Start by marking “Lessons for Survivors (Cambridge Fellows, #9)” as Want to Read:
Lessons for Survivors (Cambridge Fellows, #9)

Lessons for Survivors (Cambridge Fellows #9)

Cambridge, September 1919 Orlando Coppersmith should be happy. WWI is almost a year in the past, he's back at St. Bride's College in Cambridge, he has his lover and best friend Jonty Stewart back at his side and-to top it all-he's about to be made Forsterian Professor of Applied Mathematics. With his inaugural lecture to give and a plagiarism case to adjudicate on, ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 200 pages
Published July 13th 2012 by Cheyenne Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Lessons for Survivors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lessons for Survivors

Mark
If a bit of sleuthing and solving murders Sherlock Holmes style is your thing then this book will be right up your street. I just loved the the way this book was set out, intelligent, well-written and a perfect historical backdrop to go with it.

Jonty and Orlando are back in Cambridge after surviving WWI. they have now got a bit of a name for themselves as detectives and soon get their next case. They feel a little out of practice as it has been a while since their last one, but take it on as the
Terry
Aug 06, 2012 Terry rated it liked it
It was fantastic to meet up with old friends Jonty and Orlando again in the latest Cambridge Fellows novel. I had been looking forward to this book for what seems like forever, well since I read "All Lessons Learned". To say I was disappointed would be about right and I have not been able to put my finger on why really. I think maybe this is a transition novel after having lost Jonty's wonderful mother and father and his sister not yet fully fleshed out as a replacement for his mother - that ...more
Ulysses Dietz
Mar 22, 2015 Ulysses Dietz rated it really liked it
Good grief. How does one begin to talk about the ninth of the Cambridge dons series? Jonty Stewart and Orlando Coppersmith are such old friends now.

I cannot find my review of the last book in this series, “All Lessons Learned” on Amazon. Could I possibly have not written a review? It was years ago, perhaps I wasn’t obsessively writing reviews for every book I read; perhaps I simply emailed Charlie Cochrane, as was my habit for every author whose work I liked. All those emails are lost on an old
Edina Rose
Jul 21, 2012 Edina Rose rated it really liked it
Another Jonty and Orlando adventure. It takes place before the events of book 8, and they are as charmingly original as ever.
Sophia
A murder mystery set in Post-WWI Britain that has the added boost of a strong, steady romance for the detecting team. It also has the status of being the ninth book in a much loved series that shows no signs of winding down or weakening even though the last one felt the pinnacle and grandest of grand finales of the series.

Ah, I was so excited to read this one in that lazy afternoon-get cozy way, to settle near my fire with a flavorful cuppa (in my case hot chocolate since I don't like tea- gasp
Suze
Oct 01, 2016 Suze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit of a different feel to this book - not good, not bad, just different.
I do feel the loss of Jonty's parents, they were such great characters.
The feel is more stable, no big excitement, no big mystery. But there is a potential danger to their life on Madingley Road and a mystery that, whilst not grabbing in its audacity, certainly sends Jonty and Orlando round in circles.
Jonty and Orlando have got back to a more mature even keel after the shake up that was The Great War. They seem to have co
T. Smith
Jan 25, 2015 T. Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder, mystery and a forbidden romance between the two would be detectives trying to solve the case. The backdrop is Britain around WWI at a small Cambridge college while lovers Jonty and Orlando try to keep their romance behind closed doors and contained to the double bed they share, all while trying to solve the mysteries that encircle their lives.

Orlando is now a Professor and if that weren’t enough to make him stress and fret like only Orlando can do, someone is blackmailing him. At the sam
Heather
Sep 21, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
Not quite a year out of the war and it looks like things are getting back to normal, or at least as normal as Jonty and Orlando are familiar with. Everything seems to come to their doorstep all at once, when doesn't it though? Just as Orlando is trying to write his lecture for his professorship, he's also on a committee that's overseeing a plagiarist case involving "the college next door" and the dreaded Owens that is still holding a grudge for not having solved the Woodville Ward case ...more
Plainbrownwrapper
Jan 14, 2014 Plainbrownwrapper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, read-again-maybe
I'm a big-time fangirl of this series. I don't think I could give less than a 4-star rating to any of em, no matter what. There is just such a warm heart behind all the characters that I can't help but love most everything about them.

Now, I don't think this was a standout addition to the series. For one thing, there is much too much repetition as Cochrane constantly reminds us of bits and pieces from previous books in the series. For another, the deaths of Jonty's parents leave a big hole (as, o
Wart Hill
Mar 18, 2015 Wart Hill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, arc2014, netgalley
Things I Find While Shelving

I received a free ARC Via NetGalley

I’m not really sure what all I can say about this book beyond I really liked it.

I haven’t read the earlier books in the series, but I didn’t feel lost or anything. I loved the characters, they’re very clear and distinct. Orlando and Jonty have very clear personalities, and they work very well together both as partners solving crimes and as lovers.

And I was definitely intrigued by the mystery. Very loopy and wtf-y. Though I called a b
Tamela
I enjoyed this installment in the lives of Orlando and Jonty. It feels so good to see them growing in their relationship and to hopefully be settling in after the devastation of the war and the losses they suffered.

