Start by marking “Artemis Fowl: La Bande dessinée (Artemis Fowl #1)” as Want to Read:
Artemis Fowl: La Bande dessinée (Artemis Fowl #1)

Artemis Fowl: La Bande dessinée (Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novels #1)

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,420 Ratings  ·  413 Reviews

In 2001, audiences first met and fell in love with a twelve-year-old criminal mastermind named Artemis Fowl. Since then, the series has sold over seven million copies in the United States alone. Now, this phenomenally successful series is being translated into a graphic novel format. Eoin Colfer has teamed up with established comic writer Andrew Donkin to adapt the text. F
Published January 2009 by Gallimard (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Artemis Fowl, please sign up.

A graphic novel version of the first book in the Artemis Fowl series.

I was highly disgusted with the illustrations in the book. Butler's neck was drawn out of proportion and was a revolting mass of flesh that only made me feel ill. Further more, the rest of the illustrations, the ones that I had crafted in my head when I had first read the book were NOTHING like the ones in this book. Everybody was crudely drawn and uglier then I could have imagined. Among the opening chapters was a page that I
Alena
May 02, 2009 Alena rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I love the Artemis Fowl book series, but in my opinion the heavily-stylized artwork of the graphic novel really detracts from the story -- to the point where I'm too busy shielding my eyes from the lumpy, mutated character designs to actually read any of the text.

I generally enjoy graphic novels (as anyone who has seen my manga and comic book collection can attest), but I find the presentation of this specimen fairly uninteresting. For example, looking at the front cover: Does this picture make
Jenny Ko
Feb 24, 2016 Jenny Ko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Πολύ ενδιαφέρον graphic novel! Ωραιά γραφικά, γρήγορη πλοκή. Μου φάνηκε ότι τέλειωσε γρήγορα οπότε πιστευω το ιδανικό θα ήταν να διαβαστεί πρώτα το βιβλίο και ύστερα το graphic novel σαν συμπληρωμα. Πολύ καλή προσπάθεια όμως.
Katrina
Aug 07, 2008 Katrina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Reluctant Sci-fi/Fantasy Juvenile Readers
Shelves: juvenile
Overall I really liked this book. I understood that the characters features would be exagerated (as they are in many GNs) and so I was only slightly disappointed in the artists depictions. My biggest complaint about the characters was the portrayal of Butler. I alwasy saw him as a huge guy but with slightly more finesse and style. I was also a little shocked by the sexyness of Holly. Our very first view of her is in a tank-top that is falling off and boyshorts and our second is of her in the sho ...more
Kathryn
Who knew Butler is blond, Artemis is near anorexic skinny and Julius is, well, gray. I loved the visuals that a graphic novel can give a book to make it come alive.

While the graphics are amazing, the story hasn't changed, in fact, it looses a lot of its depth because it is so short. The two best things about the Artemis Fowl books are the sharp dialogue and rounded characters, and both of these qualities are lost in the graphic novel.

Because I am already a huge fan of Eoin Colfer and the Artem
Celine
Summary: Based on the children's book (or YA?) Artemis Fowl, this graphic novel follows a child genius trying to kidnap a fairy for ransom.

What I liked:
- I used to absolutely love the Artemis Fowl books, and read them all when I was about nine or ten. Since that's quite a while ago now, I had mostly forgotten about the details of the story and it was lovely to revisit my childhood hero (who doesn't want to be an extremely intelligent criminal mastermind?)
- This graphic novel doesn't seem to pre
Kayla Loewen
Pretty good. I like the artwork.
Soobie's heartbroken
I read Artemis Fowl back in high school. That means more or less fifteen years ago. I actually loved him more than Harry Potter and it was one of the first books I've read in English as well as in Italian.

Think about it for a moment. It was, let's say, the year 2000. Amazon was something that existed only in the US; the only way to get books in English was to actually go to an English-speaking country. But yeah, you could find something here and there but those books were soooo expensive. Artem
Catherine
Dec 06, 2010 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GRAPHIC NOVEL REQUIREMENT- Ok, so I loved this graphic novel. I'd read the original Artemis Fowl series, and so for my graphic novel requirement I thought it would be interesting to read this version to compare. It's a little bit upsetting to see some characters depicted so differently than I had pictured them, but I think the plot of the story fits perfectly with this genre. Artemis Fowl, twelve-year-old evil genius, has discovered the book of Faerie and decides to kidap a member of the faerie ...more
L-Crystal Wlodek
In 2001, the Artemis Fowl novel was published. As a result of the novels popularity, Artemis Fowl has been transformed into a graphic novel format. Through this graphic novel, readers will be able to see and experience the underground fairy world, examine Foaly’s inventions, and follow their favorite character as this graphic novel is action packed and is designed with full-color panels.

