Start by marking “The Paris Affair (Charles & Mélanie Fraser, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Paris Affair (Charles & Mélanie Fraser, #6)

The Paris Affair (Charles & Mélanie Fraser #6)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  28 reviews
In the wake of the Battle of Waterloo, the Bourbon court in Paris and their victorious allies give lavish parties while the Royalists are quick to exact vengeance for everything since the Revolution. Countless Bonapartists are arrested and executed in what comes to be known as the White Terror. In this seething atmosphere British attaché and spy Malcolm Rannoch learns that ...more
Published March 26th 2013 by Kensington Books

To ask other readers questions about The Paris Affair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Paris Affair

Seduction by M.J. RoseThe Aviator's Wife by Melanie BenjaminThe Firebird by Susanna KearsleyThe Midwife's Tale by Sam   ThomasThe White Princess by Philippa Gregory
Historical Fiction 2013
74th out of 584 books — 2,366 voters
Delia's Shadow by Jaime Lee MoyerThe Fortune Hunter by Daisy GoodwinThe Tea Rose by Jennifer DonnellyBittersweet by Colleen McCulloughDare to Love Again by Julie Lessman
Ladies Wearing Hats
13th out of 149 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Misfit
This book picks up shortly after the events in Imperial Scandal. Malcolm's latest assignment is Paris, post Waterloo. Paris is a hot bed of intrigue, plots, spies and counter spies - and a big mystery about his illegitimate half-sister (now dead, see Vienna Waltz), and Malcolm and Suzanne are once again in the thick of things - and really too complicated to try to spell out in a review. I don't do book reports :p

I enjoyed this a lot, especially seeing more of Malcolm and Suzanne's relationship (
Amy Lignor
This latest book by one of the ‘best’ when it comes to delivering thrills, is focused once again on the Rannoch family; Malcolm, an aristocratic British diplomat, and his wife, Suzanne, whose family was absolutely ruined by Napoleon’s war. These two are true spies and have many secrets they keep from the public - not to mention each other - with a backstory that’s extremely engaging.

Finding themselves in the middle of an investigation of a French informant (double agent, Count Antoine de Rivere
Kate Forsyth
Teresa Grant has written a series of historical mystery novels set during and just after the Napoleonic Wars. Her French heroine Suzanne is married to an English attaché and spy, and together they negotiate their way through murder, intrigue and passion. The stories are always a little slow, but the historical detail is spot-on and the interaction between the characters and their slowly unfolding relationships makes up for it.
Tiff
Teresa Grant has done it again. I love these books. Absolutely LOVE them. Be ready to become immersed in culture, mystery, romance, and history.
A.
It has been two months since Napoleon's defeat at Waterloo and Paris is a hot bed of unrest. The old French royalty are being reinstated to the rule the country and British soldiers are everywhere. It is a powder keg waiting for a spark. Malcom and Suzanne meet in a public bar to meet Antoine Rivere, a french double agent and blackmailer. He manages to share to tidbits of information before a brawl ensues and Rivere is killed without Malcom and Suzanne witnessing who did it. They begin to invest ...more
Blair McDowell
Aug 31, 2013 Blair McDowell rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of historic fiction
Shelves: my-reviews
This is the first book I’ve read by Teresa Grant but it won’t be the last. This adventure, one of a series featuring husband and wife team, Malcolm and Suzanne Rannoch, is set in post Napoleonic Paris, at the time of the restoration of the monarchy. It holds a marvel of historic detail seldom found in such novels. Grant has researched the period thoroughly and has added to the verisimilitude of her complicated and involved plot by threading real historic figures through it in ways that are centr ...more
Ashley Arthur
I have been ready for this book ever since I finished Imperial Scandal back in June of 2012, and Teresa Grant did not disappoint me. I sat down with this book and was immediately hooked from the first page onward, and before I knew it, an hour and a hundred pages had positively flown by. This is an absorbing mystery and a great addition to the series.

Picking up almost immediately where Imperial Scandal left off, The Paris Affair drops Malcolm and Suzanne Rannoch in the midst of post-Waterloo Par
Alice
Excellent third book in series. The characters are becoming more complex and well defined. Lots of intrigue in 1815 Paris. Highly recommend.
Judith
I am reading these out of order and so found some of the interpersonal connections confusing at first, which is more my fault than the fault of the author. Our library has only two of Grant's books, so out-of-order is inevitable. Keeping track of the many characters is helped by the list of all characters in the books, which is further enhanced by the author's noting which are entirely fictional. Nonetheless, this book is like a classic Russian novel, with so many characters linked in so many wa ...more
Kristen
I really enjoyed this story! A departure for me on several levels but a really exciting, fun read!

The French Revolution and its aftermath is a period of historical fiction I have not read a great deal in. But it was presented in such an engaging and interesting way in the book that I was quite engrossed in the various machinations of the characters as they attempted to do their interconnected, but often secretly conflicting spying activities. It was great fun!

What I loved the most about this boo
Kathleen Freeman
Rita	 Marie
Usually one can come into a novel series without problems. Not this one. Such masses of backstory, such reams of infodumps -- overwhelming. So there was that.

Then there was the plot. Extremely complex. By the end it seemed as though everyone was someone else's long lost brother, cousin, heir to the title, etc. Romantic relationships, of which there were MANY, were equally entangled. Much discussion of the nature of true love. Much.