I truly missed Jonty's parents as they were both such vivid characters and rounded out the circle of those who trusted and loved the MC's. It is great to see how Jonty's sister is becoming another true support for them, though it will take a lot to fill her mother's shoes :)

Loved this
Pooh
Apr 04, 2015 Pooh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lessons .......

When she wrote, All Lessons Learned, I disparaged that there would be no other. Thank you Charlie for bringing our beloved Cambridge Fellows from St. Brides back into our lives. Surviving more than the war,Coppersmith and Stewart, once again have more than enough going on in their lives, when another mystery comes walking through the door. This time with riddles, and a time limit. They have to prove to themselves, they can do it, just as they learn they are Survivors.
Melanie
Mar 07, 2013 Melanie rated it really liked it

Rating: 4.75 stars for the book, 5 stars for the series. To read my complete review visit http://wp.me/p220KL-14p

For a followup interview with Charlie Cochrane about the series, read my Questions & Answers with Charlie Cochrane to be posted on 3/8/2013 at http://scatteredthoughtsandroguewords...

Cambridge Fellows Mysteries is one of Scattered Thoughts Best Historical Series, no matter the year.
Anne Barwell
Jan 16, 2013 Anne Barwell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, m-m
An enjoyable addition to the Cambridge Fellows series. It's nice seeing Jonty and Orlando moving forward after the war and getting back into the sleuthing and this was an interesting case with several twists and turns in it. I like stories where the characters are a little older, so it's an added bonus that the author has jumped forward in the timeline for the last two stories although I'm hoping she does fill the gaps leading up to the war years at some point.
Stevie Carroll
Aug 17, 2012 Stevie Carroll rated it it was amazing
This series just gets better and better. We lost some of the regulars in the last book, but now others have come into their own. I love the wealth details from of actual historical scandals woven into one of the subplots and the skill with which each puzzle helps to shed light on the others. Plus the humour is as excellent as ever.
Aug 02, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Mystery, romance and a whisper of blackmail - thoroughly entertaining. I've not read the earlier books yet but despite this it was easy to slip into the story. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Theodora IK
Jan 27, 2015 Theodora IK rated it really liked it
I think this is a good book to read when you want to relax. There is no sweaty palms or cold feet, no sense of urgency, no urge to finish and finish it now either. This book suited my mood after a previous marathon of 7 action-packed books.

Teresa
Jan 21, 2015 Teresa rated it really liked it
4 stars

The first Charlie Cochrane I've ever read, even though it's the ninth in the series. A nice little mystery taking place at St Bride's College just after the war. The main characters are educators, amateur detectives and roommates. Nicely paced.
Sylvie
Jan 29, 2015 Sylvie rated it it was amazing
I love Jonty and Orlando. This one was sweet and so much less painfull than the previous one... I loved it.
Cyndi
Cyndi rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2015
Higgs
Higgs rated it really liked it
May 05, 2014
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Becky Black
Becky Black rated it really liked it
May 21, 2015
Elisa Rolle
Oct 26, 2015 Elisa Rolle rated it it was amazing
2012 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Liz Burnside
Liz Burnside rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
Sarah rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2013
LOLA
LOLA rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Black Dragon
Black Dragon rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Cody Conaway
Cody Conaway rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2014
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Backlot Gay B...: Lessons for Survivors by Charlie Cochrane 1 4 Mar 22, 2015 05:53AM
  • The Psychic and the Sleuth
  • The Amethyst Cat Caper (A Tea House Tale, #1)
  • Blessed Isle
  • The Dark Farewell
  • Convincing Leopold (London Legal, #2)
  • The Back Passage (Mitch Mitchell Mystery, #1)
  • Dash and Dingo: In Search of the Tasmanian Tiger
  • Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)
  • Bonds of Earth
  • One Indulgence (Indulgence, #1)
  • Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin, #2)
  • Willing Flesh (Inspector Raft Mystery, #1)
  • The Left Hand of Calvus (Warriors of Rome, #1)
  • The Door Behind Us
  • Seducing Stephen
  • Don't Let Go (Tyack & Frayne, #3)
  • A Case of Possession (A Charm of Magpies, #2)
  • Downtime
Because Charlie Cochrane couldn't be trusted to do any of her jobs of choice—like managing a rugby team—she writes. Her mystery novels include the Edwardian era Cambridge Fellows series, series, and the contemporary Best Corpse for the Job. Multi-published, she has titles with Carina, Samhain, Riptide and Bold Strokes, among others.

A member of the Romantic Novelists’ Association, Mystery People a
More about Charlie Cochrane...

Cambridge Fellows (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Lessons in Love (Cambridge Fellows, #1)
  • Lessons in Desire (Cambridge Fellows, #2)
  • Lessons in Discovery (Cambridge Fellows, #3)
  • Lessons in Power (Cambridge Fellows, #4)
  • Lessons in Temptation (Cambridge Fellows, #5)
  • Lessons in Seduction (Cambridge Fellows, #6)
  • Lessons in Trust (Cambridge Fellows, #7)
  • All Lessons Learned (Cambridge Fellows, #8)
  • Lessons for Suspicious Minds (Cambridge Fellows, #10)
  • Lessons for Idle Tongues (Cambridge Fellows, #11)