainly not perfect but a clever plot and I for one want to know what comes next
Michele
This book was fast and quirky and hilarious. Stopped at a great point in the action.....what will happen next? Going to check out what else this author has written.
Daniel
If i wanted to know how to take care of an RV I would get a manual. I pretty much skimmed this entire book and did not really like any of the characters.
Nora
This is a good little piece of eye candy. Like popcorn, after having read one I wanted to read more. Also a good treatise on how to take care of an RV. :)
Kenneth Campbell
Parts of this seem like a journal. If you tell me you got the rv ready to go, fine. Don't instruct me on every minute detail! Get on with the story!
Chris
Good...about a guy going through a bunch of changes in his life. Story paced like a road trip...which it is!
Lisa
Has potential - love the cat idea. The writing was a little too sparse and terse for my liking.
Vicky
Very quick read. Simple and fast moving. Excited to read Mango Lucky next.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Mango Lucky (Mango Bob, #2)