Start by marking “Si douce sera la mort” as Want to Read:
Si douce sera la mort

Si douce sera la mort

3.38  ·  Rating Details ·  5,074 Ratings  ·  392 Reviews
La chaleur du Mississippi est étouffante, les insectes
grouillent. Catherine Linton, vingt-trois ans, s'entraîne à tirer sur des cannettes devant une cabane. Elle est interrompue par une odeur pestilentielle. Une main dépasse de la porte, celle du cadavre ensanglanté d'une femme... l'infirmière de son père. Cette fois, le shériff de Lowfield la croira quand elle lui dira q
Mass Market Paperback, 246 pages
Published June 13th 2012 by J'ai lu (first published March 6th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Si douce sera la mort, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Si douce sera la mort

Cathy DuPont
Mar 21, 2012 Cathy DuPont rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone I like!
Shelves: put-down
In the opinion of my favorite bookseller Vanessa, Charlaine Harris is one of the most under-rated authors around today. After reading most all of her series, I tend to agree with Vanessa.

However...however, this Charlaine Harris' first book was terrible and didn't come close to her other books which I enjoyed so very much.

Wasn't very fond of the character, Catherine, at all. She was whiney, wishy-washy, and not a person I would want to hang with or even shake hands with. And it took forever to
Jennifer Ready
As a great fan of Harris's Southern Vampire Series with Sookie Stackhouse, I was interested in reading her other work. I just read Shakespeare's Landlord and really disliked it, so I was leery when I picked up this book, one of Harris's earliest.

I was, however, pleasantly surprised. I found Catherine Linton to be a likable character and the story to be engaging. Catherine has returned to inhabit her parents' house in a small Mississippi town after their suspicious deaths in a car accident. Not
Dec 28, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this one up because I've read the Sookie Stackhouse series (which are cheesy but totally awesome), but I don't think I'll be running out to pick up her other books. I know this is a first book, so I guess it's pretty good for a first book, but still...I almost feel like this was the outline for a book, and the rest was just waiting to be filled in.

The whole book takes place in the span of 3 days-ish, and the characters are definitley one-dimensional. There is a twist at the end, but it
Jim
This was mostly interesting because it was Harris' first published novel. It could have been trimmed a lot. Far too much thinking going on. Still, it wasn't a bad mystery & the heroine shares a lot with Harris' other ones. Well read.
Elodie  Diebolt
Oct 31, 2012 Elodie Diebolt rated it it was amazing
Je ne pouvais pas passer à côté de ce roman pour la simple et bonne raison que je suis une fan inconditionnelle de l’auteur!! Les thrillers sont des romans que j’apprécie tout particulièrement donc raison de plus pour me lancer dans cette lecture. La couverture est vraiment superbe et le synopsis laisse présager une histoire haletante et pleine de mystère! Je remercie Ayma pour me l’avoir prêter en livre voyageur!

Tout commence donc avec Catherine qui a l’intime conviction que ses parents ne sont
Aaron
Nov 10, 2010 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charlaine Harris is one of the biggest supernatural writers right now thanks the the series True Blood, which is loosely based on her Sookie Stackhouse books. It was this first novel that she kicked off her writing career, which is primarily focused on cozy mysteries set in the rural South.

Originally published in 1981, this novel is the sole outing for Catherine Linton. She has just returned to her hometown of Lowfield, Mississippi, and settled into a job as a reporter for the local newspaper. O
CRO
May 25, 2011 CRO rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Charlaine Harris fans
Ok - this is actually a 2 1/2 star book.

I started reading this (am a fan of all the Sookie Stackhouse and Auror Teagarten books) and I was amazed and surprised. It started out as a 3 1/2 to 4 star book. Great characters, great mood and tension, great description of this small southern cotton town in the early 80's - I was really impressed because I know this is one of Charlaine Harris' first novels. And the first 7/8 of the book is incredibly well crafted - each detail and nuance of plot and cha
Jeannette
Dec 14, 2010 Jeannette rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Someone else likened Sookie Stackhouse books to cotton candy: nothing but air and fluff, but once you have it in sight, you kind of crave the sweetness and junk. Sweet and Deadly was more like an appetizer: it was okay, but as soon as I'd finished, I was craving something more substantial.

