Start by marking “The Assassin and the Underworld (Throne of Glass, #0.4)” as Want to Read:
The Assassin and the Underworld (Throne of Glass, #0.4)

The Assassin and the Underworld (Throne of Glass 0.4)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  6,170 ratings  ·  465 reviews
When the King of the Assassins gives Celaena Sardothien a special assignment that will help fight slavery in the kingdom, she jumps at the chance to strike a blow against an evil practice. The mission is a dark and deadly affair which takes Celaena from the rooftops of the city to the bottom of the sewer--and she doesn't like what she finds there.
Published May 1st 2012 by Bloomsbury

To ask other readers questions about The Assassin and the Underworld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Assassin and the Underworld

Booknut
Sam...is such...a CUTIE!! I'm officially in love *swoon* B-but when I remember that he's not in Throne of Glass:

Margarita
"In the silence of her bedroom, she swore an oath to the moonlight that if Sam were hurt, no force in the world would her back from slaughtering everyone responsible."

I think this is the best novella so far. I still have to read the last one but this.. This made me love Sam a whole lot. I can't convey enough how much my heart hurts now..

"The moment I woke up after he beat me, I realized I have to leave. Because I was going to kill him if I didn't. But I couldn't." He studied her face. "Not u
Claudia
5 cuoricini ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤

Niente stelline, cuoricini!
Cuoricini per il mio Sam *.*
Perché lui è puccio e bello e forte e valoroso e ancora puccio!
E io lo amo.

Ora però dovreste darmi un valido motivo per leggere l'ultimissimo racconto e rovinare così il mio stato di beatitudine.
Non lo voglio il libro, non lo voglio! Non voglio dovermi innamorare di nuovi personaggi...io voglio SAAAAM!

"Cerca di non macchiarle di lacrime mentre suoni. Non sai quanta gente ho dovute corrompere per averle."
Si lasciò ca
Pavlina loves Dex ❤❤
I Loved it. Celaena, Sam, the series, the author, I love everything about it. I loved the fact that Sam was back in this novella.I'd really missed him in the 2nd book!!!! He is such a great guy and I love the way he looks out for her!One of my favourite book!!!
•Anna•
Scuotere ripetutamente Celaena e urlarle, quasi con rabbia, di amarla.
Non c'è storia!

La migliore dichiarazione del mondo. ♥
ajia
I just love Sam and Celaena so much! they are so cute together <3
Tiffany
Knowing what happens to Celaena, and what happens to Sam, it is getting increasingly harder for me to read on. I'm just getting more and more sad over what Arobynn does, and more and more sad that I like Sam so much.

This novella was very dramatic. The way that Arobynn attempts to make it up to Celaena, hearing about what had happened with Sam's punishment, and the betrayals and close calls with death...

Sam swore violently and began yanking on the grate cover again. "Come on," he whispered, mor
Alz
The previous two novells I rated 2 stars because they were okay, ultimately marred by the fact that Celaena is annoyingly bratty and constantly prating about how she's Adarlan's Assassin and the best of the best, claims that are never really supported by what happens in the story--i.e., she seems like an okay-ish assassin, but hardly the Super Amazing Badass Assassin of Doom of her reputation. Another problem is that the plots are (even for novellas) extremely straightforward and predictable to...more
Amie Kaufman
Absolutely fantastic! Just like she brought a pirate port and the red desert to life, Sarah Maas brings the astonishingly intricate city of Rifthold to life in this fantastic novella! You can really see that she's spent years working on this world--there's layer upon layer in there, and always the sense that if you could veer away from Celaena and peer around the corner, you'd see the rich city life going on, because Sarah knows exactly what's going on everywhere.

The story becomes more intricate...more
Lisa
Actual Rating: 1.49 stars

The Assassin and the Underworld was my least favorite of the four Throne of Glass prequels, mostly due to the introduction of Lysandra, the typical mean-girl slut (in this case she is literally a whore) who hates the protagonist for no discernible reason except perhaps jealousy. There is a lot of slut-shaming in this story, and once again female promiscuity is linked to mean/negative behavior. Throughout the novella, Lysandra's profession is given as a reason for why Cae...more
Elisabeth Wheatley
Awesome! I didn't get a lot of work done yesterday because I was sucked into this story. (Good thing I'd already got my school projects done ; ) I read the snippet for Throne of Glass, so I was worried sick that something would happen to Sam.