Even though this graphic novel is action packed and I am a big fan of the original novel, I did not particula
Rebekah
Nov 29, 2013 Rebekah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Artemis Fowl: The graphic novel by Eoin Colfer and Andrew Donkin is about a boy named Artemis Fowl, a twelve year old who is one of the greatest criminal masterminds of the century. After the mysterious disappearance of his father, Artemis tries to save his family's declining fortune. Once he finds out that fairies exist, he begins to search for fairy gold. In search of fairy gold, he finds that he might need to hold a fairy hostage in order to find it. Artemis tells the fairies that he will rel ...more
Julie Decker
I read the non-graphic-novel version of Artemis Fowl (and reviewed it here), and while I loved that story, this graphic novel didn't capture the same feeling. Having visuals was nice, but on top of the descriptions not matching the book's descriptions in some cases (most notably Holly, who seems whitewashed and more traditionally feminine than described), it pushed the story toward being more action-oriented than I like. Artemis also doesn't come across as the arrogant, brilliant character he do ...more
Patrick
A quick read. A young bad-guy genius trying to become rich, there is little to not like about the idea.

The panels are consistently lovely. Colorful drawings allow the reader to frame and place a plot that meanders. Full-page illustrations, although rare, are a striking addition to the work.
Garrett Lammey
Feb 26, 2015 Garrett Lammey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very smart kid
Marina
Jan 06, 2016 Marina marked it as will-not-read-finish  ·  review of another edition
I wondered for a long time whether to read this graphic novel or not since I really enjoy the Artemis Fowl series and seeing it visualised (even as a graphic novel) would have been great.

However, the art does not appeal to me at all- but I would have still considered reading the book. But I flipped through the book to look at the characters and some of the artistic choices just make zero sense.

The problems:

- The cover. Boring.
- The art is very darkly-colored. I expected more bright, more colorfu
Samantha Farr
This graphic novel narrates the first adventure of criminal mastermind Artemis Fowl. He discovers the fairy race, kidnaps LEP Captain Holly Short, and holds her for ransom seeking gold to save his father. The fairy race, however, plans to avoid giving in to the ransom and seeks first to save Holly and find themselves constantly bested by Artemis.

While I absolutely adore Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl, I was less than enthused with the graphic novel. Mostly because I don't like graphic novels, but al
Amy Lindsay
I finished but did not much like the original book of Artemis Fowl, but as a graphic novel, it is waaaayyyy cool. When I first saw that they turned it into a GN I thought it would be a great hook to get kids into the whole series. NOW, I'm hoping they just go ahead and GN all the books in the series. Excellent art can do amazing things to a story. When a teacher friend walked into the room where I was reading this today, I didn't even look up. "Wow," she said, "You're really in the ZONE."
Emmanuel hidalgo
Oct 16, 2012 Emmanuel hidalgo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I'm still reading this book i know half of the story already. so this boy named Artemis from (mafia) and holly (fairy) so they are going to stop the goblins from taking over the world. also the leprocons are trying to help the fairies to stop them. also holly was risking Artemis life for him because she wants to have Artemis and his dad back together because his dad is missing.and holly is thinking in her mind why am i helping Artemis if hes a top criminal of the Mafia and hes only 17 yrs old.
Biserka
May 03, 2015 Biserka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic, kids
Well... This was an OK graphic novel at most.
The story doesn't really have any depth to it. I felt as if the characters were just doing things out of no real reason. I did not see a realistic strong personality in any of them. As I did not read the actual Artemis Fowl novels, I can not really judge the characters completely, but the way Artemis Fowl was portrayed, it really made me not like him and not care about him at all. I did like the ending of the little plot though. I felt like it closed
Jenell
Sep 14, 2009 Jenell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Artemis Fowl Fans
Shelves: owned
It's the "first" of Artemis's adventures translated into graphic format. It's great for getting into the series, great for review, great addition to any AF collection, basically it's a great book.
The graphic is astonishing, being different, sort of sketchy and georgeously coloured. It's nice to see other people interpretions of these wonderful characters.
However, if you read this but not the novel, I advice you to read it. I imagine it not working well as a standalone piece.
Ethan Huynh
May 31, 2015 Ethan Huynh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yal-reàd
Ambs ❤❤
Sadly, Giovanni Rigano and Paolo Lamanna totally let me down as to what I imagined Foaly & Butler to look like. Yes, I'm sure they are exactly like Eoin Colfer envisioned, but it wasn't what I had in mind. Other than this, the graphics were nicely done!