I'm sure this book was written to give the reader that sense of a slow, sleepy Southern town where nothing has ever happened... until now. This might have even been an attempt to give the secrets revealed in th
Robyn
Aug 11, 2011 Robyn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have not read any other Charlaine Harris novels, so cannot compare this one to her Sookie Stackhouse series. However, I was rather unimpressed with Sweet and Deadly and was only mildly appeased to learn that this was her first novel. While the writing was okay, the character development was minimal, at best. The reader gets no sense at all about the main character, Catherine, and thus feels no sympathy for her. She's a blank canvas. And none of the other characters are any more complex or deve ...more
Lobo
Apr 02, 2015 Lobo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Talán nincs mindenki tisztában azzal, hogy Charlaine Harris első magyarországi megjelenése egy másik sorozathoz köthető, nem a True Bloodhoz. Hanem az Albatroszhoz, amelyik a 60-70-80-as években képviselte Magyarországon a színvonalas szórakoztatóirodalmat. A Magvető Kiadó ezen sorozat keretében jelentette meg Chandlert, Christiet, Kinget, McBaint, Rejtőt stb. Annak idején a könyvtárban külön polcon voltak (krimi, sci-fi egybeöntve) és én szorgalmasan olvasgattam őket. Amikor összeraktam a molyo ...more
Michalyn
Aug 28, 2010 Michalyn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery, 2010
I've become a huge fan of Charlaine Harris because of the Sookie Stackhouse novels and am warming up to the Harper Connelly mysteries. Sweet and Deadly however, was a joke, even more so when one reads the glowing reviews on the cover. Not only is the heroine unlikable, she is a total Mary Sue and too much the fictional ideal of the Southern lady. I was annoyed by the fact that this woman never seemed to use her pre-frontal cortex--all thoughts come to her as if in a dream. Wisps of ideas float u ...more
Caety
Jan 24, 2014 Caety rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this reclusive character and how Charlaine handled her thought process to solve this murder mystery. Although I know this was one of Charlaine's earlier books, I was expecting a little more of the gory details like the Sookie series. The ending made sense to a certain degree and I was surprised by who the murderer was, but it left me feeling blank...like what did I miss in trying to figure out who the murderer was.

I would actually rate this book a 4 for the most of the book.
Corrie McMurtry
I picked this one because I've enjoyed other Harris books and it fit a category on a reading list.
it wasn't horrible but it was great either. you have to remember though it was her first book. and I did enjoy it when looking at tge world in the south in 1981. I kept having to remind myself that it took place 30 years ago in the south and things like cell phones and computers were not in small towns and the ideas of black and white were different.
it could have been better with more fleshing out o
Sara
Mar 24, 2012 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like 3.5 stars. I thought for her first novel, it was written pretty well. Although, the reason for the killer to do his crimes seemed a little farfetched but regardless it was interesting book. One funny thing though that shows how dated it is, is when Catherine finds the body in the beginning and I remember thinking well, why didn't she just use her cellphone and call the police instead of driving there. And then it hit me, Duh it's 1981. lol
Lightblue
E' il primo libro che leggo della Harris e sicuramente le darò un'altra possibilità con la serie di Sookie, ma con questo thriller non mi ha convinta per nulla. E' un libro insipido, talmente lineare da risultare banale e senza nessun colpo di scena. Poi vorrei capire il senso del titolo e di tutte quelle api in copertina...
Mary Bird
This was an interesting book to read, as it's actually quite bleak. You can see the signs of a lot of her fictional concepts beginning here, but it's pretty absent of the humor and almost the hope that her later works seem to embody. However, I enjoyed it. It was intriguing, both on its own and as the landmark from where Harris' career originated.
Shannon
Oct 15, 2015 Shannon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Left a bit to be desired. The mystery built and built, only for the answer to culminate with literally 3 pages left to go in the book. The fallout just kinda left me going, So, I had to go thru all that just for this? Still, a decent read for it to be Mrs. Harris's first book ever published.
Carolyn F.
Good mystery with a little romance.
Alexandra
You can see a glimmer of what's to come in Harris' later work in this novel. I've read all of her series work and truly enjoy her character development, this book fell short of what I've come to know and love from her but it was certainly interesting to read her early work.
Linda
Feb 22, 2017 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to go wrong with Charlaine Harris. I love all of her books.
Megan
Feb 25, 2017 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bad ending. That's it? Hmm
Sunshine
Hmmm. Okay then.