The worst thing about this book was how it ended. I am now neurotic because this book doesn't explain how Celaena ended up in the salt mines. Her being there means that some Horrible Event happened. Well, the Horrible Event that I was bracing myself for didn...more
Monique
I went on a reading binge with the Assassin novellas, and this one was my favourite. I suppose it's for obvious reasons (the love story between Celaena and Sam). I read Throne of Glass before these stories, so I knew how things were going to end up. But I still liked seeing them fall in love. The two of them are extremely frustrating at times (mostly Celaena) because they are fighting each other and not really saying what they feel. Celaena has limited experience when it comes to love, and doesn...more
Alex
Fino ad ora il mio racconto preferito.
Sam che si dichiara con rabbia ed amore... É la dolcezza in persona!
Celaena in questo racconto é perfetta: determinata, spietata, fragile e intensa.
Arobynn sei un bastardo della peggior specie ~.~
La Maas scrive divinamente ;)
Krispy
I was disappointed with this one, and it was my least favorite of the novellas, because it left me feeling very unsatisfied. I understand that the ending is meant to be a hard lesson learned by our heroine, but it just really felt like she lost out on this one - and a lot of it was her own fault. The way things went, it turned every advantage, every offensive action, that she finally had upon returning to Rifthold into something she had to use defensively. Non-spoilery analogy: it's like if you...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
The hardest thing about reading these prequel novellas is I know what will happen to a few characters and I really like them so I don’t want to get to attached. But let’s face it Sam is pretty adorable, in an I can kill you kind of way, so it is impossible to not get a little attached to him.

Celaena is back from her time in the desert certain that she will pay off her debt and leave Arobynn. At least that was the plan until she sees him and he apologizes for beating her. It is complicated thing...more
Daisy
This is my favourite of the Throne of Glass novellas so far - and that means something. I love this things so much, they're so good and are literally a whole separate book in each novella. There's so much story and the characters are so real and exciting, I just love them to bits.

The Assassin and the Underworld is set, again, straight after the previous novella, when Caleana is returning back to her master to give him her letter of approval from the Mute Master. But she's surprised to find Aroby...more
Marika
Questo è indubbiamente il racconto che ho amato di più fra i primi tre...chissà perchè!! (Sam *.* ♥♥♥)
Mi sono totalmente innamorata del personaggio di Sam..è un ragazzo meraviglioso: premuroso, protettivo, dolce e la sua dichiarazione è stata qualcosa di davvero fantastico!! ♥
(view spoiler)
Ovviamente continuo ad...more
Dánae
Que amor más lindo, dioses.

Me encanta Celaena y sé que lo he dicho mil veces, pero es que no me canso.

–Bueno, pues a mí sí que me importa lo que pienses de mí. Me importa tanto que me he quedado en esta horrible fiesta solo por ti. Y me importa tanto que asistiré a mil más para poder pasar unas horas contigo siempre que no me mires como si no mereciese ni el polvo de tus zapatos.

Celaena jamás había besado a nadie. Y cuando rozó los labios de Sam y él la cogió por la cintura para atraerla hacia...more
Cecilia
La più bella delle novelle, per ora.
Non avendo parole per descriverla, non ora almeno, non dopo averla appena conclusa, dirò solo:
SAM, SAM, SAM, SAM, SAM.
Karoline
Que historia tan dolorosamente hermosa (porque sé lo que pasa después).

Cada historia me gusta mas. Me gusta como Celaena va recobrando su autonomía y al final deja al maldito de Arobynn porque... ¡ES UN INFELIZ BASTARDO! yo pensé que me seria incapaz odiar personajes pero en fin, él ENSERIO merece mi odio.
Creo que siento que traiciono a Chaol por shippear a Celaena y Sam en estas historias, pero es que... aghhhh, yo no puedo odiar a Sam.
Presiento que lo que se viene en la siguiente historia no...more
Veronica
* I don't care if these are just novellas, these are just as great as the actual novels and if you at all felt any inkling of love towards the Throne of Glass series, then by Gods, what are you waiting for!? *

I've gone and done it guys. I've gone and done the stupidest thing of all things stupid. I've fallen for Sam.

I should know better, I really should....

Why did I fall in love with Sam's character when I know their story arc is doomed...

WHY!?!?!?

As a general rule, I don't usually give novell...more
Il Cibo della Mente
Della serie "recensioni sull'onda delle emozioni del momento"...
posso dire che vorrei prendere Arobynn e staccargli la testa a morsi?! Fargli del male fisico, torturarlo, prendergli quella testa di c... tra le mani e cavargli gli occhi dalle orbite....

Mamma mia che odio profondo per questo infimo bastardo... che nervoso! Pagherei oro per essere uno dei personaggi e trovarmelo di fronte -.-

Non lo so come fa Caleana, ma spero che si vendichi presto e lo faccia molto mooolto lentamente... però, non...more
Erika
May 04, 2012 Erika rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of fantasy, YA, and adventure books.
It keeps getting better and better!

I Loved it. Celaena, Sam, the series, the author, I love everything about it. I can't wait for the last novella and finally, the novel.

And I'm dying.

Review to come, I guess.
Lilyan
Sam, you are perfect. I'm afraid to read the next novella because there's a possibility you're going to die in that one.