Not my cuppa tea. But madly creative plotting. A star or two fo
Kathy
Well, I did read all 427 pp. I know I have read one or more of the earlier books and did not feel strongly about them - more negative than positive. I'm done with this series now for certain. It was mushy dialogue to put it nicely. So very far away from what appeals to me, but at least I gave it another try due to my fondness for historical fiction. I suppose it would appeal to people who watch soap operas?
Sylvia Abrams
This is the third Rannoch spy novel I've read. Although it has as many plot twists as the previous two, I think I have developed Rannoch fatigue. Teresa Grant's franchise set of aristocratic diplomat spies appear again in Paris. This novel's resolution is more minor key than Vienna Waltz or Imperial Scandal. Clearly, Grant intends to write another adventure for the Rannochs to be set in England.
Deborah
I liked this book, but felt that the characters and the story were both too complex. Perhaps there is a prior book that tells the backstory of the main characters, but this book just alludes to a history and provides some clues. So much happens in this book, that it was hard to remember what the main mystery was - there were three or four intertwined mysteries and it was difficult to keep who was related to whom straight. I have the feeling that is missed a prequel.
Sharon
This novel follows a husband-wife pair of spies working for the British in Paris after Waterloo. It's part of a series I haven't read. The author struck a good balance between relating current events and filling in the back story, but I still had a difficult time following the loyalties of the various characters. I figured out who the culprit was when he first appeared - I thought immediately of other works I've read in this genre.
Angela
I don't know why I put off reading this one so long after it finally came out. I read all the others last fall, & it was easier to keep track of all the characters and circumstances then. So this one had me struggling in confusion thru at least the first half of the book, which was uncomfortable. Her books are very complicated with multiple characters, plots, backgrounds & stories woven together, but I had a hard time with this one, so I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the others. I ke ...more
danse
I didn't read anything from the series and did not feel like that was a detriment in understanding the mystery. I enjoyed the mystery even if the pacing was off. I didn't think the balance between the mystery and the main characters was well-down.

I disliked the main characters. They didn't seem to fit the time period. Their romantic turmoils was not interesting, in comparison to the main plot. While they felt three dimensional, they also felt extremely irritating. I couldn't sympathize with them
Christine Graham
I didn't know this was a series and jumped in on book 6. It was good when I wasn't lost.
Emma Collyer
Fantastic characters and a compelling story. Tracy Grant's books are always a page turner and a great escape.
I wanted to like this more than I did, and there were parts that were very enjoyable, but overall the pacing lagged and parts of it felt rather redundant or repetitive. I kept reading to find out what would happen in the end--and the last few chapters were the best--but for the most part, every time I picked it up, I'd think of something else I wanted to do more. A book that should have taken me a couple of days instead stretched to more than a week. Not a good sign.
Sanna
I've read all this author's books about Napoleonic spies, and liked them a lot. But this one seemed too much of a retread of the others. I couldn't help keep noticing how all the characters speak in the same sentence constructions and all they ever talk about is love and marriage. I appreciate the extensive historical research.
Mary
Complicated. Many characters and relationships to keep track of. I liked the interaction between the H/h but there wasn't enough of it. I will keep reading the series.
Rachel
I want to read the others in this series. They remind me of a very good version of Tracy Grant or Tasha Alexander.
Another good story about this couple.
Lisa P
Another book by Grant I thoroughly enjoyed - Great spy mystery! In this book, the protagonists are named Malcolm and Suzanne Rannoch, not Charles and Melanie Fraser - although readers will easily recognize the characters. Grant does a much better job with Malcolm and Suzanne than she ever did with Charles and Melanie, although all the stories are exciting.
Katie
Excellent!
Suzanne Brown
Suzanne Brown is currently reading it
Apr 13, 2015
Raymond Stone
Raymond Stone marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 16, 2015 10:27AM
  • The Mask of Night (Charles & Mélanie Fraser, #4)
  • India Black and the Shadows of Anarchy (Madam of Espionage Mystery #3)
  • The Gilded Shroud (A Lady Fan Mystery #1)
  • Castle Rouge (Irene Adler, #6)
  • When Gods Die (Sebastian St. Cyr #2)
  • Growing Up
  • A Crimson Warning (Lady Emily, #6)
  • Silent Night (Lady Julia, #5.5)
  • The Gentleman's Walking Stick (Captain Lacey, #6.5)
  • Mortal Arts (Lady Darby, #2)
  • Sweet Poison (Lord Edward Corinth and Verity Browne, #1)
  • A Rather Curious Engagement (Penny Nichols, #2)
  • The Hellfire Conspiracy (Barker & Llewelyn, #4)
Also known as Tracy Grant.
Teresa (Tracy) Grant studied British history at Stanford University and received the Firestone Award for Excellence in Research for her honors thesis on shifting conceptions of honor in late fifteenth century England. She lives in the San Francisco Bay Area, where she is on the board of the Merola Opera Program, a training program for professional opera singers, coaches,
More about Teresa Grant...

Charles & Mélanie Fraser (8 books)
  • Secrets of a Lady (Charles & Mélanie Fraser #1)
  • Beneath a Silent Moon (Charles & Mélanie Fraser #2)
  • Vienna Waltz (Charles & Mélanie Fraser #3)
  • The Mask of Night (Charles & Mélanie Fraser, #4)
  • Imperial Scandal (Charles & Mélanie Fraser, #5)
  • The Berkeley Square Affair
  • The Mayfair Affair (Malcolm & Suzanne Rannoch Historical Mysteries Book 9)
Vienna Waltz (Charles & Mélanie Fraser #3) Imperial Scandal (Charles & Mélanie Fraser, #5) His Spanish Bride (Charles & Mélanie Fraser #5.5) The Berkeley Square Affair The Paris Plot (Charles & Mélanie Fraser, #6.5)