This story, although condensed, followed Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1) quite well. However, I wasn't impressed by this story to begin with. I do have to say, that although I wasn't totally sold on the visual characters and and the story, I d
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Colfer, Eoin, Andrew Donkin, Giovanni Rigano, and Paolo Lamanna. Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel. New York: Hyperion for Children, 2007. Print

This review is also posted on Get Kids to Read:http://www.mrtierneyslibrary.com

Artemis Fowl The Graphic Novel is an adaption of the classic Artemis Fowl book by Eoin Colfer. The story is of Artemis and his capture of Holly Short. He holds her ransom so that he can force the fairy folk to use magic to heal his mother. The novel is a must read and the graphi
Karissa
Jan 31, 2014 Karissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been wanting to read this for some time. I have read all of the Artemis Fowl books up to The Atlantis Complex and enjoyed them. This was a well done adaptation of the first full length Artemis Fowl novel into graphic novel format.

This graphic novel covers the first Artemis Fowl book. That is the novel where Artemis manages to trap Holly and gain access to some of the Fairy’s technology. There are dossiers of the characters and places at the end of each chapter that add quite a bit to the s
Ryan
Aug 07, 2008 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: "artemis fans" ya
Shelves: ya, thinker, laugher, drama, irish, crime
I've listened to, or read, all the Artemis Fowl books. So picking up the graphic version just made sense. It's a great way to take in the first Fowl story. Solid depictions of the characters make it fun to look at and read. Plus it's a super fast read. I like to read slowly, especially when I've got pictures to look at, and I was finished with this thing in an hour or so.
Erin
Sep 05, 2008 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was a nice visual experience after having read the other books in the series. It was interesting to see the interpretations of the characters, though some were not even close to what I pictured. Who would have thought Mulch Diggums could be cute? I'd recommend reading the original first, as this one is somewhat abridged.
Dina
Aug 14, 2008 Dina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a 5 star rating from someone who has never read the actual book (but now wants to). Not sure how it holds up in comparison, but I thought this was extremely well done and entertaining. Can't keep it on the shelves in the Children's Room where I work either, which is the highest praise, I suppose.
Shira Karp
Apr 22, 2008 Shira Karp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a nice graphic novel interpretation of the first book. Although Butler looked VERY different than I ever pictured him. Obviously quite a lot was cut out, but I thought it was done very well so the story still made complete sense and the art in this book was also very nice.
Miss Clark
Sep 23, 2008 Miss Clark rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Though interesting to see what the characters were envisioned to look like, I cnnot say that the style of the book enhanced my experience of the story, even though I've enjoyed comic book stories before, but always with stories that I have read exclusively in that format.
Sarah Thompson
I chose to read this book because I have read the original Artemis Fowl series with my younger brother. I loved the original books but was not necessarily a fan of this graphic novel edition. The storyline is the same as the original but it has been transformed into an entirely different book with the collaboration with Andrew Donkin. I think that there is too much going on in the illustrations and it almost distracts from the text bubbles rather than enhancing them. I am not sure how young read ...more
  • The Amulet of Samarkand (The Graphic Novel)
  • Point Blanc: The Graphic Novel (Alex Rider: The Graphic Novel, #2)
  • Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess (Olympians, #2)
  • Challenge (Wicked Lovely: Desert Tales, #2)
  • Gettysburg: The Graphic Novel
  • Kith (The Good Neighbors, #2)
  • Pilot & Huxley: The first adventure
  • Nightschool: The Weirn Books, Vol. 3
  • The Great Pet Escape
  • The Legend of Drizzt Omnibus, Vol. 1 (Legend of Drizzt: The Graphic Novel, #1-3)
  • The Red Pyramid (The Kane Chronicles: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • Animal Man, Vol. 5: Evolve or Die!
  • Curses! Foiled Again (Foiled, #2)
  • Cleopatra in Space, Book Two: The Thief and the Sword
  • The Revealing (W.I.T.C.H. Graphic Novels, #3)
  • Monster on the Hill
  • Titans, Volume 1: Old Friends
  • Kimmie66
Eoin Colfer (pronounced Owen) was born in Wexford on the South-East coast of Ireland in 1965, where he and his four brothers were brought up by his father and mother, who were both educators.

He received his degree from Dublin University and began teaching primary school in Wexford. He has lived and worked all over the world, including Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Italy. After the publication of the A
More about Eoin Colfer...

Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novels (4 books)
  • The Arctic Incident: The Graphic Novel (Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novels, #2)
  • Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code. The Graphic Novel
  • The Opal Deception: The Graphic Novel (Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novels, #4)