I can't do it. Every page will pain me.

description

Also: DAMN YOU AROBYNN. YOU LITTLE SHIT. He makes me so angry.

description

This series is causing me way too much emotional stress

Maria
Just amazing! The third novella by Sarah J. Maas was a great read and I have to admit that now I like even more Celaena. The author has create a world-building like no other and there were many times while reading it that I wished to be part of this world and to fight with Celaena. What I found very interesting is that some of the situations in the story are not usual in a YA book, so my personal opinion is that this story isn’t totally a YA fantasy book.

Celaena is getting better and as an assas...more
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Entertaining look into an assassin on the job.

Opening Sentence: The cavernous entrance hall of the Assassin’s Keep was silent as Celaena Sardothien stalked across the marble floor, a letter clutched between her fingers.

The Review:

Freshly back from her adventure to the Red Desert, Celaena is excited to move on with her life. She plans to use the treasure she brings back to pay off her debts to Arobynn Hamel, the King of the Assassins, and fre...more
Ruth
4.5 Stars. After a summer in veritable exile, training with the Mute Master and his Silent Assassins in their desert fortress, Celaena Sardothien is at last free to return to the Assassin's Keep and resume her place as Arobynn's second, Adarlin's Assassin -- if she chooses. She determines to buy her freedom from the King of the Assassins, but her bold plan to flaunt her newly-won freedom are overshadowed by Arobynn's apparent regret for the beating that preceded her desert summer. Arobynn is cur...more
Faye {Daydreaming_Star}
This review was originally posted on my blog on the 30th June 2012, here with The Assassin and the Pirate Lord and The Assassin and the Desert

I really loved this one. It wasn’t nearly as intriguing as the first one, nor as exciting as the second but it was completely intense and interesting and really kept me turning the page. I could tell that certain things were going to happen which was a little annoying but it also just helped to show, once again, that Celaena is still only human. It was a g...more
A Book Vacation

To see my full review:

This is a great novella following the growth of Celaena as she is once again back in her hometown, having completed her training in the desert. What I’m noticing is that, as each novella unfolds, we are given more insight into Celaena’s life, her thoughts and feelings coming to the forefront, and we realize, more and more, that she really is just a 17 year-old girl looking for her place in life. Yes, she is an assassin, the b...more
Throne of Glass F...: The Assassin and the Underworld 7 27 Jul 26, 2014 08:28PM
Cameo 11 39 Oct 08, 2013 09:55PM
  • The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #0.5)
  • The Witch's Betrayal (The Assassin's Curse, 0.5)
  • The Witch of Duva (The Grisha, #0.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • The First Kiss (The Iron Fey, #1.25)
  • Bridge of Snow (Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Seraphina: The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • Ice Study (Study, #3.6)
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • Elemental (Elemental, #0.5)
  • Phoenix Overture (Newsoul, #2.5)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • The Queen's Army (The Lunar Chronicles, #1.5)
  • As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #2.5)
  • Night of Cake & Puppets (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5)
Sarah J. Maas is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Throne of Glass series (Heir of Fire, Book 3, will be out in September 2014). Starting in Spring 2015, her New Adult Fantasy series, A Court of Thorns and Roses, will be published by Bloomsbury as well.

Sarah lives in Southern California, and over the years, she has developed an unhealthy appreciation for Disney movies and...more
More about Sarah J. Maas...
Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2) Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3) The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass, #0.1) The Assassin and the Desert (Throne of Glass, #0.3)

“Please don't go."
He let out an uneven breath. "You'll be fine without me. You always have been."
Maybe once, but not now. "How can I convince you to stay?"
"You can't."
She threw down the torch. "Do you want me to beg, is that it?"
"No-never."
"Then tell me-"
"What more can I say?" he exploded, his whisper rough and harsh "I’ve already told you everything—I’ve already told you that if I stay here, if I have to live with Arobynn, I'll snap his damned neck.”
“But why? Why can’t you let it go?”
He grabbed her shoulders and shook her. “Because I love you!”
Her mouth fell open.
“I love you,” he repeated, shaking her again. “I have for years. And he hurt you and made me watch because he’s always known how I felt, too. But if I asked you to pick, you’d choose Arobynn, and I. Can’t. Take. It.”
The only sounds were their breathing, an uneven beat against the rushing of the sewer river.
“You’re a damned idiot,” she breathed, grabbing the front of his tunic. “You’re a moron and an ass and a damned idiot.” He looked like she had hit him. But she went on, and grasped both sides of his face, "Because I'd pick you."
And then she kissed him.”
94 likes
“You can't go."
"Give me a reason why I shouldn't."
"Because I'll miss you, damn it!" she hissed, splaying her arms. "Because what's the point in anything if you just disappear forever?"
"The point in what, Celaena?" How could he be so calm when she was so frantic?
"The point in Skull's Bay, and the point in getting me that music, and the point in... the point in telling Arobynn that you'd forgive him if he never hurt me again."
"You said you didn't care what I thought. Or what I did. Or if I died, if I'm not mistaken."
"I lied! And you know I lied you stupid bastard!”
62 likes