So, this was a short "little" read. For being Charlaine Harris' first work, it isn't bad...but I *did* notice that her bad writing habit of overusing the word "little" which has been a prevalent pet-peeve of mine with all of her works began here. Sigh. Moving on...

This was an odd sort of tale.

There were several extra added details and red herrings added in that I believe she eventually worked the kinks out of in her later writings.

I can truthfully type that I did not see the end
Lanette
Mar 04, 2017 Lanette rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So, I bought this book at the thrift store because there were bees on the cover and that, combined with the title, made me think this would be a book involving bees. Or honey. Or beekeepers. Or something like that.

Nope, just poorly developed characters and an implausible resolution. Thankfully, it was a quick read.
Tarika
Feb 28, 2017 Tarika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly do not know how to describe this book. While it was a nice read and presented all the necessary elements the story needed to function, I am disappointed that the story didn't present a means to discover who the murderer was. All in all, it's still a good read.
Bonnie Randall
Mar 11, 2013 Bonnie Randall rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozies
Kickin’ it old school with Charlaine Harris’ debut novel, circa 1981.

Sweet & Deadly is dated. Everyone smokes, phones can be left off the hook, there are typewriters, and marijuana is the Big Bad Drug in town.

Catherine is a young adult recently orphaned when she discovers the body of her father’s old nurse, beaten to death. She soon learns that the corpse (an unlikeable, solitary, starched sort of woman) was a local blackmailer and back-door coat-hanger abortionist who many may have wanted d
Cheryl
Aug 06, 2012 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet and Deadly is one of Charlaine Harris' earlier, if not earliest books. It was originally published in 1981 and the entire book, from narration to setting to plot hinge on that fact.

Taken as a mystery, Sweet and Deadly is kind of dull and pretty predictable. It's the story of Catherine, a recent college grad who's parents died just six months into her first job as a reporter. The story begins six months after that when she discovers the body of her father's (a doctor) nurse.

The interesting
Starling
Mar 03, 2010 Starling rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Lauren
Charlaine Harris is one of my favorite authors, and my interest was piqued when I found Sweet and Deadly, her first novel, at a yard sale for a dime. For her first novel, it is highly accomplished, containing a great mystery with several jarring scenes, great timing, and some overall powerful writing.

Sweet and Deadly takes place in a small Mississippi town with Catherine Linton as its protagonist. Catherine, the last child in the long-running and highly respected Lindon lineage, has returned ho
Mkb
Sep 15, 2016 Mkb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty good. I was interested by the reminders that life was very different in 1981. The technology in the newsroom where the character works is like a history lesson, people smoke (including our heroine) in the novel a lot, and the heroine wears shirtwaist dresses which she has left from university because that's what the girls wore to class.
Kathy Martin
Dec 11, 2015 Kathy Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Catherine Linton is back in her home town of Lowfield, Mississippi, after the death of her parents in a car accident. Catherine left her first job after college as a reporter and returned home to try to come to terms with her loss. She is working for the local weekly paper as the society reporter and trying to find her way out of the depression that she fell into when her parents died.

She has never felt that her parents' accident was really an accident but the sheriff who is also a family friend
  • Powers of Detection: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Murder, They Wrote (Includes: Aurora Teagarden)
  • Aunt Dimity: Snowbound (Aunt Dimity #9)
  • Glossed and Found (A Bath and Body Mystery, #3)
  • The Alpine Vengeance (Emma Lord, #22)
  • Seraph of Sorrow (Jennifer Scales, #4)
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • Sisters in Crime (Sisters in Crime, #1)
  • How to Murder the Man of Your Dreams (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #6)
  • Claws
  • Death Will Have Your Eyes
  • The Trouble With Witches (Ophelia & Abby, #3)
  • Death Makes the Cut (Jocelyn Shore #2)
  • Legend of the Jade Dragon (A Chintz 'n China Mystery, #2)
  • Bite (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #8.5, Sookie Stackhouse, #5.1, Undead, #2.5, Mageverse, #1.5)
  • Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)
  • Shadows On The Soul (The Guardians of the Night, #3)
  • The False-Hearted Teddy (A Bear Collector's Mystery, #2)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr
More about Charlaine Harris...

“Food, the southern offering on the altar of crisis.” 6 likes